The Tuscan vinyard
Mike Ruddock
2017-04-15 07:39:43 UTC
I don't know how many umrats are watching this slice-of-life prog on BBC
2 apart from Brritski and myself, but there are some oddities about it.
1. How was this bunch of folk gathered together? Did someone put an
advert in a paper asking for anyone with time to spare and no knowledge
of Italian, like to have a working holiday in Tuscany?

2. There's something odd about the location: in the second programme the
sun is shown three times when rising and each time it rises the wrong
way (ie it comes over the horizon and start moving up and to the left,
whereas in the northern hemisphere (where I believe Italy is still
located) it rises up and the the right when viewed at dawn). I can only
suppose that they filmed sunset and ran the film backwards. Why? The
crew are obviously up early because we see that poor chap tramping round
the electric fence at 6am.

3. The continuity is very odd. IN the second programme we are shown the
moon several times. The first time it is at about the first quarter (so
about a week old), then we see it after the third quarter (about 23 days
old) and lastly we see it at first quarter again.

4, The business about getting the grape harvest in seems a bit
contrived. What would the owner have done about it had this lot of
know-nothings not come along? He presumably makes arrangements every
year to have his grapes picked on time.He would also have arranged for
the crates to be cleaned in advance.

It all smells of contrivance.

Mike Ruddock

---
Peter Percival
2017-04-15 08:24:06 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Programmes are all a contrivance.
Post by Mike Ruddock
Mike Ruddock
---
to me what you really mean.
2017-04-15 08:24:47 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
3. The continuity is very odd. IN the second programme we are shown the
moon several times. The first time it is at about the first quarter (so
about a week old), then we see it after the third quarter (about 23 days
old) and lastly we see it at first quarter again.
I've not seen the programmes, but that sort of thing generally
seems to be par for the course these days. It is an example of
what I once heard described as "cutaway to banana" - they need to
insert something to cover a cut, so will probably have a virtual
pile of vaguely suitable clips, and sprinkle them as required,
with scant regard for continuity.

A similar thing is in the police programmes, mostly filmed by
fixed cameras, but they cutaway to one of their aerial shots of a
high speed blue light run from another occasion.

And as for Portillo and his transport - just don't go there.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2017-04-15 12:50:30 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
And as for Portillo and his transport - just don't go there.
I do believe the continuity has got worse on recent UK ones. But I do
remember where a steam locomotive changed between two shots.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Marjorie
2017-04-16 17:13:48 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Sean O'Connor isn't editing it, is he?
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje

---
http://www.avg.com
Btms
2017-04-16 19:20:10 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Just the usual work experience placement I think. Following the trend.
--
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting