not a spoiler
2017-02-15 22:22:05 UTC
I'm finding I don't fancy listening tonight. After moaning about the
Helen story for months and then coming back because I thought it was
over, now I am finding the programme depressing to listen to. Some
people are never satisfied! :)

I expect someone will post something and I'll want to listen to find
out what happened....I'm not even keen to check the synopsis!
2017-02-15 23:21:41 UTC
Post by Vicky
I'm finding I don't fancy listening tonight. After moaning about the
Helen story for months and then coming back because I thought it was
over, now I am finding the programme depressing to listen to. Some
people are never satisfied! :)
I expect someone will post something and I'll want to listen to find
out what happened....I'm not even keen to check the synopsis!
Jamiroquai seems keen to tie up loose ends and this is keeping the team
occupied at the moment. I am sure stability will return.

I know mixed football teams are not allowed - is it the case that mixed
cricket teams are permitted?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-02-16 08:19:32 UTC
Post by Vicky
I'm finding I don't fancy listening tonight. After moaning about the
Helen story for months and then coming back because I thought it was
over, now I am finding the programme depressing to listen to. Some
people are never satisfied! :)
I expect someone will post something and I'll want to listen to find
out what happened....I'm not even keen to check the synopsis!
Jamiroquai seems keen to tie up loose ends and this is keeping the team
occupied at the moment. I am sure stability will return.
I know mixed football teams are not allowed - is it the case that mixed
cricket teams are permitted?
For poor Kirsty, the ends were not tied up tightly enough.

From the interview I saw with HKW, there seemed some desire to bring more
balance to the stories as a whole. This might have been difficult if
kirsty and Tom continued. He also suggested we may not have seen the last
of Throb. I rather think this will be the case but at a less dominant
level.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
krw
2017-02-16 10:38:43 UTC
This might have been difficult if
kirsty and Tom continued.
It is madness to say that a story could not be found for them. Losing a
baby was not appropriate.

One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.

Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).

Pip is a walking disaster. Josh - nothing. Phoebe - nothing. Dan has
Dorothy (we suppose - but we did not hear it happen). Tom - should have
been settled years ago. Helen - frankly we have heard too much - but
she used other means than a proper relationship for Hoover. And Debbie
would have found someone after Simon.

I do not believe that the younger (and Tom and Kirsty are middle aged)
would not have found partners.

Sorry but the lack of proper families is undermining reality.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Vicky
2017-02-16 18:38:14 UTC
[...]
You've pointed out one of the things that is making this cardboard and
joyless. We want to hear normal, day-to-day, family and farming
stories. A bit of stuff about Josh and his new gf, Tom and his wife
and child, and someone setting up a new farm to ..

What was it this morning on Farming Today? Not in cages, they had to
be happy animals, but what were they? Umbrellas. Nobody has farmed
umbrellas and I have a feeling I didn't fancy eating them but they
can't be in cages or won't get ministry premission. The ministry in
question is happy to discuss and advise on kindly farming. That isn't
the term either.
2017-02-16 21:42:43 UTC
Post by Vicky
You've pointed out one of the things that is making this cardboard and
joyless. We want to hear normal, day-to-day, family and farming
stories. A bit of stuff about Josh and his new gf, Tom and his wife
and child, and someone setting up a new farm to ..
What was it this morning on Farming Today? Not in cages, they had to
be happy animals, but what were they? Umbrellas. Nobody has farmed
umbrellas and I have a feeling I didn't fancy eating them but they
can't be in cages or won't get ministry premission. The ministry in
question is happy to discuss and advise on kindly farming. That isn't
the term either.
It was rabbits. Farming rabbits. That is not common but the ministry
are happy to advise on how to do it acceptably. Not in cages. Maybe
someone in Ambridge should do this? Toby's new venture, and not in
competition with the Grundies. Or Eddy could do it.
2017-02-17 18:20:21 UTC
Post by Vicky
It was rabbits. Farming rabbits.
Ah - now here's an interesting thing about rabbit faeces. Did you know
that rabbits produce two different kinds of droppings, and they eat one
sort so that...

What?

*What*?
2017-02-17 18:35:39 UTC
Post by Vicky
It was rabbits. Farming rabbits.
Ah - now here's an interesting thing about rabbit faeces. Did you know
that rabbits produce two different kinds of droppings, and they eat one
sort so that...
What?
*What*?
Anyone for chocolate sheep droppings?
2017-02-17 18:40:37 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Vicky
It was rabbits. Farming rabbits.
Ah - now here's an interesting thing about rabbit faeces. Did you know
that rabbits produce two different kinds of droppings, and they eat one
sort so that...
What?
*What*?
Anyone for chocolate sheep droppings?
Now, it's funny you should say that, Mike, because sheep droppings have
a very interesting...all right, all right!

There's really no call for that kind of language.
2017-02-18 12:02:38 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Vicky
It was rabbits. Farming rabbits.
Ah - now here's an interesting thing about rabbit faeces. Did you know
that rabbits produce two different kinds of droppings, and they eat one
sort so that...
What?
*What*?
Anyone for chocolate sheep droppings?
Now, it's funny you should say that, Mike, because sheep droppings have
a very interesting...all right, all right!
There's really no call for that kind of language.
If I didn't know from another place that a certain Mrs Sheep is celebrating
her birthday, I'd send Mr Sheep after you lot .............

2017-02-16 19:36:17 UTC
[...]
But it is a well establish difficulty in writing that finding storylines
with interesting content that maintains audience attention after a couple
marry is difficult. Doc Martin is struggling with this.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
krw
2017-02-17 11:26:12 UTC
But it is a well establish difficulty in writing that finding storylines
with interesting content that maintains audience attention after a couple
marry is difficult.
I would refer you to Tim and Sally on Corrie where with some comedy a
generally happy relationship has been established and is being
maintained. She has become a local councillor and he is running the cabs.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-02-17 17:55:37 UTC
But it is a well establish difficulty in writing that finding storylines
with interesting content that maintains audience attention after a couple
marry is difficult.
I would refer you to Tim and Sally on Corrie where with some comedy a
generally happy relationship has been established and is being
maintained. She has become a local councillor and he is running the cabs.
I wasn't saying it couldn't be done. Just that writers find it difficult.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
krw
2017-02-17 22:20:40 UTC
But it is a well establish difficulty in writing that finding storylines
with interesting content that maintains audience attention after a couple
marry is difficult.
I would refer you to Tim and Sally on Corrie where with some comedy a
generally happy relationship has been established and is being
maintained. She has become a local councillor and he is running the cabs.
I wasn't saying it couldn't be done. Just that writers find it difficult.
Find better writers.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-02-18 08:42:24 UTC
But it is a well establish difficulty in writing that finding storylines
with interesting content that maintains audience attention after a couple
marry is difficult.
I would refer you to Tim and Sally on Corrie where with some comedy a
generally happy relationship has been established and is being
maintained. She has become a local councillor and he is running the cabs.
I wasn't saying it couldn't be done. Just that writers find it difficult.
Find better writers.
Steady.......they seem to think they found a better Editor and look what
happened there. We must be careful what we wish for.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Robin Stevens
2017-02-17 00:03:13 UTC
One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.
Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).
Pip is a walking disaster.
That's probably due to David's aversion to Badgers.
Post by krw
Josh - nothing. Phoebe - nothing.
They're still teenagers - surely a bit early for them to be settling down?
Phoebe did have some bloke for a while but broke up with him when he didn't
want her to go to university, IIRC?
Post by krw
Dan has Dorothy (we suppose - but we did not hear it happen). Tom -
should have been settled years ago. Helen - frankly we have heard too
much - but she used other means than a proper relationship for Hoover.
And Debbie would have found someone after Simon.
I do not believe that the younger (and Tom and Kirsty are middle aged)
Really? Damn, I guess that means I am, too.
Post by krw
would not have found partners.
There's Alice and Chris. Not to mention Harrison and Fallon.

There's also perhaps a selection effect, if those who settle down move away
from the village - e.g. James and Leonie, Brenda and some bloke named
Adrian[1], Hayley and whoever her new bloke is. And probably a few around
the village considered too dull to merit microphones.

[1] According to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profiles/2t44jczBCFpczg1377Xk21L/brenda-tucker
Post by krw
Sorry but the lack of proper families is undermining reality.
I don't think it's the worst undermining of reality. But it seems to be
all the rage these days.
BrritSki
2017-02-17 05:19:59 UTC
Post by Robin Stevens
Post by krw
One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.
Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).
Pip is a walking disaster.
That's probably due to David's aversion to Badgers.
Well played Sir ! :)

BTN !!!
Jenny M Benson
2017-02-17 20:36:44 UTC
Post by Robin Stevens
Post by krw
One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.
Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).
Pip is a walking disaster.
That's probably due to David's aversion to Badgers.
Well played Sir ! :)
BTN !!!
I hesitate to say it, given the (accepted BTN, but: whoosh!

- often six furlongs ahead of the field, but on the wrong racecourse. - Colin
Dexter on (his creation the character) Morse; Radio Times 12-18 May 2012.
Btms
2017-02-17 21:11:14 UTC
Post by Robin Stevens
Post by krw
One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.
Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).
Pip is a walking disaster.
That's probably due to David's aversion to Badgers.
Well played Sir ! :)
BTN !!!
I hesitate to say it, given the (accepted BTN, but: whoosh!
Not just me then? 😳
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
BrritSki
Pip Archer is played by Daisy Badger
Btms
2017-02-17 21:23:06 UTC
Post by Robin Stevens
Post by krw
One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.
Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).
Pip is a walking disaster.
That's probably due to David's aversion to Badgers.
Well played Sir ! :)
BTN !!!
I hesitate to say it, given the (accepted BTN, but: whoosh!
Not just me then? 😳
Pip Archer is played by Daisy Badger
But that doesn't create the slightest wince in me! Aiaou
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-02-18 09:11:30 UTC
In message
Post by Robin Stevens
Post by krw
One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.
Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).
Pip is a walking disaster.
That's probably due to David's aversion to Badgers.
Well played Sir ! :)
BTN !!!
I hesitate to say it, given the (accepted BTN, but: whoosh!
Not just me then? 0 >>>
Pip Archer is played by Daisy Badger
Ah! Thanks; light dawns.
Post by Btms
But that doesn't create the slightest wince in me! Aiaou
But it did with David; you maybe weren't listening when David was
involved with the badger incident?

... each generation tends to imagine that its attitude to sex strikes just
about the right balance; that by comparison its predecessors were prim and
embarrassed, its successors sex-obsessed and pornified. - Julian Barnes, Radio
Times 9-15 March 2013
Btms
2017-02-18 09:17:46 UTC
In message
Post by Btms
But that doesn't create the slightest wince in me! Aiaou
But it did with David; you maybe weren't listening when David was
involved with the badger incident?
You mean when he shot it? I can't see any bad taste. No wince factor.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Chris McMillan
2017-02-18 12:02:39 UTC
Post by Robin Stevens
Post by krw
One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.
Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).
Pip is a walking disaster.
That's probably due to David's aversion to Badgers.
Well played Sir ! :)
BTN !!!
I hesitate to say it, given the (accepted BTN, but: whoosh!
Not just me then? 😳
Pip Archer is played by Daisy Badger
Oh *very* clever ..............

2017-02-17 23:10:55 UTC
Post by Robin Stevens
Post by krw
One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.
Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).
Pip is a walking disaster.
That's probably due to David's aversion to Badgers.
Well played Sir ! :)
BTN !!!
I hesitate to say it, given the (accepted BTN, but: whoosh!
Not just me then? 😳
Nor me either as well.
Peter Percival
2017-02-17 23:17:07 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Robin Stevens
Post by krw
One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.
Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).
Pip is a walking disaster.
That's probably due to David's aversion to Badgers.
Well played Sir ! :)
BTN !!!
I hesitate to say it, given the (accepted BTN, but: whoosh!
Not just me then? 😳
Nor me either as well.
Give me your answer do.
to me what you really mean.
2017-02-18 12:02:40 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Robin Stevens
Post by krw
One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.
Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).
Pip is a walking disaster.
That's probably due to David's aversion to Badgers.
Well played Sir ! :)
BTN !!!
I hesitate to say it, given the (accepted BTN, but: whoosh!
Not just me then? 😳
Nor me either as well.
Pip's best friend is of the badger family, and what does David think of
badgers?

2017-02-17 11:26:52 UTC
Post by Robin Stevens
There's Alice and Chris. Not to mention Harrison and Fallon.
Have we heard all four them (or either couple) for any sustained period?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Chris McMillan
2017-02-17 18:10:56 UTC
Post by Robin Stevens
There's Alice and Chris. Not to mention Harrison and Fallon.
Have we heard all four them (or either couple) for any sustained period?
Well not Chris for the Soc years it feels, and Alice rarely. Much more
Carpet and Fallon though.

2017-02-24 22:01:15 UTC
Post by Robin Stevens
There's Alice and Chris. Not to mention Harrison and Fallon.
Have we heard all four them (or either couple) for any sustained period?
Well not Chris for the Soc years it feels, and Alice rarely. Much more
Carpet and Fallon though.
Sincerely Chris
We last heard from Chris in 2014, he spoke during four weeks that year,
all in April.

We heard from Alice during 14 weeks in 2016, none before June, she was
heard from just twice in 2015, but 16 times in 2014.

Fallon was in 27 2016 cast lists, 25 2015 cast lists and 10 2014 cast lists.

There were 9 weeks in 2016 in which we heard from Harrison, 18 weeks in
2015 and 24 in 2014.

(SO'C took charge at the very end of 2013.)

---
2017-02-17 00:12:27 UTC
This might have been difficult if
kirsty and Tom continued.
It is madness to say that a story could not be found for them. Losing
a baby was not appropriate.
Certainly sad (well played by all), and I tend to agree _some_ story
could have been found, but then I'm an old romantic.
Post by krw
One thing which TA struggles with - and has for some years - is the the
younger generation in general meeting and settling down successfully
with a partner.
Are there any young couples (or singles!) in UMRA?
Post by krw
Eventually Ed and Emmur, Will and Nic (I hope - we never hear her).
Pip is a walking disaster. Josh - nothing. Phoebe - nothing. Dan has
Dorothy (we suppose - but we did not hear it happen). Tom - should
have been settled years ago. Helen - frankly we have heard too much -
but she used other means than a proper relationship for Hoover. And
I hope your use of the word "proper" doesn't imply disapproval.
Post by krw
Debbie would have found someone after Simon.
OK, it seems most people _do_ find someone, but I'd like to see the odd
person - and Tom and Debbie would do as well as any - _not_ getting a
partner, and being content. I did; not through any deliberate attempt to
avoid the situation (though a tiny part of me _did_ have cussedness
against social pressures), and on the whole have been happy.
Post by krw
I do not believe that the younger (and Tom and Kirsty are middle aged)
would not have found partners.
Sorry but the lack of proper families is undermining reality.
Really? Isn't that how society is going? (It may be undesirable,
undermining society, but I don't think it's unrealistic, if that's what
you meant by undermining reality.)

A perfectionist takes infinite pains and often gives them to others
Mike McMillan
2017-02-17 08:50:14 UTC
Are there any young couples (or singles!) in UMRA?
Of course there are.... I mean, though I'm 69, Mrs. McToodles is just 21
;-)
Clive Arthur
2017-02-17 15:48:21 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Are there any young couples (or singles!) in UMRA?
Of course there are.... I mean, though I'm 69, Mrs. McToodles is just 21
;-)
But 69 /is/ 21 if you use the right number base, in this case, 34.

Cheers
Clive
Mike McMillan
2017-02-17 15:51:32 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Are there any young couples (or singles!) in UMRA?
Of course there are.... I mean, though I'm 69, Mrs. McToodles is just 21
;-)
But 69 /is/ 21 if you use the right number base, in this case, 34.
Cheers
A man is as old as the woman he feels.
Clive Arthur
2017-02-17 15:54:45 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Are there any young couples (or singles!) in UMRA?
Of course there are.... I mean, though I'm 69, Mrs. McToodles is just 21
;-)
But 69 /is/ 21 if you use the right number base, in this case, 34.
Cheers
A man is as old as the woman he feels.
"But officer, I was only seeking eternal youth!"

Cheers
Clive
Serena Blanchflower
2017-02-17 08:59:38 UTC
This might have been difficult if
kirsty and Tom continued.
It is madness to say that a story could not be found for them. Losing
a baby was not appropriate.
Certainly sad (well played by all), and I tend to agree _some_ story
could have been found, but then I'm an old romantic.
I think the story being lined up is Tom's redemption. He will prove to
be the support which Kirsty comes to rely on, over the coming months,
thus rekindling first her trust and then their romance.

<snip a whole lot of stuff>
Debbie would have found someone after Simon.
I think we've heard of one or two someones since Simon. There was
certainly one chap who came to stay at Home Farm with her, maybe one
Christmas. ISTR she also had a fling with one of the farm workers,
post-Simon and pre-Hungary.
Q. What's purple and shouts "Help"?
A. A damson in distress.
krw
2017-02-17 11:27:57 UTC
Are there any young couples (or singles!) in UMRA?
But we know we are a cul de sac in the development of the www.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Fenny
2017-02-17 00:22:10 UTC
Tom and Kirsty are middle aged)
Tom is about to be 36. Is that now classed as middle aged???
2017-02-17 08:51:36 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Tom and Kirsty are middle aged)
Tom is about to be 36. Is that now classed as middle aged???
Ahem.... certainly not!
2017-02-17 09:00:53 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Tom and Kirsty are middle aged)
Tom is about to be 36. Is that now classed as middle aged???
Well, he's more than half way to his three score years and ten so, if
that doesn't class as middle aged, it can't be far off!
Reset Universe (Y/N) ?
krw
2017-02-17 11:28:30 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Tom and Kirsty are middle aged)
Tom is about to be 36. Is that now classed as middle aged???
Halfway to three score years and ten.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Steve Hague
2017-02-16 11:16:27 UTC
Post by Vicky
I'm finding I don't fancy listening tonight. After moaning about the
Helen story for months and then coming back because I thought it was
over, now I am finding the programme depressing to listen to. Some
people are never satisfied! :)
I expect someone will post something and I'll want to listen to find
out what happened....I'm not even keen to check the synopsis!
Jamiroquai seems keen to tie up loose ends and this is keeping the team
occupied at the moment. I am sure stability will return.
I know mixed football teams are not allowed - is it the case that mixed
cricket teams are permitted?
When I used to play league cricket, one of the teams we played against
had a female member. I don't think there are any rules that stipulate
men only.
2017-02-16 12:05:41 UTC
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 23:21:41 +0000, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
I know mixed football teams are not allowed - is it the case that mixed
cricket teams are permitted?
I think it depends on the local league rules and the age of the players.

When d#2 was playing for Kent under 15s I think the ruling for schools was
under 13s could play mixed games but not older children. The village team
said she couldn't play with them because she was under 16.
2017-02-17 00:16:39 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
I know mixed football teams are not allowed - is it the case that mixed
cricket teams are permitted?
I think it depends on the local league rules and the age of the players.
When d#2 was playing for Kent under 15s I think the ruling for schools was
under 13s could play mixed games but not older children. The village team
said she couldn't play with them because she was under 16.
I'm guessing that the ban (by schools) on older children mixing is not
anything to do with the rules/laws/whatever of Cricket. Not that, AFAIK,
cricket really needs changing rooms unlike [some] other sports.

A perfectionist takes infinite pains and often gives them to others
Penny
2017-02-17 02:17:48 UTC
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 00:16:39 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
dust...
Post by krw
I know mixed football teams are not allowed - is it the case that mixed
cricket teams are permitted?
I think it depends on the local league rules and the age of the players.
When d#2 was playing for Kent under 15s I think the ruling for schools was
under 13s could play mixed games but not older children. The village team
said she couldn't play with them because she was under 16.
I'm guessing that the ban (by schools) on older children mixing is not
anything to do with the rules/laws/whatever of Cricket. Not that, AFAIK,
cricket really needs changing rooms unlike [some] other sports.
I think cricket does need changing rooms - a mixed school would have more
than one.

They attended a weekend inter-county tournament at Ampleforth College once
(and trounced the Yorkshire team but then disgraced themselves when their
coach (a last minute replacement) decided she'd take them to the pub). It's
co-ed these days but they were accommodated in a boys' dorm which looked
pretty ancient and spartan. I don't know what the changing facilities were
like.
2017-02-17 11:29:36 UTC
I don't know what the changing facilities were
like.
Ampleforth can change males to females? Amazing.
tiny.cc/KRWpics