OT: help for splitting files and/or video compression on Apple computers (for Bingo)
2018-06-15 20:37:34 UTC
Bingo's Mum wanted to send me a video clip of Bingo being Bingo, for me
to add to http://255soft.uk/Bingo/ for you all, but something told her
the file was too big to email.

I had the feeling that somerats are users of Apple machines, so I
wondered if anyone could advise how to do the following on Apple - of
which _I_ know almost nothing. Any solution would have to be (a) free
[if it actually involves downloading anything that isn't part of what
you find on an Apple machine anyway] (b) dead simple to use (and install
if it needs installing) [Mary says she just uses the machines, doesn't
know much about them]:

either: split a file into small chunks (that a Windows 7 user like me
would be able to reassemble)
and/or: apply video processing (such as compression, and/or resolution
reduction) that would make a file smaller. (Ideally with _some_ options
to vary things, such as the amount of compression, as long as it isn't
complicated.)

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).
Nick Odell
2018-06-15 21:14:24 UTC
[...]
Oh dear. Somebody's mum isn't a Plusnet subscriber, are they? AIUI there
are no limits to file size on Plusnet email attachments.

Hotmail/Outlook has an attachment limit of 25Mb if that's big enough.

Many people use Dropbox to send big files. Personally, I won't use it
but other people don't seem all that bothered. If you want to try file
transfer online, the first page of the Google search File Transfer
Online has useful suggestions.

Finally, any mileage in posting to a binary group in usenet?

2018-06-16 01:23:42 UTC
In message <pg1a7i$q1e$***@dont-email.me>, Nick Odell
<***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> writes:
Oh dear. Somebody's mum isn't a Plusnet subscriber, are they? AIUI
there are no limits to file size on Plusnet email attachments.
No.
Post by Nick Odell
Hotmail/Outlook has an attachment limit of 25Mb if that's big enough.
She's sending from an Apple computer - I don't know if Outlook's
available for Outlook; I think the problem was the provider limiting the
size, rather than the local software.
Post by Nick Odell
Many people use Dropbox to send big files. Personally, I won't use it
(Me neither.)
Post by Nick Odell
but other people don't seem all that bothered. If you want to try file
transfer online, the first page of the Google search File Transfer
Online has useful suggestions.
I think she doesn't want to use any of the hosting sites, let alone File
Transfer (Thanks Sally for that suggestion too); if she was able to
manage any of that sort of thing, I wouldn't have been hosting the Bingo
pictures/clips for her in the first place.

I was just thinking there must be some simple way of either splitting
the file into small pieces or doing some video compression on it; it
would be trivial for me in Windows, but I don't know what's available
for Apple (either provided as part of the OS or easily downloaded and
installed).
Post by Nick Odell
Finally, any mileage in posting to a binary group in usenet?
I think not. (I'm not sure if I'd be able to fetch thence anyway; I know
Eternal September don't do binaries, I'm not sure about PlusNet, and I
think Teranews has died.)

Enjoy life now - it has an expiration date
Sid Nuncius
2018-06-16 05:22:18 UTC
Many people use Dropbox to send big files. Personally, I won't use it
but other people don't seem all that bothered.
Oo-er! I use it very occasionally but didn't realise there was any
reason to be wary. Would you mind saying what your reservations are?
Jane Vernon
2018-06-16 08:19:17 UTC
Many people use Dropbox to send big files. Personally, I won't use it
but other people don't seem all that bothered.
Oo-er!  I use it very occasionally but didn't realise there was any
reason to be wary.  Would you mind saying what your reservations are?
I use it as a paid-for professional service. It isn't cheap (£7.99 per
month) but it works brilliantly. I keep all my data on it, as the best
way of backing things up.

I was recommended Dropbox by my stepson's wife, who generally solves all
my techy problems these days.
--
Jane
BTME

2018-06-16 09:02:55 UTC
Many people use Dropbox to send big files. Personally, I won't use it
but other people don't seem all that bothered.
Oo-er!  I use it very occasionally but didn't realise there was any
reason to be wary.  Would you mind saying what your reservations are?
I use it as a paid-for professional service.  It isn't cheap (£7.99 per
month) but it works brilliantly.  I keep all my data on it, as the best
way of backing things up.
I was recommended Dropbox by my stepson's wife, who generally solves all
my techy problems these days.
I use the free version which is quite roomy (6GB) for file-sharing with
colleagues. It's user-friendly and simple, and doesn't appear to
interfere with anything or to have intrusive ads or anything like that.

I also have a paid-for terabyte with M$'s OneDrive, which is also simple
and is my cloud backup in addition to my external hard disks. I haven't
heard anything bad of either OneDrive or Dropbox. Yet.
Jane Vernon
2018-06-16 09:07:55 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
I get OneCloud as part of my Office 365 subscription. I don't find it
as easy to use as Dropbox so won't be abandoning Dropbox for it but like
you, I haven't heard anything bad about either service.
--
Jane
BTME

2018-06-16 09:19:04 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Kate B
I also have a paid-for terabyte with M$'s OneDrive, which is also simple
and is my cloud backup in addition to my external hard disks. I haven't
heard anything bad of either OneDrive or Dropbox. Yet.
I get OneCloud as part of my Office 365 subscription. I don't find it
as easy to use as Dropbox so won't be abandoning Dropbox for it but like
you, I haven't heard anything bad about either service.
Dropbox had a leak of customer passwords a few years ago.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/31/dropbox-hack-passwords-68m-data-breach
#2 daughter set up dropbox so grandparents can see baby photos. It
worked well for a while but then began to nag me about upgrading and
saying it is full and if I want more I should pay. I just look when
there are new pics or vids. Daughter says she has no idea why it says
it is full. It doesn't tell her. They tried another platform, but I
forget what it was. I think she said grans didn't use it so she went
back to dropbox.
Nick Odell
2018-06-16 09:56:43 UTC
Many people use Dropbox to send big files. Personally, I won't use it
but other people don't seem all that bothered.
Oo-er!  I use it very occasionally but didn't realise there was any
reason to be wary.  Would you mind saying what your reservations are?
I think you might be making the mistake of confusing my paranoia for a
logical, thought-out position.

The short version is that I'm avoiding, as far as possible, signing up
to anything else[1] that wants me to register with them and invites me
to press the big shiny "I accept" button and leave the rest to them.

Nick
[1]The rest are probably lost causes.
Sally Thompson
2018-06-15 23:09:45 UTC
[...]
I use WeTransfer <https://wetransfer.com/>. Is that the sort of thing you
mean?
Fred
2018-06-16 07:41:59 UTC
Bingo's Mum wanted to send me a video clip of Bingo being Bingo, for me
to add to http://255soft.uk/Bingo/ for you all, but something told her
the file was too big to email.
SNIP
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
J. P. Gilliver.
Will the ZIP option reduce the file size enough?
How to is here
http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/10/how-to-zip-files-in-mac-os-x/

DO NOT download anything off the site, the layout is deliberately confusing to encourage you to download apps of various types.
If you read it carefully, there are step-by-step instructions interlarded with the "Download Now" stuff.

If you are still stuck, email me as I am in YMUG (Yorkshire Mac Users Group) and they will, I am sure offer solutions.
Bingo's mum could join (5 Squids a year per family). You don't actually have to live in Yorkshire (we have an antipodean and a Canak as well as someone from Lincolnshire! and the group are incredibly helpful and friendly - rather like a Mac type UMRA,
We have a couple of people who are almost computer illiterate and who are helped out often.

Fred
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-16 11:01:04 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
J. P. Gilliver.
Will the ZIP option reduce the file size enough?
How to is here
http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/10/how-to-zip-files-in-mac-os-x/
DO NOT download anything off the site, the layout is deliberately
[rest of good stuff snipped]
Thanks, passed on to Bingoland, though I imagine she's seen it in UMRA
anyway.

And if you kill Judi Dench, you can't go back home. - Bill Nighy (on learning
to ride a motorbike [on which she would be side-saddle] for "The Best Exotic
Marigold Hotel"), quoted in Radio Times 18-24 February 2012.
SODAM
2018-06-20 12:22:20 UTC
[...]
Thank you to all techie Umrats for your contributions with suggestions. I
am trying to work through them all to find what works.

Back after a short absence owing to busyness.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor