OT: Venice
2017-05-06 13:30:30 UTC
Our trip to Venice last week was excellent. The apartment we’d booked
needed emergency repairs so the owner had arranged an alternative nearby
that was more expensive which she covered and it was lovely, comfortable
and well-equipped.

The weather could have been better – there was a cold wind most of the
time, but we managed to eat outside each lunchtime and didn’t get too
wet at other times – we were in a restaurant Thursday evening when the
thunderstorm went over. We also sat outside on the vaporetto several
times for long periods to watch the city go by.

We had some lovely meals as ever – return visits to the Taverna San
Trovarso and La Bitta (which once again had marvellous porchetta with
horseradish sauce) and new finds at Osteria da Codroma and Taverna da
Baffo both of which we’ll visit again (all reviews on TripAdvisor).

We also did lots of walking, step totals/day were 7k, 14K, 14K and 12K
respectively and two more tours with Free Walks In Venice who were
excellent again.

But the highlight of the trip was the visit to the Damien Hirst
exhibition that has just opened in two locations in Venice. He’s not
entirely my cup of tea ("I don't know art, but I know what I like") and
there were several pieces that I didn’t go for, but overall it is a
stunning body of work. In particular the enormous headless demon at the
entrance of the Pallazzo Grassi, the rose marble figure on the couch,
the gold face, gold cornucopia and little gold corpse, and the pieces
covered in coracle, barnacles and other underwater accretions which were
so accurate. Not so keen on the “funny” pieces, although I smiled when I
realised I was looking at Mowgli and Baloo, but the whole thing is a bit
of a piss-take from the conceit of the pieces being discovered on a 2000
year-old wreck right up to the pretentious twaddle (imo) in the
programme. Very enjoyable though and congratulations to everyone
(especially my friends) who worked on it.

Pictures at <https://www.flickr.com/ph…/rogertil/albums/72157681594100940>
Penny
2017-05-06 17:46:10 UTC
On Sat, 6 May 2017 15:30:30 +0200, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
the pretentious twaddle (imo) in the
programme.
My big brother, who had studied sculpture at St Martins (after the
architectural school he was attending became "unrecognised") discovered
writing pretentious twaddle, something he'd never been taught to do, was a
necessary skill when seeking grants and funding.

He ended up making (small) films and teaching others. Not sure he passed on
the skills and value of writing pretentious twaddle either. Presumably
those with their hands on the purse strings like to be baffled by clever
sounding but meaningless tosh.
Post by BrritSki
Pictures at <https://www.flickr.com/ph…/rogertil/albums/72157681594100940>
Oops! Looks like you followed a bad link :(

Try https://flic.kr/s/aHskWo6HpJ
2017-05-07 09:10:31 UTC
My big brother, who had studied sculpture at St Martins (after the
architectural school he was attending became "unrecognised") discovered
writing pretentious twaddle, something he'd never been taught to do, was a
necessary skill when seeking grants and funding.
A folk performer friend recently posted on Facebook:

"The funding app contained "symphonic/episodic", "sexuality" and
"mixolydian" , so that's clearly a shoo-in."

To which I responded

"We can only anticipate the episode when your mixolydian symphony
awakens the sexuality of the listeners."

To which she responded

"Pretty much"

Can't wait! ;-)

***@cdixon.me.uk