Ask EU Thunderbird again
Add Reply
Jane Vernon
2017-04-20 10:58:54 UTC
ISTR a discussion in the past about a mobile version of Thunderbird.
I'm not sure if this would help me or not as I don't remember any
details of it.

I have two issues. (Yes, two issues, i.e. not necessarily related
things to do with Thunderbird, which may or may not also be classed as
problems. Issues.)

1. I like to keep in touch with people when I'm travelling but my email
addresses are all stored in Thunderbird. I use my Android tablet's own
email program so can receive and reply to emails but can't just decide
to email someone as I don't have my addresses with me. Is there some
easy way to have access to them on my tablet? I wouldn't mind
installing a version of Thunderbird to use instead of the Android
program if that helped.

2. I am gradually sorting out the backing up of all my data, using
chiefly Dropbox. However, AFAICS, this only works for files I can place
in Dropbox. I am still looking for a reliable and if possible automatic
way to regularly back up my Thunderbird profile, which I assume cannot
be kept in my Dropbox folder as it needs to be in Roaming for
Thunderbird to know where to find it. Is there a way to achieve this
backup? What do otherrats do? I have failed to remember to do it
manually at regular intervals.

TIA
--
Jane
BTME

2017-04-20 12:20:06 UTC
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:58:54 +0100, Jane Vernon
Post by Jane Vernon
1. I like to keep in touch with people when I'm travelling but my email
addresses are all stored in Thunderbird. I use my Android tablet's own
email program so can receive and reply to emails but can't just decide
to email someone as I don't have my addresses with me. Is there some
easy way to have access to them on my tablet? I wouldn't mind
installing a version of Thunderbird to use instead of the Android
program if that helped.
I gave up using email clients after the second hard disc became unavailable
to me. Saving emails in some other format is, of course, possible but I
hadn't done that.
These days I use gmail and find the fact I can access all contacts across
all devices really useful. I have yet to add my win10 machine to my network
but copying links to an email draft is a very simple way of passing them
between machines too.

I realise copying all your contacts into gmail would be a faff but might be
worth the effort? I believe you can configure gmail to receive mail from
other mail boxes (though I haven't done so myself).

OTOH I see there is are apps on offer which might be just what you are
looking for from the Playstore.
Thunderbird AB Sync - 61p
BirdieSync for Thunderbird - free
YANAOU
Jane Vernon
2017-04-20 16:51:38 UTC
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:58:54 +0100, Jane Vernon
1. I like to keep in touch with people...
These days I use gmail and find the fact I can access all contacts across
all devices really useful.
YANAOU
For the few days a year I travel, not worth ditching my domain address,
unfortunately.
--
Jane
BTME

Jane Vernon
2017-04-20 16:50:57 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
[...]
I don't want to stop using my usual email address, though, and it's a
domain address, not gmail, so I don't think this would work, would it?
Post by Penny
OTOH I see there is are apps on offer which might be just what you are
looking for from the Playstore.
Thunderbird AB Sync - 61p
"What is this app and should you use it?" If you want it to synchronise
your address books you shouldn't use it!
Post by Penny
BirdieSync for Thunderbird - free
Yes, but you also need a 20 euro version on your PC.

Many thanks for the suggestions, though.
--
Jane
BTME

2017-04-24 13:52:32 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Penny
I realise copying all your contacts into gmail would be a faff but might be
worth the effort? I believe you can configure gmail to receive mail from
other mail boxes (though I haven't done so myself).
I don't want to stop using my usual email address, though, and it's a
domain address, not gmail, so I don't think this would work, would it?
I'm sure you could use gmail with your current domain address very
easily, if you wanted to. All you'd have to do it change the email
forwarding details, with your domain host, to tell them to send your
emails to your gmail address, rather than to your current email inbox.

As far as I'm concerned, that's one of the main benefits in having a
domain address. It means you're not tied to one email provider but can
easily change your email system, without changing your address.
Enjoy life, you will never get out alive.
Jenny M Benson
2017-04-24 14:57:27 UTC
I'm sure you could use gmail with your current domain address very
easily, if you wanted to. All you'd have to do it change the email
forwarding details, with your domain host, to tell them to send your
emails to your gmail address, rather than to your current email inbox.
I have frequently done that when away from home for more than a day or
two. Gmail will also let me reply or send an e-mail using the relevant
domain address.
2017-04-24 22:04:32 UTC
I'm sure you could use gmail with your current domain address very
easily, if you wanted to. All you'd have to do it change the email
forwarding details, with your domain host, to tell them to send your
emails to your gmail address, rather than to your current email inbox.
I have frequently done that when away from home for more than a day or
two. Gmail will also let me reply or send an e-mail using the relevant
domain address.
Touch wood, PlusNet seem to let me send via their outgoing server, too,
wherever I am.

"Who came first? Adam or Eve?" "Adam of course; men always do."
Victoria Wood (via Peter Hesketh)
krw
2017-04-25 08:31:03 UTC
Touch wood, PlusNet seem to let me send via their outgoing server, too,
wherever I am.
Do they? I think I tried that when I went back to them and it ended up
with me using yahoo - I must try it again.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Serena Blanchflower
2017-04-25 09:19:58 UTC
Touch wood, PlusNet seem to let me send via their outgoing server,
too, wherever I am.
Do they? I think I tried that when I went back to them and it ended up
with me using yahoo - I must try it again.
IIRC, to use the PN Outgoing server, when you aren't connected via your
home broadbean, you have to include your PN username/password - I'm not
sure how you specify that though.
You knock me down, but I get up again
You ain't never gonna keep me down (Chumbawumba)
Fenny
2017-04-20 16:56:14 UTC
I believe you can configure gmail to receive mail from
other mail boxes (though I haven't done so myself).
This is vert simple to do. I have 2 different gmail accounts and
between them I import 3 other email addresses. Each comes into its
own separate inbox and I have them colour coded so that when I search
for things I can easily tell which account it has been received into.
Jane Vernon
2017-04-20 17:08:27 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Penny
I believe you can configure gmail to receive mail from
other mail boxes (though I haven't done so myself).
This is vert simple to do. I have 2 different gmail accounts and
between them I import 3 other email addresses. Each comes into its
own separate inbox and I have them colour coded so that when I search
for things I can easily tell which account it has been received into.
But they would all be other gmail accounts, no?

My main account is my clothandclay account.
--
Jane
BTME

2017-04-20 21:01:27 UTC
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 18:08:27 +0100, Jane Vernon
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Fenny
Post by Penny
I believe you can configure gmail to receive mail from
other mail boxes (though I haven't done so myself).
This is vert simple to do. I have 2 different gmail accounts and
between them I import 3 other email addresses. Each comes into its
own separate inbox and I have them colour coded so that when I search
for things I can easily tell which account it has been received into.
But they would all be other gmail accounts, no?
No, all 3 are onetel addresses, like the umrat one.
Post by Jane Vernon
My main account is my clothandclay account.
You can import POP3 mail and set up the account to reply from the same
address as long as you know the correct outgoing SMTP server settings
to use.

So I have my gmail address, which has my name on it and I use for most
"official" things. I then have 2 onetel addresses, each goes into a
separate inbox and when I reply to those, it comes from the relevant
address. When I write a new email, I can pick which address I send it
from.

And a separate gmail account with another onetel address going into
another inbox.

Gmail also lets you have 2 or more gmail identities open at once, so I
can have 2 tabs with 5 distinct email addresses open at the same time.
Jane Vernon
2017-04-21 07:00:39 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Fenny
Post by Penny
I believe you can configure gmail to receive mail from
other mail boxes (though I haven't done so myself).
This is vert simple to do. I have 2 different gmail accounts and
between them I import 3 other email addresses. Each comes into its
own separate inbox and I have them colour coded so that when I search
for things I can easily tell which account it has been received into.
But they would all be other gmail accounts, no?
No, all 3 are onetel addresses, like the umrat one.
Aha!
Post by Fenny
Post by Jane Vernon
My main account is my clothandclay account.
You can import POP3 mail and set up the account to reply from the same
address as long as you know the correct outgoing SMTP server settings
to use.
So I have my gmail address, which has my name on it and I use for most
"official" things. I then have 2 onetel addresses, each goes into a
separate inbox and when I reply to those, it comes from the relevant
address. When I write a new email, I can pick which address I send it
from.
And a separate gmail account with another onetel address going into
another inbox.
Gmail also lets you have 2 or more gmail identities open at once, so I
can have 2 tabs with 5 distinct email addresses open at the same time.
Ooh, I didn't know that either.
All of the above sounds very interesting but also a tad complicated to
take in right now. Will save somewhere and return to it probably next week.

I'm just off for my spring umrat-related holiday. Last year it was
York, this year Mevagissey. Travel by train, visit lovely place, stay in
nice B&B, spend time with (lapsed) umrat. Candidates for next year may
apply now ;)
--
Jane
BTME

2017-04-21 08:04:47 UTC
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 08:00:39 +0100, Jane Vernon
<***@gmail.com> scrawled in the dust...
of gmail usefulness
Post by Jane Vernon
Ooh, I didn't know that either.
All of the above sounds very interesting but also a tad complicated to
take in right now. Will save somewhere and return to it probably next week.
As no one has so far pointed out you also get 15GB of free storage with a
google account which may help with any dropbox overflow, or replace it.
2017-04-21 16:29:23 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Ooh, I didn't know that either.
All of the above sounds very interesting but also a tad complicated to
take in right now. Will save somewhere and return to it probably next week.
As no one has so far pointed out you also get 15GB of free storage with a
google account which may help with any dropbox overflow, or replace it.
Nor has google actually publicised the fact that they have changed
their ToS to make sure they can track pretty much everything you do
online! I just wish I could remember where I saw the link to the
article.
2017-04-21 08:32:46 UTC
Candidates for next year may apply now ;)
But we are not lapsed.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
John Ashby
2017-04-21 08:44:34 UTC
Candidates for next year may apply now ;)
But we are not lapsed.
Which is why it's so sensible of Jane to give enough notice for you to
lapse and possibly even relapse between now and next year.

2017-04-21 08:45:41 UTC
Jane Vernon <***@gmail.com> wrote:
.
Post by Jane Vernon
I'm just off for my spring umrat-related holiday. Last year it was
York, this year Mevagissey. Travel by train, visit lovely place, stay in
nice B&B, spend time with (lapsed) umrat. Candidates for next year may
apply now ;)
Wow! Have a great time. Lost Gardens of Heligan very good and close. You
probably already know this. I am less impressed by the Eden Project. More
scientific less romantic.

We wont be that way for a couple of weeks. Would have suggested a meet
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-04-22 13:23:59 UTC
In message
<1130897537.514456114.996476.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
org>, Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
Wow! Have a great time. Lost Gardens of Heligan very good and close. You
probably already know this. I am less impressed by the Eden Project. More
scientific less romantic.
[]
I wasn't clear whether you weren't impressed because it was more
scientific, or whether you wished it had been.

FWIW, I like science in such things (in fact, in most things).

Don't play "stupid" with me... I'm better at it.
Btms
2017-04-22 13:27:37 UTC
In message
Wow! Have a great time. Lost Gardens of Heligan very good and close. You
probably already know this. I am less impressed by the Eden Project. More
scientific less romantic.
[]
I wasn't clear whether you weren't impressed because it was more
scientific, or whether you wished it had been.
FWIW, I like science in such things (in fact, in most things).
Just explaining why I prefer Heligan, whereas others would prefer Eden.
Both subjective viewpoints imho.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-04-22 14:29:02 UTC
In message
In message
Wow! Have a great time. Lost Gardens of Heligan very good and close. You
probably already know this. I am less impressed by the Eden Project. More
scientific less romantic.
[]
I wasn't clear whether you weren't impressed because it was more
scientific, or whether you wished it had been.
FWIW, I like science in such things (in fact, in most things).
Just explaining why I prefer Heligan, whereas others would prefer Eden.
Both subjective viewpoints imho.
I think I see which you mean - though I haven't been to either. I just
wasn't sure whether you meant "I am less impressed by the Eden Project
*because it is* More scientific less romantic.", or "I am less impressed
by the Eden Project. *I wish it was* More scientific less romantic."

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I
have one. -Cato the Elder, statesman, soldier, and writer (234-149 BCE)
Btms
2017-04-22 15:17:17 UTC
In message
In message
Wow! Have a great time. Lost Gardens of Heligan very good and close. You
probably already know this. I am less impressed by the Eden Project. More
scientific less romantic.
[]
I wasn't clear whether you weren't impressed because it was more
scientific, or whether you wished it had been.
FWIW, I like science in such things (in fact, in most things).
Just explaining why I prefer Heligan, whereas others would prefer Eden.
Both subjective viewpoints imho.
I think I see which you mean - though I haven't been to either. I just
wasn't sure whether you meant "I am less impressed by the Eden Project
*because it is* More scientific less romantic.", or "I am less impressed
by the Eden Project. *I wish it was* More scientific less romantic."
Eden is very contrived and may not be any the less worthy or appealing to
some. Heligan is more historical and appeals to those with a more arty
tarty preference.....perhaps. Only my opinion.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Mike
2017-04-22 15:49:03 UTC
In message
Wow! Have a great time. Lost Gardens of Heligan very good and close. You
probably already know this. I am less impressed by the Eden Project. More
scientific less romantic.
[]
I wasn't clear whether you weren't impressed because it was more
scientific, or whether you wished it had been.
FWIW, I like science in such things (in fact, in most things).
Just explaining why I prefer Heligan, whereas others would prefer Eden.
Both subjective viewpoints imho.
More difficult to get lost at Eden....

2017-04-23 20:04:28 UTC
In message
Wow! Have a great time. Lost Gardens of Heligan very good and close. You
probably already know this. I am less impressed by the Eden Project. More
scientific less romantic.
[]
I wasn't clear whether you weren't impressed because it was more
scientific, or whether you wished it had been.
FWIW, I like science in such things (in fact, in most things).
Just explaining why I prefer Heligan, whereas others would prefer Eden.
Both subjective viewpoints imho.
More difficult to get lost at Eden....
But easier to fall.
Best to leave the apples on the tree, I find.
2017-04-22 20:03:40 UTC
Just explaining why I prefer Heligan, whereas others would prefer Eden.
Both subjective viewpoints imho.
When we went on our Horticulture course residential to Cronwall, we
visited Eden, Heligan and another (smaller) place I can't remember the
name of.

Of the three, Heligan was the least favourite. Too many people, who
walked slowly and blocked the paths, too many smokers. And, more
frustratingly, very little information about the plants, which is what
we were there to see.

OTOH, the small gardens were well laid out, plenty of room to move
around not on narrow paths, and very well labelled plants.

And I love Eden. I've been there at least twice, if not more. I like
the different zones and the way they've turned the old quarry into a
fantastic place. Ma bought me the book for Christmas one year.
2017-04-21 10:53:56 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Fenny
Post by Jane Vernon
[...]
You've probably gone on your way now, so won't see this in time, but this:
http://knowledgebase.constantcontact.com/articles/KnowledgeBase/6001-exporting-contacts-from-thunderbird?pnx=1
explains how to export your contacts to a csv file.

You could make such a csv file available on your tablet, in dropbox
perhaps, then you'd be able to find any email addresses that you need.
2017-04-21 08:37:42 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Penny
I believe you can configure gmail to receive mail from
other mail boxes (though I haven't done so myself).
This is vert simple to do. I have 2 different gmail accounts and
between them I import 3 other email addresses. Each comes into its
own separate inbox and I have them colour coded so that when I search
for things I can easily tell which account it has been received into.
I am highly reluctant to use online solutions. When we travel I can
expect some (limited) wifi so can download emails and respond later.
Sadly I cannot reply to newsgroup in such situations as Groundhog needs
to be connected - one of its major failings for me.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Serena Blanchflower
2017-04-24 09:10:44 UTC
I realise copying all your contacts into gmail would be a faff but might be
worth the effort? I believe you can configure gmail to receive mail from
other mail boxes (though I haven't done so myself).
I think you can import your Thunderbird contacts into gmail. If you
export your TB address book(s) in CSV format, you can then import that
into Gmail.

You need to go to gmail, then contacts, then "Go to the old version"
and, finally, import contacts.

You can certainly set up gmail to receive mail from other PO3 / IMAP
mailboxes, should you wish to. I assume, if you wanted to switch to
using gmail, that you could also set up your domain host to forward your
email to gmail.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have
no food, they call me a communist. (Dom Helder Camara)