Spoilerette - Parish Council
2017-10-08 18:26:56 UTC
Once again, they scriptwriters are completely ignoring the procedures
about how things should be done. You would have expected Neil to know
the rules!

This doesn't refer to Ambridge Parish Council but the process shouldn't
be too different:
<http://www.waverley.gov.uk/info/200138/elections/1276/casual_vacancies_for_parish_councillors>
I hope to God the doctor finds something wrong with me because I'd hate
to feel like this if I was well! (Anon)
Mike
2017-10-09 07:38:32 UTC
Once again, they scriptwriters are completely ignoring the procedures
about how things should be done. You would have expected Neil to know
the rules!
This doesn't refer to Ambridge Parish Council but the process shouldn't
<http://www.waverley.gov.uk/info/200138/elections/1276/casual_vacancies_for_parish_councillors>
Yer but, in a FOTWD, FOTWD rules apply - or not!
2017-10-09 08:56:11 UTC
Once again, they scriptwriters are completely ignoring the procedures
about how things should be done. You would have expected Neil to know
the rules!
This doesn't refer to Ambridge Parish Council but the process shouldn't
<http://www.waverley.gov.uk/info/200138/elections/1276/casual_vacancies_for_parish_councillors>
Yer but, in a FOTWD, FOTWD rules apply - or not!
I think it may vary from council to council. In ours, someone was merely
co-opted when there was a vacancy in our village. It wasn’t somebody
competent!
2017-10-09 10:09:56 UTC
On 9 Oct 2017 08:56:11 GMT, Sally Thompson
Once again, they scriptwriters are completely ignoring the procedures
about how things should be done. You would have expected Neil to know
the rules!
This doesn't refer to Ambridge Parish Council but the process shouldn't
<http://www.waverley.gov.uk/info/200138/elections/1276/casual_vacancies_for_parish_councillors>
Yer but, in a FOTWD, FOTWD rules apply - or not!
I think it may vary from council to council. In ours, someone was merely
co-opted when there was a vacancy in our village. It wasn’t somebody
competent!
You'd think they'd want someone to represent the young people. Neil
presumably has to be careful or Robert could say he favoured Emma
because she's his daughter. Maybe they could co-opt both.
2017-10-09 10:08:46 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Sally Thompson
<***@gmail.com.invalid> writes:
I think it may vary from council to council. In ours, someone was merely
co-opted when there was a vacancy in our village. It wasn’t somebody
competent!
I think, in between elections, the existing members can co-opt someone,
if they agree on that person and that person is willing; they'd have to
be confirmed by election next time round. I think this is usually when
some specific issue arises which the existing members agree a specified
person could help with: the person doesn't necessarily become a
councillor as such for the remainder of the current term. When a general
vacancy arises, as in this case, more formal selection of _some_ sort is
required - only if, of course, more than one person steps forward, which
often isn't the case.

"Does Barbie come with Ken?"
"Barbie comes with G.I. Joe. She fakes it with Ken." - anonymous
Serena Blanchflower
2017-10-09 11:46:05 UTC
Once again, they scriptwriters are completely ignoring the procedures
about how things should be done. You would have expected Neil to know
the rules!
This doesn't refer to Ambridge Parish Council but the process shouldn't
<http://www.waverley.gov.uk/info/200138/elections/1276/casual_vacancies_for_parish_councillors>
Yer but, in a FOTWD, FOTWD rules apply - or not!
I think it may vary from council to council. In ours, someone was merely
co-opted when there was a vacancy in our village. It wasn’t somebody
competent!
They are certainly allowed to co-opt people but they are meant to
advertise the vacancy first, not just decide who they want and co-opt
someone without allowing other people to either call for an election or
to put themselves forward.

In practice, what generally happens is that, when the vacancy is
advertised, there is a deafening silence. After this, arms will be
twisted and someone will be co-opted.
WRINKLES: Something other people have, Similar to my character lines.
Mike
2017-10-09 14:02:07 UTC
[...]
Same the world over....
2017-10-09 08:37:10 UTC
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 19:26:56 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Once again, they scriptwriters are completely ignoring the procedures
about how things should be done. You would have expected Neil to know
the rules!
This doesn't refer to Ambridge Parish Council but the process shouldn't
<http://www.waverley.gov.uk/info/200138/elections/1276/casual_vacancies_for_parish_councillors>
The rules seem to allow for letters of application from interested
parties and a vote if there is more than one. Emma is doing her letter
but presumably someone needs to tell Robert to make a formal letter.
And a notice to invite others, with a deadline for applications, might
have been put up, might it not?
2017-10-09 08:53:14 UTC
Post by Vicky
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 19:26:56 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Once again, they scriptwriters are completely ignoring the procedures
about how things should be done. You would have expected Neil to know
the rules!
This doesn't refer to Ambridge Parish Council but the process shouldn't
<http://www.waverley.gov.uk/info/200138/elections/1276/casual_vacancies_for_parish_councillors>
The rules seem to allow for letters of application from interested
parties and a vote if there is more than one. Emma is doing her letter
but presumably someone needs to tell Robert to make a formal letter.
And a notice to invite others, with a deadline for applications, might
have been put up, might it not?
Neil said he would get letters from both. But it does not look like the
normal procedure has been followed.
tiny.cc/KRWpics