Annual leave
2017-08-02 22:08:55 UTC
I'm heading off for a few days and, for the first time in a long time,
will be travelling with only a single phone & tablet and leaving the
laptop at home, so no umra. I will, however, be travelling with G&T
and a towel and have packed ear plugs, so you can be as noisy as you
like.

I'm off North of the Wall to see, amongst other things, a man from
Down Under complaining that Doctor Who ruined his life. Also Ed
Byrne, Michael Brandon, a talk about Angela Brazil, a modern day G&S,
an improvised James Bond story and assorted undisclosed items.
Clive Arthur
2017-08-02 22:37:53 UTC
Post by Fenny
I'm heading off for a few days and, for the first time in a long time,
will be travelling with only a single phone & tablet and leaving the
laptop at home, so no umra. I will, however, be travelling with G&T
and a towel and have packed ear plugs, so you can be as noisy as you
like.
I'm off North of the Wall to see, amongst other things, a man from
Down Under complaining that Doctor Who ruined his life. Also Ed
Byrne, Michael Brandon, a talk about Angela Brazil, a modern day G&S,
an improvised James Bond story and assorted undisclosed items.
At least it's stopped raining...

http://worldcams.tv/cities/edinburgh-royal-mile

Cheers
Clive
steveski
2017-08-02 23:24:36 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Fenny
I'm heading off for a few days and, for the first time in a long time,
will be travelling with only a single phone & tablet and leaving the
laptop at home, so no umra. I will, however, be travelling with G&T
and a towel and have packed ear plugs, so you can be as noisy as you
like.
I'm off North of the Wall to see, amongst other things, a man from Down
Under complaining that Doctor Who ruined his life. Also Ed Byrne,
Michael Brandon, a talk about Angela Brazil, a modern day G&S, an
improvised James Bond story and assorted undisclosed items.
At least it's stopped raining...
http://worldcams.tv/cities/edinburgh-royal-mile
I'm impressed and gratified that you know where your towel is . . .

:-)
2017-08-02 23:55:51 UTC
I'm impressed and gratified that you know where your towel is . . .
:-)
I always know where my towel is. It just might be somewhere else!
2017-08-03 08:04:17 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Fenny
I'm heading off for a few days and, for the first time in a long time,
will be travelling with only a single phone & tablet and leaving the
laptop at home, so no umra. I will, however, be travelling with G&T
and a towel and have packed ear plugs, so you can be as noisy as you
like.
I'm off North of the Wall to see, amongst other things, a man from Down
Under complaining that Doctor Who ruined his life. Also Ed Byrne,
Michael Brandon, a talk about Angela Brazil, a modern day G&S, an
improvised James Bond story and assorted undisclosed items.
At least it's stopped raining...
http://worldcams.tv/cities/edinburgh-royal-mile
I'm impressed and gratified that you know where your towel is . . .
:-)
I expect she was a Prefect a few years ago.....
2017-08-03 06:41:07 UTC
Post by Fenny
I'm heading off for a few days and, for the first time in a long time,
will be travelling with only a single phone & tablet and leaving the
laptop at home, so no umra. I will, however, be travelling with G&T
and a towel and have packed ear plugs, so you can be as noisy as you
like.
[]
Glad you'll know where your towel is, but am a little puzzled re G&T -
plenty of ice and lemon to go with I assume?

"Bother," said Pooh, as he fell off the bridge with his stick.
krw
2017-08-03 10:30:35 UTC
Post by Fenny
I'm heading off for a few days and, for the first time in a long time,
will be travelling with only a single phone & tablet and leaving the
laptop at home, so no umra.  I will, however, be travelling with G&T
and a towel and have packed ear plugs, so you can be as noisy as you
like.
[]
Glad you'll know where your towel is, but am a little puzzled re G&T -
plenty of ice and lemon to go with I assume?
There seems to be a thing about gin at the moment - a form of alcohol on
with which I cannot get.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Penny
2017-08-03 11:43:45 UTC
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 11:30:35 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
There seems to be a thing about gin at the moment - a form of alcohol on
with which I cannot get.
I've never liked it, I think it's the juniper flavour, but it seems the
'new gin' is all about different botanicals so presumably, like whisk(e)y
(which I do, but not all of it) it comes in different flavours.

I find I'm getting fussier^W more discerning as I age. I know exactly how I
like my tea, and which brews I favour, so the offer of a cup of tea is no
longer a definite 'yes'.
I was disappointed when we met in the Coffeeshop in Shrewsbury the other
day that they didn't have a Darjeeling on the menu. They do use nice little
strainer pots with loose leaf tea but I had to ask for a saucer to put the
strainer/container on when it had brewed to my taste.
2017-08-03 12:18:12 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
There seems to be a thing about gin at the moment - a form of alcohol on
with which I cannot get.
I've never liked it, I think it's the juniper flavour, but it seems the
'new gin' is all about different botanicals so presumably, like whisk(e)y
(which I do, but not all of it) it comes in different flavours.
I find I'm getting fussier^W more discerning as I age. I know exactly how I
like my tea, and which brews I favour, so the offer of a cup of tea is no
longer a definite 'yes'.
I was disappointed when we met in the Coffeeshop in Shrewsbury the other
day that they didn't have a Darjeeling on the menu. They do use nice little
strainer pots with loose leaf tea but I had to ask for a saucer to put the
strainer/container on when it had brewed to my taste.
Genever, cold from the fridge and drunk neat, is nice.
2017-08-03 13:12:43 UTC
On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 13:18:12 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Post by Penny
dust...
Post by krw
There seems to be a thing about gin at the moment - a form of alcohol on
with which I cannot get.
I've never liked it, I think it's the juniper flavour, but it seems the
'new gin' is all about different botanicals so presumably, like whisk(e)y
(which I do, but not all of it) it comes in different flavours.
I find I'm getting fussier^W more discerning as I age. I know exactly how I
like my tea, and which brews I favour, so the offer of a cup of tea is no
longer a definite 'yes'.
I was disappointed when we met in the Coffeeshop in Shrewsbury the other
day that they didn't have a Darjeeling on the menu. They do use nice little
strainer pots with loose leaf tea but I had to ask for a saucer to put the
strainer/container on when it had brewed to my taste.
Genever, cold from the fridge and drunk neat, is nice.
But Genever *is* juniper.
2017-08-03 14:09:33 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Post by Penny
dust...
Post by krw
There seems to be a thing about gin at the moment - a form of alcohol on
with which I cannot get.
I've never liked it, I think it's the juniper flavour, but it seems the
'new gin' is all about different botanicals so presumably, like whisk(e)y
(which I do, but not all of it) it comes in different flavours.
I find I'm getting fussier^W more discerning as I age. I know exactly how I
like my tea, and which brews I favour, so the offer of a cup of tea is no
longer a definite 'yes'.
I was disappointed when we met in the Coffeeshop in Shrewsbury the other
day that they didn't have a Darjeeling on the menu. They do use nice little
strainer pots with loose leaf tea but I had to ask for a saucer to put the
strainer/container on when it had brewed to my taste.
Genever, cold from the fridge and drunk neat, is nice.
But Genever *is* juniper.
Is that a convention?
2017-08-03 23:46:59 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Post by Penny
dust...
Post by krw
[...]
Dono: van was it held?

Upon the hill ?
Btms
2017-08-03 18:44:22 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
There seems to be a thing about gin at the moment - a form of alcohol on
with which I cannot get.
I've never liked it, I think it's the juniper flavour, but it seems the
I've never liked any of the common high-alcohol substances - gin,
whisky, brandy, vodka, and so on; to me, they - even the posh ones, like
single malts - just taste (and, in particular smell) of the alcohol, the
solvent. Including whichever one (vodka?) is often said to have no
taste.

I like some of what my mum called "stickies" - liqueurs and some similar
substances - though I suspect I like them despite the alcohol.
Post by Penny
'new gin' is all about different botanicals so presumably, like whisk(e)y
(which I do, but not all of it) it comes in different flavours.
I doubt any of the extra ingredients would disguise the basic
smell/taste for me. (And I'm not happy about trying to _disguise_ it
anyway.)
Post by Penny
I find I'm getting fussier^W more discerning as I age. I know exactly how I
I'm definitely getting - well, I was going to say fussier, but I'd say
less willing to expend time trying things; I'm still willing to try, but
require more convincing that the time expended on the trying will be
worth it than I was when younger.
Post by Penny
like my tea, and which brews I favour, so the offer of a cup of tea is no
longer a definite 'yes'.
(I put so much sugar [or sweetener] and milk in tea and coffee that I am
fairly immune to the fine nuances of the different types - other than
that I really dislike Earl Grey [I think the smell is a major factor
there]. I must have already mentioned that I _prefer_ instant coffee.)
Post by Penny
I was disappointed when we met in the Coffeeshop in Shrewsbury the other
day that they didn't have a Darjeeling on the menu. They do use nice little
strainer pots with loose leaf tea but I had to ask for a saucer to put the
strainer/container on when it had brewed to my taste.
That does sound as if the policy has been adopted more as a gimmick than
something thought through, I'm sure.

... she has never contracted A-listeria or developed airs and graces. Kathy
Lette on Kylie, RT 2014/1/11-17
Penny
2017-08-03 20:36:46 UTC
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 19:44:22 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I was disappointed when we met in the Coffeeshop in Shrewsbury the other
day that they didn't have a Darjeeling on the menu. They do use nice little
strainer pots with loose leaf tea but I had to ask for a saucer to put the
strainer/container on when it had brewed to my taste.
That does sound as if the policy has been adopted more as a gimmick than
something thought through, I'm sure.
I don't think so, what was produced on request was a tiny ceramic plate
just the right size for the purpose - and I caught it just right, a very
pleasant drink.
2017-08-03 22:09:59 UTC
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 19:44:22 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I was disappointed when we met in the Coffeeshop in Shrewsbury the other
day that they didn't have a Darjeeling on the menu. They do use nice little
strainer pots with loose leaf tea but I had to ask for a saucer to put the
strainer/container on when it had brewed to my taste.
That does sound as if the policy has been adopted more as a gimmick than
something thought through, I'm sure.
I don't think so, what was produced on request was a tiny ceramic plate
just the right size for the purpose - and I caught it just right, a very
pleasant drink.
In which case, one wonders why - if they're doing strainer pots - they
don't provide that utensil as a matter of course, rather than only to
those who ask for it.

one can't go from `supposed crackpot ideas have been right before' to `we
should
take this latest crackpot idea onboard without making it fight for acceptance
like all the previous ones'. - Richard Caley, 2002 February 11 00:02:28
Penny
2017-08-03 23:39:00 UTC
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 23:09:59 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 19:44:22 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I was disappointed when we met in the Coffeeshop in Shrewsbury the other
day that they didn't have a Darjeeling on the menu. They do use nice little
strainer pots with loose leaf tea but I had to ask for a saucer to put the
strainer/container on when it had brewed to my taste.
That does sound as if the policy has been adopted more as a gimmick than
something thought through, I'm sure.
I don't think so, what was produced on request was a tiny ceramic plate
just the right size for the purpose - and I caught it just right, a very
pleasant drink.
In which case, one wonders why - if they're doing strainer pots - they
don't provide that utensil as a matter of course, rather than only to
those who ask for it.
It's a coffee shop, they may not be used to customers who don't drink
coffee and are fussy about over-brewed tea.
2017-08-03 23:48:19 UTC
On Thu, 3 Aug 2017 19:44:22 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I was disappointed when we met in the Coffeeshop in Shrewsbury the other
day that they didn't have a Darjeeling on the menu. They do use nice little
strainer pots with loose leaf tea but I had to ask for a saucer to put the
strainer/container on when it had brewed to my taste.
That does sound as if the policy has been adopted more as a gimmick than
something thought through, I'm sure.
I don't think so, what was produced on request was a tiny ceramic plate
just the right size for the purpose - and I caught it just right, a very
pleasant drink.
Ooops sorry for the echo I introduced up there...

2017-08-03 23:45:11 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
There seems to be a thing about gin at the moment - a form of alcohol on
with which I cannot get.
I've never liked it, I think it's the juniper flavour, but it seems the
'new gin' is all about different botanicals so presumably, like whisk(e)y
(which I do, but not all of it) it comes in different flavours.
I find I'm getting fussier^W more discerning as I age. I know exactly how I
like my tea, and which brews I favour, so the offer of a cup of tea is no
longer a definite 'yes'.
I was disappointed when we met in the Coffeeshop in Shrewsbury the other
day that they didn't have a Darjeeling on the menu. They do use nice little
strainer pots with loose leaf tea but I had to ask for a saucer to put the
strainer/container on when it had brewed to my taste.
What they supplied was a special little tea-strainer holder so they were
obvously prepared. A pity they didn't issue it at the same time as all
the other stuff, really.

2017-08-03 16:18:44 UTC
Post by Fenny
I'm heading off for a few days and, for the first time in a long time,
will be travelling with only a single phone & tablet and leaving the
laptop at home, so no umra. I will, however, be travelling with G&T
and a towel and have packed ear plugs, so you can be as noisy as you
like.
[]
Glad you'll know where your towel is, but am a little puzzled re G&T -
plenty of ice and lemon to go with I assume?
There seems to be a thing about gin at the moment - a form of alcohol on
with which I cannot get.
Me neither, not when there are so many wonderful single malts to try.
2017-08-03 16:25:39 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Fenny
I'm heading off for a few days and, for the first time in a long time,
will be travelling with only a single phone & tablet and leaving the
laptop at home, so no umra. I will, however, be travelling with G&T
and a towel and have packed ear plugs, so you can be as noisy as you
like.
[]
Glad you'll know where your towel is, but am a little puzzled re G&T -
plenty of ice and lemon to go with I assume?
There seems to be a thing about gin at the moment - a form of alcohol on
with which I cannot get.
Me neither, not when there are so many wonderful single malts to try.
I only drink doubles. 😋

IGMC
2017-08-03 18:46:34 UTC
In message
[]
Post by LFS
Post by krw
There seems to be a thing about gin at the moment - a form of alcohol on
with which I cannot get.
Me neither, not when there are so many wonderful single malts to try.
I only drink doubles. 0 >
IGMC
I must have mentioned before the colleague from work who sent the
department a postcard from a Scottish holiday, saying he was touring the
glens - Morangie, Fiddich, ... [actually not those but you get the
idea].

'It works for me' is not the same as it isn't broke - Kenn Villegas, 2010-2-19
in
https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/why-the-windows-registry-sucks-
technically/
LFS
2017-08-04 07:06:34 UTC
In message
[]
Post by LFS
Post by krw
There seems to be a thing about gin at the moment - a form of alcohol on
with which I cannot get.
Me neither, not when there are so many wonderful single malts to try.
I only drink doubles. 0 >
IGMC
I must have mentioned before the colleague from work who sent the
department a postcard from a Scottish holiday, saying he was touring the
glens - Morangie, Fiddich, ... [actually not those but you get the idea].
In a normal pub with a limited range of malts, my usual reply to the
question of what I would like to drink is "Anything with a glen in it."
2017-08-03 10:29:35 UTC
Post by Fenny
I'm heading off for a few days and, for the first time in a long time,
will be travelling with only a single phone & tablet and leaving the
laptop at home, so no umra. I will, however, be travelling with G&T
and a towel and have packed ear plugs, so you can be as noisy as you
like.
I'm off North of the Wall to see, amongst other things, a man from
Down Under complaining that Doctor Who ruined his life. Also Ed
Byrne, Michael Brandon, a talk about Angela Brazil, a modern day G&S,
an improvised James Bond story and assorted undisclosed items.
I just get back and there you go disappearing!
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Fenny
2017-08-06 19:56:47 UTC
Post by Fenny
I'm heading off for a few days and, for the first time in a long time,
will be travelling with only a single phone & tablet and leaving the
laptop at home, so no umra. I will, however, be travelling with G&T
and a towel and have packed ear plugs, so you can be as noisy as you
like.
I'm off North of the Wall to see, amongst other things, a man from
Down Under complaining that Doctor Who ruined his life. Also Ed
Byrne, Michael Brandon, a talk about Angela Brazil, a modern day G&S,
an improvised James Bond story and assorted undisclosed items.
I just get back and there you go disappearing!
Well, I'm back now and reunited with my laptop. Lots of fab shows and
one very not fab one.
2017-08-06 23:36:21 UTC
On Sun, 06 Aug 2017 20:56:47 +0100, Fenny <***@removethis.onetel.net>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Post by Fenny
I'm off North of the Wall to see, amongst other things, a man from
Down Under complaining that Doctor Who ruined his life. Also Ed
Byrne, Michael Brandon, a talk about Angela Brazil, a modern day G&S,
an improvised James Bond story and assorted undisclosed items.
I just get back and there you go disappearing!
Well, I'm back now and reunited with my laptop. Lots of fab shows and
one very not fab one.
And how was the chap who doesn't quite look like David Tennant?
2017-08-07 21:10:33 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Post by Fenny
I'm off North of the Wall to see, amongst other things, a man from
Down Under complaining that Doctor Who ruined his life. Also Ed
Byrne, Michael Brandon, a talk about Angela Brazil, a modern day G&S,
an improvised James Bond story and assorted undisclosed items.
I just get back and there you go disappearing!
Well, I'm back now and reunited with my laptop. Lots of fab shows and
one very not fab one.
And how was the chap who doesn't quite look like David Tennant?
Very good. Still doing the dead Sean Bean line that I cheer loudly.
2017-08-07 08:55:02 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Post by Fenny
I'm heading off for a few days and, for the first time in a long time,
will be travelling with only a single phone & tablet and leaving the
laptop at home, so no umra. I will, however, be travelling with G&T
and a towel and have packed ear plugs, so you can be as noisy as you
like.
I'm off North of the Wall to see, amongst other things, a man from
Down Under complaining that Doctor Who ruined his life. Also Ed
Byrne, Michael Brandon, a talk about Angela Brazil, a modern day G&S,
an improvised James Bond story and assorted undisclosed items.
I just get back and there you go disappearing!
Well, I'm back now and reunited with my laptop. Lots of fab shows and
one very not fab one.
I've just looked in again after a brief absence and, although Steveski
and Mike lent a little respectability to the business, I am shocked to
discover that no one - no one! - has used the word "frood" in response
to your feedline.

Honestly, I turn my back for a minute...
2017-08-07 21:11:35 UTC
On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 09:55:02 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
I've just looked in again after a brief absence and, although Steveski
and Mike lent a little respectability to the business, I am shocked to
discover that no one - no one! - has used the word "frood" in response
to your feedline.
Honestly, I turn my back for a minute...
You just can't get the geeks these days!
2017-08-07 22:39:09 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Post by Fenny
[...]
Thank you Sid, but BELGIUM, man - what about 'hoopy'? You stupid Ghent.