UMRA birthday info for 10 September 2018
Add Reply
Birthday Monitor
2018-09-10 06:11:02 UTC
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
2018-09-10 06:17:23 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Happy birthday, MOPsMobs!
vk
2018-09-10 07:32:48 UTC
+ 1
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-10 07:41:07 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Happy birthday, MOPsMobs!
+ 1
Treat day planned :). Swim but no gym, already done. Collecting 3
year old granddaughter after her first day at new nursery, as only for
2 hours today. Going to Brent Cross to have lunch with her and buy new
shoes. Unfortunately mum specified exactly which shoes but we will
hope granddaughter likes those... Then later grandson and mum will
come home and we'll all have a birthday curry.
Btms
2018-09-11 13:57:13 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Happy birthday, MOPsMobs!
And from here.
2018-09-10 07:26:06 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
HB umrats all!
2018-09-10 07:37:57 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Many happies to one and all!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. (Carroll Bryant)
Jane Vernon
2018-09-10 07:53:11 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Many Happy Returns, umrats all!
--
Jane
BTME

2018-09-10 08:03:12 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
As I reach platinum status, can I send best wishes to all those
celebrating simultaneously.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-09-10 08:14:12 UTC
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 06:11:02 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Gosh, I recall we did a poll some years ago to test the theory of the
number of people you need in a room to find two with the same birthday -
I've a feeling this lead to the umra birthday monitor - but I hadn't
remembered we had so many with the same birthday.

Many happies to all!
Nick Leverton
2018-09-10 13:59:36 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Gosh, I recall we did a poll some years ago to test the theory of the
number of people you need in a room to find two with the same birthday -
I've a feeling this lead to the umra birthday monitor - but I hadn't
remembered we had so many with the same birthday.
That does ring a bell, so I was inspired by your recollection to try
to track down the history of the Birthday service, perhaps even that
original poll. I know that I usurped Roger Firedrake as UBM in 2003.
Research shows he in turn superseded AJW as Official Non-Monitor in 2001,
and added the character birthday announcements to the List.

In the thread below, you did some sterling work in collating Umra and
Archers birthday dates yourself :)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.media.radio.archers/%22umra-bday-monitor%22$20AND$20before$3A2001$2F06$2F01|sort:date/uk.media.radio.archers/JaciVLStNsc/OYKUuhorjBQJ>

I've traced AJW's birthday announcements a further month back to May 1999
and to a thread titled "Popping" where manyrats added themselves to the
list, but from the thread context he was clearly already regarded as
official Birthday Monitor before that.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.media.radio.archers/birthday$20AND$20monitor$20AND$20before$3A1999$2F06$2F01%7Csort:date>

At this point the trail runs cold on Birthday announcements, no matter
how I adjust the search terms. However I think the following may be
the posting where it all started, halfway down a 360-message thread from
October 1998 entitled "Ambridge Rose". The subject of shared birthdays
in Umra comes up as an example of everyday coincidences and probabilities,
just one branch of a widely swerving^W ranging discussion ...
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/uk.media.radio.archers/w27LIoH0Xzo%5B176-200%5D>

So next month will see the 20th anniversary of the Umra birthday service.
Gosh indeed !

2018-09-11 11:16:54 UTC
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 13:59:36 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton <***@leverton.org>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Gosh, I recall we did a poll some years ago to test the theory of the
number of people you need in a room to find two with the same birthday -
I've a feeling this lead to the umra birthday monitor - but I hadn't
remembered we had so many with the same birthday.
That does ring a bell, so I was inspired by your recollection to try
to track down the history of the Birthday service, perhaps even that
original poll. I know that I usurped Roger Firedrake as UBM in 2003.
Research shows he in turn superseded AJW as Official Non-Monitor in 2001,
and added the character birthday announcements to the List.
---8<---
Good sleuthing - lovely to be reminded of all those familiar names :)
2018-09-10 18:00:09 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Gosh, I recall we did a poll some years ago to test the theory of the
number of people you need in a room to find two with the same birthday -
To be sure, about 366; to have better than evens chance 23. There must
be many times that many UMRAts - plus all the Ambridgeans (I think
someone recently totted it up and got seventysomething of those).
Post by Penny
I've a feeling this lead to the umra birthday monitor - but I hadn't
remembered we had so many with the same birthday.
Many happies to all!
Indeed!

"He hasn't one redeeming vice." - Oscar Wilde
Jenny M Benson
2018-09-10 08:41:47 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Now there's a fine clutch! Many happy returns to you all.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
SODAM
2018-09-10 08:49:52 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
A veritable bouquet of birthdays! Many happy returns of the day to umrats
one and all and an incomparable year to come.

<fx sound of trumpets, bells, loud huzzahs and the glug of virtual
champagne being poured.>
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-10 08:54:18 UTC
Many happies, Ben, Chris and David.
Jim Easterbrook
2018-09-10 09:24:48 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Many happies, Ben, Chris and David.
I was about to write "and what about Vicky? What's she done to upset
you?" when I realised who had posted this.

Happy birthday to all four of you.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Kate B
2018-09-10 11:41:10 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Hugely happy hippos to all! What a glorious conjuncture!
2018-09-10 13:57:09 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Happy birthday to you all.
2018-09-11 13:57:13 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Hippy day
b***@gmail.com
2018-09-19 02:08:50 UTC
Thanks!
BrritSki
2018-09-19 05:43:16 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 September: Ben Blaney, Chris J Dixon, David
Medcalf and Vicky.
Thanks!
Hello Ben, I didn't see you over there !

Hope you stay....