Farming Today, and Neil's pigs
2018-05-21 08:58:26 UTC
FT has been talking about welfare of animals. They did hens last week
in various kinds of barn, which are called free range as they can go
out too. This week I heard an item on pigs. And cows. I've felt guilty
about liking cows' milk and dairy products since I got specific
information about how the calves are removed from the cow at a very
early age and apparently now there are some farms trialing leaving
them with mum, which sounds better. I also like veal, but that's a
different guilt.

The item on pigs was about how the sow has to be in a tiny pen when
she farrows (farming term!) and there is no other way to do it, so I
presume that's what Neil's setup will have? The only alternative is
free range. I am definitely off non-free-range pig meat now, but free
range anything is so much more expensive as needs more land and care
:(. We eat very much less meat now though.
Mike
2018-05-21 11:01:33 UTC
[...]
Lidl are featuring ‘6 outdoor-bred British pork sausages’ in their current
catalogue - am I the only Umrat to envisage porky sausages walking around
the field?
2018-05-21 11:51:40 UTC
[...]
"Outdoor bred" is common for pork. It means the pigs are kept outdoors
until they're "weaner" size, at which point they are taken off to indoor
fattening units. If you want pigs to root around in soil their whole
lives you need to buy free range.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/farm/pigs/farming
SODAM
2018-05-21 13:00:46 UTC
Lidl are featuring ‘6 outdoor-bred British pork sausages’ in their current
catalogue - am I the only Umrat to envisage porky sausages walking around
the field?
No, they grow on bushes, like Richard Dimbleby’s spaghetti.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Mike
2018-05-21 13:41:07 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
Lidl are featuring ‘6 outdoor-bred British pork sausages’ in their current
catalogue - am I the only Umrat to envisage porky sausages walking around
the field?
No, they grow on bushes, like Richard Dimbleby’s spaghetti.
That was a gem of an April the first joke - nothing since has quite
compared IMHO. It looked so feasible too!
2018-05-21 14:39:02 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
Lidl are featuring ‘6 outdoor-bred British pork sausages’ in their current
catalogue - am I the only Umrat to envisage porky sausages walking around
the field?
You certainly aren't. But I think we've established before that we share
a style of interpretation of the language.
Post by Mike
Post by SODAM
No, they grow on bushes, like Richard Dimbleby’s spaghetti.
That was a gem of an April the first joke - nothing since has quite
compared IMHO. It looked so feasible too!
It is of course findable on YouTube. Beautifully done. Though I think
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I can't
think of any ATM, other than the BMW roundel one which got me, and is
one of those at http://hoaxes.org/af_database/display/category/bmw (that
"museum" lists quite a lot of good ones). Can't remember any other good
TV ones, though, though I do remember them being done - I think
"Nationwide" of fond memory, and the local news segments, often did them

"I'm not against women. Not often enough, anyway." - Groucho Marx
Kosmo
2018-05-21 17:01:33 UTC
On Mon, 21 May 2018 15:39:02 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
Kosmo
John Ashby
2018-05-21 17:09:18 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I
can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
The Grauniad.

The Isle of San Seriffe (I think that's how it was spelled) was divided
into Upper Caisse and Lower Caisse.

2018-05-21 17:55:50 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I
can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
The Grauniad.
The Isle of San Seriffe (I think that's how it was spelled) was divided
into Upper Caisse and Lower Caisse.
With rival tribes the Phlongs and Flongs, IIRC. The capital was Bodoni
and it was ruled by general Pica.

In the 70s people were less aware of printing terms and font names, of
course.
2018-05-21 18:26:07 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I
can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
The Grauniad.
The Isle of San Seriffe (I think that's how it was spelled) was divided
into Upper Caisse and Lower Caisse.
With rival tribes the Phlongs and Flongs, IIRC. The capital was Bodoni
and it was ruled by general Pica.
In the 70s people were less aware of printing terms and font names, of
course.
Our pair of Siamese x kittens were name Pica and Perky.
2018-05-22 01:08:00 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I
can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
The Grauniad.
The Isle of San Seriffe (I think that's how it was spelled) was divided
into Upper Caisse and Lower Caisse.
john
LOL! I didn't spot that at the time - probably not being familiar with
that use of "case" then.

Abandon hope, all ye who <ENTER> here.
Fenny
2018-05-21 18:30:09 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I
can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
The best one I saw in recent (last 10, anyway) years was when the
Guardian said they were going to switch to Twitter format and publish
all their stories in 140 characters. And were going to convert all
their archives likewise.
2018-05-22 01:06:08 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I
can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
Yes, that one was lovely. It was one of the broadsheets (though more
were broadsheets then), which periodically did a feature on some small
country, so this was in the style of one of those. IIRR, it was San
Serif (or possibly even San Serife), to sound more authentic. I wish I'd
nicked it from the school newspaper board and kept it.

Abandon hope, all ye who <ENTER> here.
Anne B
2018-06-06 08:33:10 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I
can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
I have an original copy of that article somewhere.

Anne B
Jenny M Benson
2018-06-06 09:16:42 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Kosmo
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
I have an original copy of that article somewhere.
I have long wished I'd kept a copy of the local newspaper which assured
us that there would be "no more queues a the Post Office" when it moved
to its new premises. It wasn't even the 1 April edition.

The "new" premises, alongside ex-T J Hughes, just down the street from
empty BHS with 4 or 5 empty shops between them certainly have no queues
now: they are empty. The PO has moved to the upper floor of W H Smith,
but I don't know if there are queues there or not because it's not so
convenient and I haven't been up there yet.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Kate B
2018-06-06 09:45:50 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Kosmo
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
I have an original copy of that article somewhere.
I have long wished I'd kept a copy of the local newspaper which assured
us that there would be "no more queues a the Post Office" when it moved
to its new premises.  It wasn't even the 1 April edition.
The "new" premises, alongside ex-T J Hughes, just down the street from
empty BHS with 4 or 5 empty shops between them certainly have no queues
now:  they are empty.  The PO has moved to the upper floor of W H Smith,
but I don't know if there are queues there or not because it's not so
convenient and I haven't been up there yet.
When our Crown Post Office closed (now partly a coin arcade betting
shop, and its beautiful green slate facade broken and filthy) and went
to WHSmith in the shopping precinct, service was initially vastly better
and just as convenient as the old office across the road. Now the queues
snake through the whole shop and it seems to have absorbed the general
gloom and decay that pervades any WHS.
2018-06-06 10:44:23 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Kosmo
[...]
I suspect that WHS is not long for this world. Its retail customers are
deserting it and now the newsagents and the press seem to be kicking up
a stink about it's anti competitive practices and it's lax delivery
schedules.

2018-06-06 11:11:30 UTC
I suspect that WHS is not long for this world. Its retail customers are
deserting it
It is certainly an unpleasant place to shop, but in Loughborough
there aren't that many alternatives, so I still pop in
occasionally, usually for cards, or an annual diary purchase.

There only appear to be self-service tills downstairs these days,
so I presume any actual staff must be upstairs with the books.

I can't quite put my finger on why the environment feels so
depressing. Maybe it is clutter or hard-to-fathom layout, I'm
really not sure.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-06-06 11:52:23 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
I suspect that WHS is not long for this world. Its retail customers are
deserting it
It is certainly an unpleasant place to shop, but in Loughborough
there aren't that many alternatives, so I still pop in
occasionally, usually for cards, or an annual diary purchase.
There only appear to be self-service tills downstairs these days,
so I presume any actual staff must be upstairs with the books.
I can't quite put my finger on why the environment feels so
depressing. Maybe it is clutter or hard-to-fathom layout, I'm
really not sure.
Chris
One of the slimming programmes on BBC I think had a go at them too for
making you walk a gauntlet of sweet and chocolate displays to get to
the checkouts. You have to go through that gangway with displays on
either side.
Mike
2018-06-06 12:13:19 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
I suspect that WHS is not long for this world. Its retail customers are
deserting it
It is certainly an unpleasant place to shop, but in Loughborough
there aren't that many alternatives, so I still pop in
occasionally, usually for cards, or an annual diary purchase.
There only appear to be self-service tills downstairs these days,
so I presume any actual staff must be upstairs with the books.
I can't quite put my finger on why the environment feels so
depressing. Maybe it is clutter or hard-to-fathom layout, I'm
really not sure.
Chris
One of the slimming programmes on BBC I think had a go at them too for
making you walk a gauntlet of sweet and chocolate displays to get to
the checkouts. You have to go through that gangway with displays on
either side.
Yes, it was a fight the fat campaign headed up by Hugh Fearnley Withinstall
(sp?), he mounted a huge display in the street opposite Mr. Smith’s
emporium consisting of thousands of bars and packets of chocolates.
Rosemary Miskin
2018-06-06 17:04:58 UTC
 so I still pop in occasionally, usually for cards,
Gorse Covert Post Office is good for cards these days and easier parking!

Rosemary
Jenny M Benson
2018-06-06 17:16:50 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
 so I still pop in occasionally, usually for cards,
Gorse Covert Post Office is good for cards these days and easier parking!
www.orchardcards.co.uk is EXCELLENT for cards ... and I believe there is
at least one Umrat who might confirm I am not just saying that because
it's my niece's company!
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Serena Blanchflower
2018-06-06 18:59:03 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
  so I still pop in occasionally, usually for cards,
Gorse Covert Post Office is good for cards these days and easier parking!
www.orchardcards.co.uk is EXCELLENT for cards ... and I believe there is
at least one Umrat who might confirm I am not just saying that because
it's my niece's company!
Yes, I can second that :) They're also very quick, which is great when
I've suddenly realised I don't have a suitable card for someone's
birthday! They've got the cards to me quickly enough that I can get one
back in the post, in time for the imminent birthday.
Q. Which bird always succeeds?
A. A budgie with no teeth.
Jane Vernon
2018-06-08 07:50:10 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
  so I still pop in occasionally, usually for cards,
Gorse Covert Post Office is good for cards these days and easier parking!
www.orchardcards.co.uk is EXCELLENT for cards ... and I believe there is
at least one Umrat who might confirm I am not just saying that because
it's my niece's company!
Bookmarked.
I have just started buying cards for some people, having given my own
cards for years.
--
Jane
BTME

2018-06-06 19:48:54 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
 so I still pop in occasionally, usually for cards,
Gorse Covert Post Office is good for cards these days and easier parking!
My weekly shopping expeditions are generally to Sainsbury's
(clockwise) so that is where I park. It is handy enough for the
market on Thursday, where I get much of my greengrocery, and
other town centre shopping. Annoyingly, they have completely
stopped stocking cartons of grapefruit juice from concentrate
(1), and I now have to get this from the nearby Tesco's. (2)

(1) Sainsbury's used to do an orange & grapefruit juice, which
was my favourite, but they withdrew it (3), and I have a carton
of each on the go at once these days.

(2) I wrote to Sainsbury's:

"I have shopped at Sainsbury's Loughborough store since it
opened, and have avoided Tesco. However, recently I walked the
couple of hundred yards to see if I could find some items on my
shopping list that you either no longer offer, or have never
stocked.

I was able to buy: grapefruit juice - from concentrate, Scott's
Porage Oats - Old Fashioned, toasted flaked almonds and Paul
Hollywood ready-to-bake seeded rolls. All but the last I have
previously bought from you.

I dislike having to visit several different places to do my
weekly shop, and there is now a risk that I might see how the
rest of their offering compares."

They made sympathetic noises, and said some of them would be put
forward for review, but I am not holding my breath.

(3) There is now a "Breakfast Juice" but it is 90% orange and 10%
grapefruit, whilst I prefer 50/50.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-06-07 09:31:32 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Rosemary Miskin
[...]
I am about to desert Tesco for Sainsbury's, so will balance out the loss
of custom from you.

I loathe our Tesco, the aisles are too narrow to accommodate ordinary
customers as well as all the order shelf pickers. Our local Sainsbury's
is a much more comfortable place to shop with the added advantage of
clothes - if you look carefully there are some real bargains to be had.
We have had to rethink our credit cards and there is no longer an Air
Mile advantage to shopping in Tesco and I am delighted.
2018-06-07 10:45:42 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Rosemary Miskin
[...]
I get alternate deliveries from Tesco and Morrisons, one week M and
next week T as each has things I want that the other does not. I also
go to the smaller Sainsburys a 5 minute walk away or the Asda on the
way back from the gym'n'swim.

I compare online items that all sell and try to get them in the weekly
shops, so as not to carry them. I can also stop at Sainsburys on the
way back from gym'n'swim and they have a Lloyds chemist where our
online prescription order to the Dr is sent. It takes quite a bit of
time checking it all!

I have the delivery saver deal from Tescos and that means those are
free but have to pay for Morrisons, so get the cheaper delivery times.
But everyone stopped doing the Weightwatchers little choc and toffee
ice cream pots, and now and then each has stopped selling something we
like. Asda claims to have the WW ices but doesn't.
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-07 10:47:24 UTC
Post by LFS
Our local Sainsbury's
is a much more comfortable place to shop with the added advantage of
clothes - if you look carefully there are some real bargains to be had.
But Tescos sell clothes too. I have now and then ordered items to be
delivered from them. They have, however, just really annoyed me by
saying my delivery saver will no longer cover anything but food.
Rosemary Miskin
2018-06-07 10:23:12 UTC
"I have shopped at Sainsbury's Loughborough store since it opened, ....
I wrote something similar when they stopped stocking Basic cornflakes,
whose flavour I prefer to the next version up.

The problem, I think, is that more and more space is being devoted to non-food,
so slower selling (or less profitable) items are dropped.

We've solved my problem by special ordering a box of six packets
as needed!

Rosemary

.
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I haven't seen Sainsbury's Basics Tomato Juice for a long time. I now get Lidl's. That and Lebkuchen Hearts in December are all I go to Lidl for.
Fenny
2018-06-07 20:19:19 UTC
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 10:04:58 -0700 (PDT), Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosemary Miskin
 so I still pop in occasionally, usually for cards,
Gorse Covert Post Office is good for cards these days and easier parking!
I used to live in Gorse Covert when I worked at BNFL.
2018-06-06 14:21:39 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Kosmo
[...]
More empty shops in British high streets. The centre of Oxford is now
deeply depressing.
2018-06-06 16:55:41 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Kate B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Kosmo
[...]
About 20 years ago I was part of a team which went around all the Higher
Education engineering departments to tell them^W^W find out what they
wanted for IT provision. One of the Unis on my list was Bradford and I
went up there shortly before Christmas. At that time, even on a weekday,
Oxford city centre was a heaving maelstrom, whereas Bradford was all
tumbleweed and crickets. That brought home to me what a sheltered place
Oxford was, economically, and the reality of the North/South divide.

Now the new Westgate shopping centre has sucked shops out of their
customary places in the central streets, surrounded them with expensive
eating experiences and my impression is that footfall is way down
overall. The Covered Market is deserted, shops that moved have not been
re-let and the only people on the streets are the strings of tourists
desultorily following their flag-waving guide.

As you say, deeply depressing. But at least the North/South divide may
be narrowing.

2018-06-06 17:14:56 UTC
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 11:44:23 +0100, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
I suspect that WHS is not long for this world. Its retail customers are
deserting it and now the newsagents and the press seem to be kicking up
a stink about it's anti competitive practices and it's lax delivery
schedules.
I haven't shopped in WHS for many years, unless in an airport and I
had a voucher to use. They are so much more expensive than anywhere
else, I just don't bother.
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
I had to go to WHS on Monday to get the current RT. We had been in a different region all last week and the village PO had sold out. But I got the new one in the PO.
Nick Odell
2018-06-06 21:58:55 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Kosmo
[...]
Sorry. That should have read "and now the newsagents and the press seem
to be kicking up a stink about WHS Wholesale and it's anti competitive
practices and lax delivery schedules."

2018-06-06 22:31:00 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I suspect that WHS is not long for this world. Its retail customers are
deserting it and now the newsagents and the press seem to be kicking up
a stink about it's anti competitive practices and it's lax delivery
schedules.
It will be a loss to Newtown if it goes. Not just because it's the only
shop that sells new books here but it is one of our 'tourist attractions',
housing a tiny WHSmith museum upstairs, because so many of the original
fixtures and fittings still existed on the premises.
2018-06-07 17:10:27 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Kosmo
[...]
Nick
Not forgetting the fact it thinks its a sweet shop.

I bought a lined writing pad there recently - it was only lined on *one*
side. I couldn’t believe it. It was all they had, and I don’t write as
neatly without lines.

2018-06-07 17:22:56 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Anne B
Post by Kosmo
[...]
Sincerely Chris
Feintly ridiculous I think.
2018-06-06 12:28:48 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I
can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
I have an original copy of that article somewhere.
Anne B
Yes, it was a pull-out, of the style they were in the habit of doing at
that time (a pull-out section about some small country or region).

Your copy is probably quite valuable! (Should you ever get round to
scanning it, please share!)

"In the _car_-park? What are you doing there?" "Parking cars, what else does
one
do in a car-park?" (First series, fit the fifth.)
Penny
2018-06-06 22:44:36 UTC
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:28:48 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I
can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
I have an original copy of that article somewhere.
Anne B
Yes, it was a pull-out, of the style they were in the habit of doing at
that time (a pull-out section about some small country or region).
Your copy is probably quite valuable! (Should you ever get round to
scanning it, please share!)
There are scans of it here http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/san_serriffe
Click on each page for a larger view.
2018-06-07 06:57:35 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I
can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
I have an original copy of that article somewhere.
Anne B
Yes, it was a pull-out, of the style they were in the habit of doing at
that time (a pull-out section about some small country or region).
Your copy is probably quite valuable! (Should you ever get round to
scanning it, please share!)
There are scans of it here http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/san_serriffe
Click on each page for a larger view.
Thanks Penny.

"The success of this hoax is widely credited with inspiring the British
media's enthusiasm for April Foolery in subsequent years."

Shirley shome mishtake ? I think the April Fool jokes in the press
started long before 1977 BIMBAM.
Penny
2018-06-07 09:46:24 UTC
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 08:57:35 +0200, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I
can't
I remember a newspaper and the island of sans serif, 70's?
I have an original copy of that article somewhere.
Anne B
Yes, it was a pull-out, of the style they were in the habit of doing at
that time (a pull-out section about some small country or region).
Your copy is probably quite valuable! (Should you ever get round to
scanning it, please share!)
There are scans of it here http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/san_serriffe
Click on each page for a larger view.
Thanks Penny.
"The success of this hoax is widely credited with inspiring the British
media's enthusiasm for April Foolery in subsequent years."
Shirley shome mishtake ? I think the April Fool jokes in the press
started long before 1977 BIMBAM.
Indeed, the spaghetti trees were long before that in 1957. The writer could
have checked their own archive...
http://hoaxes.org/af_database
2018-05-21 18:36:42 UTC
Post by Mike
No, they grow on bushes, like Richard Dimbleby’s spaghetti.
That was a gem of an April the first joke - nothing since has quite
compared IMHO. It looked so feasible too!
It is of course findable on YouTube. Beautifully done. Though I think
there _have_ been other ones since of equal ingenuity - though I can't
think of any ATM, other than the BMW roundel one which got me, and is
one of those at http://hoaxes.org/af_database/display/category/bmw (that
"museum" lists quite a lot of good ones). Can't remember any other good
TV ones, though, though I do remember them being done - I think
"Nationwide" of fond memory, and the local news segments, often did them
I used to 'collect' April Fools jokes, it being my birthday, by buying a
newspaper. It's much easier now to find them online but BMW have run some
great ads on 1 April over the years. I liked the idea of a prescription
windscreen, although I'm not sure how I'd manage without specs once I got
out of the car.
2018-05-21 13:45:28 UTC
[...]
Probably! (Funny man McToodles!)

2018-05-21 17:36:31 UTC
I've felt guilty
about liking cows' milk and dairy products since I got specific
information about how the calves are removed from the cow at a very
early age and apparently now there are some farms trialing leaving
them with mum, which sounds better. I also like veal, but that's a
different guilt.
The item on pigs was about how the sow has to be in a tiny pen when
she farrows
That's a different gilt.