OT: Ask EU Win10 Backup
2017-07-20 08:27:58 UTC
My 18 month old Win10 laptop has shuffled off this mortal coil (ASUS
wanted €900 to repair it !) so I have another one on the way.

I'm pretty good at doing manual backups (I lost nothing when that old
laptop crashed), but since this will be an SSD only device I think it
would be wise to have automatic backups to my Google Drive or similar
Cloud device.

Anyrat got any suggestions for the best apps to use ?
At the Sheddi's favourite price of course !
the Omrud
2017-07-20 09:20:51 UTC
My 18 month old Win10 laptop has shuffled off this mortal coil (ASUS
wanted €900 to repair it !) so I have another one on the way.
I'm pretty good at doing manual backups (I lost nothing when that old
laptop crashed), but since this will be an SSD only device I think it
would be wise to have automatic backups to my Google Drive or similar
Cloud device.
Anyrat got any suggestions for the best apps to use ?
At the Sheddi's favourite price of course !
If you need to back up a small amount of data (in hard disk terms), then
MozyHome Free would be very suitable - it's very simple and completely
automatic. I've been using it for 10 years or more. The free product
gives you 2GB, but you can gain more via referrals. Both the referrer
and the new user get extra allowance.

Should this sound useful (and there's no harm in using it for backup in
addition to any other solutions you may choose), please consider using
my reference code, which will give us both more data allowance:

https://secure.mozy.com/?code=RS9W45

(it's actually registered to Wife, and I would appreciate no publication
of any names you may see).

Another very good solution is Carbonite, but I don't think they have a
free allowance. I actually pay Carbonite a considerable amount each
year, but for that I can back up unlimited data. I'm heading for 300
GB, I think.
David
the Omrud
2017-07-20 09:22:02 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Golly, no, I checked. Nearly 600 GB now.
David
BrritSki
2017-07-20 09:42:08 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by BrritSki
[...]
That's one I'd considered. Doesn't look like there's anything good that
will handle ALL my data (not huge but more than 2GB), but I can take a
one off backup of everything and then just use MozyHome Free for
incremental updates which will be tiny.

Thanks, I'll mention you if I use it. Anonymity guaranteed of course !
the Omrud
2017-07-20 09:55:45 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Good, certainly, but not free.

It's worth adding a reference to Office 365 - a 5-device Home
subscription costs £80 per year, which gives you all the Office suite of
programs, up to date, and 1TB of OneDrive per device/user. The reason I
haven't switched from Carbonite is that a) I have the latest version of
Office from my previous job, and b) OneDrive is irritating when used as
a backup tool. It doesn't allow the selection of multiple folder
hierarchies. I have colleagues who copy their data to a BACKUP folder
on a separate drive, and then use OneDrive to sync that to to cloud. I
probably will buy it eventually though.
David
Chris J Dixon
2017-07-20 10:30:05 UTC
Post by the Omrud
It's worth adding a reference to Office 365 - a 5-device Home
subscription costs £80 per year, which gives you all the Office suite of
programs, up to date, and 1TB of OneDrive per device/user. The reason I
haven't switched from Carbonite is that a) I have the latest version of
Office from my previous job, and b) OneDrive is irritating when used as
a backup tool. It doesn't allow the selection of multiple folder
hierarchies. I have colleagues who copy their data to a BACKUP folder
on a separate drive, and then use OneDrive to sync that to to cloud. I
probably will buy it eventually though.
In addition to my local backups to NAS and USB drives I do much
as you describe.

My PC has a SSD and two HDD. One of the things I do with the
second HDD is host a folder for all the files I want backed up to
Onedrive, which is essentially a subset of our data.

I started doing this manually every few days, by using copy in
File Explorer, but this really isn't very intelligent, and
doesn't allow you to only copy newer versions, or automatically
delete files no longer in the source directory. It was also quite
time consuming manually selecting, a folder at a time, only those
ones I wanted.

The program that has made this very much easier is FreeFileSynch
https://www.freefilesync.org/

You can set it up in a number of ways to do exactly what you
need, and is probably quite useful in other scenarios.

BOFE is currently abroad, but her laptop is set up with her own
implementation of Onedrive (with 365 every user gets their own
1TB), which synchronises her changes back onto her login on this
PC, and then gets backed up here with everything else.

***@cdixon.me.uk
Thanks Chris, I'll take a look.
Flop
2017-07-20 12:40:37 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
The program that has made this very much easier is FreeFileSynch
https://www.freefilesync.org/
You can set it up in a number of ways to do exactly what you
need, and is probably quite useful in other scenarios.
Chris
+1

It also comes with RealTimeSync for automatic backup of changes. But...
it is not as user friendly with a Command Line to be entered.
--
Flop
General Norman Schwarzkopf was asked if he thought there was room for
OUR job is to arrange the meeting."
BrritSki
2017-07-20 10:43:40 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by BrritSki
That's one I'd considered. Doesn't look like there's anything good that
will handle ALL my data (not huge but more than 2GB), but I can take a
one off backup of everything and then just use MozyHome Free for
incremental updates which will be tiny.
Good, certainly, but not free.
My envisaged use would be free. I have a large static archive which I
occasionally refer to but never update. I'd back this up somewhere else
like to my Google Drive which is big enough and free. The small amount
of data that changes regularly is what I would use MozyHome Free for and
2GB would be ample
Post by the Omrud
It's worth adding a reference to Office 365 - a 5-device Home
subscription costs £80 per year, which gives you all the Office suite of
programs, up to date, and 1TB of OneDrive per device/user. The reason I
haven't switched from Carbonite is that a) I have the latest version of
Office from my previous job, and b) OneDrive is irritating when used as
a backup tool. It doesn't allow the selection of multiple folder
hierarchies. I have colleagues who copy their data to a BACKUP folder
on a separate drive, and then use OneDrive to sync that to to cloud. I
probably will buy it eventually though.
I have Office 365 already, but had noted the restrictions and problems
with using OneDrive to backup.

Note that I really only need backup, not synching. 99.9% of the time I
do updates on the laptop. Almost never on tablet or phone - I can't
remember ever doing it, but not ruling it out as a possibility. I
occasionally LOOK at a backed up file on phone/tablet, but only for
reference.