After Dick Barton
Add Reply
m***@gmail.com
2018-05-08 14:09:36 UTC
I am an 82 yr old lady (who obviously keeps up with Technology) and have often had this dispute about which programme followed Dick Barton and I have always maintained it was the Daring Dexter’s, which was about a circus family and I listened to as a young girl and enjoyed , I am Happy to be vindicated.
krw
2018-05-08 14:33:35 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I am an 82 yr old lady (who obviously keeps up with Technology) and have often had this dispute about which programme followed Dick Barton and I have always maintained it was the Daring Dexter’s, which was about a circus family and I listened to as a young girl and enjoyed , I am Happy to be vindicated.
Wikipedia says both were broadcast for a while and the Dick Barton slot
was taken by The Archers when the former was cancelled:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Barton#Cancellation

This says otherwise:
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/oct/09/from-dick-barton-to-the-archers-via-the-daring-dexters
without any details.

As does this:
http://tonycunnane.uk/page-122.html

The truth?
The Daring Dexters : A daily serial replaced Dick Barton after the first
series ended from 2 June 1947. This thriller serial of the circus
featured Granville Eves as Dan Dexter, ex-high-wire performer and boss
of Dexter's Grand Circus. Bill, his son, was played by James Viccars,
and Sherry, his wire-walking daughter, by Olive Kirby. Beppo, the
philosophical white-faced clown, was Franklyn Bellamy, and Tangey, the
red-headed he-man Edward Percival. There was also a character called Old
Meg who worked at the Pay Desk, a malevolent, vicious old woman whose
sole aim was to set family members against each other and who eventually
resorted to violence at least once to get her way - cutting the trapeze
ropes! Comedy relief came from the Augustes, Tony (Charles Lamb) and
Gump (John Sharpe).
Frederick Allen announced. Raymond Raikes produced and Goeffrey Webb
wrote the script.
There was an omnibus version every Sunday morning until the series ended
on 3 October and the second series of Dick Barton began.

Taken from:
http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/radio/dickbarton.htm

So The Dexters were a fill in when Dick Barton was off air but before it
was cancelled allowing TA to occupy the 18:45 slot.
the Omrud
2018-05-08 14:57:20 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I am an 82 yr old lady (who obviously keeps up with Technology) and have often had this dispute about which programme followed Dick Barton and I have always maintained it was the Daring Dexter’s, which was about a circus family and I listened to as a young girl and enjoyed , I am Happy to be vindicated.
BBC Genome is your friend.

30/03/1951: Dick Barton final episode
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/light/1951-03-30 at 18:15

The Archers seems to have started in January 1951, but at 11:45. After
Dick Barton finished, it switched to 18:45.

The Daring Dexters seems to have been much earlier:
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/41b49fa4206c4c1c87d0009fdf99f214
David
Sid Nuncius
2018-05-08 17:36:36 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I am an 82 yr old lady (who obviously keeps up with Technology) and have often had this dispute about which programme followed Dick Barton and I have always maintained it was the Daring Dexter’s, which was about a circus family and I listened to as a young girl and enjoyed , I am Happy to be vindicated.
Welcome to umra, Mary! Do hang around now you're here.
2018-05-09 01:43:04 UTC
In message
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by m***@gmail.com
I am an 82 yr old lady (who obviously keeps up with Technology) and
have often had this dispute about which programme followed Dick Barton
and I have always maintained it was the Daring Dexter’s, which was about
a circus family and I listened to as a young girl and enjoyed , I am
Happy to be vindicated.
Welcome to umra, Mary! Do hang around now you're here.
And me. ?
And [from] me.

Just a tip: never crosspost between UMRA and other 'groups. Before
anotherrat (UMRA posters are called UMRAts, and you'll find words like
somerat, anotherrat, and so on) posted what appears to be the canonical
answer to your question (the Daring Dexters having filled a gap in Dick
Barton, but not having come between it and The Archers), I was tempted
to crosspost your question to uk.media.radio.bbc-r4, as it seemed to me
to be a valid question for both 'groups; however, I'm glad I didn't have
to, as crossposting really causes somerats to have apoplectic fits.

Welcome, anyway! New UMRAts are always welcome.

"Oh, stick it up your nose." "Yes, which is precisely the sort of thing we need
to know, I mean, do people want fire that can be fitted nasally?" (s1, fit
six.)