Ask EU: Eternal September in Agent
2017-02-16 01:54:24 UTC
I'm struggling to get my Agent-on-a-stick to work with Eternal
September. Thunderbird-on-a-stick worked fine with it but I just can't
seem to get the settings right for Agent. And my Plusnet usenet works
fine with Agent - provided I'm connected to Plusnet at the time

Would any kind umrat who is using Eternal September on Agent be
willing to let me know what settings you are using, please?

Thanks!

Nick
p***@never.here
2017-02-16 09:11:19 UTC
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 01:54:24 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
I'm struggling to get my Agent-on-a-stick to work with Eternal
September. Thunderbird-on-a-stick worked fine with it but I just can't
seem to get the settings right for Agent. And my Plusnet usenet works
fine with Agent - provided I'm connected to Plusnet at the time
Would any kind umrat who is using Eternal September on Agent be
willing to let me know what settings you are using, please?
Thanks!
Nick
I'm not using it on a usb stick but these are the settings I use on
laptop and PC. . Agent v8.

Host Name; news.eternal-september.org

The server requires a secure connection: unticked.

Login method: user name and password

Under "Advanced settings"

Use non-standard NTTP port; unticked

Any others, please ask.

HTH
Pete
Nick Odell
2017-02-16 10:09:57 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I'm struggling to get my Agent-on-a-stick to work with Eternal
September. Thunderbird-on-a-stick worked fine with it but I just can't
seem to get the settings right for Agent. And my Plusnet usenet works
fine with Agent - provided I'm connected to Plusnet at the time
Would any kind umrat who is using Eternal September on Agent be
willing to let me know what settings you are using, please?
Thanks!
Nick
I'm not using it on a usb stick but these are the settings I use on
laptop and PC. . Agent v8.
Host Name; news.eternal-september.org
The server requires a secure connection: unticked.
Login method: user name and password
Under "Advanced settings"
Use non-standard NTTP port; unticked
Any others, please ask.
HTH
Thanks for that, Pete.

The problem turned out to be a broken connection between brain and
keyboard. I hadn't updated the newsgroup list for the new server. Doh!

I've now got 202581 new headers for de.sci.electronics but have
managed to sample everything else with a manageable 50.

And - lucky umra! - now there's no need for me to fall completely
silent while I'm away for the next week or so.

Thanks again.

Nick
p***@never.here
2017-02-16 12:10:18 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Great news. Glad you got it sorted.

How do you find it running Agent from a usb stick? I assume it is much
slower? I find copying files to a usb stick, even using v3, to be very
slow.

At home, I use the PC all the time and when I'm away, as I am atm,
before I leave I copy the "agent" folder from the PC to laptop.

I'll be interested to hear how it works for you. I could be tempted to
try it.
Pete
Nick Odell
2017-02-16 17:07:51 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
I was using Agent from the HDD of an elderly Win XP machine but have
copied the files from there (see umra passim) to the usb so that a) I
can have the same up-to-date state with my newsgroups wherever I'm
reading them and b) to encourage me to migrate away from that elderly
Win XP machine

I'm using a Kingston DataTraveler Locker +G3 as a password manager -
so I never have to type my details into an unknown machine and I've
loaded Agent into there. It's usb-3 and on newer, faster machines it's
very much faster to use than it was under the old XP but I have no
experience to compare it with Agent running directly from the HDD of a
modern machine.

In fact the speed is a bit of a problem sometimes. Late at night, I'm
prone to doze off for half a second or so with my finger on the space
bar and it can scroll right through all the messages from all the
groups before I can react. If only the undo button could undo further
back....

2017-02-17 10:58:10 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
How do you find it running Agent from a usb stick? I assume it is much
slower? I find copying files to a usb stick, even using v3, to be very
slow.
At home, I use the PC all the time and when I'm away, as I am atm,
before I leave I copy the "agent" folder from the PC to laptop.
Like Nick, I'm trying to wean myself off an old XP netbook. I have my
(ancient) Agent on an SD card in a USB stick style card reader (which I
found in my car-before-last when I bought it). I'm not sure either the
netbook or the PC acquired from Sheffield Uni (they were getting rid) which
is running Win10 has USB2 let alone USB3.

Agent doesn't appear to me to run much slower from the card than it does
from the HD. I'd say give it a try - what do you have to lose?
p***@never.here
2017-02-18 11:10:12 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
How do you find it running Agent from a usb stick? I assume it is much
slower? I find copying files to a usb stick, even using v3, to be very
slow.
At home, I use the PC all the time and when I'm away, as I am atm,
before I leave I copy the "agent" folder from the PC to laptop.
Like Nick, I'm trying to wean myself off an old XP netbook. I have my
(ancient) Agent on an SD card in a USB stick style card reader (which I
found in my car-before-last when I bought it). I'm not sure either the
netbook or the PC acquired from Sheffield Uni (they were getting rid) which
is running Win10 has USB2 let alone USB3.
Agent doesn't appear to me to run much slower from the card than it does
from the HD. I'd say give it a try - what do you have to lose?
Thanks Penny and Nick for your comments.I'll give it a try.. Nothing
to lose, as you say Penny.
Pete
Chris McMillan