umra book club -Georgette Heyer fans
2018-09-06 10:43:42 UTC
One of the ways she is better than anyone else, in my opinion, at
writing period remance is she gets the language right, and almost
invented what we think of as right for Regency times. But I just came
across a what might be an error. Is pop-off Regency language or might
it be an editing error? It is in Fredericia. Mrs Dauntry is talking to
Alverstoke about bringing out her daughter early as the Queen in not
in good health and debutants get presented.
"the dear Queen's health is now so indifferent that she may pop-off at
any moment!

What do you think?
Nick Odell
2018-09-06 10:57:15 UTC
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pop%20off

N.
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-06 16:53:25 UTC
On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 11:57:15 +0100, Nick Odell
One of the ways she is better than anyone else, in my opinion, at
writing period remance is she gets the language right, and almost
invented what we think of as right for Regency times. But I just came
across a what might be an error. Is pop-off Regency language or might
it be an editing error? It is in Fredericia. Mrs Dauntry is talking to
Alverstoke about bringing out her daughter early as the Queen in not
in good health and debutants get presented.
"the dear Queen's health is now so indifferent that she may pop-off at
any moment!
What do you think?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pop%20off
N.
First Known Use of pop off
1764

Thank you. My faith is restored.
Sid Nuncius
2018-09-07 08:34:27 UTC
One of the ways she is better than anyone else, in my opinion, at
writing period remance is she gets the language right, and almost
invented what we think of as right for Regency times.
For books set in that sort of period (roughly 1800-1816) may I just put
in a word for Patrick O'Brian (again)? His use of language, both in his
narrative and in the mouths of his characters is an unmitigated joy
throughout.

(Not to mention addictively readable stories and superbly painted
characters. I read all 20 Aubrey/Maturin books for the third time over
the summer; I was hopelessly hooked and enjoyed them just as much as the
first two times.)

Er...that's it. I'll get me pea-jacket.
2018-09-07 11:05:35 UTC
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 09:34:27 +0100, Sid Nuncius
One of the ways she is better than anyone else, in my opinion, at
writing period remance is she gets the language right, and almost
invented what we think of as right for Regency times.
For books set in that sort of period (roughly 1800-1816) may I just put
in a word for Patrick O'Brian (again)? His use of language, both in his
narrative and in the mouths of his characters is an unmitigated joy
throughout.
(Not to mention addictively readable stories and superbly painted
characters. I read all 20 Aubrey/Maturin books for the third time over
the summer; I was hopelessly hooked and enjoyed them just as much as the
first two times.)
Er...that's it. I'll get me pea-jacket.
Sid, his are hardly the same genre!
I tried M.C Beaton as a Regency Romance but failed to get to the end.
It was rubbish. I will try one of her detective ones. The Miser of
Mayfair has characters I didn't want to spend more time with and a
story line I didn't care about.