Cherries in Ambridge
2017-09-07 13:00:10 UTC
Lexi mentioned there being no cherries left to pick the other day. Setting
aside the fact the UK cherry season generally finishes in July, I don't
believe we have ever heard of a cherry orchard at Home Farm. Cherry
orchards are fairly rare in the UK these days - a grant was paid for
grubbing them out in the '80s and Kent lost loads at that time.

Those few I'm aware of which still exist in North Kent are managed in the
old way - the fruit is sold on the tree and a travelling family will arrive
to live in the orchard (the sheep having been shifted out to other
pastures), picking and marketing, including field gate sales. Our village
school (and the Youth Club) used to have such transient pupils/members
returning year after year for a few weeks.

Bring back the archivist!
2017-09-07 13:26:28 UTC
Lexi mentioned there being no cherries left to pick the other day. Setting
aside the fact the UK cherry season generally finishes in July, I don't
believe we have ever heard of a cherry orchard at Home Farm. Cherry
orchards are fairly rare in the UK these days - a grant was paid for
grubbing them out in the '80s and Kent lost loads at that time.
Those few I'm aware of which still exist in North Kent are managed in the
old way - the fruit is sold on the tree and a travelling family will arrive
to live in the orchard (the sheep having been shifted out to other
pastures), picking and marketing, including field gate sales. Our village
school (and the Youth Club) used to have such transient pupils/members
returning year after year for a few weeks.
Bring back the archivist!
I believe Mr. Checkov keeps a well established one-;)
Set phasers to stun !
Btms
2017-09-08 06:25:33 UTC
Lexi mentioned there being no cherries left to pick the other day. Setting
aside the fact the UK cherry season generally finishes in July, I don't
believe we have ever heard of a cherry orchard at Home Farm. Cherry
orchards are fairly rare in the UK these days - a grant was paid for
grubbing them out in the '80s and Kent lost loads at that time.
Those few I'm aware of which still exist in North Kent are managed in the
old way - the fruit is sold on the tree and a travelling family will arrive
to live in the orchard (the sheep having been shifted out to other
pastures), picking and marketing, including field gate sales. Our village
school (and the Youth Club) used to have such transient pupils/members
returning year after year for a few weeks.
Bring back the archivist!
I believe Mr. Checkov keeps a well established one-;)
I think you will find that one was on its last legs too.
2017-09-08 09:40:56 UTC
[...]
You can't afford to cherry pick you know!
2017-09-07 21:57:58 UTC
Lexi mentioned there being no cherries left to pick the other day. Setting
aside the fact the UK cherry season generally finishes in July, I don't
believe we have ever heard of a cherry orchard at Home Farm.
I heard this and thought much the same. We know that Home Farm always
had strawberries, but what other fruit have they silently added to the
pickers' duties?
Marjorie
2017-09-08 14:35:20 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Penny
Lexi mentioned there being no cherries left to pick the other day. Setting
aside the fact the UK cherry season generally finishes in July, I don't
believe we have ever heard of a cherry orchard at Home Farm.
I heard this and thought much the same. We know that Home Farm always
had strawberries, but what other fruit have they silently added to the
pickers' duties?
I thought it was the end of the strawberry season that Lexi remarked on.
This is hardly surprising in September - the surprising thing is that
they've had enough strawberries through August to require a whole army
of pickers.
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
Btms
2017-09-08 16:19:47 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Fenny
Post by Penny
Lexi mentioned there being no cherries left to pick the other day. Setting
aside the fact the UK cherry season generally finishes in July, I don't
believe we have ever heard of a cherry orchard at Home Farm.
I heard this and thought much the same. We know that Home Farm always
had strawberries, but what other fruit have they silently added to the
pickers' duties?
I thought it was the end of the strawberry season that Lexi remarked on.
This is hardly surprising in September - the surprising thing is that
they've had enough strawberries through August to require a whole army
of pickers.
I thought it was a comment from Pat about farm shop stock? Bimbam
I listened this morning. It was definitely strawberries.
Fenny
2017-09-08 17:30:05 UTC
On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 19:13:01 +0200, BrritSki
Post by BrritSki
Post by Marjorie
Post by Penny
Lexi mentioned there being no cherries left to pick the other day. Setting
aside the fact the UK cherry season generally finishes in July, I don't
believe we have ever heard of a cherry orchard at Home Farm.
I heard this and thought much the same.  We know that Home Farm always
had strawberries, but what other fruit have they silently added to the
pickers' duties?
I thought it was the end of the strawberry season that Lexi remarked on.
I listened this morning. It was definitely strawberries.
There was a comment previously about cherries. Very definitely. I
noticed it because I like cherries and there has never been any
mention of cherries before at Home Farm, only strawberries. Cherry
trees would take some years to mature enough to produce a decent crop.
2017-09-08 17:32:40 UTC
On Fri, 08 Sep 2017 18:30:05 +0100, Fenny <***@removethis.onetel.net>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by BrritSki
Post by Marjorie
Post by Penny
Lexi mentioned there being no cherries left to pick the other day. Setting
aside the fact the UK cherry season generally finishes in July, I don't
believe we have ever heard of a cherry orchard at Home Farm.
I heard this and thought much the same.  We know that Home Farm always
had strawberries, but what other fruit have they silently added to the
pickers' duties?
I thought it was the end of the strawberry season that Lexi remarked on.
I listened this morning. It was definitely strawberries.
There was a comment previously about cherries. Very definitely. I
noticed it because I like cherries and there has never been any
mention of cherries before at Home Farm, only strawberries. Cherry
trees would take some years to mature enough to produce a decent crop.
I think was in conversation with Roy, during their walk, when he said she'd
be going home soon.
Lexi leaving her cherry behind perhaps ?
Jim Easterbrook
2017-09-09 10:25:09 UTC
Lexi leaving her cherry behind perhaps ?
Did someone say cherry behind?
https://flic.kr/p/o3S6QJ
2017-09-09 10:48:10 UTC
:)
rosieT
2017-09-09 12:02:06 UTC
I remember Adam introducing cherries when he expanded the soft fruits, and seemed to think the trees would bear fruit the year after planting. They must have fruited by now!