get_iplayer
2017-04-26 21:36:13 UTC
Apparently the BBC have implemented plans which terminate the data
source used by this program:
https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/announcement-23.html

This has been anticipated for a while but it now seems to have happened.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
DavidK
2017-04-27 08:43:19 UTC
Ah, thank you. The inner pedant says it was expected but not anticipated.
krw
2017-04-27 09:41:58 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by krw
Apparently the BBC have implemented plans which terminate the data
https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/announcement-23.html
This has been anticipated for a while but it now seems to have happened.
Ah, thank you. The inner pedant says it was expected but not anticipated.
Yes indeed. Having read the note more closely I see the person doing
the hard work hopes to release a fix around 30 April. This must be a
huge piece of work and I can only echo my thanks.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Nick Odell
2017-04-27 15:54:43 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by krw
Apparently the BBC have implemented plans which terminate the data
https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/announcement-23.html
This has been anticipated for a while but it now seems to have happened.
Ah, thank you. The inner pedant says it was expected but not anticipated.
Yes indeed. Having read the note more closely I see the person doing
the hard work hopes to release a fix around 30 April. This must be a
huge piece of work and I can only echo my thanks.
" For the moment, just don't use get_iplayer. "
He says, after informing us that --pid still works.

Okay, I won't use it if he doesn't want me to but I mainly use --pid
and --pid-recursive is a wonderfully powerful tool (just be careful
you don't download the entire BBC by accident) and I wonder why I
shouldn't?

2017-04-27 18:04:13 UTC
He says, after informing us that --pid still works.
When I tried that it still failed.

I think the software is seeking information from a server which is not
there any longer so it is presumably causing annoyance to someone
somewhere which might mean the BBC get even meaner?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
krw
2017-04-30 21:26:21 UTC
He says, after informing us that --pid still works.
When I tried that it still failed.
I think the software is seeking information from a server which is not
there any longer so it is presumably causing annoyance to someone
somewhere which might mean the BBC get even meaner?
A new version has been released and I have it working. There are still
predictions that there remains a limited life for the software as the
BBC continues to make changes.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Kate B
2017-04-30 21:53:08 UTC
He says, after informing us that --pid still works.
When I tried that it still failed.
I think the software is seeking information from a server which is not
there any longer so it is presumably causing annoyance to someone
somewhere which might mean the BBC get even meaner?
A new version has been released and I have it working. There are still
predictions that there remains a limited life for the software as the
BBC continues to make changes.
ooh, but will use it while we may. Thanks for the update, KRW.
2017-05-01 08:22:35 UTC
Post by Kate B
He says, after informing us that --pid still works.
When I tried that it still failed.
I think the software is seeking information from a server which is not
there any longer so it is presumably causing annoyance to someone
somewhere which might mean the BBC get even meaner?
A new version has been released and I have it working. There are still
predictions that there remains a limited life for the software as the
BBC continues to make changes.
ooh, but will use it while we may. Thanks for the update, KRW.
The web interface has been smartened up - or is that just me?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Nick Odell
2017-05-01 11:00:34 UTC
He says, after informing us that --pid still works.
When I tried that it still failed.
I think the software is seeking information from a server which is not
there any longer so it is presumably causing annoyance to someone
somewhere which might mean the BBC get even meaner?
A new version has been released and I have it working. There are still
predictions that there remains a limited life for the software as the
BBC continues to make changes.
Does anybody know if the feature that automatically downloads the TV
catalogue on launch can be disabled? I don't download TV programmes
and I'd like to launch with --type=radio.

I've downloaded the new version 3.00.00 but haven't run it yet since
the release notes suggest that initial indexing is going to be
onerous.

2017-05-01 12:11:57 UTC
Does anybody know if the feature that automatically downloads the TV
catalogue on launch can be disabled? I don't download TV programmes
and I'd like to launch with --type=radio.
I believe so. I merely refresh the programme cache for radio only.
Post by Nick Odell
I've downloaded the new version 3.00.00 but haven't run it yet since
the release notes suggest that initial indexing is going to be
onerous.
The notes make it seem far worse than before. It no longer seems to
refresh the cache when you Run PVR - but that might have been a one off.
However it does not seem unreasonably long if you only do radio (never
bother with TV as I rarely suck TV into this resource.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Sam Plusnet
2017-05-01 21:18:23 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I've downloaded the new version 3.00.00 but haven't run it yet since
the release notes suggest that initial indexing is going to be
onerous.
The notes make it seem far worse than before. It no longer seems to
refresh the cache when you Run PVR - but that might have been a one off.
However it does not seem unreasonably long if you only do radio (never
bother with TV as I rarely suck TV into this resource.
That's interesting because I was going to say that I'd had no problem
with get-iplayer and assumed it was because I only download radio.
2017-05-15 13:08:19 UTC
Apparently the BBC have implemented plans which terminate the data
https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/announcement-23.html
This has been anticipated for a while but it now seems to have happened.
There has been another release of get_iplayer. Improvements have been
made as the BBC have apparently improved the source information.
tiny.cc/KRWpics