uK named gales
2017-09-12 13:00:15 UTC
I see the next two are Brian and Caroline. I only looked it up as I
misheard Aileen as Eileen.

2017-09-12 13:18:55 UTC
I see the next two are Brian and Caroline. I only looked it up as I
misheard Aileen as Eileen.
Sincerely Chris
Didn't those two create a bit of a storm a while back?

2017-09-12 13:23:57 UTC
I see the next two are Brian and Caroline. I only looked it up as I
misheard Aileen as Eileen.
Has there ever been one named Gail?
2017-09-12 13:32:23 UTC
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 14:23:57 +0100, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
I see the next two are Brian and Caroline. I only looked it up as I
misheard Aileen as Eileen.
Has there ever been one named Gail?
UK Met Office only started naming them in 2015. I'd expect them to ignore
Gail/Gale as potentially confusing.

There's a list here
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_storm_naming_in_the_United_Kingdom_and_Ireland#Winter_storm_names>
She'll be Georgina this year.
2017-09-12 19:00:21 UTC
I see the next two are Brian and Caroline. I only looked it up as I
misheard Aileen as Eileen.
Has there ever been one named Gail?
UK Met Office only started naming them in 2015. I'd expect them to ignore
Gail/Gale as potentially confusing.
[]
Someone on PM - I think it was Eddie Mair - said (introducing the
weather forecaster I think) that only bad weather has names, or
something like that. Made me think it'd be nice to have a named nice
spell.

"The wish of the lazy to allow unsupervised access [to the internet] to their
children should not reduce all adults browsing to the level of suitability for a
five-year-old." Yaman Akdeniz, quoted in Inter//face (The Times, 1999-2-10): p12
Fenny
2017-09-13 17:14:58 UTC
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 20:00:21 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I see the next two are Brian and Caroline. I only looked it up as I
misheard Aileen as Eileen.
Has there ever been one named Gail?
UK Met Office only started naming them in 2015. I'd expect them to ignore
Gail/Gale as potentially confusing.
[]
Someone on PM - I think it was Eddie Mair - said (introducing the
weather forecaster I think) that only bad weather has names, or
something like that. Made me think it'd be nice to have a named nice
spell.
That would mean we were expecting nice weather! If we had a list of
names for nice spells, you could guarantee we'd never get past
"Beatrice".
2017-09-13 19:09:00 UTC
Post by Fenny
On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 20:00:21 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I see the next two are Brian and Caroline. I only looked it up as I
misheard Aileen as Eileen.
Well, I was thinking this morning, when the TV weatherperson mentioned
it, that it was a poor choice, leading as it does to uncertainty in
those who hear it.
Post by Fenny
Has there ever been one named Gail?
UK Met Office only started naming them in 2015. I'd expect them to ignore
Gail/Gale as potentially confusing.
[]
Someone on PM - I think it was Eddie Mair - said (introducing the
weather forecaster I think) that only bad weather has names, or
something like that. Made me think it'd be nice to have a named nice
spell.
That would mean we were expecting nice weather! If we had a list of
names for nice spells, you could guarantee we'd never get past
"Beatrice".
(-: [Depends how they were subdivided, of course.]

Where [other presenters] tackle the world with a box of watercolours, he
takes a spanner. - David Butcher (on Guy Martin), RT 2015/1/31-2/6