Concert etiquette
2017-07-02 22:19:46 UTC
Can someone help me please?

Last night I attended a concert being given Ms Gladys Knight and if
anyone else is going to see her it is definitely worth it and she is
fine form.

Now with classical concerts it is certainly the case that one does not
talk during the performance. I also accept that with performers such as
Ms Knight it is not uncommon for the audience to sing along with the
better known pieces, especially with choruses as they come along.

Is it also acceptable for a couple to talk throughout a performance? I
understand that in the open air people are coming and going and talking
and not always listening that closely.

But when the performer is 73 surely she deserves one's attention and one
does not want mumbling from the row behind, a phone going off and moving
around during the performance?

I cast some looks in the direction of the couple and when I asked them
to stop it was called a twat and told to stop clapping as that meant the
performance could not be heard.

I then complained to staff at the concert hall who decided the solution
was to ask me to move! Why? Surely the couple should be spoken to?

Or am I too old for such modern concerts?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Peter Percival
2017-07-02 23:46:19 UTC
Can someone help me please?
Yes mate. Three Choirs Festival at Worcester in three weeks time, so
book yer tickets now.
to me what you really mean.
2017-07-03 08:29:05 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by krw
Can someone help me please?
Yes mate. Three Choirs Festival at Worcester in three weeks time, so
book yer tickets now.
I shall be sur le contingong.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Vicky
2017-07-03 08:26:18 UTC
[...]
The last thing I went to was Fascinating Aida, which was in Radlett
Synagogue hall, and people listened. Before that the Cambridge
Festival and again they listened adoringly to Kristoffersen. Years
ago I saw Dylan, The Highwaymen, Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash and can't
recall people not listening, but when I was 16 I saw Cliff Richard in
Finsbury Pk and forgot my glasses so was unable to see him, and the
screaming was so loud I couldn't hear him either.
2017-07-03 17:01:31 UTC
Post by Vicky
The last thing I went to was Fascinating Aida, which was in Radlett
Synagogue hall, and people listened. Before that the Cambridge
Festival and again they listened adoringly to Kristoffersen. Years
ago I saw Dylan, The Highwaymen, Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash and can't
recall people not listening, but when I was 16 I saw Cliff Richard in
Finsbury Pk and forgot my glasses so was unable to see him, and the
screaming was so loud I couldn't hear him either.
I went to War of the Worlds at the Echo Arena (Liverpuddle) a few years
ago and a chap sitting just behind me sang along to most of the songs.
Grrr!
2017-07-03 19:59:30 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by krw
Can someone help me please?
Last night I attended a concert being given Ms Gladys Knight and if
[]
Post by Vicky
Post by krw
Is it also acceptable for a couple to talk throughout a performance? I
Sounds like it really gave you the pip(s) ...
[]
Post by Vicky
Post by krw
I then complained to staff at the concert hall who decided the solution
was to ask me to move! Why? Surely the couple should be spoken to?
Yes, I'd have thought so.
Post by Vicky
Post by krw
Or am I too old for such modern concerts?
The last thing I went to was Fascinating Aida, which was in Radlett
Synagogue hall, and people listened. Before that the Cambridge
Ah, but for FA, unless you know all the songs, you _need_ to listen.

Science fiction is escape into reality - Arthur C Clarke
Peter Percival
2017-07-04 10:19:54 UTC
Post by Vicky
The last thing I went to was Fascinating Aida, which was in Radlett
Synagogue hall, and people listened. Before that the Cambridge
Ah, but for FA, unless you know all the songs, you _need_ to listen.
In Radlett, they'll thump you if you don't.

I think that George Harrison bought a house nearby.
to me what you really mean.
2017-07-04 18:46:51 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
The last thing I went to was Fascinating Aida, which was in Radlett
Synagogue hall, and people listened. Before that the Cambridge
Ah, but for FA, unless you know all the songs, you _need_ to listen.
In Radlett, they'll thump you if you don't.
I think that George Harrison bought a house nearby.
Was that just general information, or was there some connection between
the two (the rightful belligerence of Radlettians and George Harrison's
purchase) that I have missed?

"The wish of the lazy to allow unsupervised access [to the internet] to their
children should not reduce all adults browsing to the level of suitability for a
five-year-old." Yaman Akdeniz, quoted in Inter//face (The Times, 1999-2-10): p12
Peter Percival
2017-07-04 22:12:23 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
The last thing I went to was Fascinating Aida, which was in
Radlett Synagogue hall, and people listened. Before that the
Cambridge
Ah, but for FA, unless you know all the songs, you _need_ to
listen.
In Radlett, they'll thump you if you don't.
I think that George Harrison bought a house nearby.
Was that just general information, or was there some connection
between the two (the rightful belligerence of Radlettians and George
Harrison's purchase) that I have missed?
Um... I think it's just random words. The usual thing.
to me what you really mean.