Umra Book Club
2017-04-20 06:37:53 UTC
I can wholeheartedly recommend Chris Brookmyre's latest, Want You Gone.
A brilliant thriller. Review here if interested:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2944MV3DALTG4/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Sadly, the same cannot be said of The Blood Miracles by Lisa McInerney.
It's the sequel to the very good The Glorious Heresies and isn't a
patch, IMO. Reluctantly grumpy review here if interested:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R22DVZZR8XATMB/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
2017-04-20 07:25:37 UTC
I can wholeheartedly recommend Chris Brookmyre's latest, Want You Gone.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2944MV3DALTG4/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
This sounds like a series I will enjoy, but when I look at his books on
Amazon it is very confusing as to what is the correct order to read them
in (which my OCD requires me to do). For instance both Black Widow and
Country of the blind are described as Jack Parlabane book 2. Or are they
the same book in US and UK with different titles ? EMNTK

Any suggestions as to what to start with gratefully received MOPMOB as
my current bookshelf does not appeal and I haven't had the final Robin
Hobb book approved by NetGalley :(
Nick Odell
2017-04-20 09:01:31 UTC
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 09:25:37 +0200, BrritSki
I can wholeheartedly recommend Chris Brookmyre's latest, Want You Gone.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2944MV3DALTG4/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
This sounds like a series I will enjoy, but when I look at his books on
Amazon it is very confusing as to what is the correct order to read them
in (which my OCD requires me to do). For instance both Black Widow and
Country of the blind are described as Jack Parlabane book 2. Or are they
the same book in US and UK with different titles ? EMNTK
Any suggestions as to what to start with gratefully received MOPMOB as
my current bookshelf does not appeal and I haven't had the final Robin
Hobb book approved by NetGalley :(
IANAAmazonTop10Reviewer but Wikipedia shows the two titles you mention
written almost twenty years apart. I blame the publicists.

2017-04-20 12:11:21 UTC
Yes, I noticed that. Very confusing...
Sid Nuncius
2017-04-20 09:12:03 UTC
I can wholeheartedly recommend Chris Brookmyre's latest, Want You Gone.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2944MV3DALTG4/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
This sounds like a series I will enjoy, but when I look at his books on
Amazon it is very confusing as to what is the correct order to read them
in (which my OCD requires me to do). For instance both Black Widow and
Country of the blind are described as Jack Parlabane book 2. Or are they
the same book in US and UK with different titles ? EMNTK
Any suggestions as to what to start with gratefully received MOPMOB as
my current bookshelf does not appeal and I haven't had the final Robin
Hobb book approved by NetGalley :(
Yes, Amazon speak with forked tongue on the subject. There's a list in
order here:
http://www.bookseriesinorder.com/christopher-brookmyre/

I read Quite Ugly One Morning 20 years ago and wasn't very impressed. I
didn't bother with another until Black Widow last year, which I enjoyed
very much, and now Want You Gone. I think you'd like them and both can
be read as stand-alone books if you perfer. I've not caught up with the
books in between so I can only recommend those two from personal
experience. Starting with Black Widow worked for me; what history you
need is well integrated into the book.

HTH
2017-04-20 12:12:45 UTC
[...]
Thanks Sid - I have ordered QU1M (whoops) and see if I like it or not :/

Then I'll decide whether to read the others in the series or jump to the
3 more modern ones....
Jenny M Benson
2017-04-20 10:45:00 UTC
This sounds like a series I will enjoy, but when I look at his books on
Amazon it is very confusing as to what is the correct order to read them
in (which my OCD requires me to do). For instance both Black Widow and
Country of the blind are described as Jack Parlabane book 2. Or are they
the same book in US and UK with different titles ? EMNTK
<www.fantasticfiction.com>, which is my always-go-to for that and
similar problems, informs me that they are books 2 and 7 respectively.

Peter Percival
2017-04-20 09:40:14 UTC
I can wholeheartedly recommend Chris Brookmyre's latest, Want You Gone.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2944MV3DALTG4/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
Sadly, the same cannot be said of The Blood Miracles by Lisa McInerney.
It's the sequel to the very good The Glorious Heresies and isn't a
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R22DVZZR8XATMB/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
I have got on order a number of Conrad's novels. Some I have read
before, when, I suspect, I was young to appreciate them. /Lord Jim/
falls in to that category. And others, which for years I have intended
to read, but have never got round to. /The secret agent/ is one of
those; I think I only know it through Hampton's film.
to me what you really mean.