ukra tv club
2017-09-02 16:50:42 UTC
I've been watching Education Manchester on the ch 4 player and felt
worried about film crews with cameras recording such personal and
vulnerable moments of the school children.

One boy was a year 7 Syrian refugee, recently arrived, aged 11, and
being bullied. They showed how it was dealt with and how he managed
over the next terms. Some children were at the concert in Manchester
where the bomb attack took place and they filmed them describing how
they felt. One older Syrian boy was waiting to know if he and his
family would get leave to remain in the UK.

The 11 year-ld was in a special education class and to m,ake him feel
relaxed and more at home he was asked questions about Islam and led
the group in an enactment of how to pray. I was quite uncomfortable
with the others, who were a little amused and maybe embarassed,
following him to do this. I felt it was maybe disrespectful to the
religion and maybe making fun of the boy.

There was another incident where the children wrote on the dust of a
van parked on school property and the headmaster told those who had
done this to go to his room and the youngest, who had been doing it,
including the 11 year-old boy, didn't go.

The rest got a stern telling-off. I felt it was making a big deal out
of an incident not wirth it. I suppose people might say you need to
enforce good behaviour in small things too. But I also felt it unfair
to have cameras record the children being told off.

Did anyone else watch the programme, and, if so, what do you think? I
think I watched an earlier similar one in another school but found it
less intrusive into the children's private experience.
2017-09-02 16:55:22 UTC
On Sat, 02 Sep 2017 17:50:42 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
Sorry, EducaTING Manchester

I should have said the staff did have very good aims and stragegies
for helping all the children deal with the differences in backgrounds
of the school and local population. They wanted the incomers to
settle in and do well and the UK born to be helped to deal with any
worries and feelings about it.
2017-09-02 19:45:43 UTC
Post by Vicky
Sorry, EducaTING Manchester
I should have said the staff did have very good aims and stragegies
for helping all the children deal with the differences in backgrounds
of the school and local population. They wanted the incomers to
settle in and do well and the UK born to be helped to deal with any
worries and feelings about it.
Perceived difference often invites bullying or rejection. I am sure ianoiu
as being too often seen as different. It started with being left handed
but somehow the pattern continued; and still does.