The bells! The bells!
Add Reply
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-06-13 18:49:58 UTC
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something really simple.
BrritSki
2018-06-13 19:56:37 UTC
What is simpler than a bell ? ;)
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-13 20:37:36 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something really simple.
They might attract experienced ringers? Poach some or some dormant
ones.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-14 09:10:53 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to
recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be
implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something
really simple.
"Ring something simple" - wasn't there a prog. (Sunday early evenings)
with a title something like that (-:?

# 10^-12 boos = 1 picoboo # 2*10^3 mockingbirds = 2 kilo mockingbird
# 10^21 piccolos = 1 gigolo # 10^12 microphones = 1 megaphone
# 10**9 questions = 1 gigawhat
Mike
2018-06-14 11:04:51 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to
recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be
implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something
really simple.
"Ring something simple" - wasn't there a prog. (Sunday early evenings)
with a title something like that (-:?
I expect training courses are going like the clappers.
2018-06-14 18:34:34 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to
recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be
implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something
really simple.
"Ring something simple" - wasn't there a prog. (Sunday early evenings)
with a title something like that (-:?
Sing Something Simple. Mad dash for the off button.
Chris B
2018-06-14 18:38:33 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to
recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be
implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something
really simple.
"Ring something simple" - wasn't there a prog. (Sunday early evenings)
with a title something like that (-:?
Sing Something Simple. Mad dash for the off button.
Just like that other old favourite "Poetry Click"
Chris B (News)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-14 19:16:17 UTC
Post by Chris B
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to
recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be
implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something
really simple.
"Ring something simple" - wasn't there a prog. (Sunday early evenings)
with a title something like that (-:?
Sing Something Simple. Mad dash for the off button.
Just like that other old favourite "Poetry Click"
And that TV soap, Neigh-clunk.

You know what the big secret about posh people is? Most of them are lovely.
- Richard Osman, RT 2016/7/9-15
Mike Headon
2018-06-16 13:55:00 UTC
Post by Chris B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to
recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be
implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something
really simple.
"Ring something simple" - wasn't there a prog. (Sunday early evenings)
with a title something like that (-:?
 Sing Something Simple.  Mad dash for the off button.
Just like that other old favourite "Poetry Click"
And that TV soap, Neigh-clunk.
And, going back a few years - The Billy Click show.
--
Mike Headon
R69S R850R

---
2018-06-14 19:15:19 UTC
In message
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to
recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be
implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something
really simple.
"Ring something simple" - wasn't there a prog. (Sunday early evenings)
with a title something like that (-:?
Sing Something Simple. Mad dash for the off button.
I was being facetious, I remembered the name very well, as well as the
loathing it provoked in lots of people (and I think others liked it
too).

Is it even _possible_ to ring something simple?

It occurs to me that there must have been some very dodgy ringing on and
just after armistice day, as the ringers wouldn't have been able to
practice.

You know what the big secret about posh people is? Most of them are lovely.
- Richard Osman, RT 2016/7/9-15
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-06-14 21:11:08 UTC
Those at home could practice on silenced bells. My father began learning in WW2 in that way but it did not retain his interest. But he passed away Ringing book on to me.
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-06-14 21:22:59 UTC
Those at home could practice on silenced bells. My father began learning in WW2 in that way but it did not retain his interest. But he passed a Ringing book on to me.
Chris J Dixon
2018-06-15 06:59:29 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Those at home could practice on silenced bells. My father began learning in WW2 in that way but it did not retain his interest. But he passed a Ringing book on to me.
Once, on a working trip to Glasgow, we had time to fill before
some overnight runs with a test train. I accompanied my boss (a
keen ringer) to a tower where the bells were silenced, but there
were a set of small and tinny repeaters in the chamber - a
bizarre experience.

***@cdixon.me.uk
Plant amazing Acers.
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
We are a 21st century tower here! There are detectors in the bell-chamber and bell-like noises from a computer in the ringing chamber.
Nick Odell
2018-06-14 21:26:56 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to
recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be
implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something
really simple.
"Ring something simple" - wasn't there a prog. (Sunday early evenings)
with a title something like that (-:?
Sing Something Simple. Mad dash for the off button.
IIRC Dead Ringers performed a hilarious skit on Sing Something Simple.
The Cliff Adama Singers had all been fired and in order to earn a living
had resorted to armed robbery

Nick
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-06-15 10:21:00 UTC
And there's always the Wagner opera "The Masterringers of Nuremberg"
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-06-16 15:00:46 UTC
Specifically, the list of mastersong modes that David recites to Walther in Act I scene 2 always reminds me of a list of Methods.
the Omrud
2018-06-17 18:31:05 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something really simple.
<Sings>

Ring something simple,
As cares go by.
Ring something simple,
Just you and Ambridge.
David
the Omrud
2018-06-17 18:32:00 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to
recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be
implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something
really simple.
<Sings>
Ring something simple,
As cares go by.
Ring something simple,
Just you and Ambridge.
Ooops, sorry, should read ahead. Am catching up after a couple of weeks
in France.
David
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-06-19 21:44:04 UTC
The Prestbury ringers were discussing this after Practice tonight and general opinion was that such quick training of beginners is impossible.
Penny
2018-06-20 08:47:24 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something really simple.
The Prestbury ringers were discussing this after Practice tonight and general opinion was that such quick training of beginners is impossible.
Living across the road from a church for 30 years, the only time I noticed
their practice nights was when they had new ringers in training - they
agreed to baffle the bells for me.
2018-06-20 13:59:19 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to
recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be
implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something really simple.
The Prestbury ringers were discussing this after Practice tonight and
general opinion was that such quick training of beginners is impossible.
Living across the road from a church for 30 years, the only time I noticed
their practice nights was when they had new ringers in training - they
agreed to baffle the bells for me.
How did they do that? Ask them difficult questions?
2018-06-20 14:07:44 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
I see from the new Radio Times that the Ambridge ringers are to try to
recruit new ringers to ring for Armistice Day. Thta would be
implausibly quick training, unless they propose to ring something really simple.
The Prestbury ringers were discussing this after Practice tonight and
general opinion was that such quick training of beginners is impossible.
Living across the road from a church for 30 years, the only time I noticed
their practice nights was when they had new ringers in training - they
agreed to baffle the bells for me.
How did they do that? Ask them difficult questions?
When I learned to ring I don't remember it being that long before I was
doing it regular - not that we went for huge complicated changes as I
recall. Only 6 bells.
2018-06-20 17:33:45 UTC
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 15:07:44 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
not that we went for huge complicated changes as I
recall. Only 6 bells.
I'd have thought the permutations and combinations of 6 bells could get
quite complicated - 720? Though you get into millions once you have 10 or
more.
2018-06-20 23:33:54 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
not that we went for huge complicated changes as I
recall. Only 6 bells.
I'd have thought the permutations and combinations of 6 bells could get
quite complicated - 720? Though you get into millions once you have 10 or
more.
Did you get that from 6!, i. e. 6×5×4×3×2(×1)? But what makes
change-ringing so complicated is that you can't easily _get_ to all the
combinations: because of the inertia of the bells and their mechanism,
you can generally only change the period of any one bell .by a small
amount: you can go from 87654321 to 87654231, say. So I'm not sure if
all sequences are possible.

(Though thinking about it, they probably are - but you have to sequence
them in a complex order. The bell that rings fifth out of eight can only
move to fourth or sixth on the next peal, or something like that. Sort
of Gray code.)

"On the whole, I'm in favour of the state getting out of people's lives, but I
would not have a problem with voting being made compulsory. But if you did
that, you'd have to have a box for 'None of the above'."
Jeremy Paxman, quoted in RT 2015/5/2-8
Penny
2018-06-21 16:06:07 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 00:33:54 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
dust...
Post by krw
not that we went for huge complicated changes as I
recall. Only 6 bells.
I'd have thought the permutations and combinations of 6 bells could get
quite complicated - 720? Though you get into millions once you have 10 or
more.
Did you get that from 6!, i. e. 6×5×4×3×2(×1)?
Well I would have done but CBA and Wikipedia obliged.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But what makes
change-ringing so complicated is that you can't easily _get_ to all the
combinations: because of the inertia of the bells and their mechanism,
you can generally only change the period of any one bell .by a small
amount: you can go from 87654321 to 87654231, say. So I'm not sure if
all sequences are possible.
I'm inclined to agree although Wikipedia claims 40,320 for 8 bells (and
3,626,800 for 10), as do other sources.

This page https://plus.maths.org/content/ringing-changes has a nice
illustrated piece on the subject, obeying the 'rule' of each bell only
changes places with the bell next to it.
2018-06-23 16:19:07 UTC
Bride 35 minutes late for wedding this pm, to the annoyance òf ringers, rector and organist. Choir not involved.
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-07-07 08:01:00 UTC
A little adventure at Prestbury, which TA might want to duplicate at Ambridge.

Apparently a tank of water on which the organ's humidifier depends has run dry. It lives in the clock-chamber of the tower, the level between the ringing chamber and the bell chamber. I, an organist, a churchwarden and her husband and a retired churchwarden were down there all evening running hoses down the ladders and steps and across the churchyard to a tap. The person who dealt with it last time is away so a great many hoses had to be tried before ones that connected properly were found. A clock-winder who turned up meanwhile had to be turned away.

Perhaps on TA someone could fall off a ladder or the church could be flooded?
Mike
2018-07-07 09:46:08 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
A little adventure at Prestbury, which TA might want to duplicate at Ambridge.
Apparently a tank of water on which the organ's humidifier depends has
run dry. It lives in the clock-chamber of the tower, the level between
the ringing chamber and the bell chamber. I, an organist, a churchwarden
and her husband and a retired churchwarden were down there all evening
running hoses down the ladders and steps and across the churchyard to a
tap. The person who dealt with it last time is away so a great many hoses
had to be tried before ones that connected properly were found. A
clock-winder who turned up meanwhile had to be turned away.
Perhaps on TA someone could fall off a ladder or the church could be flooded?
Round here the mains water pressure probably would reach the tower at the
mo.!☹️☹️
2018-06-21 15:51:13 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
not that we went for huge complicated changes as I
recall. Only 6 bells.
I'd have thought the permutations and combinations of 6 bells could get
quite complicated - 720? Though you get into millions once you have 10 or
more.
Where’s Niles when we need him!