The announcement you have all been waiting for ...
2018-03-31 15:08:49 UTC
Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks! The BTAs are to be awarded
at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall. The
ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green. It is
proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be pixellated.

BTM
Jim Easterbrook
2018-03-31 15:17:42 UTC
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 16:08:49 +0100, Jenny M Benson wrote:

> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks! The BTAs are to be awarded
> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall. The
> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green. It is
> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be
> pixellated.

The over 18s will be pixilated.
2018-03-31 18:24:03 UTC
On 31/03/2018 16:17, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 16:08:49 +0100, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>
>> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks! The BTAs are to be awarded
>> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall. The
>> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
>> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green. It is
>> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
>> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
>> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be
>> pixellated.
>
> The over 18s will be pixilated.

:o)) Well played, sir! And thank you for a new addition to my vocabulary.

2018-03-31 21:54:59 UTC
On 31/03/2018 19:24, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 31/03/2018 16:17, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 16:08:49 +0100, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>
>>> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks!  The BTAs are to be awarded
>>> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall.  The
>>> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
>>> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green.  It is
>>> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
>>> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
>>> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be
>>> pixellated.
>>
>> The over 18s will be pixilated.
>
> :o))  Well played, sir!  And thank you for a new addition to my vocabulary.

Really? Ah, I expect you're too young to have known this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPrvoN4c7g

Rosalind Mitchell
2018-03-31 22:06:33 UTC
On 31/03/18 22:54, LFS wrote:
> On 31/03/2018 19:24, Sid Nuncius wrote:

>>> The over 18s will be pixilated.
>>
>> :o))  Well played, sir!  And thank you for a new addition to my
>> vocabulary.
>>

> Really? Ah, I expect you're too young to have known this:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPrvoN4c7g

Ah, Mr Stanford! He was playing a lot in the Bristol area and it was a
big deal there when he died. I stuck around that city just long enough
to remember the fuss.

Rotaa
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-31 23:08:58 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, LFS
<***@gmail.com> writes:
>On 31/03/2018 19:24, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> On 31/03/2018 16:17, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
[]
>>> The over 18s will be pixilated.
>>
>> :o))  Well played, sir!  And thank you for a new addition to my
>> :vocabulary.
>>

>Really? Ah, I expect you're too young to have known this:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPrvoN4c7g

Ah - Garrard, a name to bring a tear of nostalgia (though not
necessarily affection!) to anyone of a suitable age. (Built like a
battleship, and often having as much delicacy - though the one in that
clip looks somewhat fancy.)

When I went to see Biddy Baxter [Blue Peter's editor] and told her I was
pregnant, her first reaction was 'Oh good, another viewer'. - Janet Ellis, RT
2016/2/27-3/4
steveski
2018-03-31 23:29:08 UTC
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 00:08:58 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[]

> Ah - Garrard, a name to bring a tear of nostalgia (though not
> necessarily affection!) to anyone of a suitable age. (Built like a
> battleship, and often having as much delicacy - though the one in that
> clip looks somewhat fancy.)

<rumble, rumble> SP 25 Mk. III (but later I got a {gasp} Thorens . . . [1]

With an SME arm and a Goldring cartridge (courtesy of my girlfriend at
the time who was, conveniently, the daughter of the MD of Goldring-Lenco)
Sid Nuncius
2018-04-01 06:34:00 UTC
On 01/04/2018 00:29, steveski wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 00:08:58 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
> []
>
>> Ah - Garrard, a name to bring a tear of nostalgia (though not
>> necessarily affection!) to anyone of a suitable age. (Built like a
>> battleship, and often having as much delicacy - though the one in that
>> clip looks somewhat fancy.)
>
> <rumble, rumble> SP 25 Mk. III (but later I got a {gasp} Thorens . . . [1]

There's posh. The SP25 Mk. III was the deck of choice when I was at
university, along with a pair of Wharfedale Dentons and, in my case a
Pioneer SA500-A amp. It was the best I could afford (all second-hand)
and actually sounded quite good to me. I just accepted the rumble as
inevitable - I'm not sure I'd ever heard a non-rumbling deck at the time.

(I still have the amp and speakers in a box somewhere. Possibly eve the
deck, but I'm less sure about that.)

2018-04-01 07:43:27 UTC
Sid Nuncius wrote:

>There's posh. The SP25 Mk. III was the deck of choice when I was at
>university, along with a pair of Wharfedale Dentons and, in my case a
>Pioneer SA500-A amp. It was the best I could afford (all second-hand)
>and actually sounded quite good to me. I just accepted the rumble as
>inevitable - I'm not sure I'd ever heard a non-rumbling deck at the time.

My first deck too, with Rogers Ravensbrook amp and KEF speakers.
I later upgraded to a Dual 505-2, which I still have, but it
hasn't run in a while.

The amp is now a Rotel RA-820, with Tannoy speakers, both of
which I reckon must be about 30 years old.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-04-01 08:49:12 UTC
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 08:43:27 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:

>Sid Nuncius wrote:
>
>>There's posh. The SP25 Mk. III was the deck of choice when I was at
>>university, along with a pair of Wharfedale Dentons and, in my case a
>>Pioneer SA500-A amp. It was the best I could afford (all second-hand)
>>and actually sounded quite good to me. I just accepted the rumble as
>>inevitable - I'm not sure I'd ever heard a non-rumbling deck at the time.
>
>My first deck too, with Rogers Ravensbrook amp and KEF speakers.
>I later upgraded to a Dual 505-2, which I still have, but it
>hasn't run in a while.
>
>The amp is now a Rotel RA-820, with Tannoy speakers, both of
>which I reckon must be about 30 years old.
>
>Chris

My first deck was handed down from my cousin Edith. She probably moved
out from next door, where she had a room in my grandparents' flat.
Maybe she got a new one. The one she gave me was a turn the handle one
so if you hadn't wound it up enough the record began to go slower and
slower and then stop. If you then began to wind it again it got faster
:). After some time my mum got it somehow made electric so you could
plug it in. I think I got a new one when I passed some GCEs and it
might have been a Portodyne.

2018-04-01 15:41:08 UTC
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 09:49:12 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...

>My first deck was handed down from my cousin Edith.

Mine was a relatively huge piece of furniture which contained a wind-up
gramophone, bought at the village jumble for a few pennies. We had lots of
78s (which was all it played) because my mother had returned from another
village jumble with a lily-horn HMV gramophone* and a hat-box full of
mostly music-hall songs by Billy Williams 'the man in the velvet suit' and
Stanley Holloway monologues, for all of which she had paid half a crown.

My next was a neat little battery-operated portable which only played 7"
45rpm. I've a vague recollection I swapped something for it at school. I
know I took it camping in my teens. I can't find anything similar on the
net and can't recall what it was called.

*I ended up with this and sold it before my last move. It was not in great
condition, the governor had always had a click to it, the pick-up had been
mended with plasticine and the lily-horn was shellacked steel and a bit
rusty - some nutter paid £300 for it - I kept my favourite records.
2018-04-01 16:11:33 UTC
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 16:41:08 +0100, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 09:49:12 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
>in the dust...
>
>>My first deck was handed down from my cousin Edith.
>
>Mine was a relatively huge piece of furniture which contained a wind-up
>gramophone, bought at the village jumble for a few pennies. We had lots of
>78s (which was all it played) because my mother had returned from another
>village jumble with a lily-horn HMV gramophone* and a hat-box full of
>mostly music-hall songs by Billy Williams 'the man in the velvet suit' and
>Stanley Holloway monologues, for all of which she had paid half a crown.
>
>My next was a neat little battery-operated portable which only played 7"
>45rpm. I've a vague recollection I swapped something for it at school. I
>know I took it camping in my teens. I can't find anything similar on the
>net and can't recall what it was called.
>
>*I ended up with this and sold it before my last move. It was not in great
>condition, the governor had always had a click to it, the pick-up had been
>mended with plasticine and the lily-horn was shellacked steel and a bit
>rusty - some nutter paid £300 for it - I kept my favourite records.

At some time later, possibly for A level results, but I think earlier,
I got a reel to reel tape recorder about 10 ins wide by 3 ins deep by
6 ins high. I used to site the mike next to the radio and record Top
of the Pops each week with Alan Freeman.

When I got to university and passsed my driving test and borrowed my
mum's car to take my stuff to university, partly M1, London ->
Sheffield, I had the tape recorder on the passenger seat next to me
and used to change the tapes while driving! I knew it was A Bad Thing
to do.

2018-04-01 19:37:23 UTC
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 17:11:33 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...

>I got a reel to reel tape recorder about 10 ins wide by 3 ins deep by
>6 ins high. I used to site the mike next to the radio and record Top
>of the Pops each week with Alan Freeman.

We used to do something similar with a big reel-to-reel. Then splice
phrases from different songs to make stories (often rude). For years
afterwards I found myself listening carefully to lyrics and mentally
splicing bits into other songs.
2018-04-01 21:33:06 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky
<***@gmail.com> writes:
>On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 16:41:08 +0100, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 09:49:12 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
>>in the dust...
>>
>>>My first deck was handed down from my cousin Edith.
>>
>>Mine was a relatively huge piece of furniture which contained a wind-up

Wow: I hadn't realised my throwaway line about Garrard turntables would
unleash such an outpouring! Warms the cockles, as it were. (Another make
that was a lot more towards the battleship side if things was BSR, which
stood either for better sound reproduction, or Birmingham sound
reproducers.) FWIW, I now have (though haven't powered since I moved in
here!) a Marantz linear-tracker, with a little (but heavy) Audiologic
amp - and Solavox speakers. Which was a budget make (I think it might
have been an Amstrad alias), but they're infinite baffle rather than
ported, and I'm still using them: they're plugged into my (Deccacolour!)
TV and it's on now.
[]
Of course, the audiophiles should always heed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_DptPvj7ts

or, from many decades later, but with some of the same feeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvswW6M7bMo

>>My next was a neat little battery-operated portable which only played 7"
>>45rpm. I've a vague recollection I swapped something for it at school. I
>>know I took it camping in my teens. I can't find anything similar on the
>>net and can't recall what it was called.

I remember seeing those. Must have eaten cells, especially the ones
available in those days.
[]
>At some time later, possibly for A level results, but I think earlier,
>I got a reel to reel tape recorder about 10 ins wide by 3 ins deep by
>6 ins high. I used to site the mike next to the radio and record Top
>of the Pops each week with Alan Freeman.

Was it one of those that just took tiny reels, with them on one of the
short sides?

>When I got to university and passsed my driving test and borrowed my
>mum's car to take my stuff to university, partly M1, London ->
>Sheffield, I had the tape recorder on the passenger seat next to me
>and used to change the tapes while driving! I knew it was A Bad Thing
>to do.

Wow! Changing _reel to reel_ tapes while driving! They'd have a fit
today ...

Capital flows toward lower costs like a river to lowest ground.
"MJ", 2015-12-05
Sid Nuncius
2018-04-02 07:09:18 UTC
On 01/04/2018 22:33, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> Wow: I hadn't realised my throwaway line about Garrard turntables would
> unleash such an outpouring! Warms the cockles, as it were. (Another make
> that was a lot more towards the battleship side if things was BSR, which
> stood either for better sound reproduction, or Birmingham sound
> reproducers.) FWIW, I now have (though haven't powered since I moved in
> here!) a Marantz linear-tracker, with a little (but heavy) Audiologic
> amp - and Solavox speakers. Which was a budget make (I think it might
> have been an Amstrad alias), but they're infinite baffle rather than
> ported, and I'm still using them: they're plugged into my (Deccacolour!)
> TV and it's on now.
> []
> Of course, the audiophiles should always heed
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_DptPvj7ts

Indeed. I'm not an audiophile; I'm not sure I can tell much difference
between a decent system and a really good one. I have an audiophile
friend whose systems always sound terrific, but we seem to end up
listening to the equipment rather than the music, IYSWIM. (And is it
really worth the difference in sound if you pay several hundred pounds
for silver speaker leads?)

These days I rely on a TEAC Reference 300DAB Mk II system, plus matching
cassette deck and TEAC speakers. I've had it for well over 10 years and
I'm very pleased with it. I also listen to a lot of music via my mp3
player and an outstandingly good Audiodynamix Pulse V4 speaker (no
longer available, I think) or a variety of decent headphones I've
accumulated. It all sounds pretty good to me; sound reproduction has
advanced massively since I bought my first stereo system and I think the
Pulse V4 sounds better than some full-sized systems I've heard in the past.

2018-04-02 07:17:28 UTC

Bag on your head sir ?
Sid Nuncius
2018-04-02 08:58:20 UTC
On 02/04/2018 08:17, BrritSki wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 09:09, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>
>> Indeed. I'm not an audiophile;
>
> Bag on your head sir ?

:o))
It's a long while since I saw that one...

2018-04-02 10:29:09 UTC
On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 09:58:20 +0100, Sid Nuncius
<***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 02/04/2018 08:17, BrritSki wrote:
>> On 02/04/2018 09:09, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>>
>>> Indeed. I'm not an audiophile;
>>
>> Bag on your head sir ?
>
>:o))
>It's a long while since I saw that one...

Still a classic :-)
2018-04-02 12:15:50 UTC

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQqWSnsHoA>
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-04-02 13:59:57 UTC
On 02/04/18 09:58, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 08:17, BrritSki wrote:
>> On 02/04/2018 09:09, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>>
>>> Indeed. I'm not an audiophile;
>>
>> Bag on your head sir ?
>
> :o))
> It's a long while since I saw that one...

"Granddad wants to buy a gramophone?" That one?

Rotaa
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-04-02 13:58:52 UTC
On 02/04/18 08:09, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 22:33, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> Indeed. I'm not an audiophile; I'm not sure I can tell much difference
> between a decent system and a really good one.  I have an audiophile
> friend whose systems always sound terrific, but we seem to end up
> listening to the equipment rather than the music, IYSWIM.  (And is it
> really worth the difference in sound if you pay several hundred pounds
> for silver speaker leads?)

I'm usually content if it makes a cheerful sound with a sharpish needle.

Rotaa
Sid Nuncius
2018-04-02 17:20:05 UTC
On 02/04/2018 14:58, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> On 02/04/18 08:09, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> On 01/04/2018 22:33, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> Indeed. I'm not an audiophile; I'm not sure I can tell much difference
>> between a decent system and a really good one.  I have an audiophile
>> friend whose systems always sound terrific, but we seem to end up
>> listening to the equipment rather than the music, IYSWIM.  (And is it
>> really worth the difference in sound if you pay several hundred pounds
>> for silver speaker leads?)
>
> I'm usually content if it makes a cheerful sound with a sharpish needle.

Ah, but then they AMPLIFIED it.

2018-04-02 17:35:19 UTC
Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 14:58, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
>> On 02/04/18 08:09, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>>> On 01/04/2018 22:33, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> Indeed. I'm not an audiophile; I'm not sure I can tell much difference
>>> between a decent system and a really good one.  I have an audiophile
>>> friend whose systems always sound terrific, but we seem to end up
>>> listening to the equipment rather than the music, IYSWIM.  (And is it
>>> really worth the difference in sound if you pay several hundred pounds
>>> for silver speaker leads?)
>>
>> I'm usually content if it makes a cheerful sound with a sharpish needle.
>
> Ah, but then they AMPLIFIED it.

Oh, groovy man!

2018-04-02 11:28:38 UTC
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 22:33:06 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>>On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 16:41:08 +0100, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>>wrote:

>>>My next was a neat little battery-operated portable which only played 7"
>>>45rpm. I've a vague recollection I swapped something for it at school. I
>>>know I took it camping in my teens. I can't find anything similar on the
>>>net and can't recall what it was called.
>
>I remember seeing those. Must have eaten cells, especially the ones
>available in those days.

It took one of those big rectangular jobs with the springs on top which
lasted pretty well.
2018-04-02 11:34:38 UTC
Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 22:33:06 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
> <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>> I remember seeing those. Must have eaten cells, especially the ones
>> available in those days.
>
> It took one of those big rectangular jobs with the springs on top which
> lasted pretty well.

Lantern battery?

2018-04-02 11:48:13 UTC
On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 11:34:38 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...

>Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 22:33:06 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
>> <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>>> I remember seeing those. Must have eaten cells, especially the ones
>>> available in those days.
>>
>> It took one of those big rectangular jobs with the springs on top which
>> lasted pretty well.
>
>Lantern battery?

Ah, is that where lamping comes from?
2018-04-02 12:19:56 UTC
Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 11:34:38 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
> in the dust...
>
>> Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 22:33:06 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
>>> <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>>> It took one of those big rectangular jobs with the springs on top which
>>> lasted pretty well.
>>
>> Lantern battery?
>
> Ah, is that where lamping comes from?

Has that thrown some light on the subject.

2018-04-01 11:38:08 UTC
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 07:34:00 +0100, Sid Nuncius wrote:

> On 01/04/2018 00:29, steveski wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 00:08:58 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>
>> []
>>
>>> Ah - Garrard, a name to bring a tear of nostalgia (though not
>>> necessarily affection!) to anyone of a suitable age. (Built like a
>>> battleship, and often having as much delicacy - though the one in that
>>> clip looks somewhat fancy.)
>>
>> <rumble, rumble> SP 25 Mk. III (but later I got a {gasp} Thorens . . .
>> [1]
>
> There's posh. The SP25 Mk. III was the deck of choice when I was at
> university, along with a pair of Wharfedale Dentons and, in my case a
> Pioneer SA500-A amp. It was the best I could afford (all second-hand)
> and actually sounded quite good to me. I just accepted the rumble as
> inevitable - I'm not sure I'd ever heard a non-rumbling deck at the
> time.
>
> (I still have the amp and speakers in a box somewhere. Possibly eve the
> deck, but I'm less sure about that.)

I too had an SA500 and a pair of Dentons . . .

The amp went up the pictures long ago but I still use the Dentons as my
main speakers. Cardboard cones but the response curve is so flat that
they do 'sub'. I bought them in 1974.

2018-04-01 11:57:46 UTC
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 11:38:08 +0000, steveski wrote:

[]

> The amp went up the pictures long ago but I still use the Dentons as my
> main speakers. Cardboard cones but the response curve is so flat that
> they do 'sub'. I bought them in 1974.

Bad form to to follow up on one's own post but:

In about 1980/81 I bought a CAS (Creek Audio Systems) 4040. A couple of
years ago I discovered, to my astonishment, that CAS are still going in
Hemel Hempstead and Mike Creek himself serviced [1] the amp for £75.

Bargain!

[1] 'service', in this case, meant replacing just about all of the
innards apart from the PCBs themselves and I've kept the bag of caps,
resistors etc. that he handed me after it was done - excellent chap :-)
krw
2018-04-01 22:26:54 UTC
On 01/04/2018 12:57, steveski wrote; my response is lower down:
> In about 1980/81 I bought a CAS (Creek Audio Systems) 4040.

I had one of those. I suspect the replacement is a downgrade.

2018-04-02 00:19:41 UTC
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 23:26:54 +0100, krw wrote:

> On 01/04/2018 12:57, steveski wrote; my response is lower down:
>> In about 1980/81 I bought a CAS (Creek Audio Systems) 4040.
>
> I had one of those. I suspect the replacement is a downgrade.

No - pretty boodly good, akchurly.

2018-04-02 10:08:58 UTC
On 02/04/2018 01:19, steveski wrote; my response is lower down:
> On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 23:26:54 +0100, krw wrote:
>
>> On 01/04/2018 12:57, steveski wrote; my response is lower down:
>>> In about 1980/81 I bought a CAS (Creek Audio Systems) 4040.
>>
>> I had one of those. I suspect the replacement is a downgrade.
>
> No - pretty boodly good, akchurly.

Sorry I meant my replacement - TEAC 300 reference (no DAB).

I had a lot of decent stereo including the 4040 but then bought the TEAC
reference system for the living room. Wofe hated it because it had
wires between the boxes (no I don't get it either). So the Teac moved
into the study and the older kit (apart from the Dual CS505) was dumped.
But I am not sure that it was not a downgrade.

And I cannot get DLNA to work happily.

2018-04-02 10:15:54 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 01:19, steveski wrote; my response is lower down:

>>> I had one of those. I suspect the replacement is a downgrade.
>>
>> No - pretty boodly good, akchurly.
>>
> Sorry I meant my replacement - TEAC 300 reference (no DAB).
>
> I had a lot of decent stereo including the 4040 but then bought the TEAC
> reference system for the living room. Wofe hated it because it had
> wires between the boxes (no I don't get it either). So the Teac moved
> into the study and the older kit (apart from the Dual CS505) was dumped.
> But I am not sure that it was not a downgrade.
>
> And I cannot get DLNA to work happily.

I am with Wofe.

2018-04-02 10:22:51 UTC
On 02/04/2018 11:15, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
> krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>>> No - pretty boodly good, akchurly.
>>>
>> Sorry I meant my replacement - TEAC 300 reference (no DAB).
>>
>> I had a lot of decent stereo including the 4040 but then bought the TEAC
>> reference system for the living room. Wofe hated it because it had
>> wires between the boxes (no I don't get it either). So the Teac moved
>> into the study and the older kit (apart from the Dual CS505) was dumped.
>> But I am not sure that it was not a downgrade.
>>
>> And I cannot get DLNA to work happily.
>>

> I am with Wofe.

She has not got 2 x Bose to keep her happy and does not realise they do
not sound as good.

I also kept the Mission speakers but the other pair were given away.
Wharfedale's I think.

2018-04-02 10:28:54 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 11:15, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
>> krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>>> Sorry I meant my replacement - TEAC 300 reference (no DAB).
>>>
>>> I had a lot of decent stereo including the 4040 but then bought the TEAC
>>> reference system for the living room. Wofe hated it because it had
>>> wires between the boxes (no I don't get it either). So the Teac moved
>>> into the study and the older kit (apart from the Dual CS505) was dumped.
>>> But I am not sure that it was not a downgrade.
>>>
>>> And I cannot get DLNA to work happily.
>>>

>> I am with Wofe.
>>
> She has not got 2 x Bose to keep her happy and does not realise they do
> not sound as good.
>
> I also kept the Mission speakers but the other pair were given away.
> Wharfedale's I think.

Yebut it looks better. It is a case of values.

2018-04-02 10:33:46 UTC
On 02/04/2018 11:28, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
> krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>>> I am with Wofe.
>>>
>> She has not got 2 x Bose to keep her happy and does not realise they do
>> not sound as good.
>>
>> I also kept the Mission speakers but the other pair were given away.
>> Wharfedale's I think.
>>

> Yebut it looks better. It is a case of values.

I meant now, not not. Looks are unimportant. Sound quality is important.

Especially when she tells me never to play mp3 recordings as they do not
sound right!

2018-04-02 10:38:52 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 11:28, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
>> krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>>> She has not got 2 x Bose to keep her happy and does not realise they do
>>> not sound as good.
>>>
>>> I also kept the Mission speakers but the other pair were given away.
>>> Wharfedale's I think.
>>>

>> Yebut it looks better. It is a case of values.
>>
> I meant now, not not. Looks are unimportant. Sound quality is important.
>
> Especially when she tells me never to play mp3 recordings as they do not
> sound right!

Looks are important and so is quality but for me, there has to be a balance
based on my values. I would sacrifice some quality for looks but it is a
balance not an either or thing.

2018-04-02 11:38:10 UTC
On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 10:38:52 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>>> Yebut it looks better. It is a case of values.
>>>
>> I meant now, not not. Looks are unimportant. Sound quality is important.
>>
>> Especially when she tells me never to play mp3 recordings as they do not
>> sound right!
>>

>Looks are important and so is quality but for me, there has to be a balance
>based on my values. I would sacrifice some quality for looks but it is a
>balance not an either or thing.

Hm, the look of something you are going to listen to is less important than
the sound. Hiding wires isn't that difficult.

I am reminded of a chap we stayed with in Holland on a band tour. He had a
wall devoted to his jazz collection and discussion came around to the
latest Chris Barber album which we had recently acquired and thoroughly
enjoyed. He said he didn't like it and removed it from the shelf to
demonstrate that one side of one of the discs was only half full. We were
left wondering if he actually listened to his collection.
2018-04-02 17:28:13 UTC
On 02/04/2018 11:08, krw wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 01:19, steveski wrote; my response is lower down:

>>> I had one of those.  I suspect the replacement is a downgrade.
>>
>> No - pretty boodly good, akchurly.
>>
> Sorry I meant my replacement - TEAC 300 reference (no DAB).
>
> I had a lot of decent stereo including the 4040 but then bought the TEAC
> reference system for the living room.  Wofe hated it because it had
> wires between the boxes (no I don't get it either).

I have a system like that (with DAB and cassette player). It does have
wires, but they're completely hidden at the back and I think it's a very
neat-looking, compact system. I like the sound, too.

https://www.hifix.co.uk/teac-reference-300dab-mkii-system-silver

2018-04-01 07:40:57 UTC
steveski <***@invalid.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 00:08:58 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
> []
>
>> Ah - Garrard, a name to bring a tear of nostalgia (though not
>> necessarily affection!) to anyone of a suitable age. (Built like a
>> battleship, and often having as much delicacy - though the one in that
>> clip looks somewhat fancy.)
>
> <rumble, rumble> SP 25 Mk. III (but later I got a {gasp} Thorens . . . [1]

In my case, a Thorens TD 125 with a Shure V 15 Mk 3 ? Cartridge.

2018-04-01 08:04:07 UTC
On 01/04/2018 08:40, Mike wrote:
> steveski <***@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 00:08:58 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>
>> []
>>
>>> Ah - Garrard, a name to bring a tear of nostalgia (though not
>>> necessarily affection!) to anyone of a suitable age. (Built like a
>>> battleship, and often having as much delicacy - though the one in that
>>> clip looks somewhat fancy.)
>>
>> <rumble, rumble> SP 25 Mk. III (but later I got a {gasp} Thorens . . . [1]
>>

> In my case, a Thorens TD 125 with a Shure V 15 Mk 3 ? Cartridge.

I'd forgotten the cartridge. Mine was a Shure, but I can't remember the
model. I do remember having to take the stylus into Bristol Record
Library for inspection before I was permitted to take LPs out on loan.
(c1980)

2018-04-01 08:54:47 UTC
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 09:04:07 +0100, Sid Nuncius
<***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 01/04/2018 08:40, Mike wrote:
>> steveski <***@invalid.com> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 00:08:58 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>>
>>> []

>>> <rumble, rumble> SP 25 Mk. III (but later I got a {gasp} Thorens . . . [1]
>>>

>> In my case, a Thorens TD 125 with a Shure V 15 Mk 3 ? Cartridge.
>
>I'd forgotten the cartridge. Mine was a Shure, but I can't remember the
>model. I do remember having to take the stylus into Bristol Record
>Library for inspection before I was permitted to take LPs out on loan.
>(c1980)

Mine played 33s, 45s and 78s and we had quite a few of the 78s. I
inherited some from my cousin and among those were 4 recordings of
broadcasts by an American war correspondent called Quentin Reynolds.
Two were called Dr Dr and two were Dear Mr S.(Shickelgruber) They
were I suppose an early version of fb or tweeting to get to a number
of people countering the German PoV during the war.

Sadly someone promised to put them on cassette some years later for
me and after many pauses and excuses and delays we found he'd
apparently left them in a pile belonging to Hospital Radio Barnet,
where we were both DJs, and they'd been sold.

2018-04-01 09:00:11 UTC
On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 09:54:47 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 09:04:07 +0100, Sid Nuncius
><***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> In my case, a Thorens TD 125 with a Shure V 15 Mk 3 ? Cartridge.
>>
>>I'd forgotten the cartridge. Mine was a Shure, but I can't remember the
>>model. I do remember having to take the stylus into Bristol Record
>>Library for inspection before I was permitted to take LPs out on loan.
>>(c1980)
>
>Mine played 33s, 45s and 78s and we had quite a few of the 78s. I
>inherited some from my cousin and among those were 4 recordings of
>broadcasts by an American war correspondent called Quentin Reynolds.
>Two were called Dr Dr and two were Dear Mr S.(Shickelgruber) They
>were I suppose an early version of fb or tweeting to get to a number
>of people countering the German PoV during the war.
>
> Sadly someone promised to put them on cassette some years later for
>me and after many pauses and excuses and delays we found he'd
>apparently left them in a pile belonging to Hospital Radio Barnet,
>where we were both DJs, and they'd been sold.

I'd never tried searching before but
https://www.discogs.com/Quentin-Reynolds-Dear-Mr-S-Alias-Adolf-Hitler/master/1243022

2018-04-01 07:06:49 UTC
On 31/03/2018 22:54, LFS wrote:
> On 31/03/2018 19:24, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> On 31/03/2018 16:17, Jim Easterbrook wrote:

>>> The over 18s will be pixilated.
>>
>> :o))  Well played, sir!  And thank you for a new addition to my
>> vocabulary.
>
> Really? Ah, I expect you're too young to have known this:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPrvoN4c7g

Certainly not too young to have known Russ Conway - I always liked him a
lot on Children's Favourites (with Uncle Mac) when I were a nipper. I
don't remember that one, but it's a very evocatively nostalgic sound.

(I have last Train To San Fernando by Johnny Duncan and the Bluegrass
Boys on a random playlist and whenever it comes on I'm immediately about
7 years old and sitting by the Radio Rentals Grundig listening to CF on
a Saturday morning. Russ Conway has a similar, if slightly less
powerful, effect.)

2018-04-01 09:24:07 UTC
On 01/04/18 08:06, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 31/03/2018 22:54, LFS wrote:

>>> :o))  Well played, sir!  And thank you for a new addition to my
>>> vocabulary.
>>
>> Really? Ah, I expect you're too young to have known this:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPrvoN4c7g
>
> Certainly not too young to have known Russ Conway - I always liked him a
> lot on Children's Favourites (with Uncle Mac) when I were a nipper.  I
> don't remember that one, but it's a very evocatively nostalgic sound.

Whereas I associate him (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) with The
Billy Cotton Band Show.

john(Wakey wa---key)
Btms
2018-04-01 09:53:12 UTC
John Ashby <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

Snipped

> Whereas I associate him (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) with The
> Billy Cotton Band Show.
>
> john(Wakey wa---key)

Rightly I am sure. I have a flash back in b&w here!

2018-04-01 10:19:17 UTC
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 09:53:12 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>John Ashby <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>Snipped
>>
>> Whereas I associate him (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) with The
>> Billy Cotton Band Show.
>>
>> john(Wakey wa---key)
>>

>Rightly I am sure. I have a flash back in b&w here!

Wasn't that the minstrel show?
2018-04-01 10:45:19 UTC
Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 09:53:12 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> John Ashby <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Snipped
>>>
>>> Whereas I associate him (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) with The
>>> Billy Cotton Band Show.
>>>
>>> john(Wakey wa---key)
>>>

>> Rightly I am sure. I have a flash back in b&w here!
>
> Wasn't that the minstrel show?

Then there was sing something simple and Jack Emblow played trumpet....

2018-04-01 11:15:53 UTC
Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 09:53:12 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
>> scrawled in the dust...
>>
>>> John Ashby <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Snipped

>>> Rightly I am sure. I have a flash back in b&w here!
>>
>> Wasn't that the minstrel show?
>
> Then there was sing something simple and Jack Emblow played trumpet....

I couldn’t stay in the room with that. Another of Father’s favourites.
Mother was not generally allowed an opinion.

2018-04-01 11:15:53 UTC
Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 09:53:12 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> John Ashby <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Snipped
>>>
>>> Whereas I associate him (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) with The
>>> Billy Cotton Band Show.
>>>
>>> john(Wakey wa---key)
>>>

>> Rightly I am sure. I have a flash back in b&w here!
>
> Wasn't that the minstrel show?

His big number was “Side Saddle”. I am thinking he must have had a guest
spot on variety shows. There was a singer called Joan Reagan (sp) who
Father had the hots for. But he put people on a pedestal, then when the
fell off, he would just bang on endlessly about them in a negative way.
Don’t know what she did wrong. Divorced probably.

2018-04-01 10:03:25 UTC
On 01/04/2018 10:24, John Ashby wrote:
> On 01/04/18 08:06, Sid Nuncius wrote:

>>> Really? Ah, I expect you're too young to have known this:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPrvoN4c7g
>>
>> Certainly not too young to have known Russ Conway - I always liked him
>> a lot on Children's Favourites (with Uncle Mac) when I were a nipper.
>> I don't remember that one, but it's a very evocatively nostalgic sound.
>
> Whereas I associate him (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) with The
> Billy Cotton Band Show.

Wasn't that on one of those new-fangled televisions? We didn't have one
of them until about 1967, by which time I was 13 - although I do
remember seeing it once or twice when we visited my gran, who not only
had a TV set, but even watched ITV on it. I suspect that such
working-class Derbyshire habits were considered either peculiar or
quaint in the university common-room environment which my dad had
managed to enter by the time I was born.

2018-04-01 10:14:56 UTC
Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 10:24, John Ashby wrote:

>>> Certainly not too young to have known Russ Conway - I always liked him
>>> a lot on Children's Favourites (with Uncle Mac) when I were a nipper.
>>> I don't remember that one, but it's a very evocatively nostalgic sound.
>>
>> Whereas I associate him (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) with The
>> Billy Cotton Band Show.
>
> Wasn't that on one of those new-fangled televisions? We didn't have one
> of them until about 1967, by which time I was 13 - although I do
> remember seeing it once or twice when we visited my gran, who not only
> had a TV set, but even watched ITV on it. I suspect that such
> working-class Derbyshire habits were considered either peculiar or
> quaint in the university common-room environment which my dad had
> managed to enter by the time I was born.

My Father was snobbish imho about TV but gave in when it was pointed out he
had access to watching one on occasions. Itv was very much sneered at but
it made no odds as we couldn’t receive itv in Cornwall anyway. In his
latter years he was obsessed with Corrie, which we didn’t watch and there
would be tantrums and sulks when he stayed if he imagined he might not get
to see it! That was never likely to be the case btw. Just a projection of
how he might have behaved to others.

2018-04-01 10:43:07 UTC
Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 10:24, John Ashby wrote:

>>> Certainly not too young to have known Russ Conway - I always liked him
>>> a lot on Children's Favourites (with Uncle Mac) when I were a nipper.
>>> I don't remember that one, but it's a very evocatively nostalgic sound.
>>
>> Whereas I associate him (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) with The
>> Billy Cotton Band Show.
>
> Wasn't that on one of those new-fangled televisions? We didn't have one
> of them until about 1967, by which time I was 13 - although I do
> remember seeing it once or twice when we visited my gran, who not only
> had a TV set, but even watched ITV on it. I suspect that such
> working-class Derbyshire habits were considered either peculiar or
> quaint in the university common-room environment which my dad had
> managed to enter by the time I was born.

BCBS was a Sunday lunchtime radio show that we listened to as we prepared
the Sunday Roast. The windows were all steamed up from cooking the cabbage
etc....

2018-04-02 08:23:35 UTC
On 01/04/2018 11:43, Mike wrote:
> Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 01/04/2018 10:24, John Ashby wrote:

<snipped, attempting to keep attributions correct>

>>> Whereas I associate him (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) with The
>>> Billy Cotton Band Show.

Yes, I also remember Russ Conway from seeing him on the Billy Cotton
Band Show.

>> Wasn't that on one of those new-fangled televisions? We didn't have one
>> of them until about 1967, by which time I was 13 - although I do
>> remember seeing it once or twice when we visited my gran, who not only
>> had a TV set, but even watched ITV on it. I suspect that such
>> working-class Derbyshire habits were considered either peculiar or
>> quaint in the university common-room environment which my dad had
>> managed to enter by the time I was born.

Yes, definitely, on the tele.

> BCBS was a Sunday lunchtime radio show that we listened to as we prepared
> the Sunday Roast. The windows were all steamed up from cooking the cabbage
> etc....

Oh, yes, now you mention it, it was on the radio as well. I'd forgotten
that.

It's not worth replying just to relay these thoughts of mine, but
perhaps I will check up on this ....

Wikipedia tells us that:

The Billy Cotton Band Show was a Sunday lunchtime radio programme
broadcast in the BBC Light Programme from 1949 until 1968.

The show transferred to BBC Television in 1956, usually on Saturday
evenings at 7.00 pm. It ran, under various names, until 1965.

Regular entertainers included Alan Breeze, Kathie Kay, and the pianist
Russ Conway. Pianist Mrs Mills made her first television appearance on
the show.

2018-04-02 08:59:26 UTC
On 02/04/2018 09:23, carolet wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 11:43, Mike wrote:
>> Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On 01/04/2018 10:24, John Ashby wrote:
>
> <snipped, attempting to keep attributions correct>

> Yes, I also remember Russ Conway from seeing him on the Billy Cotton
> Band Show.
>

>>> Wasn't that on one of those new-fangled televisions?  We didn't have one
>>> of them until about 1967, by which time I was 13 - although I do
>>> remember seeing it once or twice when we visited my gran, who not only
>>> had a TV set, but even watched ITV on it.  I suspect that such
>>> working-class Derbyshire habits were considered either peculiar or
>>> quaint in the university common-room environment which my dad had
>>> managed to enter by the time I was born.
>>>

> Yes, definitely, on the tele.
>

>> BCBS was a Sunday lunchtime radio show that we listened to as we prepared
>> the Sunday Roast. The windows were all steamed up from cooking the
>> cabbage
>> etc....
>>

> Oh, yes, now you mention it, it was on the radio as well. I'd forgotten
> that.
>
> It's not worth replying just to relay these thoughts of mine, but
> perhaps I will check up on this ....
>

> Wikipedia tells us that:
>
> The Billy Cotton Band Show was a Sunday lunchtime radio programme
> broadcast in the BBC Light Programme from 1949 until 1968.
>
> The show transferred to BBC Television in 1956, usually on Saturday
> evenings at 7.00 pm. It ran, under various names, until 1965.
>
> Regular entertainers included Alan Breeze, Kathie Kay, and the pianist
> Russ Conway. Pianist Mrs Mills made her first television appearance on
> the show.

<blush>
Well, that shows how much I know...

Rosalind Mitchell
2018-04-02 14:10:54 UTC
On 02/04/18 09:59, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 09:23, carolet wrote:

>> Regular entertainers included Alan Breeze, Kathie Kay, and the pianist
>> Russ Conway. Pianist Mrs Mills made her first television appearance on
>> the show.
>
> <blush>
> Well, that shows how much I know...

One of my Infant School teachers was Mrs Mills. I got horribly confused.

The thing I most remember Mrs Mills (the teacher not the pianist) for is
making a model seaside town in the classroom. Amongst other things, we
used Polo mints as lifebelts. Mrs Mills told my mum at an open day that
we didn't come to school, we came to the seaside. This was nonsense of
course; we came to an ant-farm as loads of ants were drawn to the Polos.

Rotaa
BrritSki
2018-04-02 09:05:39 UTC
On 02/04/2018 10:23, carolet wrote:

> Wikipedia tells us that:
>
> The Billy Cotton Band Show was a Sunday lunchtime radio programme
> broadcast in the BBC Light Programme from 1949 until 1968.

Yersss, as anotherat mentioned earlier, I remember listening to this at
Grandma's while she prepared the roast (always with Yoorkshire Pud
served first with gravy) and turning on the old-fashioned wireless
several minutes before so it could warm up, and marvelling at the exotic
places such as Hilversum and Luxemburg.
Mike
2018-04-02 09:12:02 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 10:23, carolet wrote:
>>
>> Wikipedia tells us that:
>>
>> The Billy Cotton Band Show was a Sunday lunchtime radio programme
>> broadcast in the BBC Light Programme from 1949 until 1968.
>
> Yersss, as anotherat mentioned earlier, I remember listening to this at
> Grandma's while she prepared the roast (always with Yoorkshire Pud
> served first with gravy) and turning on the old-fashioned wireless
> several minutes before so it could warm up, and marvelling at the exotic
> places such as Hilversum and Luxemburg.

YANAOU!

2018-04-02 09:47:23 UTC
Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/04/2018 10:23, carolet wrote:
>>>
>>> Wikipedia tells us that:
>>>
>>> The Billy Cotton Band Show was a Sunday lunchtime radio programme
>>> broadcast in the BBC Light Programme from 1949 until 1968.
>>
>> Yersss, as anotherat mentioned earlier, I remember listening to this at
>> Grandma's while she prepared the roast (always with Yoorkshire Pud
>> served first with gravy) and turning on the old-fashioned wireless
>> several minutes before so it could warm up, and marvelling at the exotic
>> places such as Hilversum and Luxemburg.
>>

> YANAOU!

Only saw the only grandma once a year. No role model from a child’s
perspective. Boys didn’t see their grandparents much either. Hope I am
doing ok at it. Probably not.

2018-04-02 09:47:23 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 10:23, carolet wrote:
>>
>> Wikipedia tells us that:
>>
>> The Billy Cotton Band Show was a Sunday lunchtime radio programme
>> broadcast in the BBC Light Programme from 1949 until 1968.
>
> Yersss, as anotherat mentioned earlier, I remember listening to this at
> Grandma's while she prepared the roast (always with Yoorkshire Pud
> served first with gravy) and turning on the old-fashioned wireless
> several minutes before so it could warm up, and marvelling at the exotic
> places such as Hilversum and Luxemburg.

And two way family favourites?

2018-04-02 09:56:32 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/04/2018 10:23, carolet wrote:
>>>
>>> Wikipedia tells us that:
>>>
>>> The Billy Cotton Band Show was a Sunday lunchtime radio programme
>>> broadcast in the BBC Light Programme from 1949 until 1968.
>>
>> Yersss, as anotherat mentioned earlier, I remember listening to this at
>> Grandma's while she prepared the roast (always with Yoorkshire Pud
>> served first with gravy) and turning on the old-fashioned wireless
>> several minutes before so it could warm up, and marvelling at the exotic
>> places such as Hilversum and Luxemburg.
>>

> And two way family favourites?

Yup!

2018-04-02 09:51:25 UTC
On 02/04/2018 10:05, BrritSki wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 10:23, carolet wrote:
>>
>> Wikipedia tells us that:
>>
>> The Billy Cotton Band Show was a Sunday lunchtime radio programme
>> broadcast in the BBC Light Programme from 1949 until 1968.
>
> Yersss, as anotherat mentioned earlier, I remember listening to this at
> Grandma's while she prepared the roast (always with Yoorkshire Pud
> served first with gravy) and turning on the old-fashioned wireless
> several minutes before so it could warm up, and marvelling at the exotic
> places such as Hilversum and Luxemburg.

Yep. For some reason I found the name Hilversum rather scary, but they
were wonderful names. I've always really liked the Tom Robinson/Peter
Gabriel song Atmospherics, not least for the lines:

Atmospherics after dark
Noise and voices from the past
Across the dial from Moscow to Cologne:
Interference in the night
A thousand miles on either side
Stations fading into the unknown...

I still have my original single, and it's here for any interestedrats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9qz_bnJVlw

2018-04-02 10:13:22 UTC
Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 10:05, BrritSki wrote:
>> On 02/04/2018 10:23, carolet wrote:
>>>
>>> Wikipedia tells us that:
>>>
>>> The Billy Cotton Band Show was a Sunday lunchtime radio programme
>>> broadcast in the BBC Light Programme from 1949 until 1968.
>>
>> Yersss, as anotherat mentioned earlier, I remember listening to this at
>> Grandma's while she prepared the roast (always with Yoorkshire Pud
>> served first with gravy) and turning on the old-fashioned wireless
>> several minutes before so it could warm up, and marvelling at the exotic
>> places such as Hilversum and Luxemburg.
>
> Yep. For some reason I found the name Hilversum rather scary, but they [

[]

Not exotic or scary but I always wondered where it was so it made some sort
of affect on me. Where is it btw. I never did find out.

2018-04-02 10:23:36 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:

[]
>> Yep. For some reason I found the name Hilversum rather scary, but they [
>
> []
>

> Not exotic or scary but I always wondered where it was so it made some sort
> of affect on me. Where is it btw. I never did find out.

Apols., just realised I could answer the question myself with this new
fangled internet thingy!
As I had surmised for some reason, for so many years, it is a suburb of
Amsterdam and just a snort (twatbili) tram ride from where we lived in
Amstelveen. Doh! Just realised the brewery must have been thereabouts.
My relationship was chiefly with Albert Heine.

2018-04-02 10:25:18 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
> Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Yersss, as anotherat mentioned earlier, I remember listening to this at
>>> Grandma's while she prepared the roast (always with Yoorkshire Pud
>>> served first with gravy) and turning on the old-fashioned wireless
>>> several minutes before so it could warm up, and marvelling at the exotic
>>> places such as Hilversum and Luxemburg.
>>
>> Yep. For some reason I found the name Hilversum rather scary, but they [
>
> []
>

> Not exotic or scary but I always wondered where it was so it made some sort
> of affect on me. Where is it btw. I never did find out.

Near the lower centre of the dial in a brown rectangle. HAND

2018-04-02 10:23:28 UTC
On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 10:51:25 +0100, Sid Nuncius wrote:

> Yep. For some reason I found the name Hilversum rather scary, but they
> were wonderful names.

I once visited Hilversum for work purposes. Our host showed us the spot
where Pim Fortuyn had been assassinated. (And complimented me on my
pronunciation of the name, which was nice.)
2018-04-02 10:28:54 UTC
Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 10:51:25 +0100, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>>
>> Yep. For some reason I found the name Hilversum rather scary, but they
>> were wonderful names.
>
> I once visited Hilversum for work purposes. Our host showed us the spot
> where Pim Fortuyn had been assassinated. (And complimented me on my
> pronunciation of the name, which was nice.)

Praps Mr Nuncius knew this somewhere deep in his unconscious.

2018-04-02 20:28:52 UTC
On 02-Apr-18 10:51, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 02/04/2018 10:05, BrritSki wrote:
>> On 02/04/2018 10:23, carolet wrote:
>>>
>>> Wikipedia tells us that:
>>>
>>> The Billy Cotton Band Show was a Sunday lunchtime radio programme
>>> broadcast in the BBC Light Programme from 1949 until 1968.
>>
>> Yersss, as anotherat mentioned earlier, I remember listening to this
>> at Grandma's while she prepared the roast (always with Yoorkshire Pud
>> served first with gravy) and turning on the old-fashioned wireless
>> several minutes before so it could warm up, and marvelling at the
>> exotic places such as Hilversum and Luxemburg.
>
> Yep.  For some reason I found the name Hilversum rather scary, but they
> were wonderful names.  I've always really liked the Tom Robinson/Peter
> Gabriel song Atmospherics, not least for the lines:
>
> Atmospherics after dark
> Noise and voices from the past
> Across the dial from Moscow to Cologne:
> Interference in the night
> A thousand miles on either side
> Stations fading into the unknown...
>
> I still have my original single, and it's here for any interestedrats:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9qz_bnJVlw

It does say much about a world in which it was considered quite normal
to print the names of all those broadcast stations on the tuning dial of
a radio.
After all, nothing would change during the decades-long lifetime of that
radio set.

Rosalind Mitchell
2018-04-02 20:35:57 UTC
On 02/04/18 21:28, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 02-Apr-18 10:51, Sid Nuncius wrote:

>>> Yersss, as anotherat mentioned earlier, I remember listening to this
>>> at Grandma's while she prepared the roast (always with Yoorkshire Pud
>>> served first with gravy) and turning on the old-fashioned wireless
>>> several minutes before so it could warm up, and marvelling at the
>>> exotic places such as Hilversum and Luxemburg.
>>
>> Yep.  For some reason I found the name Hilversum rather scary, but
>> they were wonderful names.  I've always really liked the Tom
>> Robinson/Peter Gabriel song Atmospherics, not least for the lines:
>>
>> Atmospherics after dark
>> Noise and voices from the past
>> Across the dial from Moscow to Cologne:
>> Interference in the night
>> A thousand miles on either side
>> Stations fading into the unknown...
>>
>> I still have my original single, and it's here for any interestedrats:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9qz_bnJVlw
>>

> It does say much about a world in which it was considered quite normal
> to print the names of all those broadcast stations on the tuning dial of
> a radio.
> After all, nothing would change during the decades-long lifetime of that
> radio set.

What do they do in Kalundborg, Motala, Beromünster and all those other
places that have no meaning any more?

Rotaa
Vicky
2018-04-02 20:49:16 UTC
On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 21:28:52 +0100, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> wrote:

>It does say much about a world in which it was considered quite normal
>to print the names of all those broadcast stations on the tuning dial of
>a radio.
>After all, nothing would change during the decades-long lifetime of that
>radio set.

I'm just reading a book called Radio Girls, about the early days of
the BBC. Apparently they were not allowed to broadcast the news before
7pm. The newspapers got together and protested to parliament who set
this rule. News had to be in the papers first. And Lord Reith and the
talks department were very conscious that broadcasts might be able to
influence people and should be honest and not biased.

2018-04-01 09:58:10 UTC
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 08:06:49 +0100, Sid Nuncius
<***@hotmail.co.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>On 31/03/2018 22:54, LFS wrote:

>>> :o))  Well played, sir!  And thank you for a new addition to my
>>> vocabulary.
>>
>> Really? Ah, I expect you're too young to have known this:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPrvoN4c7g
>
>Certainly not too young to have known Russ Conway - I always liked him a
>lot on Children's Favourites (with Uncle Mac) when I were a nipper. I
>don't remember that one, but it's a very evocatively nostalgic sound.
>
>(I have last Train To San Fernando by Johnny Duncan and the Bluegrass
>Boys on a random playlist and whenever it comes on I'm immediately about
>7 years old and sitting by the Radio Rentals Grundig listening to CF on
>a Saturday morning. Russ Conway has a similar, if slightly less
>powerful, effect.)

We had a 78 of Russ Conway's The Runaway Train which got scratched at some
point so it would play ... over the hill ... over the hill ... over the
hill ... over the hill ... until nudged.
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-04-01 10:15:32 UTC
On 01/04/18 10:58, Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 08:06:49 +0100, Sid Nuncius
> <***@hotmail.co.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>>> Really? Ah, I expect you're too young to have known this:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPrvoN4c7g
>>
>> Certainly not too young to have known Russ Conway - I always liked him a
>> lot on Children's Favourites (with Uncle Mac) when I were a nipper. I
>> don't remember that one, but it's a very evocatively nostalgic sound.
>>
>> (I have last Train To San Fernando by Johnny Duncan and the Bluegrass
>> Boys on a random playlist and whenever it comes on I'm immediately about
>> 7 years old and sitting by the Radio Rentals Grundig listening to CF on
>> a Saturday morning. Russ Conway has a similar, if slightly less
>> powerful, effect.)
>
> We had a 78 of Russ Conway's The Runaway Train which got scratched at some
> point so it would play ... over the hill ... over the hill ... over the
> hill ... over the hill ... until nudged.

The Runaway Train was Michael Holliday, surely? Russ Conway just tinkled
the ivories, he didn't sing.

Rotaa
Penny
2018-04-01 11:25:34 UTC
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 11:15:32 +0100, Rosalind Mitchell <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...

>On 01/04/18 10:58, Penny wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 08:06:49 +0100, Sid Nuncius
>> <***@hotmail.co.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>>> Certainly not too young to have known Russ Conway - I always liked him a
>>> lot on Children's Favourites (with Uncle Mac) when I were a nipper. I
>>> don't remember that one, but it's a very evocatively nostalgic sound.
>>>
>>> (I have last Train To San Fernando by Johnny Duncan and the Bluegrass
>>> Boys on a random playlist and whenever it comes on I'm immediately about
>>> 7 years old and sitting by the Radio Rentals Grundig listening to CF on
>>> a Saturday morning. Russ Conway has a similar, if slightly less
>>> powerful, effect.)
>>
>> We had a 78 of Russ Conway's The Runaway Train which got scratched at some
>> point so it would play ... over the hill ... over the hill ... over the
>> hill ... over the hill ... until nudged.
>
>The Runaway Train was Michael Holliday, surely? Russ Conway just tinkled
>the ivories, he didn't sing.

Quite right. My unforgettery is not improving ... over the hill ... over
the hill... over the hill ...
We did have some Russ Conway too.

2018-04-01 07:35:09 UTC
Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31/03/2018 16:17, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 16:08:49 +0100, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>
>>> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks! The BTAs are to be awarded
>>> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall. The
>>> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
>>> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green. It is
>>> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
>>> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
>>> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be
>>> pixellated.
>>
>> The over 18s will be pixilated.
>
> :o)) Well played, sir! And thank you for a new addition to my vocabulary.

A fan once requested a singed photo from Spike Milligan, so was sent a
photo with the edges burnt; the fan wrote back to thank Spike and added
‘that unfortunately, the edges were signed.’

2018-03-31 15:48:36 UTC
Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks! The BTAs are to be awarded
> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall. The
> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green. It is
> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be pixellated.

Do make sure you are late dear. Your track record of efficiency is most
worrying. Entirely out of kilter with our assumed god like pretensions.
Do attempt a healthy degree of confusion and over assertiveness; there’s a
good chap.

2018-03-31 16:14:04 UTC
On 31/03/2018 16:48, Btms wrote:
> Do make sure you are late dear. Your track record of efficiency is most
> worrying. Entirely out of kilter with our assumed god like pretensions.
> Do attempt a healthy degree of confusion and over assertiveness; there’s a
> good chap.

I have nearly as much confidence in my having completely cocked-up the
attributions (I'll be counting >>>s in my sleep to-night!) as I have in
your approval of my inefficiency!

2018-03-31 20:46:37 UTC
On 31/03/18 17:14, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 31/03/2018 16:48, Btms wrote:
>> Do make sure you are late dear.  Your track record of efficiency is most
>> worrying.  Entirely out of kilter with our assumed god like pretensions.
>> Do attempt a healthy degree of confusion and over assertiveness;
>> there’s a
>> good chap.
>
> I have nearly as much confidence in my having completely cocked-up the
> attributions (I'll be counting >>>s in my sleep to-night!) as I have in
> your approval of my inefficiency!

Presuming this is not just some grandiose April Fool's Day trick then
I'm delighted to hear about the event. Unfortunately, and again not an
April Fool's Day trick, we are leaving for Bariloche tomorrow and umra
will have to be in read-only mode for the next ten days or thereabouts.

So, part one.
Don't panic when I go silent, will you? And

So, part two.
Since I'm confident of winning in all the important categories I intend
to give my acceptance speech now:

Thank you to my parents and siblings, to my friends and family and of
course to umra without whose nominations I wouldn't be where I am today.
My manager and agent (you were right by the way - those casting couch
sessions made all the difference to my career) my loyal fans and all the
others too numerous to care about,

Thank you,

thank you,

thank you

2018-03-31 21:03:37 UTC
Nick Odell <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
> On 31/03/18 17:14, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 31/03/2018 16:48, Btms wrote:
>>> Do make sure you are late dear.  Your track record of efficiency is most
>>> worrying.  Entirely out of kilter with our assumed god like pretensions.
>>> Do attempt a healthy degree of confusion and over assertiveness;
>>> there’s a
>>> good chap.
>>
>> I have nearly as much confidence in my having completely cocked-up the
>> attributions (I'll be counting >>>s in my sleep to-night!) as I have in
>> your approval of my inefficiency!
>>
> Presuming this is not just some grandiose April Fool's Day trick then
> I'm delighted to hear about the event. Unfortunately, and again not an
> April Fool's Day trick, we are leaving for Bariloche tomorrow and umra
> will have to be in read-only mode for the next ten days or thereabouts.
>
> So, part one.
> Don't panic when I go silent, will you? And
>
> So, part two.
> Since I'm confident of winning in all the important categories I intend
> to give my acceptance speech now:
>
> Thank you to my parents and siblings, to my friends and family and of
> course to umra without whose nominations I wouldn't be where I am today.
> My manager and agent (you were right by the way - those casting couch
> sessions made all the difference to my career) my loyal fans and all the
> others too numerous to care about,
>
> Thank you,
>
> thank you,
>
> thank you
>
> Nick

Get him off someone. Get him off!

2018-03-31 22:01:57 UTC
On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 21:03:37 +0000, Btms wrote:

> Nick Odell <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:

[]

>> Presuming this is not just some grandiose April Fool's Day trick then
>> I'm delighted to hear about the event. Unfortunately, and again not an
>> April Fool's Day trick, we are leaving for Bariloche tomorrow and umra
>> will have to be in read-only mode for the next ten days or thereabouts.
>>
>> So, part one.
>> Don't panic when I go silent, will you? And
>>
>> So, part two.
>> Since I'm confident of winning in all the important categories I intend
>> to give my acceptance speech now:
>>
>> Thank you to my parents and siblings, to my friends and family and of
>> course to umra without whose nominations I wouldn't be where I am
>> today.
>> My manager and agent (you were right by the way - those casting couch
>> sessions made all the difference to my career) my loyal fans and all
>> the others too numerous to care about,
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> thank you,
>>
>> thank you
>>
>> Nick
>>

> Get him off someone. Get him off!

<stagehook>

the Omrud
2018-04-01 12:35:45 UTC
On 31/03/2018 16:08, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks!  The BTAs are to be awarded
> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall.  The
> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green.  It is
> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be pixellated.

Please accept my apologies for the event - we are in SW France
experiencing unseasonably cold weather, although it is very bright and
clear. But we have Internet Radio and so are keeping up with the
Ambridge Documentary.

David
Btms
2018-04-01 13:35:11 UTC
> On 31/03/2018 16:08, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks!  The BTAs are to be awarded
>> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall.  The
>> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
>> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green.  It is
>> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
>> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
>> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be pixellated.

Can I suggest we also pixelate Britski’s bum if he displays it? Mrs Snell
is not in a good mood as it is. Otoh she might cough up £20 for the
original?

2018-04-01 13:45:54 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:

>> On 31/03/2018 16:08, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks!  The BTAs are to be awarded
>>> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall.  The
>>> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
>>> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green.  It is
>>> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
>>> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
>>> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be pixellated.
>>

> Can I suggest we also pixelate Britski’s bum if he displays it? Mrs Snell
> is not in a good mood as it is. Otoh she might cough up £20 for the
> original?

Oiy! Can we have the carpet cleaner over here please; I had quite forgotten
about Sid’s disgraceful behaviour when Matron was distracted by the fifth
free glass of Red, the mess on the carpet didn’t improve for being rolled
up since last year....euuuuch!

2018-04-01 14:09:50 UTC
On 01/04/2018 15:35, Btms wrote:

>> On 31/03/2018 16:08, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks!  The BTAs are to be awarded
>>> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall.  The
>>> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
>>> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green.  It is
>>> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
>>> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
>>> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be pixellated.
>>

> Can I suggest we also pixelate Britski’s bum if he displays it? Mrs Snell
> is not in a good mood as it is. Otoh she might cough up £20 for the
> original?

£20 for a flash ? I'm on, you paying by cash or card ?

Extras is extra btw...
Mike
2018-04-01 14:22:09 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Can I suggest we also pixelate Britski’s bum if he displays it? Mrs Snell
>> is not in a good mood as it is. Otoh she might cough up £20 for the
>> original?
>>
> £20 for a flash ? I'm on, you paying by cash or card ?
>
> Extras is extra btw...

Whatever you do, don’t do contact!

2018-04-01 15:35:30 UTC

You can swipe though...
Mike
2018-04-01 15:49:00 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 16:22, Mike wrote:
>> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> £20 for a flash ? I'm on, you paying by cash or card ?
>>>
>>> Extras is extra btw...
>>>

>> Whatever you do, don’t do contact!
>>
> You can swipe though...

Wiping is extra Luv....

2018-04-01 18:05:59 UTC
On 01/04/18 16:35, BrritSki wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 16:22, Mike wrote:
>> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> £20 for a flash ?  I'm on, you paying by cash or card ?
>>>
>>> Extras is extra btw...
>>>

>> Whatever you do, don’t do contact!
>>
> You can swipe though...

But be careful with the PIN.

2018-04-01 16:02:49 UTC
<***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks! The BTAs are to be awarded
>at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall. The
>ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
>crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green. It is
>proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
>all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
>and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be pixellated.

You say nothing about the catering. Is it being catered by GG, LL,
The Bull or the tea shop team, or should we bring offerings, although
it's a bit short notice now. I have scones and a freshly baked lemon
drizzle cake to contribute.

2018-04-01 16:34:38 UTC
Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 16:08:49 +0100, Jenny M Benson
> <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks! The BTAs are to be awarded
>> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall. The
>> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
>> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green. It is
>> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
>> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
>> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be pixellated.
>
> You say nothing about the catering. Is it being catered by GG, LL,
> The Bull or the tea shop team, or should we bring offerings, although
> it's a bit short notice now. I have scones and a freshly baked lemon
> drizzle cake to contribute.

Scones will be fine as long as its jam first? But if the lemon drizzle is
also on offer?......

2018-04-01 22:30:33 UTC
On 01/04/2018 17:34, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
> Scones will be fine as long as its jam first?

Butter first, then jam, then cream.

2018-04-02 06:42:41 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 17:34, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
>> Scones will be fine as long as its jam first?
>
> Butter first, then jam, then cream.

Heathen furriner

2018-04-02 08:50:08 UTC
On 01/04/2018 23:30, krw wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 17:34, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
>> Scones will be fine as long as its jam first?
>
> Butter first, then jam, then cream.

Quite!

My daughter once sent me a tub of clotted cream and nearly had apoplexy
when I said I had enjoyed it on a bap. She still rants about it, some
years later and I still don't see what's wrong with having cream (over
butter and jam) on a bap if one chooses to do so.

2018-04-02 08:57:19 UTC
Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 23:30, krw wrote:
>> On 01/04/2018 17:34, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
>>> Scones will be fine as long as its jam first?
>>
>> Butter first, then jam, then cream.
>
> Quite!
>
> My daughter once sent me a tub of clotted cream and nearly had apoplexy
> when I said I had enjoyed it on a bap. She still rants about it, some
> years later and I still don't see what's wrong with having cream (over
> butter and jam) on a bap if one chooses to do so.

Actually, back in the day the Cornish didn’t put jam then cream on scones.
They put them on a sweet bap. Of course which way around doesn’t really
matter but the Cornish method gets lots of jam spread to the edges and
allows a huge dollop of cream on top. The traditional Cornish woman is
errrrr....hmmmmm......fulsome?

2018-04-02 10:12:04 UTC
On 02/04/2018 09:57, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
> The traditional Cornish woman is
> errrrr....hmmmmm......fulsome?

Traditionally built.

2018-04-03 01:34:12 UTC
In message
<2121183749.544351983.542720.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
org>, Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
[]
>Actually, back in the day the Cornish didn’t put jam then cream on scones.
>They put them on a sweet bap. Of course which way around doesn’t really
>matter but the Cornish method gets lots of jam spread to the edges and
>allows a huge dollop of cream on top. The traditional Cornish woman is
>errrrr....hmmmmm......fulsome?

Just on purely mechanical grounds, I can't see how you'd put jam on top
of cream, unless the cream is a lot more solid than even clotted implies
to me.

I agree, eat what you want! Similarly, the tradition of only having mint
sauce with lamb, and similarly for cranberry sauce, apple sauce, and so
on with their particular meats.

Your description of the traditional Cornish woman makes me look forward
to the next time I get a fulsome apology ...

I'm not a great fan of new technology. I don't change my phone every time the
bell rings - Sir David Attenborough, RT 2016/1/23-29
Vicky
2018-04-02 08:59:33 UTC
On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 23:30:33 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 01/04/2018 17:34, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
>> Scones will be fine as long as its jam first?
>
>Butter first, then jam, then cream.

Quite right! The cream is optional for me. Just butter and jam is
fine.

2018-04-01 17:39:58 UTC
Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 16:08:49 +0100, Jenny M Benson
> <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks! The BTAs are to be awarded
>> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall. The
>> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
>> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green. It is
>> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
>> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
>> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be pixellated.
>
> You say nothing about the catering. Is it being catered by GG, LL,
> The Bull or the tea shop team, or should we bring offerings, although
> it's a bit short notice now. I have scones and a freshly baked lemon
> drizzle cake to contribute.

Just to add that I’m bringing four varieties of home-made ice cream (a bit
of a surplus of eggs). They will be in suitable containers so as to remain
frozen, and you can choose from coffee, strawberry, mango or apricot.

2018-04-01 17:51:29 UTC
Sally Thompson <***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 16:08:49 +0100, Jenny M Benson
>> <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Dust off your DJs and party frocks, folks! The BTAs are to be awarded
>>> at 8pm to-morrow (Easter Sunday) in the Ambridge Village Hall. The
>>> ceremony will be broadcast on loud-speakers for the benefit of the vast
>>> crowds who are expected to congregate on the village green. It is
>>> proposed to post a recording of the proceedings will on YouTube so will
>>> all attendees please provide written consent for their images to be used
>>> and please be assured that the faces of any under-18s will be pixellated.
>>
>> You say nothing about the catering. Is it being catered by GG, LL,
>> The Bull or the tea shop team, or should we bring offerings, although
>> it's a bit short notice now. I have scones and a freshly baked lemon
>> drizzle cake to contribute.
>>

> Just to add that I’m bringing four varieties of home-made ice cream (a bit
> of a surplus of eggs). They will be in suitable containers so as to remain
> frozen, and you can choose from coffee, strawberry, mango or apricot.

Oooh I say! Mr Btms loves ice cream; he would love it if he could be
offered a taste, despite not being an umrat?

2018-04-01 18:29:44 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
> Sally Thompson <***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You say nothing about the catering. Is it being catered by GG, LL,
>>> The Bull or the tea shop team, or should we bring offerings, although
>>> it's a bit short notice now. I have scones and a freshly baked lemon
>>> drizzle cake to contribute.
>>>

>> Just to add that I’m bringing four varieties of home-made ice cream (a bit
>> of a surplus of eggs). They will be in suitable containers so as to remain
>> frozen, and you can choose from coffee, strawberry, mango or apricot.
>>

> Oooh I say! Mr Btms loves ice cream; he would love it if he could be
> offered a taste, despite not being an umrat?

I think we could make him an honorary umrat for the evening, don’t you?

2018-04-01 18:40:03 UTC
Sally Thompson <***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
>> Sally Thompson <***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>>> Just to add that I’m bringing four varieties of home-made ice cream (a bit
>>> of a surplus of eggs). They will be in suitable containers so as to remain
>>> frozen, and you can choose from coffee, strawberry, mango or apricot.
>>>

>> Oooh I say! Mr Btms loves ice cream; he would love it if he could be
>> offered a taste, despite not being an umrat?
>>

> I think we could make him an honorary umrat for the evening, don’t you?

He will be thrilled 🤗. What time do we pitch up? I suppose it should be
7.00pm

He will bring his own teaspoon.