spoiler 10/7/17
2017-07-10 21:05:46 UTC

Ruth as Rory's representative. Is she much younger than David? I
thought the objection to Davoid was his age. She is used to boys as
she has two.

And then Jill gets hold of Brian....*wince*
That went well then.

Umra does often talk about cruises, meals out and travel and of course
those partaking are able to afford these things and there are people
who need to use food banks. I don't feel I have to rant, but have
watched 2 episodes in the last week of Posh Pets on Ch 5 I think it
was, where people spend huge amounts on their pets. These people have
lots of money. £5k on a wedding for two dogs is one of the
extravagances, and I can't help thinking of the people who need to use
food banks as i watch.

Awwwww. He got Lilian a puppy.
2017-07-10 21:22:04 UTC
Post by Vicky
Ruth as Rory's representative. Is she much younger than David? I
thought the objection to Davoid was his age. She is used to boys as
Just my thought.
Post by Vicky
she has two.
Good point.
Post by Vicky
And then Jill gets hold of Brian....*wince*
That went well then.
Indeed. I thought a _little_ out of character, unless they're leading us
into a Jill change of character as part of something else happening to
her )-:. [Not that I don't think she might have such views (I can't
remember if she does or not) - just the vigour of her attack.]
Post by Vicky
Umra does often talk about cruises, meals out and travel and of course
those partaking are able to afford these things and there are people
who need to use food banks. I don't feel I have to rant, but have
watched 2 episodes in the last week of Posh Pets on Ch 5 I think it
was, where people spend huge amounts on their pets. These people have
lots of money. £5k on a wedding for two dogs is one of the
extravagances, and I can't help thinking of the people who need to use
food banks as i watch.
I always think, though: where does the money people pay for a yacht (did
I relay my pleasure on the description of that rich area of Florida:
there are the haves, and the have-yachts?), or a dog wedding, go? After
materials, it mostly goes into paying people. Who themselves use it,
either for living, or for buying themselves things they want, and so on
down. In short, money "wasted" on a yacht, dog wedding, or many other
things, doesn't just _disappear_.
Post by Vicky
Awwwww. He got Lilian a puppy.
Groan. Bad in so many ways.

* SLMR 2.1a #113 * Tits like watermelons, sparrows like bacon rind.
- 03-22-97 Dave Beecham <***@pandbox.demon.co.uk> (quoted by
Gene Wirchenko, in alt.windows7.general, 2012-10-16.)
Penny
2017-07-11 09:23:17 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 22:22:04 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I always think, though: where does the money people pay for a yacht (did
there are the haves, and the have-yachts?), or a dog wedding, go? After
materials, it mostly goes into paying people. Who themselves use it,
either for living, or for buying themselves things they want, and so on
down. In short, money "wasted" on a yacht, dog wedding, or many other
things, doesn't just _disappear_.
Precisely. It was the argument Ray used about Royal weddings. Money spent
on such things really does trickle down (and they attract money from
elsewhere). Not so much when spent on a single artwork although the auction
houses do employ people.
Marjorie
2017-07-11 15:35:38 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I always think, though: where does the money people pay for a yacht (did
there are the haves, and the have-yachts?), or a dog wedding, go? After
materials, it mostly goes into paying people. Who themselves use it,
either for living, or for buying themselves things they want, and so on
down. In short, money "wasted" on a yacht, dog wedding, or many other
things, doesn't just _disappear_.
Precisely. It was the argument Ray used about Royal weddings. Money spent
on such things really does trickle down (and they attract money from
elsewhere). Not so much when spent on a single artwork although the auction
houses do employ people.
In a similar way, the money that most people "make" has not actually
been created out of nothing by the sweat of their brows, it has been
paid to them by other people in the form of wage packets, salaries,
bonuses, state benefits, pensions, etc. Everyone's income comes from
other people's money; those who pay will usually obtain something in
exchange (goods, services, etc) and they may make their payments via
taxes, insurance premiums, high street shops, handing over cash or
cheques to salesmen or tradesmen, etc etc, but it's all money, just
moving around and sticking to some people in greater amounts than it
does to others.
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
LFS
2017-07-11 06:48:01 UTC
Post by Vicky
Umra does often talk about cruises, meals out and travel and of course
those partaking are able to afford these things and there are people
who need to use food banks. I don't feel I have to rant, but have
watched 2 episodes in the last week of Posh Pets on Ch 5 I think it
was, where people spend huge amounts on their pets. These people have
lots of money. £5k on a wedding for two dogs is one of the
extravagances, and I can't help thinking of the people who need to use
food banks as i watch.
If you really want to be sickened by extravagance you should look at the
FT "How to spend it" magazine. Although I have noticed that they now
give a page to one item that can be bought for under £100 in every
issue, most of the stuff advertised is in the high £000s. Oh, there is a
small paragraph on philanthropy.

Or you could wander round Harrods, where the saleslady in the chandelier
department told me that she sells several at £50k each week.
2017-07-11 08:18:56 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Vicky
[...]
I used to really like Harrods :). I went to the sales a few times and
I could get baby things at the price I'd normally pay elsewhere, as
they were in the sale, but were nicer. And then the daughters got in
to City of London Girls School and Harrods was the school outfitter.
The service is wonderful. They take the child away, outfit it in a
sensible size to allow for growth and bring it back. Done and over, no
arguments. Then off to the ice cream parlour downstairs, or the
balcony bar for a drink.
2017-07-11 09:07:18 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by LFS
Post by Vicky
[...]
You obviously haven't been there recently. It is astonishing. A temple
to expensive bad taste. And the food hall is not nearly as impressive as
it used to be.
2017-07-11 09:12:42 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Vicky
Post by LFS
Post by Vicky
[...]
Well it is probably good taste to the moneyed e.g., Russians Middle East &
Far East etc.

At the Queen's Gallery last week, I was told the Canalettos (second visit)
were originally housed in simple frames. The Royals, as Germans, preferred
heavily ornate gold leaf ones and so they were changed. Seems lack of
taste is in equal opposite proportions to wealth.
2017-07-11 10:34:45 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Vicky
Post by LFS
Or you could wander round Harrods, where the saleslady in the chandelier
department told me that she sells several at £50k each week.
I used to really like Harrods :). I went to the sales a few times and
I could get baby things at the price I'd normally pay elsewhere, as
they were in the sale, but were nicer. And then the daughters got in
to City of London Girls School and Harrods was the school outfitter.
The service is wonderful. They take the child away, outfit it in a
sensible size to allow for growth and bring it back. Done and over, no
arguments. Then off to the ice cream parlour downstairs, or the
balcony bar for a drink.
You obviously haven't been there recently. It is astonishing. A temple
to expensive bad taste. And the food hall is not nearly as impressive as
it used to be.
Well, older daughter is 44 now and we either handed down or went to
the 2nd hand event at the school for second daughter #badmum. Then I
had less leisure to go as I was working to pay the fees for 2nd
daughter to go to the school. Grandma paid the first.
Anne B
2017-07-11 19:38:24 UTC
Post by Vicky
I used to really like Harrods :). I went to the sales a few times and
I could get baby things at the price I'd normally pay elsewhere, as
they were in the sale, but were nicer. And then the daughters got in
to City of London Girls School and Harrods was the school outfitter.
The service is wonderful. They take the child away, outfit it in a
sensible size to allow for growth and bring it back. Done and over, no
arguments. Then off to the ice cream parlour downstairs, or the
balcony bar for a drink.
I used to go there any time I was in London. Then one time I wanted to
go and have a cup of coffee, just to say I'd had morning coffee in
Harrods, but they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg to use the
ladies' room first, and they would not deduct it from the cost of the
coffee. If I had had the coffee first and then used the ladies there
would have been no charge, but what is the point of washing your hands
**after** eating and drinking, rather than before?

So I left, vowing never to darken the doors again, and I have never been
back. I can't really say that not going into Harrods has blighted my life.

Anne B
Vicky
2017-07-11 20:01:41 UTC
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 20:38:24 +0100, Anne B
Post by Anne B
Post by Vicky
[...]
I used to use the loo there and do not recall ever being charged. But
last visit was around the year Princess Diana died, because I went
with a friend and bought a travel bag that I've still got. It has a
Harrod's label.
2017-07-11 21:56:50 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Vicky
[...]
That was indeed the case some years ago - I remember. Since then it has
changed hands and I have a feeling the policy has been amended. But
cannot be sure as we have not been for a few years.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Marjorie
2017-07-12 07:51:44 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Vicky
[...]
That's awful. I always like to wash my hands before eating, especially
if I've been out shopping. I wonder what would have happened if you said
you were required to do this for religious reasons? I think Muslims and
Jews claim that their faith requires this, although common sense
requires it too.

Anne B
2017-07-12 07:59:43 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Anne B
Post by Vicky
[...]
Oh, that's easy. You'd have to pay to wash your hands first. They would
argue that no-one is compelled to drink coffee in Harrods, and everyone
has to pay if they have not already paid for coffee, so there is no
discrimination of any kind. If you don't want to pay you can go
elsewhere, which is what I did.

Anne B
John Finlay
2017-07-12 11:53:07 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Marjorie
Post by Anne B
Post by Vicky
[...]
Popped into this corner shop for some coffee beans three weeks ago
(Founders choice - mmmm) toilets were quite free and, as expected, well
appointed.

John Finlay
Penny
2017-07-11 09:18:29 UTC
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 07:48:01 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by LFS
Or you could wander round Harrods, where the saleslady in the chandelier
department told me that she sells several at £50k each week.
The Kent village where I used to live is now home to a chandelier
maker/restorer originally based in Stourbridge. Skilled work for the most
part and I notice from the village facebook page, currently hiring.
Business can't be too bad.
2017-07-11 07:32:36 UTC
Post by Vicky
Ruth as Rory's representative. Is she much younger than David? I
thought the objection to Davoid was his age. She is used to boys as
she has two.
Ruth Archer was born 16/06/1968, current age 49.
David Archer was born 18/09/1959, current age 57.
Clive Arthur
2017-07-11 15:50:38 UTC
Post by Vicky
Ruth as Rory's representative. Is she much younger than David? I
thought the objection to Davoid was his age. She is used to boys as
she has two.
Ruth Archer was born 16/06/1968, current age 49.
David Archer was born 18/09/1959, current age 57.
Settle the issue by jousting. A tourney.

Cheers
Clive
the Omrud
2017-07-16 13:27:13 UTC
Post by Vicky
Ruth as Rory's representative. Is she much younger than David? I
thought the objection to Davoid was his age. She is used to boys as
she has two.
Ruth Archer was born 16/06/1968, current age 49.
David Archer was born 18/09/1959, current age 57.
I'm sure that Brian knows David's actual age, but he was put off by
David appearing to be entirely shagged out and not long for this world.
David
krw
2017-07-16 15:37:45 UTC
by David appearing to be entirely shagged out
Lucky Ruth.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
carolet
2017-07-16 18:43:35 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by carolet
Post by Vicky
Ruth as Rory's representative. Is she much younger than David? I
thought the objection to Davoid was his age. She is used to boys as
she has two.
Ruth Archer was born 16/06/1968, current age 49.
David Archer was born 18/09/1959, current age 57.
I'm sure that Brian knows David's actual age, but he was put off by
David appearing to be entirely shagged out and not long for this world.
I'm sure he would, and would also know how much younger Ruth is, but
Vicky didn't know that and was asking.
the Omrud
2017-07-16 19:05:50 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by carolet
Post by Vicky
Ruth as Rory's representative. Is she much younger than David? I
thought the objection to Davoid was his age. She is used to boys as
she has two.
Ruth Archer was born 16/06/1968, current age 49.
David Archer was born 18/09/1959, current age 57.
I'm sure that Brian knows David's actual age, but he was put off by
David appearing to be entirely shagged out and not long for this world.
I'm sure he would, and would also know how much younger Ruth is, but
Vicky didn't know that and was asking.
Oh, certainly. I was intentding to reply to the question of why Brian
ditched David as an idea.
--
David