Umra Book Club
2017-07-06 05:15:45 UTC
How To Stop Time by Matt Haig is exceptionally good, IMO, and would
appeal to quite a few umrats, I think. Review here if interested:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1G10K9802CHOQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
2017-07-06 08:43:44 UTC
On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 06:15:45 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
How To Stop Time by Matt Haig is exceptionally good, IMO, and would
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1G10K9802CHOQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
I read The Humans by him and wasn't sure I liked it. This story
sounds like a mixture of Highlander and a tv series, Umbrella, where a
man comes back each time he's killed, (swimming naked in the river by
NY) and works as a doctor who does post mortems for the NY police and
works with a police detective, female. He too has been alive for
centuries and had a wife and family but of course others don't survive
as he does. I might be mixing up details with Highlander too :).
2017-07-06 09:54:19 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
How To Stop Time by Matt Haig is exceptionally good, IMO, and would
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1G10K9802CHOQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
I read The Humans by him and wasn't sure I liked it. This story
sounds like a mixture of Highlander and a tv series, Umbrella, where a
man comes back each time he's killed, (swimming naked in the river by
NY) and works as a doctor who does post mortems for the NY police and
works with a police detective, female. He too has been alive for
centuries and had a wife and family but of course others don't survive
as he does. I might be mixing up details with Highlander too :).
Yes, the living-for-centuries idea is an old trope, but this had a fresh
and very humane feel about it to me. I liked the writing and I found
the way he writes about things like history, music and love true,
completely engaging and very touching at times.
2017-07-06 10:35:54 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
How To Stop Time by Matt Haig is exceptionally good, IMO, and would
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1G10K9802CHOQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
I read The Humans by him and wasn't sure I liked it. This story
sounds like a mixture of Highlander and a tv series, Umbrella, where a
man comes back each time he's killed, (swimming naked in the river by
NY) and works as a doctor who does post mortems for the NY police and
works with a police detective, female. He too has been alive for
centuries and had a wife and family but of course others don't survive
as he does. I might be mixing up details with Highlander too :).
Do you mean the 1986 TV Series Umbrella or the more recent Umbrella
Chronicles or is this an Umratic Umbrella?

2017-07-06 11:02:53 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
How To Stop Time by Matt Haig is exceptionally good, IMO, and would
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1G10K9802CHOQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
I read The Humans by him and wasn't sure I liked it. This story
sounds like a mixture of Highlander and a tv series, Umbrella, where a
man comes back each time he's killed, (swimming naked in the river by
NY) and works as a doctor who does post mortems for the NY police and
works with a police detective, female. He too has been alive for
centuries and had a wife and family but of course others don't survive
as he does. I might be mixing up details with Highlander too :).
Do you mean the 1986 TV Series Umbrella or the more recent Umbrella
Chronicles or is this an Umratic Umbrella?
Nick
Google found it, given the outline :)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/Forever