That Toby
2017-04-16 21:32:30 UTC
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Nick Odell
2017-04-16 22:53:57 UTC
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"

(No offence intended to any Steves hereabouts)

2017-04-16 23:02:56 UTC
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"
(No offence intended to any Steves hereabouts)
Oi!
2017-04-17 08:17:51 UTC
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"
Whoosh!

2017-04-17 09:41:56 UTC
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"
Whoosh!
Sincerely Chris
Et moi
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-04-17 11:16:03 UTC
In message
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"
Whoosh!
Sincerely Chris
Et moi
+1! (And unless it's part of the bit I'm not getting, the usual
_pronunciation_, at least, suggests it's "grise" [not that I know what
gender "eminence" is].)

Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove
that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are
right. -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)
Peter Percival
2017-04-17 12:10:42 UTC
In message
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"
Whoosh!
Sincerely Chris
Et moi
+1! (And unless it's part of the bit I'm not getting, the usual
_pronunciation_, at least, suggests it's "grise" [not that I know what
gender "eminence" is].)
Richelieu's mate Leclerc wunnit? If you've read /The Three Musketeers/,
it's Father Joseph.
to me what you really mean.

Sincerely Chris
Peter Percival
2017-04-19 12:20:18 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 21:32:30 -0000 (UTC), Btms
Post by Btms
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"
Whoosh!
Sincerely Chris
Et moi
+1! (And unless it's part of the bit I'm not getting, the usual
_pronunciation_, at least, suggests it's "grise" [not that I know
what gender "eminence" is].)
Richelieu's mate Leclerc wunnit? If you've read /The Three
Musketeers/, it's Father Joseph.
I haven't.
Well three is rather a lot, just try one.

Anyway, what I meant was, the character Father Joseph in TTM was based
on François Leclerc du Tremblay who was the original éminence grise, and
he was called grise because of the colour of his monk's habit. Some
thing like that.
to me what you really mean.
2017-04-17 12:46:20 UTC
In message
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"
Whoosh!
Sincerely Chris
Et moi
+1! (And unless it's part of the bit I'm not getting, the usual
_pronunciation_, at least, suggests it's "grise" [not that I know what
gender "eminence" is].)
I miss the e off the end. I understand it to mean a shadowy figure (grey)
who is influential upon others but not noticed for their influence.
However Jill seems to have clocked him.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-04-17 14:00:43 UTC
In message
In message
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"
Whoosh!
Sincerely Chris
Et moi
+1! (And unless it's part of the bit I'm not getting, the usual
_pronunciation_, at least, suggests it's "grise" [not that I know what
gender "eminence" is].)
I miss the e off the end. I understand it to mean a shadowy figure (grey)
who is influential upon others but not noticed for their influence.
However Jill seems to have clocked him.
Yes, I agree, that's what I think it means too. I've never seen it
written, but when I've heard it, the first word is usually given a
French pronunciation, and the second rhymed with breeze, so I've always
assumed the spelling would be grise.

I agree: Toby might be such, with even Pip being unaware of how he's
changing her character (and - quite possibly - himself being unaware
both of his influence and possibly even of the character trait itself).
Yes, Jill is a wise old bird at times.

But I'm still whooshed by the Steve reference ...

"If just one child is saved, then we'll have created a police state for the
benefit of just one child."
Serena Blanchflower
2017-04-17 15:09:41 UTC
In message
In message
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"
Whoosh!
Sincerely Chris
Et moi
+1! (And unless it's part of the bit I'm not getting, the usual
_pronunciation_, at least, suggests it's "grise" [not that I know what
gender "eminence" is].)
I miss the e off the end. I understand it to mean a shadowy figure (grey)
who is influential upon others but not noticed for their influence.
However Jill seems to have clocked him.
Yes, I agree, that's what I think it means too. I've never seen it
written, but when I've heard it, the first word is usually given a
French pronunciation, and the second rhymed with breeze, so I've always
assumed the spelling would be grise.
It's definitely spelled éminence grise and you're both right about what
it means.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I agree: Toby might be such, with even Pip being unaware of how he's
changing her character (and - quite possibly - himself being unaware
both of his influence and possibly even of the character trait itself).
Yes, Jill is a wise old bird at times.
I have a nasty feeling that the SWs are doing unto Pip as they have done
unto Helen, and made her a chameleon, who has no character of her own
but simply reflects her current boyfriend's attitudes.

When she was going out with Jude, she was as irresponsible and
self-centred as him. She then started going out with Spencer, who was
considered a "good influence" and she became as responsible and
committed a farmer as he was. This continued with Matthew but then, as
soon as she got together with Toby, she reverted to the person she was
when she was with Jude, and is echoing all Toby's attitudes.

I do hope that the SWs don't think this is standard for most young women.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But I'm still whooshed by the Steve reference ...
and likewise...
She didn't know it couldn't be done, so she went ahead and did it (Anon)
Peter Percival
2017-04-17 15:32:28 UTC
Post by Btms
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"
Whoosh!
Sincerely Chris
Et moi
+1! (And unless it's part of the bit I'm not getting, the
usual _pronunciation_, at least, suggests it's "grise" [not
that I know what gender "eminence" is].)
I miss the e off the end. I understand it to mean a shadowy
figure (grey) who is influential upon others but not noticed for
their influence. However Jill seems to have clocked him.
Yes, I agree, that's what I think it means too. I've never seen it
written, but when I've heard it, the first word is usually given a
French pronunciation, and the second rhymed with breeze, so I've
always assumed the spelling would be grise.
It's definitely spelled éminence grise and you're both right about
what it means.
I deg to biffer. The grise doesn't refer to shadowiness, but rather the
grey habits worn by the Capuchins. That's grey in the sense of "more
brown than grey really", think cappuccino. The aforementioned Francois
Leclerc du Tremblay was a Capuchin friar.
2017-04-17 16:57:03 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But I'm still whooshed by the Steve reference ...
and likewise...
I believe the grise is a mataphor. So I am right 🤓
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Btms
2017-04-17 17:05:14 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But I'm still whooshed by the Steve reference ...
and likewise...
I believe the grise is a mataphor. So I am right 🤓
Though more properly a metaphor; she added hastily, as she noticed the
punsters hurrying towards her.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Mike
2017-04-17 17:14:01 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But I'm still whooshed by the Steve reference ...
and likewise...
I believe the grise is a mataphor. So I am right 🤓
Though more properly a metaphor; she added hastily, as she noticed the
punsters hurrying towards her.
Is a mataphor anything like a matador, cos, if it is the Tony's bull thread
is up there ^ somewhere.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Penny
2017-04-17 18:43:24 UTC
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 17:05:14 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
I believe the grise is a mataphor. So I am right ?
Though more properly a metaphor; she added hastily, as she noticed the
punsters hurrying towards her.
If I'm hurrying towards you it is with a hatchet - would it help you with
snipping? ;)
2017-04-17 19:14:51 UTC
I believe the grise is a mataphor. So I am right ?
Though more properly a metaphor; she added hastily, as she noticed the
punsters hurrying towards her.
If I'm hurrying towards you it is with a hatchet - would it help you with
snipping? ;)
No it wouldn't because I snip all the time but it seems ignored, allegedly.
Looks fine this end.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Serena Blanchflower
2017-04-17 17:41:05 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But I'm still whooshed by the Steve reference ...
and likewise...
I believe the grise is a mataphor. So I am right 🤓
You had even mentioned the essential greyness, in your original post.
Respect the wide diversity among us in our lives and relationships.
Refrain from making prejudiced judgments about the life journeys of
others. (Quaker Advices and Queries #22)
Btms
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Btms
2017-04-17 16:56:59 UTC
Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

[]
.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But I'm still whooshed by the Steve reference ...
and likewise...
Maybe not standard but not unusual unfortunately. Unfortunately.....for
all sorts of reasons.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-04-17 18:29:27 UTC
In message <hN-***@brightview.co.uk>, Serena
Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> writes:
I have a nasty feeling that the SWs are doing unto Pip as they have
done unto Helen, and made her a chameleon, who has no character of her
own but simply reflects her current boyfriend's attitudes.
When she was going out with Jude, she was as irresponsible and
self-centred as him. She then started going out with Spencer, who was
considered a "good influence" and she became as responsible and
committed a farmer as he was. This continued with Matthew but then, as
soon as she got together with Toby, she reverted to the person she was
when she was with Jude, and is echoing all Toby's attitudes.
I do hope that the SWs don't think this is standard for most young women.
I don't think so: they don't seem to have done it with Alice or Lily.
But now you point it out, with Jude, Spenser, and Toby (and Rex,
briefly), you do seem to have hit on something; it's a _plausible_
character trait. I still think her _underlying_ character is bright and
sensible, but it does seem well buried at the moment.
The "not having told us earlier" is of course _not_ her fault, but the
SW's; she made several attempts over at _least_ the last week if not
longer, but they interrupted her on each occasion (even inventing a
tractor at one point).
But I'm still whooshed by the Steve reference ...
and likewise...
And me!

"The great tragedy of science, the slaying of a beautiful theory by an ugly
fact. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Serena Blanchflower
2017-04-17 19:04:14 UTC
But I'm still whooshed by the Steve reference ...
and likewise...
And me!
I'm glad to hear it, considering it was you who was originally whooshed
by the Steve reference ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains
a fool forever. (Old Chinese saying)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-04-17 20:57:18 UTC
But I'm still whooshed by the Steve reference ...
and likewise...
And me!
I'm glad to hear it, considering it was you who was originally whooshed
by the Steve reference ;)
Oops! Well, I'm consistent.

Will the person who originally raised "Steve" (or anyone else, for that
matter!) please put us out of our misery?

"Look, if it'll help you to do what I tell you, baby, imagine that I've got a
blaster ray in my hand." "Uh - you _have_ got a blaster ray in your hand." "So
you shouldn't have to tax your imagination too hard." (Link episode)
Mike Ruddock
2017-04-18 09:02:46 UTC
But I'm still whooshed by the Steve reference ...
and likewise...
And me!
I'm glad to hear it, considering it was you who was originally
whooshed by the Steve reference ;)
Oops! Well, I'm consistent.
Will the person who originally raised "Steve" (or anyone else, for that
matter!) please put us out of our misery?
Well, when I saw it I was puzzled too. I can only think that it might
be a reference to Steve Hilton who was reputedly a man who pulled
Cameron's strings before he upped sticks and moved the California. As it
happens there is a piece about Steve Hilton in The Guardian edition
published on Saturday. You can find it on Page 35 of the print edition.
Other Steves may be available.

Mike Ruddock

---
2017-04-18 10:46:54 UTC
Steve Hilton who was reputedly a man who pulled Cameron's strings before
he upped sticks and moved the California.
Didn't his partner used to be involved in running Uber?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Nick Odell

And now I don't know what the original comment was !
Btms
2017-04-18 16:20:59 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:

And now I don't know what the original comment was !
'twas I. I suggested Toby was an eminence grise & it was followed up with
the suggestion we should now call him Steve . However, nobody seems to know
what this links to. Or to what this links, if you prefer 😄
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-04-18 19:51:04 UTC
In message
And now I don't know what the original comment was !
'twas I. I suggested Toby was an eminence grise & it was followed up with
the suggestion we should now call him Steve . However, nobody seems to know
what this links to. Or to what this links, if you prefer 0 >
Yes, we got the eminence grise bit, from you, but we didn't get the
Steve followup! Will the original poster _of that_ explain for us (-:?
3

Everything will be all right in the end. And if everything isn't all right,
then it isn't the end. - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011)
Peter Percival
2017-04-18 20:11:19 UTC
In message
And now I don't know what the original comment was !
'twas I. I suggested Toby was an eminence grise & it was followed up with
the suggestion we should now call him Steve . However, nobody seems to know
what this links to. Or to what this links, if you prefer 0 >
Yes, we got the eminence grise bit, from you, but we didn't get the
Steve followup! Will the original poster _of that_ explain for us (-:?
Have we not been told that the intended Steve is Bannon advisor to Trump?
to me what you really mean.
Peter Percival
2017-04-18 20:42:01 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
And now I don't know what the original comment was !
'twas I. I suggested Toby was an eminence grise & it was followed up with
the suggestion we should now call him Steve . However, nobody seems to know
what this links to. Or to what this links, if you prefer 0 >
Yes, we got the eminence grise bit, from you, but we didn't get the
Steve followup! Will the original poster _of that_ explain for us (-:?
Have we not been told that the intended Steve is Bannon advisor to Trump?
May my ill-manners be forgiven. I meant Mr Bannon advisor to President
Trump.
to me what you really mean.
2017-04-18 20:31:35 UTC
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 20:51:04 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Yes, we got the eminence grise bit, from you, but we didn't get the
Steve followup! Will the original poster _of that_ explain for us (-:?
He did. ^^^
Jane Vernon
2017-04-19 07:39:08 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Yes, we got the eminence grise bit, from you, but we didn't get the
Steve followup! Will the original poster _of that_ explain for us (-:?
He did. ^^^
Well, some of his posts are not getting through to this end, then, as I
certainly haven't seen any kind of explanation. Might someone whose
posts I am seeing be kind enough to repeat the explanation?

It does happen, posts not getting through, or arriving here later than
replies.
--
Jane
BTME

2017-04-19 08:16:14 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Yes, we got the eminence grise bit, from you, but we didn't get the
Steve followup! Will the original poster _of that_ explain for us (-:?
He did. ^^^
Well, some of his posts are not getting through to this end, then, as I
certainly haven't seen any kind of explanation. Might someone whose
posts I am seeing be kind enough to repeat the explanation?
All Nick said was Bannon. While I'm vaguely aware of who Steve Bannon is
it's still a bit of a whoosh for me.
2017-04-19 11:54:04 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Yes, we got the eminence grise bit, from you, but we didn't get the
Steve followup! Will the original poster _of that_ explain for us (-:?
He did. ^^^
Well, some of his posts are not getting through to this end, then, as I
certainly haven't seen any kind of explanation. Might someone whose
posts I am seeing be kind enough to repeat the explanation?
All Nick said was Bannon. While I'm vaguely aware of who Steve Bannon is
it's still a bit of a whoosh for me.
Steve Bannon is allegedly the eminence grise behind Pres. Trump,
although there have been recent reports that he's falling out of favour.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-04-19 20:46:56 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Yes, we got the eminence grise bit, from you, but we didn't get the
Steve followup! Will the original poster _of that_ explain for us (-:?
He did. ^^^
Well, some of his posts are not getting through to this end, then, as I
certainly haven't seen any kind of explanation. Might someone whose
posts I am seeing be kind enough to repeat the explanation?
All Nick said was Bannon. While I'm vaguely aware of who Steve Bannon is
it's still a bit of a whoosh for me.
Steve Bannon is allegedly the eminence grise behind Pres. Trump,
although there have been recent reports that he's falling out of favour.
Ah, the penny drops! (No, not you, Penny.) Thanks.

Jane Vernon

2017-04-17 21:37:08 UTC
Is a bit of an eminence gris.
Perhaps we ought to nickname him "Steve"
(No offence intended to any Steves hereabouts)
Nick
Nick please explain!!!!
tiny.cc/KRWpics