Is there anybody there?
2018-03-04 23:27:59 UTC
Can anybody hear me?

I've sent several messages today but, whilst I've seen them appear in my
umra inbox, they don't appear in Google and I suspect I'm talking to
myself :(

I'm on Eternal September so I'm wondering if only ES subscribers can see
this or whther I'm completely cut off from the world.

Nick
Chris Brown
2018-03-04 23:41:54 UTC
On 04/03/2018 23:27, Nick Odell wrote:
> Can anybody hear me?
>
> I've sent several messages today but, whilst I've seen them appear in my
> umra inbox, they don't appear in Google and I suspect I'm talking to
> myself :(
>
> I'm on Eternal September so I'm wondering if only ES subscribers can see
> this or whther I'm completely cut off from the world.

Delurking to say I too am on ES and I can see this, which probably isn't
very helpful.

My posts aren't making it to Google either.

Chris
vk
2018-03-05 08:07:25 UTC

<waves>
Nick Odell
2018-03-05 01:49:47 UTC

2018-03-05 17:25:41 UTC
On 05-Mar-18 01:49 AM, Nick Odell wrote:
> I suspect then that our posts aren't making it anywhere else either.
>
> Welcome to the militant eternal septemberist faction of umra!

I'm with (not in!) Berlin and I can see you!

Kosmo
2018-03-06 06:58:43 UTC
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 01:49:47 +0000, Nick Odell
<***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
> I suspect then that our posts aren't making it anywhere else either.

I can see you in Sri Lanka.

Kosmo
Btms
2018-03-05 15:02:24 UTC
Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
> Chris Brown wrote:
>
>> On 04/03/2018 23:27, Nick Odell wrote:
>>> Can anybody hear me?
>>>
>>> I've sent several messages today but, whilst I've seen them appear in my
>>> umra inbox, they don't appear in Google and I suspect I'm talking to
>>> myself :(
>>>
>>> I'm on Eternal September so I'm wondering if only ES subscribers can see
>>> this or whther I'm completely cut off from the world.
>>
>> Delurking to say I too am on ES and I can see this, which probably isn't
>> very helpful.
>>
>> My posts aren't making it to Google either.
>
> Well, at least we can talk to each other. ;-)
>
> I have been with ES ever since Virgin ditched their own news
> servers, but I have to say that after quite a few recent
> problems, I am thinking of joining those on Berlin.
>
> Chris

We have been with ES for ages. It is mostly reliable ime.

2018-03-05 14:54:39 UTC

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-03-05 17:43:04 UTC
Nick Odell <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
> Can anybody hear me?
>
> I've sent several messages today but, whilst I've seen them appear in my
> umra inbox, they don't appear in Google and I suspect I'm talking to
> myself :(
>
> I'm on Eternal September so I'm wondering if only ES subscribers can see
> this or whther I'm completely cut off from the world.
>
> Nick

We use the virginmedia newsserver and can see you clearly.

Marmaduke Jinks
2018-03-05 17:45:20 UTC
"Nick Odell" <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote in message
> Can anybody hear me?
>
> I've sent several messages today but, whilst I've seen them appear in my
> umra inbox, they don't appear in Google and I suspect I'm talking to
> myself :(
>
> I'm on Eternal September so I'm wondering if only ES subscribers can see
> this or whther I'm completely cut off from the world.
>
> Nick

I had the same issue yesterday - posts sent and seemingly appearing on the
newsgroup but not when I checked via Google Groups.

They have now appeared with their original send times/dates.

I did check ES yesterday but there was no mention of a time out.

MJ
Penny
2018-03-05 18:04:57 UTC
On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 23:27:59 +0000, Nick Odell
<***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...

>Can anybody hear me?
>
>I've sent several messages today but, whilst I've seen them appear in my
>umra inbox, they don't appear in Google and I suspect I'm talking to
>myself :(
>
>I'm on Eternal September so I'm wondering if only ES subscribers can see
>this or whther I'm completely cut off from the world.

I've seen several posts from you today, at least two of which were
duplicated. I'm on plusnet as usual.
2018-03-05 21:25:32 UTC
On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 18:04:57 +0000, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 23:27:59 +0000, Nick Odell
><***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>>Can anybody hear me?
>>
>>I've sent several messages today but, whilst I've seen them appear in my
>>umra inbox, they don't appear in Google and I suspect I'm talking to
>>myself :(
>>
>>I'm on Eternal September so I'm wondering if only ES subscribers can see
>>this or whther I'm completely cut off from the world.
>
>I've seen several posts from you today, at least two of which were
>duplicated. I'm on plusnet as usual.

I'm on Berlin and for me the ES posts from 4/3 appeared today.

2018-03-06 01:01:28 UTC
On 05/03/18 18:04, Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 23:27:59 +0000, Nick Odell
> <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> Can anybody hear me?
>>
>> I've sent several messages today but, whilst I've seen them appear in my
>> umra inbox, they don't appear in Google and I suspect I'm talking to
>> myself :(
>>
>> I'm on Eternal September so I'm wondering if only ES subscribers can see
>> this or whther I'm completely cut off from the world.
>
> I've seen several posts from you today, at least two of which were
> duplicated. I'm on plusnet as usual.

I was surprised to find I can reach my Plusnet webspace from over here
because I hadn't thought it was accessible from outside the network.
When I get a moment I might try and use the Plusnet settings for usenet
and see if that also works. Though I have a feeling that I mihgt have
tried that a year or so ago and found that it didn't.

2018-03-06 10:32:38 UTC
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 01:01:28 +0000, Nick Odell
<***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...

>I was surprised to find I can reach my Plusnet webspace from over here
>because I hadn't thought it was accessible from outside the network.
>When I get a moment I might try and use the Plusnet settings for usenet
>and see if that also works. Though I have a feeling that I mihgt have
>tried that a year or so ago and found that it didn't.

Doubtful, I recall being somewhat annoyed to find d#2, who is an annual
switcher, had gone back to Sky or BT at the time she asked me to stay and
help out for some weeks a few years back. I was hoping to catch up with
umra and rejoin but I couldn't access it from her house :(
2018-03-06 12:48:25 UTC
On 06/03/18 10:32, Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 01:01:28 +0000, Nick Odell
> <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> I was surprised to find I can reach my Plusnet webspace from over here
>> because I hadn't thought it was accessible from outside the network.
>> When I get a moment I might try and use the Plusnet settings for usenet
>> and see if that also works. Though I have a feeling that I mihgt have
>> tried that a year or so ago and found that it didn't.
>
> Doubtful, I recall being somewhat annoyed to find d#2, who is an annual
> switcher, had gone back to Sky or BT at the time she asked me to stay and
> help out for some weeks a few years back. I was hoping to catch up with
> umra and rejoin but I couldn't access it from her house :(

Fortunately, I fended off a similar attempt by my younger son a few
weeks ago. "You don't mind if I cancel Plusnet and go with Talk-Talk, do
you?"

Nooooooooooo! Not only do I have email addresses, aliases and goodness
knows what organised on Plusnet, before I left the UK, I had some
introduction cards specially printed - all with Plusnet contact details.

Nick
Marmaduke Jinks
2018-03-06 13:12:05 UTC
> On 05/03/18 18:04, Penny wrote:
>> On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 23:27:59 +0000, Nick Odell
>> <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...
>>
>>> Can anybody hear me?
>>>
>>> I've sent several messages today but, whilst I've seen them appear in my
>>> umra inbox, they don't appear in Google and I suspect I'm talking to
>>> myself :(
>>>
>>> I'm on Eternal September so I'm wondering if only ES subscribers can see
>>> this or whther I'm completely cut off from the world.
>>
>> I've seen several posts from you today, at least two of which were
>> duplicated. I'm on plusnet as usual.
>>
> I was surprised to find I can reach my Plusnet webspace from over here
> because I hadn't thought it was accessible from outside the network. When
> I get a moment I might try and use the Plusnet settings for usenet and see
> if that also works. Though I have a feeling that I mihgt have tried that a
> year or so ago and found that it didn't.
>
> Nick

I'm on Plusnet via John Lewis. There's a different login and password for
the usenet group servers to the main one. I also subscribed to eternal
september when the Plusnet/JLP news groups were "playing up" a year or two
ago. I use both. ES certainly had an issue on Sunday.

MJ