OT: New cliche rant
Fred
2018-03-03 11:07:35 UTC
The week in Westminster has just repeated what appears to be a new cliche.
"There will be clear red water between ..."
It see,ms to me to be a combination of, " A red line (we will not cross)" and "Clear blue water (between)"
Fred
2018-03-03 11:09:25 UTC
Post by Fred
The week in Westminster has just repeated what appears to be a new cliche.
"There will be clear red water between ..."
It see,ms to me to be a combination of, " A red line (we will not cross)" and "Clear blue water (between)"
Sorry, hit the wrong key before I had finished - it's the red mist, gets in the way.
Anyway, what I was going to add was; CHOOSE ONE!!!
But it has rather lost its emphasis now.
Fred, the one with steam coming out of his ears.
BrritSki
2018-03-03 11:41:00 UTC
Post by Fred
Post by Fred
The week in Westminster has just repeated what appears to be a new cliche.
"There will be clear red water between ..."
It see,ms to me to be a combination of, " A red line (we will not cross)" and "Clear blue water (between)"
Sorry, hit the wrong key before I had finished - it's the red mist, gets in the way.
Anyway, what I was going to add was; CHOOSE ONE!!!
But it has rather lost its emphasis now.
Fred, the one with steam coming out of his ears.
Yebbut it only applies to Labour Party policies dunnit ?

Geddit ???
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-03-03 12:28:03 UTC
Post by Fred
The week in Westminster has just repeated what appears to be a new cliche.
"There will be clear red water between ..."
It see,ms to me to be a combination of, " A red line (we will not
cross)" and "Clear blue water (between)"
There Will Be Blood? Cormac McCarthy I believe, via the Coen brothers.

Rotoo
Kate B
2018-03-04 12:41:22 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Fred
The week in Westminster has just repeated what appears to be a new cliche.
"There will be clear red water between ..."
It see,ms to me to be a combination of, " A red line (we will not
cross)" and "Clear blue water (between)"
There Will Be Blood? Cormac McCarthy I believe, via the Coen brothers.
Enoch Powell got there first (courtesy of Virgil...)
2018-03-04 15:39:47 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Fred
The week in Westminster has just repeated what appears to be a new cliche.
"There will be clear red water between ..."
It see,ms to me to be a combination of, " A red line (we will not
cross)" and "Clear blue water (between)"
There Will Be Blood? Cormac McCarthy I believe, via the Coen brothers.
Enoch Powell got there first (courtesy of Virgil...)
I didn't realise that the pilot of Thunderbird 2 said anything like
that . . .

IGMC
2018-03-05 20:12:54 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Fred
The week in Westminster has just repeated what appears to be a new cliche.
"There will be clear red water between ..."
It see,ms to me to be a combination of, " A red line (we will not
cross)" and "Clear blue water (between)"
There Will Be Blood? Cormac McCarthy I believe, via the Coen brothers.
Enoch Powell got there first (courtesy of Virgil...)
And is nearly _always_ quoted out of context (it was a prediction, not a
threat).
Post by steveski
I didn't realise that the pilot of Thunderbird 2 said anything like
that . . .
IGMC
No need (-:. [The TB pilots were named after astronauts; I can't
remember Virgil who.]

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).
John Ashby
2018-03-05 20:25:47 UTC
No need (-:. [The TB pilots were named after astronauts; I can't
remember Virgil who.]
Grissom, amusingly, given your current .sig.

2018-03-06 09:28:16 UTC
No need (-:. [The TB pilots were named after astronauts; I can't
remember Virgil who.]
Grissom, amusingly, given your current .sig.
Indeed. They chose the names of five of the original seven Mercury
astronauts. I always thought that Deke Slayton[1] and Wally Schirra got
a bit of a raw deal there.

(Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff is a terrific book about them, btw. The
film was good, but the book is outstanding, IMO.)

[1] In the film Apollo 13, Deke Slayton is called in to try to find a
way of re-configuring the capsule's electrical functions to be able to
cope with the drastically reduced available power. He keeps trying
things and it keeps not working. One of my favourite lines in the film
is when someone tries to harass him into giving an answer and he shouts
in exasperation, "I'm not making this up!" thus routing the
postmodernist nonsense[2] that anyone's reality is equally valid.

[2]Sorry, Bottoms.
2018-03-06 12:49:56 UTC
[...]
Don’t apologise. I just studied. Didn’t agree with it all - but found a
degree of reality in some of the thinking. Much of it is getting
mainstream now e.g., the implosion of boundaries and not just political
ones.
Paul Herber
2018-03-03 13:24:04 UTC
Post by Fred
The week in Westminster has just repeated what appears to be a new cliche.
"There will be clear red water between ..."
That's not water, that's blood.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-03 14:04:32 UTC
In message
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Fred
The week in Westminster has just repeated what appears to be a new cliche.
"There will be clear red water between ..."
That's not water, that's blood.
Rivers of?

The fifth bestselling detail of all time: the Ford Transit. (RT/C4 2015-5-24.)
Nick Odell
2018-03-04 14:48:13 UTC
Post by Fred
The week in Westminster has just repeated what appears to be a new cliche.
"There will be clear red water between ..."
It see,ms to me to be a combination of, " A red line (we will not cross)" and "Clear blue water (between)"
Yebbut: if it's new, can it be a cliche?

2018-03-04 22:49:49 UTC
Post by Fred
The week in Westminster has just repeated what appears to be a new cliche.
"There will be clear red water between ..."
It see,ms to me to be a combination of, " A red line (we will not cross)" and "Clear blue water (between) >
(sending again as first attempt doesn't seem to have arrived)

Yebbut: if it's new, can it be a cliche?