spoiler Friday 10/10 and Sunday 22/10 and the new startrek
Vicky
2017-10-22 21:37:58 UTC
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.

And then there is startrek. Should I add another spoiler?
We watched last Sunday's today and there is finally a m/m couple. The
blonde one is someone I thought was going to be a baddy at first but
he turned out more complicated and mostly good and then right at the
end he and the Dr turned out to be a couple. The scene would have been
romantic but my gripe here was that both are a bit odd looking. Why
did the first m/m c ouple on a starship have to be not conventionally
good-looking and normal looking?

And then there is the woman called Micheal. Her hair is very odd. And
then the fact they killed of the lovely captain in the first episode
and I liked her best and wanted to see more of her, not just as a
hologram.

Vicky
Vicky
2017-10-22 21:40:45 UTC
Post by Vicky
[...]
And another first in this week's spisode, apparently. The first time
someone says "fuck" :)
Vicky
LFS
2017-10-23 05:45:02 UTC
Post by Vicky
And another first in this week's spisode, apparently. The first time
someone says "fuck" :)
Which reminds me to ask umrats for advice. I have been asked to give a
speech at Son's upcoming wedding and I want to tell the story of how,
after many years of conflict with her, he came to realise that his
grandmother was really quite special. I won't bore you with the whole
story but it ended with him saying "My Grandma is so cool - she said fuck!"

Most of the wedding guests will be friends of the couple who won't be at
all shocked by me repeating this and my family won't be. But the bride's
mother - a Texan, who I have yet to meet - is described by Son as "a
real Southern lady" and I don't want to offend her. If I ask Son's
advice it will spoil the effect of the speech on him. I could possibly
ask Future DIL but I don't think we'll get a moment alone before the big
day.

So should I say fuck or "the F word" which is a bit prissy and isn't
what either Son or his grandma actually said?
Laura (emulate St George for email)
BrritSki
Go for it. Those Southern ladies do it too. And say it....
Nick Odell
2017-10-23 07:39:04 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by LFS
[...]
Whatesed. I don't mean this in a Southernist-Racist sort of way but,
unless she's spent a lot of time studying the English she's not going to
know much about what English Gentlefolk do and say. And within my
somewhat limited experience of English Gentlefolk, my impression is that
they say and do it quite a lot.

Nick
Btms
2017-10-23 07:57:26 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by BrritSki
Post by LFS
[...]
The folk to consider are your son and dil. You could follow with widening
of your eyes, open mouth and hand over mouth (for instance) to indicate
there was shock to level grandma. This would enhance the delivery of the
line as unexpected and shocking; at the time, signalling the audience to
laugh. Just a thought.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Vicky
2017-10-23 08:39:48 UTC
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 08:39:04 +0100, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Post by BrritSki
Post by LFS
[...]
I think I'd go for when in doubt, say nowt. You are cool enough to
make a witty speech without that particular story :)
Vicky
Flop
2017-10-23 08:43:54 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
Two outcomes if you say it:

a) She has heard it before and so should not be shocked
b) She has never heard it and doesn't understand it. In which case, no
harm done.

Win-win
--
Flop
General Norman Schwarzkopf was asked if he thought there was room for
OUR job is to arrange the meeting."
Penny
2017-10-23 09:35:34 UTC
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 09:43:54 +0100, Flop <***@flop.knot.me.uk> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Flop
Post by LFS
So should I say fuck or "the F word" which is a bit prissy and isn't
what either Son or his grandma actually said?
a) She has heard it before and so should not be shocked
b) She has never heard it and doesn't understand it. In which case, no
harm done.
Win-win
But in the very unlikely event of b) and since Grandma using the word is
the point of the story, she may then wish to know what it means and why it
had such an effect upon her S-i-L.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Btms
2017-10-23 13:18:58 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by LFS
[...]
Third outcome. She has heard it and cut the speaker and all connected with
out of further contact. 🙂
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Jim Easterbrook
2017-10-23 13:33:19 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by Flop
a) She has heard it before and so should not be shocked
b) She has never heard it and doesn't understand it. In which case, no
harm done.
Win-win
Third outcome. She has heard it and cut the speaker and all connected with
out of further contact. 🙂
Result!
--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-10-23 10:59:20 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Vicky
And another first in this week's spisode, apparently. The first time
someone says "fuck" :)
Which reminds me to ask umrats for advice. I have been asked to give a
speech at Son's upcoming wedding and I want to tell the story of how,
[]
Post by LFS
So should I say fuck or "the F word" which is a bit prissy and isn't
what either Son or his grandma actually said?
Perhaps, pencil in the prissy version, but speak to her as much as
possible _at_ the wedding to try to gauge her reactions - maybe trying
some minor cuss words? (The best would be if some minor mishap occurs
whereat you could be allowed to exclaim, but I don't want to wish
mishaps on you). Surely the couple's mothers will have a lot to talk
about: can you not contact her beforehand (Skype or something)? A reason
must be findable - maybe to ask if she has any allergies if you're
involved in the catering?

_Why_ have you not yet met?

If this power [television] is ever brought to mechanical perfection, there is
little reason, except the desire to be gregarious, that anyone but a few
should go in person to any place of entertainment again. - BBC yearbook 1930
LFS
2017-10-23 11:42:54 UTC
Post by LFS
So should I say fuck or "the F word" which is a bit prissy and isn't
what either Son or his grandma actually said?
Perhaps, pencil in the prissy version, but speak to her as much as
possible _at_ the wedding to try to gauge her reactions - maybe trying
some minor cuss words? (The best would be if some minor mishap occurs
whereat you could be allowed to exclaim, but I don't want to wish
mishaps on you). Surely the couple's mothers will have a lot to talk
about: can you not contact her beforehand (Skype or something)? A reason
must be findable - maybe to ask if she has any allergies if you're
involved in the catering?
_Why_ have you not yet met?
Because she is in Houston and I am in Oxford! I think it would be a
difficult thing to ask her straight out.

But thanks for all the advice, umrats: I've decided that I am
over-thinking this (possibly due to lack of sleep) and will just go with
the flow on the day.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
krw
2017-10-23 13:48:30 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
"Expletive Deleted" is American term of choice I believe.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-10-23 18:36:02 UTC
[]
Post by krw
Post by LFS
So should I say fuck or "the F word" which is a bit prissy and isn't
what either Son or his grandma actually said?
"Expletive Deleted" is American term of choice I believe.
Or borrow something which makes a bleep [or inserts one into the PA, if
one is being used] and use it at the appropriate point (while still
mouthing fuck, for the benefit of any lip-readers).

[May take a little practice.]

Lewis: ... d'you think there's a god?
Morse: ... There are times when I wish to god there was one. (Inspector Morse.)
Chris McMillan
2017-10-23 09:01:34 UTC
Post by Vicky
[...]
Yes, then I can skip over it.

Sincerely Chris
krw
2017-10-23 13:51:42 UTC
Post by Vicky
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like - so even Ed and Emma should not be
doing it.

Pip and Toby are simply loathsome as individuals, or together, so both
should not exist in Ambridge.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
Toodle Pip
krw
2017-10-23 14:36:01 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like - so even Ed and Emma should not be
doing it.
Pip and Toby are simply loathsome as individuals, or together, so both
should not exist in Ambridge.
PDA’s???
Personal Digital Assistant err no that's not right - Public Display of
Affection?
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-10-23 14:47:14 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Mike
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like - so even Ed and Emma should not be
doing it.
Pip and Toby are simply loathsome as individuals, or together, so both
should not exist in Ambridge.
PDA’s???
Personal Digital Assistant err no that's not right - Public Display of
Affection?
Ta Muchly, (hug, kiss on cheek, tweek both ears, runs hand over both
cheeks... oh Sorry KRW, I thought with you dressed like that, that you were
asking for it....
Toodle Pip
Penny
2017-10-23 15:20:33 UTC
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:51:42 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like
Really? Depends how 'decorous' it is perhaps. I liked seeing my parents hug
and kiss, long after I'd grown out of attempting to join in.
Post by krw
so even Ed and Emma should not be doing it.
Well, not in front of the children perhaps but a hug and kiss is fine.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-10-23 18:41:26 UTC
Post by Penny
dust...
[]
Post by Penny
Post by krw
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like
Really? Depends how 'decorous' it is perhaps. I liked seeing my parents hug
and kiss, long after I'd grown out of attempting to join in.
I think I'd agree with that. I like to see a nice hug; a kiss is nice
too, as long as it doesn't look like they're about to eat each other.
Basically, affection, yes; foreplay, not really. (As for my parents, I
think the only time they did was when one of him was a bit drunk - which
was a pity, as he was a huggy person really, just of the generation that
was a bit repressed about such matters.)

Vicky
2017-10-23 16:41:30 UTC
Post by krw
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like - so even Ed and Emma should not be
doing it.
Not grossed out. Ok I think.
Vicky
Btms
2017-10-23 21:40:44 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like - so even Ed and Emma should not be
doing it.
Pip and Toby are simply loathsome as individuals, or together, so both
should not exist in Ambridge.
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Mike
2017-10-24 07:37:09 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like - so even Ed and Emma should not be
doing it.
Pip and Toby are simply loathsome as individuals, or together, so both
should not exist in Ambridge.
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
Toodle Pip
Mike
2017-10-24 07:42:29 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like - so even Ed and Emma should not be
doing it.
Pip and Toby are simply loathsome as individuals, or together, so both
should not exist in Ambridge.
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
Along the lines of: “Oh Lillian (croak).” “Oh Matt (warble).”
Toodle Pip
Btms
2017-10-24 08:03:03 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like - so even Ed and Emma should not be
doing it.
Pip and Toby are simply loathsome as individuals, or together, so both
should not exist in Ambridge.
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
Along the lines of: “Oh Lillian (croak).” “Oh Matt (warble).”
Oh Toodles.

Oh purleese.

Oh didn’t see you there Lynda
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
BrritSki
2017-10-24 08:29:14 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by Mike
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
In the Vicar's bedroom:
Usha "Are you one of those people who believe in... JESUS CHRIST !!!"
Nick Odell

Mike
2017-10-24 16:23:30 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Mike
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
Or....
I know,
I know you know,
I know you know I know,
I know.....
Toodle Pip
steveski
Steveski
Jenny M Benson
2017-10-24 22:57:59 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Mike
Along the lines of: “Oh Lillian (croak).” “Oh Matt (warble).”
Oooh Ron
Oh Eff
Excuse a pedant, but she was Eth - short for Ethel.
Jenny M Benson
Mike
2017-10-25 08:13:45 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Mike
Along the lines of: “Oh Lillian (croak).” “Oh Matt (warble).”
Oooh Ron
Oh Eff
Excuse a pedant, but she was Eth - short for Ethel.
Now now, what have we got going on here then?
Toodle Pip
Nick Odell
2017-10-25 13:03:02 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Mike
Along the lines of: “Oh Lillian (croak).” “Oh Matt (warble).”
Oooh Ron
Oh Eff
Excuse a pedant, but she was Eth - short for Ethel.
Yes, indeed she was. I thought long and hard about this but decided to
go with Eth's pronunciation of "Oooh" and Ron's of "Eff."

Nick
Jenny M Benson
2017-10-26 17:00:56 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Mike
Along the lines of: “Oh Lillian (croak).” “Oh Matt (warble).”
Oooh Ron
Oh Eff
Excuse a pedant, but she was Eth - short for Ethel.
Yes, indeed she was. I thought long and hard about this but decided to
go with Eth's  pronunciation of "Oooh" and Ron's of "Eff."
Oh! Is that how you hear it? I've only ever heard it from Ron as
"Eth." I'll pay special attention next time I get the chance to hear them.
Jenny M Benson
Mike
Toodle Pip
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-10-24 10:45:05 UTC
[]
Post by Mike
Post by Mike
Post by Mike
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
Actually, only one species of frog makes the sound we think of as the
sound of a frog. But, as it's a species that is common around a certain
district of Los Angeles, we've come to think of it as the sound of a
frog ...
Post by Mike
Along the lines of: “Oh Lillian (croak).” “Oh Matt (warble).”
Or waves crashing on a pebbly beach, or a train passing through a tunnel

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")
krw
2017-10-24 10:51:32 UTC
Or waves crashing on a pebbly beach, or a train passing through a tunnel ...
A rocket taking off?
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
steveski
2017-10-24 11:04:59 UTC
Post by krw
Or waves crashing on a pebbly beach, or a train passing through a tunnel ...
A rocket taking off?
A chimney being demolished but projected backwards?
Steveski
Mike
2017-10-24 16:26:27 UTC
Post by steveski
Post by krw
Or waves crashing on a pebbly beach, or a train passing through a tunnel ...
A rocket taking off?
A chimney being demolished but projected backwards?
Are we back to the Viagra Falls?
Toodle Pip
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-10-24 17:23:02 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by steveski
Post by krw
Or waves crashing on a pebbly beach, or a train passing through a tunnel ...
A rocket taking off?
A chimney being demolished but projected backwards?
Are we back to the Viagra Falls?
We know a song about Viagra, don't we children?

[Actually, perhaps _not_ for children (-:!]

I don't like activity holidays. I like /inactivity/ holidays.
- Miriam Margolyes, RT 2017/4/15-21
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-10-24 11:07:58 UTC
Post by krw
Or waves crashing on a pebbly beach, or a train passing through a tunnel ...
A rocket taking off?
Especially that bit of film showing a V2 falling over on takeoff.

"EARTH is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can." - Fortunes file
Btms
2017-10-24 08:03:03 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like - so even Ed and Emma should not be
doing it.
Pip and Toby are simply loathsome as individuals, or together, so both
should not exist in Ambridge.
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
How about silence?
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Vicky
2017-10-24 08:22:08 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like - so even Ed and Emma should not be
doing it.
Pip and Toby are simply loathsome as individuals, or together, so both
should not exist in Ambridge.
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
How about silence?
I think the next editor should be elected by a vote with listeners and
umrats voting and you get my vote.
Vicky
Jenny M Benson
2017-10-24 09:16:20 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
The sound of a Phalacrocorax aristotelis would be more appropriate,
wouldn't it?
Jenny M Benson
Hbunnet
2017-10-24 09:44:30 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Mike
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me.  Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
The sound of a Phalacrocorax aristotelis would be more appropriate,
wouldn't it?
LOL, (after googling)
Hbunnet
Btms
2017-10-24 10:20:41 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Mike
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me.  Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
The sound of a Phalacrocorax aristotelis would be more appropriate,
wouldn't it?
LOL, (after googling)
Me too. Well done.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Mike
Toodle Pip
Nick Odell

J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-10-24 10:41:27 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
The sound of a Phalacrocorax aristotelis would be more appropriate,
wouldn't it?
Not to be confused - despite a popular poem on the subject - with the
Phalacrocorax carbo.

(Actually, I doubt most people would recognise the sound of either.)

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")
Penny
2017-10-24 13:28:08 UTC
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 11:41:27 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
The sound of a Phalacrocorax aristotelis would be more appropriate,
wouldn't it?
Not to be confused - despite a popular poem on the subject - with the
Phalacrocorax carbo.
(Actually, I doubt most people would recognise the sound of either.)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sbyh9
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b020tr6m
or even
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mlvyx
Penny
2017-10-24 13:44:12 UTC
On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 14:28:08 +0100, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(Actually, I doubt most people would recognise the sound of either.)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sbyh9
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b020tr6m
or even
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mlvyx
The first one (aristotelis) does sound suitably like bed springs :)
I couldn't get the third one to play for more than 12 seconds.
Sid Nuncius
2017-10-26 06:33:25 UTC
Post by Penny
Post by Penny
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sbyh9
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b020tr6m
or even
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mlvyx
The first one (aristotelis) does sound suitably like bed springs :)
I couldn't get the third one to play for more than 12 seconds.
Oh dear. Did you offer insincere reassurances that it didn't matter and
that it's quite common?
Jenny M Benson
Jenny M Benson
Mike
2017-10-24 16:25:09 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
The sound of a Phalacrocorax aristotelis would be more appropriate,
wouldn't it?
Not to be confused - despite a popular poem on the subject - with the
Phalacrocorax carbo.
(Actually, I doubt most people would recognise the sound of either.)
Probably not.... unless they did a tern at the music hall....
Toodle Pip
John Ashby
2017-10-24 18:30:22 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
Am I just a grumpy old woman and am I AOU in finding the smooch scenes
with Toby and Pip and those with Lilian and whoever equally repulsive?
I'm trying to think whose smooching I would think romantic and lovely.
Usha and the vicar maybe. Ed and Emma. Does it depend who I like? I'm
not sure.
How do you feel about PDAs in real life? Typically most people are not
keen on seeing parents and the like - so even Ed and Emma should not be
doing it.
Pip and Toby are simply loathsome as individuals, or together, so both
should not exist in Ambridge.
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
How about the sound of a nightingale, or maybe a frog?
And they both sat down together, love,
To hear the nightingale sing.

See also Boccaccio's Decameron, Fifth day, fourth tale.

john
Btms
2017-10-24 18:35:35 UTC
Post by John Ashby
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
More familiar with C’bury Tales. 🤗
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
John Ashby
2017-10-24 18:42:08 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by John Ashby
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
Read them, you'll recognise several.

john
Btms
2017-10-24 19:17:16 UTC
Post by John Ashby
Post by Btms
Post by John Ashby
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
I think I knew that 😉
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Fenny
2017-10-24 18:02:00 UTC
Post by Btms
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
Apparently, the noise the veloceraptors in Jurassic Park made was the
sound of tortoises [1] mating.

[1] Or possibly turtles, as the guy who recorded them reckoned he was
at a sea life centre.
Fenny
steveski
2017-10-24 22:35:13 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Btms
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
Apparently, the noise the veloceraptors in Jurassic Park made was the
sound of tortoises [1] mating.
[1] Or possibly turtles, as the guy who recorded them reckoned he was at
a sea life centre.
It's true - I heard that factoid on the rajo a few days ago - can't, for
the life of me, remember where.
Steveski
Fenny
2017-10-24 22:55:43 UTC
Post by steveski
Post by Fenny
Apparently, the noise the veloceraptors in Jurassic Park made was the
sound of tortoises [1] mating.
[1] Or possibly turtles, as the guy who recorded them reckoned he was at
a sea life centre.
It's true - I heard that factoid on the rajo a few days ago - can't, for
the life of me, remember where.
Probably Monday's Toady. Definitely not BH on Sunday, as I was up and
putting on going to work clobber whilst listening to it.
Fenny
Penny
2017-10-25 08:17:08 UTC
On 24 Oct 2017 22:35:13 GMT, steveski <***@invalid.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by steveski
Post by Fenny
Post by Btms
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
Apparently, the noise the veloceraptors in Jurassic Park made was the
sound of tortoises [1] mating.
[1] Or possibly turtles, as the guy who recorded them reckoned he was at
a sea life centre.
It's true - I heard that factoid on the rajo a few days ago - can't, for
the life of me, remember where.
'Would I lie to you?' - I think I'd heard it on QI at some point too. Some
things they agree on ;)
Jenny M Benson
2017-10-25 08:49:39 UTC
Post by Penny
Post by steveski
Post by Fenny
Post by Btms
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
Apparently, the noise the veloceraptors in Jurassic Park made was the
sound of tortoises [1] mating.
[1] Or possibly turtles, as the guy who recorded them reckoned he was at
a sea life centre.
It's true - I heard that factoid on the rajo a few days ago - can't, for
the life of me, remember where.
'Would I lie to you?' - I think I'd heard it on QI at some point too. Some
things they agree on;)
Definitely not Toady as I never listen, but also heard the factoid
recently. Not Lie because I haven't watched that for yonks. Possibly a
repeat of QI.
Jenny M Benson
Penny
2017-10-25 11:51:21 UTC
On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 09:49:39 +0100, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Penny
Post by steveski
Post by Fenny
Post by Btms
Its the fashion for squelchy sfx that gets to me. Can McT sabotage or
create something more acceptable?
Apparently, the noise the veloceraptors in Jurassic Park made was the
sound of tortoises [1] mating.
[1] Or possibly turtles, as the guy who recorded them reckoned he was at
a sea life centre.
It's true - I heard that factoid on the rajo a few days ago - can't, for
the life of me, remember where.
'Would I lie to you?' - I think I'd heard it on QI at some point too. Some
things they agree on;)
Definitely not Toady as I never listen, but also heard the factoid
recently. Not Lie because I haven't watched that for yonks. Possibly a
repeat of QI.
Sorry, I meant 'The unbelievable truth' - I blame the ubiquitous David
Mitchell.
Jenny M Benson
2017-10-25 15:23:28 UTC
Post by Penny
Sorry, I meant 'The unbelievable truth' - I blame the ubiquitous David
Mitchell.
Ah yes! No you mention it I think that was where I heard it.
Jenny M Benson
steveski
2017-10-25 15:49:33 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Penny
Sorry, I meant 'The unbelievable truth' - I blame the ubiquitous David
Mitchell.
Ah yes! No you mention it I think that was where I heard it.
Yes. I *thought* it was the rajo but I didn't know about the QI
connection.
Steveski
Fenny
2017-10-25 20:07:29 UTC
Post by Penny
Post by Jenny M Benson
Definitely not Toady as I never listen, but also heard the factoid
recently. Not Lie because I haven't watched that for yonks. Possibly a
repeat of QI.
Sorry, I meant 'The unbelievable truth' - I blame the ubiquitous David
Mitchell.
Ah, yes, that would have been it. Sunday lunchtime.

It couldn't have been QI, as I don't watch any BBC output.
--
Fenny