Go Emma!
2017-04-13 10:20:40 UTC
But I wish she'd got the job, saved up and then bought the trampoline,
not got it on the cc and then got a job to pay that off. She did know
the birthdays were coming and could have done it ahead of time.
2017-04-13 15:26:36 UTC
Post by Vicky
But I wish she'd got the job, saved up and then bought the trampoline,
not got it on the cc and then got a job to pay that off. She did know
the birthdays were coming and could have done it ahead of time.
I can't be the only one who can see financial doom heading Emma's way,
as she ends up paying for other things out of her new wages and can
only just manage to pay the minimum on the card each month, thus
racking up huge amounts of interest at 20-some %. By Christmas, they
will be due to be evicted for not being able to pay Oliver.

I would say I think this is a stupid storyline, but I'm not sure that
it's any worse than any of the other current stupid storylines. So,
fairly normal for Ambridge, then!
2017-04-13 15:42:29 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Vicky
But I wish she'd got the job, saved up and then bought the trampoline,
not got it on the cc and then got a job to pay that off. She did know
the birthdays were coming and could have done it ahead of time.
I can't be the only one who can see financial doom heading Emma's way,
as she ends up paying for other things out of her new wages and can
only just manage to pay the minimum on the card each month, thus
racking up huge amounts of interest at 20-some %. By Christmas, they
will be due to be evicted for not being able to pay Oliver.
I would say I think this is a stupid storyline, but I'm not sure that
it's any worse than any of the other current stupid storylines. So,
fairly normal for Ambridge, then!
Yup, 100% certain - can't have any Grundys having an acceptable existence!
2017-04-13 18:23:26 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Vicky
But I wish she'd got the job, saved up and then bought the trampoline,
not got it on the cc and then got a job to pay that off. She did know
the birthdays were coming and could have done it ahead of time.
I can't be the only one who can see financial doom heading Emma's way,
as she ends up paying for other things out of her new wages and can
only just manage to pay the minimum on the card each month, thus
racking up huge amounts of interest at 20-some %. By Christmas, they
will be due to be evicted for not being able to pay Oliver.
I don't think Emma is _necessarily_ that irresponsible: not (as far as
we know) particularly well educated, but still ...
Post by Mike
Post by Fenny
I would say I think this is a stupid storyline, but I'm not sure that
it's any worse than any of the other current stupid storylines. So,
fairly normal for Ambridge, then!
Yup, 100% certain - can't have any Grundys having an acceptable existence!
... there is that aspect, of course.

Every time I think I know where it's at, they move it.
Fenny
2017-04-13 21:28:14 UTC
On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 19:23:26 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Fenny
I can't be the only one who can see financial doom heading Emma's way,
as she ends up paying for other things out of her new wages and can
only just manage to pay the minimum on the card each month, thus
racking up huge amounts of interest at 20-some %. By Christmas, they
will be due to be evicted for not being able to pay Oliver.
I don't think Emma is _necessarily_ that irresponsible: not (as far as
we know) particularly well educated, but still ...
*She* doesn't need to be irresponsible. As the entire family are
clearly living hand to mouth, despite the income they must have, all
it needs is for one minor mishap - Ed's equipment needs fixing (I
mean, 18 grand to fix the Brookfield tractor and rent another one for
a week!!!) or someone doesn't pay Eddie for a large landscaping job
(he is still doing that?) or Clarrie falls off her bike and can't work
or do B&B and they're all up a gum tree without a fiver to buy a
paddle and Emma will end up bailing everyone out. She'll end up
working at the chicken factory every night, working at the tea rooms
all day and cleaning Peggy's place instead of eating.
2017-04-13 22:00:33 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Fenny
[...]
Not forgetting she will be working 24/7 and will have no need of a bed....
2017-04-13 21:02:17 UTC
Post by Vicky
But I wish she'd got the job, saved up and then bought the trampoline,
not got it on the cc and then got a job to pay that off. She did know
the birthdays were coming and could have done it ahead of time.
It would have been better, but I think she was only inspired to get the
job to pay for presents by her recent chat with Peggy.

Perhaps she will put all of her wages into paying of the credit card
debt and clear it by June, as she said. If she then saves what she earns
after that, perhaps she can get through Christmas and next year's
birthday without using a credit card.
2017-04-13 22:39:53 UTC
On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 22:02:17 +0100, carolet
Post by carolet
Post by Vicky
But I wish she'd got the job, saved up and then bought the trampoline,
not got it on the cc and then got a job to pay that off. She did know
the birthdays were coming and could have done it ahead of time.
It would have been better, but I think she was only inspired to get the
job to pay for presents by her recent chat with Peggy.
Perhaps she will put all of her wages into paying of the credit card
debt and clear it by June, as she said. If she then saves what she earns
after that, perhaps she can get through Christmas and next year's
birthday without using a credit card.
Okay, so maybe Emma doesn't get up and boogie to Chaka Khan and sing
"I'm Every Woman" on the Bull Karaoke night but I think she's being
made into an Everywoman character of sorts.

We've been getting lots of news stories about JAM families - the
Just-About Managing and how some of them - many of them - are so hard
pressed that they are falling into the less-acronymatic NRMAAWN Not
Really Managing At All Well Now category who are soon likely to be
singing along to Keb Mo's Flat Broke and Busted.

I think they are probably going to launch a public information
storyline on the back of Emma's imminent misfortunes.

2017-04-14 08:48:49 UTC
Post by carolet
Post by Vicky
[...]
Nick
Oh joy! Another Grundys misery story line and anotehr downer
altogether, but rural workers are in fact having a very tough time.
They can point out all the services being cut and how it affects the
elderly too. If they'd kept Mike and Vicky in Ambridge they could have
shown how the disabled are affected.
2017-04-14 11:38:29 UTC
Post by Vicky
If they'd kept Mike and Vicky in Ambridge they could have
shown how the disabled are affected.
We want them and Hayley back.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
krw
2017-04-14 11:37:59 UTC
I think they are probably going to launch
In slight disagreement I noticed that they were no longer Ed's children
when they were arguing over the trampoline recently.

I foresee a separation and maybe even a dalliance with Will to bring her
to her senses. Also there was a reference a long time ago to another
member of the Grundy family bouncing between two Grundy men - I thought
it would come around again.
tiny.cc/KRWpics