Lost the plot
Tony Bryer
2018-04-03 10:09:18 UTC
Still lurking though I rarely post. Last week's revelation
by Ruth that she'd tracked down the dumper seemed to be put
across as something of importance, but why?

Tony B, OzRat, Melbourne
Jim Easterbrook
2018-04-03 10:19:00 UTC
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:09:18 +1000, Tony Bryer wrote:

> Still lurking though I rarely post. Last week's revelation by Ruth that
> she'd tracked down the dumper seemed to be put across as something of
> importance, but why?

If she can track them down then so could the EA. And the dumper may have
kept a copy of their contract with Brian, showing he'd agreed to have
chemical waste disposed of on his land.
2018-04-03 10:27:04 UTC
On 03/04/2018 11:19, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:09:18 +1000, Tony Bryer wrote:
>
>> Still lurking though I rarely post. Last week's revelation by Ruth that
>> she'd tracked down the dumper seemed to be put across as something of
>> importance, but why?
>
> If she can track them down then so could the EA. And the dumper may have
> kept a copy of their contract with Brian, showing he'd agreed to have
> chemical waste disposed of on his land.

Plus, if the dumper was openly approaching farmers and offering good
money to be allowed to dump stuff on their land, it rather undermines
Brian's claim that it must have been done without his knowledge or consent.

I tried to catch some fog, but I mist
Btms
2018-04-03 11:42:59 UTC
Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 03/04/2018 11:19, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 20:09:18 +1000, Tony Bryer wrote:
>>
>>> Still lurking though I rarely post. Last week's revelation by Ruth that
>>> she'd tracked down the dumper seemed to be put across as something of
>>> importance, but why?
>>
>> If she can track them down then so could the EA. And the dumper may have
>> kept a copy of their contract with Brian, showing he'd agreed to have
>> chemical waste disposed of on his land.
>>

> Plus, if the dumper was openly approaching farmers and offering good
> money to be allowed to dump stuff on their land, it rather undermines
> Brian's claim that it must have been done without his knowledge or consent.

Yikes. Sounds like they have him by the short and curlys.

2018-04-03 15:52:12 UTC
On 03/04/2018 11:19, Jim Easterbrook wrote; my response is lower down:
> And the dumper may have
> kept a copy of their contract with Brian, showing he'd agreed to have
> chemical waste disposed of on his land.

I can't believe a dumper would keep a contract for 40 years - if he had
one in the first place. Cash in hand transaction that George Osborne
and Spreadsheet Phil are keen to kill off.

2018-04-03 16:05:28 UTC
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 16:52:12 +0100, krw wrote:

> On 03/04/2018 11:19, Jim Easterbrook wrote; my response is lower down:
>> And the dumper may have kept a copy of their contract with Brian,
>> showing he'd agreed to have chemical waste disposed of on his land.
>
> I can't believe a dumper would keep a contract for 40 years - if he had
> one in the first place. Cash in hand transaction that George Osborne
> and Spreadsheet Phil are keen to kill off.

I did say "may". They might still be able to testify against him though.
2018-04-04 01:02:54 UTC
On 03-Apr-18 11:09, Tony Bryer wrote:
> Still lurking though I rarely post. Last week's revelation
> by Ruth that she'd tracked down the dumper seemed to be put
> across as something of importance, but why?

Never mind TA, I was thinking quite recently that we hadn't heard from
our Melbourne correspondent for a while.

Splendid to hear from you.

How's autumn treating you?

2018-04-04 09:19:44 UTC
In message <yrCdnSp-***@brightview.co.uk>, Sam
Plusnet <***@home.com> writes:
>On 03-Apr-18 11:09, Tony Bryer wrote:
>> Still lurking though I rarely post. Last week's revelation
>> by Ruth that she'd tracked down the dumper seemed to be put
>> across as something of importance, but why?
>>
>Never mind TA, I was thinking quite recently that we hadn't heard from
>our Melbourne correspondent for a while.
>
>Splendid to hear from you.
>
>How's autumn treating you?

We haven't heard from/of Kenton's daughter for a while, either. (Yes I
know that's another country, but from here ...)

it is easy to make up a lie, but it can take much more time and effort to
convincingly refute it. - Patrick Cockburn, i, 2016-9-24
Sam Plusnet
2018-04-04 21:31:34 UTC
On 04-Apr-18 10:19, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <yrCdnSp-***@brightview.co.uk>, Sam
> Plusnet <***@home.com> writes:
>> On 03-Apr-18 11:09, Tony Bryer wrote:
>>> Still lurking though I rarely post. Last week's revelation
>>> by Ruth that she'd tracked down the dumper seemed to be put
>>> across as something of importance, but why?
>>>
>> Never mind TA, I was thinking quite recently that we hadn't heard from
>> our Melbourne correspondent for a while.
>>
>> Splendid to hear from you.
>>
>> How's autumn treating you?
>>
> We haven't heard from/of Kenton's daughter for a while, either. (Yes I
> know that's another country,

And besides, the wench...

Tony Bryer
2018-04-05 03:09:33 UTC
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 02:02:54 +0100 Sam Plusnet wrote :

> Never mind TA, I was thinking quite recently that we hadn't
> heard from our Melbourne correspondent for a while.
>
> Splendid to hear from you.
>
> How's autumn treating you?

All good. Coming up ten years living here, moved last July to a
north-facing apartment so as to be warmer - Oz friends thought
this was hilarious. Life is a mix of work (software business now
in its 30th year), two days a week building houses as a
volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, and helping at the Railway
Museum and on Kids Church. All in all, a good life.

Tony B, OzRat, Melbourne
Sam Plusnet
2018-04-05 21:57:05 UTC
On 05-Apr-18 4:09, Tony Bryer wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 02:02:54 +0100 Sam Plusnet wrote :
>>>
>> Never mind TA, I was thinking quite recently that we hadn't
>> heard from our Melbourne correspondent for a while.
>>
>> Splendid to hear from you.
>>
>> How's autumn treating you?
>
> All good. Coming up ten years living here, moved last July to a
> north-facing apartment so as to be warmer - Oz friends thought
> this was hilarious. Life is a mix of work (software business now
> in its 30th year), two days a week building houses as a
> volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, and helping at the Railway
> Museum and on Kids Church. All in all, a good life.

Is the new apartment still on the umpteenth floor of a tall tower, or
have you moved to lower ground?

It sounds as though you lead a pretty varied life - more so than Wofe &
I who are thinking of joining the ranks of the local litter-removal
squad as a new form of excitement.

Tony Bryer
2018-04-06 11:41:16 UTC
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 22:57:05 +0100 Sam Plusnet wrote :
> Is the new apartment still on the umpteenth floor of a tall
> tower, or have you moved to lower ground?

5th floor of a 31 storey tower. This time round I knew
exactly what I wanted which narrowed it down to three towers,
and then a subset within each one. I spent four months
looking and was a little disappointed when the first to come
on the market was only on level 5 - fourth really in UK
parlance since this building is American numbered, 1 =
ground. Other Melbourne buildings adopt British numbering.

It didn't take long to realise that being lower was no loss.
My old balcony, high and on a corner, was rarely usable
because of wind; the new one is like an extra room. Extra
bonus is that my car space is just across the corridor and
through a door, no lift.

Since I've been here Melbourne has seen an explosion in high
rise development - this building at 31 storeys is about #120

Tony B, OzRat, Melbourne
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-06 12:09:52 UTC
In message <***@delme.greentram.com>, Tony Bryer
<***@delme.greentram.com> writes:
>On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 22:57:05 +0100 Sam Plusnet wrote :
>> Is the new apartment still on the umpteenth floor of a tall
>> tower, or have you moved to lower ground?
>
>5th floor of a 31 storey tower. This time round I knew
>exactly what I wanted which narrowed it down to three towers,
>and then a subset within each one. I spent four months
>looking and was a little disappointed when the first to come
>on the market was only on level 5 - fourth really in UK
>parlance since this building is American numbered, 1 =
>ground. Other Melbourne buildings adopt British numbering.
>
>It didn't take long to realise that being lower was no loss.

And, as shown by a disaster in London in the autumn, has advantages too.

>My old balcony, high and on a corner, was rarely usable
>because of wind; the new one is like an extra room. Extra
>bonus is that my car space is just across the corridor and
>through a door, no lift.

So this building has multistorey car parking combined into it? That
sounds like an excellent idea; can't see it ever happening here though,
for a combination of (perceived!) uneconomical use of land, and planning
objections (people think multistorey car parks are unsightly).

>Since I've been here Melbourne has seen an explosion in high
>rise development - this building at 31 storeys is about #120

You mean in order of height, i. e. there are about 119 others that are
higher, I presume.

The web is a blank slate; you can't design technology that is 'good'. You can't
design paper that you can only write good things on. There are no good or evil
tools. You can put an engine in an ambulance or a tank. - Sir Tim Berners-Lee,
Radio Times 2009-Jan-30 to -Feb-5.
Chris McMillan
2018-04-06 14:51:34 UTC
Tony Bryer <***@delme.greentram.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 02:02:54 +0100 Sam Plusnet wrote :
>>>
>> Never mind TA, I was thinking quite recently that we hadn't
>> heard from our Melbourne correspondent for a while.
>>
>> Splendid to hear from you.
>>
>> How's autumn treating you?
>
> helping at the Railway
> Museum