Mondegreens (and earworms - you have been warned)
2017-07-02 19:12:31 UTC
It seems 8-year-old grandchild has just misheard "House of fun" as "Massive
Bum".

You're welcome ;)
2017-07-02 19:34:35 UTC
Same thing for some people. NTTAWWT
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-07-02 21:05:12 UTC
It seems 8-year-old grandchild has just misheard "House of fun" as "Massive
Bum".
You're welcome ;)
Someone - I think on Radio Kent - has for the last few days (that I'm
aware of) been touting for examples of "lazy lyrics". Not so much
misheard ones, as where the singer is sloppy about their diction (which
of course can lead to mondegreens).

"Look, if it'll help you to do what I tell you, baby, imagine that I've got a
blaster ray in my hand." "Uh - you _have_ got a blaster ray in your hand." "So
you shouldn't have to tax your imagination too hard." (Link episode)
krw
2017-07-02 21:57:32 UTC
It seems 8-year-old grandchild has just misheard "House of fun" as "Massive
Bum".
You're welcome ;)
Someone - I think on Radio Kent - has for the last few days (that I'm
aware of) been touting for examples of "lazy lyrics". Not so much
misheard ones, as where the singer is sloppy about their diction (which
of course can lead to mondegreens).
Mullergarew is not a fermented milk product apparently but some relation
of a dinosaur.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Jenny M Benson
2017-07-03 16:56:28 UTC
Someone - I think on Radio Kent - has for the last few days (that I'm
aware of) been touting for examples of "lazy lyrics". Not so much
misheard ones, as where the singer is sloppy about their diction (which
of course can lead to mondegreens).
There was girlie group on some recent tv prog (might have been Graham
Norton's) who sang repeatedly "wan chew" - had me ranting at the box.
2017-07-03 17:10:12 UTC
Someone - I think on Radio Kent - has for the last few days (that I'm
aware of) been touting for examples of "lazy lyrics". Not so much
misheard ones, as where the singer is sloppy about their diction (which
of course can lead to mondegreens).
There was girlie group on some recent tv prog (might have been Graham
Norton's) who sang repeatedly "wan chew" - had me ranting at the box.
There is a favourite of mine from the 50's (so last century y'know!)
relating to the Sy
Kye boat song.

'Larry the lamb was born to be King'
2017-07-03 18:25:59 UTC
There was girlie group on some recent tv prog (might have been Graham
Norton's) who sang repeatedly "wan chew" - had me ranting at the box.
I was going to say that it was that Bob Dylan wot started it, but I took
the precaution of listening carefully first[1] and he didn't; he
pronounced his "T"s[2] as befits a future Nobel Laureate.

So - my apologies to Mr Z.
[1]What a brilliant song. *Far* too long since I heard it.
[2]I cannot get this to look right. How do you write the plural of a
letter correctly?
Penny
2017-07-03 20:45:34 UTC
On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 19:25:59 +0100, Sid Nuncius <***@tesco.net>
"T"s
[2]I cannot get this to look right. How do you write the plural of a
letter correctly?
Some would use T's which I always think looks like a grocer's apostrophe.
I'm happy with Ts but that comes unstuck with letters like A and I.
2017-07-04 07:15:16 UTC
"T"s
[2]I cannot get this to look right. How do you write the plural of a
letter correctly?
Some would use T's which I always think looks like a grocer's apostrophe.
+1.
Post by Penny
I'm happy with Ts but that comes unstuck with letters like A and I.
I tend to use that, or even ts; for As and Is I might capitalise. It's
not really ambiguous, especially if capitalised, from context.

Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-07-03 19:54:21 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Jenny M Benson
<***@hotmail.co.uk> writes:
There was girlie group on some recent tv prog (might have been Graham
Norton's) who sang repeatedly "wan chew" - had me ranting at the box.
OT, but I had to share these two bon mots with someone before I forget
them. First one has nothing to do with anything, I just liked it: some
discussion of a very affluent part of Florida, where there are two sorts
of people: the haves, and the have-yachts.

Then (girl group being the connection): Geri Halliwell, ex-Spice-girl,
was on the Clive Anderson show, and made some comment about the others
present having so much more life-experience, or something like that.
Clive asked her, are you saying we're all old? And while she was
spluttering (that _is_ what she'd meant, though with no malice), Clive
(who wasn't at all offended) said something about it being Geri and the
pacemakers ...

Science fiction is escape into reality - Arthur C Clarke