Idea for Helen from Countryfile
2018-07-06 20:35:00 UTC
I can't remember if I've, or anyone else has, suggested this, but
Countryfile showed a farm where they let people who needed help,
mental health issues or depression or lonely or elderly, come and
help, garden, hang out etc. And also kids with disabilities.

I wonder whether Helen could organise things like this. Also maybe
courses for groups from schools and colleges on cheese or yogurt
making. Maybe that would get Haley back with Vicky and Umbrella to
run the courses and go on one. Kathy could provide advice on design of
stuff for schools.

They could have bus loads from The Hollies to do gentle gardening.
Make it a community hub, Pat might want to bring people from where
she volunteers, if she is not too put off after her experiences with
Umbrella.

This could bring in teachers or social workers or carers who could
become partners for some of the Ambridge singles. The various groups
would be good for Fallon and Emma's teashop too.
Btms
2018-07-07 06:18:54 UTC
Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't remember if I've, or anyone else has, suggested this, but
> Countryfile showed a farm where they let people who needed help,
> mental health issues or depression or lonely or elderly, come and
> help, garden, hang out etc. And also kids with disabilities.
>
> I wonder whether Helen could organise things like this. Also maybe
> courses for groups from schools and colleges on cheese or yogurt
> making. Maybe that would get Haley back with Vicky and Umbrella to
> run the courses and go on one. Kathy could provide advice on design of
> stuff for schools.
>
> They could have bus loads from The Hollies to do gentle gardening.
> Make it a community hub, Pat might want to bring people from where
> she volunteers, if she is not too put off after her experiences with
> Umbrella.
>
> This could bring in teachers or social workers or carers who could
> become partners for some of the Ambridge singles. The various groups
> would be good for Fallon and Emma's teashop too.

Too many new voices? Too many actors for the budget?

2018-07-07 10:56:59 UTC
In message
<1576317361.552637070.999644.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
org>, Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
>Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't remember if I've, or anyone else has, suggested this, but
>> Countryfile showed a farm where they let people who needed help,
>> mental health issues or depression or lonely or elderly, come and
>> help, garden, hang out etc. And also kids with disabilities.

I don't think this sort of thing is ever a source of cheap labour - you
need carers/supervisors. If you're thinking of it as something that
they'd _like_ to do, given their principles, it _could_ be something to
consider - but, even in Ambridge, the matter of how it would be funded
would need at least a cursory glance - and also, there is the question
of accommodation; both the patients (or whatever term you wish) and
their support staff would need somewhere. Unless they were bussed in and
out daily, which I think is not on for a several-day stint - and I don't
think this sort of thing would be effective for a one-day activity: I
think it would be _more_ disruptive to the bewildered if only done once.

>> I wonder whether Helen could organise things like this. Also maybe
>> courses for groups from schools and colleges on cheese or yogurt

Again, by the time you include the costs of the supervisors and other
admin. staff, I don't think many charities have the resources to support
such activities. Possible candidates might include parties from
expensive fee-paying schools, but I don't think that would gel with the
Bridge Farm ethos (and there's still the question of accommodation).
[]
>Too many new voices? Too many actors for the budget?

Good points.

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations...
Btms
2018-07-07 11:11:49 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <1576317361.552637070.999644.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
>> , Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
>> Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I can't remember if I've, or anyone else has, suggested this, but
>>> Countryfile showed a farm where they let people who needed help,
>>> mental health issues or depression or lonely or elderly, come and
>>> help, garden, hang out etc. And also kids with disabilities.
>
> I don't think this sort of thing is ever a source of cheap labour - you
> need carers/supervisors. If you're thinking of it as something that
> they'd _like_ to do, given their principles, it _could_ be something to
> consider - but, even in Ambridge, the matter of how it would be funded
> would need at least a cursory glance - and also, there is the question
> of accommodation; both the patients (or whatever term you wish) and
> their support staff would need somewhere. Unless they were bussed in and
> out daily, which I think is not on for a several-day stint - and I don't
> think this sort of thing would be effective for a one-day activity: I
> think it would be _more_ disruptive to the bewildered if only done once.
>>>
>>> I wonder whether Helen could organise things like this. Also maybe
>>> courses for groups from schools and colleges on cheese or yogurt
>
> Again, by the time you include the costs of the supervisors and other
> admin. staff, I don't think many charities have the resources to support
> such activities. Possible candidates might include parties from
> expensive fee-paying schools, but I don't think that would gel with the
> Bridge Farm ethos (and there's still the question of accommodation).
> []

None of the above should be attributed to me.

2018-07-07 12:24:16 UTC
In message
<1807616935.552654572.220789.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
org>, Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
>J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:

**
>> In message
>> <1576317361.552637070.999644.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
>>> , Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
**

>> I don't think this sort of thing is ever a source of cheap labour - you
>> need carers/supervisors. If you're thinking of it as something that
>> they'd _like_ to do, given their principles, it _could_ be something to
>> consider - but, even in Ambridge, the matter of how it would be funded
>> would need at least a cursory glance - and also, there is the question
>> of accommodation; both the patients (or whatever term you wish) and
>> their support staff would need somewhere. Unless they were bussed in and
>> out daily, which I think is not on for a several-day stint - and I don't
>> think this sort of thing would be effective for a one-day activity: I
>> think it would be _more_ disruptive to the bewildered if only done once.

>> Again, by the time you include the costs of the supervisors and other
>> admin. staff, I don't think many charities have the resources to support
>> such activities. Possible candidates might include parties from
>> expensive fee-paying schools, but I don't think that would gel with the
>> Bridge Farm ethos (and there's still the question of accommodation).
>> []
>
>None of the above should be attributed to me.

Sorry; I'm usually fairly careful. I can see that the bits - with four
">"s in _this_ post - to which I was replying, came from Vicky.

>>> Too many new voices? Too many actors for the budget?

I _think_ you added that line; if not, I'm not sure who did.

>[]
>
>> Good points.

3

"Grammar is there to help, not hinder."
-- Mark Wallace, APIHNA, 2nd December 2000 (quoted by John Flynn 2000-12-6)
Btms
2018-07-07 18:02:49 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <1807616935.552654572.220789.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
>> , Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
> **
>>> In message
>>> <1576317361.552637070.999644.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
> **

>>> I don't think this sort of thing is ever a source of cheap labour - you
>>> need carers/supervisors. If you're thinking of it as something that
>>> they'd _like_ to do, given their principles, it _could_ be something to
>>> consider - but, even in Ambridge, the matter of how it would be funded
>>> would need at least a cursory glance - and also, there is the question
>>> of accommodation; both the patients (or whatever term you wish) and
>>> their support staff would need somewhere. Unless they were bussed in and
>>> out daily, which I think is not on for a several-day stint - and I don't
>>> think this sort of thing would be effective for a one-day activity: I
>>> think it would be _more_ disruptive to the bewildered if only done once.

>>> Again, by the time you include the costs of the supervisors and other
>>> admin. staff, I don't think many charities have the resources to support
>>> such activities. Possible candidates might include parties from
>>> expensive fee-paying schools, but I don't think that would gel with the
>>> Bridge Farm ethos (and there's still the question of accommodation).
>>> []
>>
>> None of the above should be attributed to me.
>>
> Sorry; I'm usually fairly careful. I can see that the bits - with four
> ">"s in _this_ post - to which I was replying, came from Vicky.

> I _think_ you added that line; if not, I'm not sure who did.
>
>> []
>>
>>> Good points.
>>

> 3

I did. It is below not above the bits I didn’t write.

2018-07-07 18:42:40 UTC
In message
<166672436.552678896.721644.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.o
rg>, Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
>J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:

##
>> In message
>> <1807616935.552654572.220789.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
>>> , Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
##

>>> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>> **
>> **

>>> None of the above should be attributed to me.
>>>
>> Sorry; I'm usually fairly careful. I can see that the bits - with four
>> ">"s in _this_ post - to which I was replying, came from Vicky.

>> I _think_ you added that line; if not, I'm not sure who did.
>>
>>> []

>> 3
>
>I did. It is below not above the bits I didn’t write.

I don't usually rearrange the order of posts I quote. I try quite hard
to not delete attribution lines, so that anyone who cares can figure out
who said what by counting ">"s - the text goes with the one-fewer->s
line. So, for example, in this iteration, in
--
--
It can be deduced that the lines with six >s were written by Vicky (the
"wrote" line with five >s).

I _think_ I see what has happened. In one of the
"in <message ID xyz>, BTMS <poppy> writes" lines (the one I've put ##
round - as well, actually, as the one I put ** round earlier), the ">"
on the end of the message ID has gone onto the next line so it reads

"in <message iD xyz
>, BTMS writes"

and by the time a few extra ">"s have been added, it _looked_ as if the
wrong attribution was being made.

"EARTH is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can." - Fortunes file
Chris McMillan
2018-07-07 17:42:22 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <1576317361.552637070.999644.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
>> , Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
>> Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I can't remember if I've, or anyone else has, suggested this, but
>>> Countryfile showed a farm where they let people who needed help,
>>> mental health issues or depression or lonely or elderly, come and
>>> help, garden, hang out etc. And also kids with disabilities.
>
> I don't think this sort of thing is ever a source of cheap labour - you
> need carers/supervisors. If you're thinking of it as something that
> they'd _like_ to do, given their principles, it _could_ be something to
> consider - but, even in Ambridge, the matter of how it would be funded
> would need at least a cursory glance - and also, there is the question
> of accommodation; both the patients (or whatever term you wish) and
> their support staff would need somewhere. Unless they were bussed in and
> out daily, which I think is not on for a several-day stint - and I don't
> think this sort of thing would be effective for a one-day activity: I
> think it would be _more_ disruptive to the bewildered if only done once.
>>>
>>> I wonder whether Helen could organise things like this. Also maybe
>>> courses for groups from schools and colleges on cheese or yogurt
>
> Again, by the time you include the costs of the supervisors and other
> admin. staff, I don't think many charities have the resources to support
> such activities. Possible candidates might include parties from
> expensive fee-paying schools, but I don't think that would gel with the
> Bridge Farm ethos (and there's still the question of accommodation).
> []
>> Too many new voices? Too many actors for the budget?
>>
> Good points.

Could work the same way as presumably the LL runs its park etc?

2018-07-07 18:02:50 UTC
Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message
>> <1576317361.552637070.999644.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
>>> , Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
>>
>> I don't think this sort of thing is ever a source of cheap labour - you
>> need carers/supervisors. If you're thinking of it as something that
>> they'd _like_ to do, given their principles, it _could_ be something to
>> consider - but, even in Ambridge, the matter of how it would be funded
>> would need at least a cursory glance - and also, there is the question
>> of accommodation; both the patients (or whatever term you wish) and
>> their support staff would need somewhere. Unless they were bussed in and
>> out daily, which I think is not on for a several-day stint - and I don't
>> think this sort of thing would be effective for a one-day activity: I
>> think it would be _more_ disruptive to the bewildered if only done once.

>> Again, by the time you include the costs of the supervisors and other
>> admin. staff, I don't think many charities have the resources to support
>> such activities. Possible candidates might include parties from
>> expensive fee-paying schools, but I don't think that would gel with the
>> Bridge Farm ethos (and there's still the question of accommodation).
>> []
>>> Too many new voices? Too many actors for the budget?
>>>
>> Good points.
>
> Could work the same way as presumably the LL runs its park etc?
>
> Sincerely Chris

It could but I don’t think it would be of much interest to the audience.

2018-07-08 13:10:03 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
> Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> In message
>>> <1576317361.552637070.999644.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.
>>>
>>> I don't think this sort of thing is ever a source of cheap labour - you
>>> need carers/supervisors. If you're thinking of it as something that
>>> they'd _like_ to do, given their principles, it _could_ be something to
>>> consider - but, even in Ambridge, the matter of how it would be funded
>>> would need at least a cursory glance - and also, there is the question
>>> of accommodation; both the patients (or whatever term you wish) and
>>> their support staff would need somewhere. Unless they were bussed in and
>>> out daily, which I think is not on for a several-day stint - and I don't
>>> think this sort of thing would be effective for a one-day activity: I
>>> think it would be _more_ disruptive to the bewildered if only done once.

>>> Again, by the time you include the costs of the supervisors and other
>>> admin. staff, I don't think many charities have the resources to support
>>> such activities. Possible candidates might include parties from
>>> expensive fee-paying schools, but I don't think that would gel with the
>>> Bridge Farm ethos (and there's still the question of accommodation).
>>> []
>>>>
>>> Good points.
>>
>> Could work the same way as presumably the LL runs its park etc?
>>
>> Sincerely Chris
>>

> It could but I don’t think it would be of much interest to the audience.

It worked with minimal extra voices with Jessica the hawker as an example.
Also the Titcombes.

2018-07-08 13:58:18 UTC
Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
>> Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> Could work the same way as presumably the LL runs its park etc?
>>>
>>> Sincerely Chris
>>>

>> It could but I don’t think it would be of much interest to the audience.
>>

> It worked with minimal extra voices with Jessica the hawker as an example.
> Also the Titcombes.
>
> Sincerely Chris

The Boson Particle did the same....

2018-07-08 16:02:33 UTC
On 8/7/18 14:10, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
> It worked with minimal extra voices with Jessica the hawker as an example.
> Also the Titcombes.

Did Jessica ever speak? Apparently she is still around after all these
years but we have not had the Titcombes mentioned for a long time.

And what about all the therapists employed at Spiritual Homeless? Never
heard from any of them.

2018-07-07 15:17:26 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
> Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't remember if I've, or anyone else has, suggested this, but
>> Countryfile showed a farm where they let people who needed help,
>> mental health issues or depression or lonely or elderly, come and
>> help, garden, hang out etc. And also kids with disabilities.
>>
>> I wonder whether Helen could organise things like this. Also maybe
>> courses for groups from schools and colleges on cheese or yogurt
>> making. Maybe that would get Haley back with Vicky and Umbrella to
>> run the courses and go on one. Kathy could provide advice on design of
>> stuff for schools.
>>
>> They could have bus loads from The Hollies to do gentle gardening.
>> Make it a community hub, Pat might want to bring people from where
>> she volunteers, if she is not too put off after her experiences with
>> Umbrella.
>>
>> This could bring in teachers or social workers or carers who could
>> become partners for some of the Ambridge singles. The various groups
>> would be good for Fallon and Emma's teashop too.
>>

> Too many new voices? Too many actors for the budget?

It can be done as it is at the moment, no new speakers at all.

2018-07-07 08:19:47 UTC
On 06/07/2018 21:35, Vicky Ayech wrote:

> They could have bus loads from The Hollies to do gentle gardening.

Under my umbrella?

2018-07-07 09:44:08 UTC
Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 06/07/2018 21:35, Vicky Ayech wrote:
>
>> They could have bus loads from The Hollies to do gentle gardening.
>
> Under my umbrella?

And their secon album was ?

2018-07-07 10:13:56 UTC
On 07/07/2018 10:44, Mike wrote:
> Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 06/07/2018 21:35, Vicky Ayech wrote:
>>
>>> They could have bus loads from The Hollies to do gentle gardening.
>>
>> Under my umbrella?
>
> And their secon album was ?

No, it was their fourth.

2018-07-08 16:03:27 UTC
On 6/7/18 21:35, Vicky Ayech wrote; my response is lower down:
> They could have bus loads from The Hollies to do gentle gardening.

Resting on your Laurels are you?

2018-07-08 17:19:53 UTC
On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 17:03:27 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 6/7/18 21:35, Vicky Ayech wrote; my response is lower down:
>> They could have bus loads from The Hollies to do gentle gardening.
>
>Resting on your Laurels are you?

Is it Laurels? :)

To the responses that said you need accommodation for groups, I just
meant local groups who do half day trips or day trips and eat at the
cafe.