Farming Today, the powers that be could have done so many benefit to the community stories
2017-02-18 10:20:18 UTC
Farming Today was about the loss of services like surgeries and
hospitals, which umrats have commented on. Instead of months of
mierery and a disservice to abused women they could have got several
stories out of the closure of a local hospital or surgery or bus route
and how the many elderly people in the area and the mothers and
children have problems when needing care.

There could have been a fight to prevent Justin and Co turning a
surgery into flats, or a hospital into a hotel. Fallon and Kirsty
could hav eled the march to stop the bull dozers.

I like real relevant to farming stories. I live in an area with nice
parks and woods but not really the country. We have all the facilities
here. I do like reading and hearing about the places our food grows
and lives and the people who work in those places. i think lots of
people do for similar reasons. Nostalgia, sentimentality, whatever. A
wish to in that way get closer to the country.
2017-02-18 10:34:49 UTC
Post by Vicky
[...]
I dont disagree but just to say we live in the sticks but the services we
experience are much better than those we had in Surrey.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Fenny
2017-02-18 10:38:33 UTC
Post by Vicky
[...]
But is there still a GP surgery in Ambridge? I thought it had already
been closed down and sold off. There isn't even a school bus any
more. And apart from Jack, the youngest child in the village must be
Poppy Grundy, who seems to have disappeared completely.

They did plenty about the closure of the village shop and turning it
into a community shop. Even the story about Justin wanting to sponsor
the new village hall turned into them rennovating it as a community
project (although I don't think we heard much about it other than Neil
was organising everything, Eddie was doing the work and somebody made
curtains).

I don't think there's really much left in the village to close down or
get rid of, apart from the Bull. We heard the Cat & Fiddle closed
some years ago.
2017-02-18 11:15:39 UTC
Post by Fenny
But is there still a GP surgery in Ambridge? I thought it had already
been closed down and sold off. There isn't even a school bus any
more. And apart from Jack, the youngest child in the village must be
Poppy Grundy, who seems to have disappeared completely.
Last heard of just before 11/11?
2017-02-18 12:02:37 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Vicky
[...]
They chose not to go with a plot line for The Bull acting as a shop or the
PO when they were closing the shop/PO

2017-02-18 13:54:55 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Vicky
[...]
Sincerely Chris
And there are now two shops - one of which was ruled illegal some years
ago due to problems with the turn in off the road.

And why is Ambridge Organics not doing mail order?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Vicky
2017-02-18 18:10:32 UTC
And why is Ambridge Organics not doing mail order?
Would you need a bigger source of products to do that? And a bigger
operation to do packing and posting? And Susan might not be able to
cope with a bigger flow of packages. When B did second-hand books and
later postcards, some years ago, the local PO got very grumpy about a
few packages, not even more than two or three at a time.
2017-02-18 20:07:33 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by krw
And why is Ambridge Organics not doing mail order?
Would you need a bigger source of products to do that? And a bigger
operation to do packing and posting? And Susan might not be able to
cope with a bigger flow of packages. When B did second-hand books and
later postcards, some years ago, the local PO got very grumpy about a
few packages, not even more than two or three at a time.
If they did mail order, they wouldn't be sending packages from the
local PO. They would either take them into Borchester sorting office
in bulk or use some non-PO contract delivery service.
2017-02-18 19:27:48 UTC
And why is Ambridge Organics not doing mail order?
The Ambridge business I'd expect to be doing mail order would be
Fallon's upcycling. I'd have thought that she would be selling her
smaller projects through eBay, even if she didn't have her own website yet.
Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist,
but you have ceased to live.
(Mark Twain)
krw
2017-02-19 11:19:28 UTC
And why is Ambridge Organics not doing mail order?
The Ambridge business I'd expect to be doing mail order would be
Fallon's upcycling. I'd have thought that she would be selling her
smaller projects through eBay, even if she didn't have her own website yet.
We ought to write the script, far more realistic
tiny.cc/KRWpics
carolet
2017-02-22 13:55:30 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Vicky
[...]
I don't think there has been a GP surgery in Ambridge since Tim Hathaway
left. That must have been about 15 years ago.

I have a feeling that during Tim's time as the Ambridge doctor, the
doctor and the vicar shared premises in some way. Janet Fisher was
living on her own at the vicarage, but perhaps she thought it was too
big for one. Perhaps the surgery had already been sold and Janet and Tim
came to an arrangement that he should use part of the vicarage for that
purpose. Does that ring a bell with anyone? I must say that I cannot
find anything in writing that supports this idea.

---
2017-02-22 14:21:30 UTC
I don't think there has been a GP surgery in Ambridge since Tim Hathaway
left. That must have been about 15 years ago.
That reminds me, I don't think we heard anything about where Ruairi is
at school since he started boarding. That was at a prep school and, as
he's now 14, he must have changed schools since then. Presumably, this
was one of the many stories that SO'C didn't want to be bothered with.

I'd have expected Brian to want to send him to Sherborne, in his wake (I
can't remember, did Adam go there?), while Jenny would have wanted him
somewhere closer to home.
Post by carolet
I have a feeling that during Tim's time as the Ambridge doctor, the
doctor and the vicar shared premises in some way. Janet Fisher was
living on her own at the vicarage, but perhaps she thought it was too
big for one. Perhaps the surgery had already been sold and Janet and Tim
came to an arrangement that he should use part of the vicarage for that
purpose. Does that ring a bell with anyone? I must say that I cannot
find anything in writing that supports this idea.
Yes, that rings a bell with me, too. I can't remember why/when the
original surgery was sold but I'm pretty sure that it moved into the
vicarage. As you said, there weren't any further GPs in Ambridge after
that.
It's not a bug; it's an undocumented feature.
krw
2017-02-22 15:45:08 UTC
I don't think there has been a GP surgery in Ambridge since Tim Hathaway
left. That must have been about 15 years ago.
That reminds me, I don't think we heard anything about where Ruairi is
at school since he started boarding. That was at a prep school and, as
he's now 14, he must have changed schools since then. Presumably, this
was one of the many stories that SO'C didn't want to be bothered with.
I'd have expected Brian to want to send him to Sherborne, in his wake (I
can't remember, did Adam go there?), while Jenny would have wanted him
somewhere closer to home.
Adam did go to Sherborne. I think Ruari went to a school in the same
general area. It was not named. SoC has almost forgotten Ruari - with
only an odd mention.
I have a feeling that during Tim's time as the Ambridge doctor, the
doctor and the vicar shared premises in some way. Janet Fisher was
living on her own at the vicarage, but perhaps she thought it was too
big for one. Perhaps the surgery had already been sold and Janet and Tim
came to an arrangement that he should use part of the vicarage for that
purpose. Does that ring a bell with anyone? I must say that I cannot
find anything in writing that supports this idea.
Yes, that rings a bell with me, too. I can't remember why/when the
original surgery was sold but I'm pretty sure that it moved into the
vicarage. As you said, there weren't any further GPs in Ambridge after
that.
The vicarage was sold after Robin Stokes left - Janet Fisher was housed
in Darrington as she was already vicar of that parish when appointed.
Tim Hathaway used the vicarage as converted by Doc Locke. Due to
Darrington vicarage falling down or some such Alan Franks arranged to
buy back the Ambridge vicarage (I think it was also by the diocese for
some children family holidays or something after the Hathaways left, so
perhaps the church never sold it). Alan and Usha live there now.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
carolet
2017-02-24 21:46:42 UTC
[...]
Ah yes. I misread the appropriate Who's Who, it does say that she lived
in the Darrington Vicarage. In that case, did Janet have an office in
the surgery for use in relation to Ambridge Affairs?

---
2017-02-25 14:02:59 UTC
I misread the appropriate Who's Who, it does say that she lived in the
Darrington Vicarage. In that case, did Janet have an office in the
surgery for use in relation to Ambridge Affairs?
Not that I am aware. I suspect she used the vestry.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Serena Blanchflower
2017-02-25 14:47:37 UTC
Ah yes. I misread the appropriate Who's Who, it does say that she lived
in the Darrington Vicarage. In that case, did Janet have an office in
the surgery for use in relation to Ambridge Affairs?
I can't remember for certain but yes, I think so. IIRC, that was how
she and Tim Hathaway became so close, as they regularly saw each other
at work.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too
dark to read. (Groucho Marx)
Penny
2017-02-22 15:48:05 UTC
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 14:21:30 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
That reminds me, I don't think we heard anything about where Ruairi is
at school since he started boarding. That was at a prep school and, as
he's now 14, he must have changed schools since then. Presumably, this
was one of the many stories that SO'C didn't want to be bothered with.
Some schools take children aged 3-18. I checked Ampleforth (is Ruari
Catholic?) who take boarders from the age of 8.

In fact Sherborne take children 2.5-13 in their prep school, again boarding
from 8.
2017-02-18 13:52:49 UTC
Post by Vicky
bus route
Repetition. They do that one every few years. Seemingly having
forgotten the previous withdrawal.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike McMillan
2017-02-18 14:26:39 UTC
Post by Vicky
bus route
Repetition. They do that one every few years. Seemingly having
forgotten the previous withdrawal.
The Archivist would have mentioned the repetition, but didn't want to
interruptus.
Peter Percival
2017-02-18 15:12:06 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
bus route
Repetition. They do that one every few years. Seemingly having
forgotten the previous withdrawal.
The Archivist would have mentioned the repetition, but didn't want to
interruptus.
YAHumph&ICMprizes
to me what you really mean.