I hope Neil and Tom do not use these hormones
2017-08-06 09:14:54 UTC
I get emails from Sum of Us and got this
" Vicky,
After years of investigative work by the Animal Welfare Foundation,
its partners in Uruguay, and hundreds of thousands of SumOfUs members
like you taking action, Merck, Sharp and Dohme (MSD) has cut all ties
with horse blood farms in South America!

Together, we’ve moved a pharma giant. Together, we are a force to be
reckoned with. But we cannot stop here.

Cruel horse blood farms will still operate as long as there are pharma
companies willing to buy their products -- and the next big player
could step in and take over the business MSD has left behind.

On nightmarish blood farms, horses are horrifically drained of their
blood -- all for the profits of pharma companies like IDT Biologika.
Big pharma is making huge profits from the torture of horses.
Thousands of horses are raised purely for the purpose of having their
blood extracted and sold -- with dire consequences.

Blood farm conditions are worse than you’d ever imagine.

On farms in Uruguay and Argentina, our partners revealed that workers
routinely take 10 litres of blood from the horse in a single
extraction -- almost a fourth of its total blood. That much blood loss
can lead to hypovolemic shock, anaemia or even death.

It’s a hormone called PMSG that the pharma industry is after. Because
the valuable hormone can only be found in the blood of mares in their
early pregnancy, they are forced into repeated pregnancies and
abortions. Finally, they are shipped off to be slaughtered once
they’re too weak or old to become pregnant.
In a cruel cycle of animal exploitation, the precious hormone obtained
from pregnant mare blood is used by the pig industry to make the
industrial production of piglets even more efficient."

Justin though is planning a pig factory, isn't he. Would they use
this?
2017-08-06 19:22:01 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky
<***@gmail.com> writes:
[]
Post by Vicky
On nightmarish blood farms, horses are horrifically drained of their
blood -- all for the profits of pharma companies like IDT Biologika.
Big pharma is making huge profits from the torture of horses.
Thousands of horses are raised purely for the purpose of having their
blood extracted and sold -- with dire consequences.
As opposed to cattle, raised purely for meat and dairy (or possibly
insulin - I'm not sure if beef insulin is still used).
Post by Vicky
Blood farm conditions are worse than you’d ever imagine.
On farms in Uruguay and Argentina, our partners revealed that workers
routinely take 10 litres of blood from the horse in a single
extraction -- almost a fourth of its total blood. That much blood loss
So there needs to be proper regulation of the industry. (Maybe one might
hope that, if it were to be in the UK, welfare would be better.)
Post by Vicky
can lead to hypovolemic shock, anaemia or even death.
Though presumably doesn't in a high enough proportion, or they farms
would go out of business.
Post by Vicky
It’s a hormone called PMSG that the pharma industry is after. Because
the valuable hormone can only be found in the blood of mares in their
early pregnancy, they are forced into repeated pregnancies and
abortions. Finally, they are shipped off to be slaughtered once
they’re too weak or old to become pregnant.
I must admit my first reaction was to think of milk production. Of
course, that doesn't require _early_ pregnancy.

(I also wonder what happens to the stallions, though I presume the same
as the bulls in our dairy industry .)
Post by Vicky
In a cruel cycle of animal exploitation, the precious hormone obtained
from pregnant mare blood is used by the pig industry to make the
industrial production of piglets even more efficient."
Justin though is planning a pig factory, isn't he. Would they use
this?
I'd be highly surprised if they didn't.

We must, of course, ensure that we display no bias. The bias I worry about
most is the bias against understanding. - Nick Robinson, RT 2017/4/8-14
Penny
2017-08-07 00:19:27 UTC
On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 10:14:54 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
On nightmarish blood farms, horses are horrifically drained of their
blood -- all for the profits of pharma companies like IDT Biologika.
Big pharma is making huge profits from the torture of horses.
Thousands of horses are raised purely for the purpose of having their
blood extracted and sold -- with dire consequences.
snip of further nasty details

I think I first saw something about that a couple of years ago.

I wonder if Neil uses PMSG on his sows.

Did you know a similar thing (without the repeated pregnancy and abortion)
was going on over a hundred years ago to produce vaccines for diseases like
diphtheria? Horses were deliberately infected with the disease, built an
immunity and then the serum used to vaccinate people. They used horses
because of their size - they were more likely to survive the disease than
smaller animals.

The problem was a lot of people turned out to be allergic to these serums
so horses are no longer used for human vaccine production - though they
still are for snake anti-venoms and to produce vaccines for horses.

I wonder how the pregnant mares they get urine from are treated...
2017-08-07 07:39:51 UTC
Did you know a similar thing (without the repeated pregnancy and abortion)
was going on over a hundred years ago to produce vaccines for diseases like
diphtheria? Horses were deliberately infected with the disease, built an
immunity and then the serum used to vaccinate people. They used horses
because of their size - they were more likely to survive the disease than
smaller animals.
No, I didn't know that. I wonder if we now have ways of making these
serums etc without cruelty to animals?
Post by Penny
The problem was a lot of people turned out to be allergic to these serums
so horses are no longer used for human vaccine production - though they
still are for snake anti-venoms and to produce vaccines for horses.
I wonder how the pregnant mares they get urine from are treated...
I got the impression from the article that they are treated badly.
2017-08-07 15:20:15 UTC
Post by Penny
The problem was a lot of people turned out to be allergic to these serums
so horses are no longer used for human vaccine production - though they
still are for snake anti-venoms and to produce vaccines for horses.
I wonder how the pregnant mares they get urine from are treated...
I got the impression from the article that they are treated badly.
I hope they weren't taking the p*ss.
2017-08-07 17:22:28 UTC
On Mon, 07 Aug 2017 15:20:15 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Post by Vicky
Post by Penny
I wonder how the pregnant mares they get urine from are treated...
I got the impression from the article that they are treated badly.
I hope they weren't taking the p*ss.
I knew you wouldn't let me down Mike ;)
#feedlinesRus
2017-08-07 17:25:54 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Post by Vicky
Post by Penny
I wonder how the pregnant mares they get urine from are treated...
I got the impression from the article that they are treated badly.
I hope they weren't taking the p*ss.
I knew you wouldn't let me down Mike ;)
#feedlinesRus
Glad to be of service... Oo-er, perhaps I should re-phrase that!
2017-08-07 22:43:19 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Penny
I wonder how the pregnant mares they get urine from are treated...
I got the impression from the article that they are treated badly.
I hope they weren't taking the p*ss.
I knew you wouldn't let me down Mike ;)
#feedlinesRus
Glad to be of service... Oo-er, perhaps I should re-phrase that!
Only if you say 'yum' [1]

There you go - another HH reference that may mollify Sid :-)