OT: The ransomeware affair
Mike Ruddock
2017-05-14 11:41:57 UTC
We have no doubt all heard about the blogger who spotted an opportunity
to interfere in the spread of the virus/worm (whatever). The news about
this was widely disseminated. at least by the BBC. Was this wise?

The persons responsible for the attack will have immediately looked over
their code, found the error and put it right, thus eliminating one way
of countering the attack.

Daft.

Mike Ruddock
Peter Percival
2017-05-14 11:59:03 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
We have no doubt all heard about the blogger who spotted an opportunity
to interfere in the spread of the virus/worm (whatever). The news about
this was widely disseminated. at least by the BBC. Was this wise?
The persons responsible for the attack will have immediately looked over
their code, found the error and put it right, thus eliminating one way
of countering the attack.
Daft.
Mike Ruddock
Is there any reason to think the story was true?
to me what you really mean.
2017-05-14 12:36:14 UTC
On Sun, 14 May 2017 12:59:03 +0100, Peter Percival
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Mike Ruddock
We have no doubt all heard about the blogger who spotted an opportunity
to interfere in the spread of the virus/worm (whatever). The news about
this was widely disseminated. at least by the BBC. Was this wise?
The persons responsible for the attack will have immediately looked over
their code, found the error and put it right, thus eliminating one way
of countering the attack.
Daft.
Mike Ruddock
Is there any reason to think the story was true?
...which is a good point. CF Nightfighter aircrew eating carrots in
WW2

2017-05-14 17:59:01 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Mike Ruddock
We have no doubt all heard about the blogger who spotted an opportunity
to interfere in the spread of the virus/worm (whatever). The news about
this was widely disseminated. at least by the BBC. Was this wise?
The persons responsible for the attack will have immediately looked over
their code, found the error and put it right, thus eliminating one way
of countering the attack.
Daft.
Mike Ruddock
Is there any reason to think the story was true?
...which is a good point. CF Nightfighter aircrew eating carrots in
WW2
I heard an interview from the blogger

2017-05-14 12:44:03 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Mike Ruddock
We have no doubt all heard about the blogger who spotted an opportunity
to interfere in the spread of the virus/worm (whatever). The news about
this was widely disseminated. at least by the BBC. Was this wise?
The persons responsible for the attack will have immediately looked over
their code, found the error and put it right, thus eliminating one way
of countering the attack.
Daft.
Mike Ruddock
Is there any reason to think the story was true?
Did anyone trump it as alternative facts?
2017-05-15 10:26:11 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Mike Ruddock
We have no doubt all heard about the blogger who spotted an opportunity
to interfere in the spread of the virus/worm (whatever). The news about
this was widely disseminated. at least by the BBC. Was this wise?
The persons responsible for the attack will have immediately looked over
their code, found the error and put it right, thus eliminating one way
of countering the attack.
Daft.
Mike Ruddock
Is there any reason to think the story was true?
Now reported that the geek concerned is working for the security services.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Nick Odell
2017-05-14 12:37:23 UTC
On Sun, 14 May 2017 12:41:57 +0100, Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
We have no doubt all heard about the blogger who spotted an opportunity
to interfere in the spread of the virus/worm (whatever). The news about
this was widely disseminated. at least by the BBC. Was this wise?
The persons responsible for the attack will have immediately looked over
their code, found the error and put it right, thus eliminating one way
of countering the attack.
Daft.
What I don't understand is why nobody's yet put the blame on Jeremy
Corbyn.

2017-05-14 12:56:31 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
We have no doubt all heard about the blogger who spotted an opportunity
to interfere in the spread of the virus/worm (whatever). The news about
this was widely disseminated. at least by the BBC. Was this wise?
The persons responsible for the attack will have immediately looked over
their code, found the error and put it right, thus eliminating one way
of countering the attack.
Daft.
What I don't understand is why nobody's yet put the blame on Jeremy
Corbyn.
Probably because if anyone thought Jeremy had the nous to do it, he'd
make a far better PM than he's shaping up to be.
Peter Percival
2017-05-14 13:01:26 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
We have no doubt all heard about the blogger who spotted an opportunity
to interfere in the spread of the virus/worm (whatever). The news about
this was widely disseminated. at least by the BBC. Was this wise?
The persons responsible for the attack will have immediately looked over
their code, found the error and put it right, thus eliminating one way
of countering the attack.
Daft.
What I don't understand is why nobody's yet put the blame on Jeremy
Corbyn.
Probably because if anyone thought Jeremy had the nous to do it, he'd
make a far better PM than he's shaping up to be.
I've gone off him. He has been against nuclear weapons for years, but
now he if and buts. He has been a pacifist for years and is no longer.
So that's two reason I had for voting Labour, and they've both gone.
Post by Fenny
to me what you really mean.
2017-05-14 13:52:59 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
We have no doubt all heard about the blogger who spotted an opportunity
to interfere in the spread of the virus/worm (whatever). The news about
this was widely disseminated. at least by the BBC. Was this wise?
The persons responsible for the attack will have immediately looked over
their code, found the error and put it right, thus eliminating one way
of countering the attack.
Daft.
What I don't understand is why nobody's yet put the blame on Jeremy
Corbyn.
Everyone knows that JC [1[ is at best on Win 7.

[1] He's not the Messiah, he's a... (cont. Clause 94).
Peter Percival
2017-05-15 13:53:35 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
We have no doubt all heard about the blogger who spotted an opportunity
to interfere in the spread of the virus/worm (whatever). The news about
this was widely disseminated. at least by the BBC. Was this wise?
The persons responsible for the attack
That'll be Microsoft seeking to promote their latest OS.
l***@googlemail.com
2017-05-17 17:31:28 UTC
here's the blogger's own story. I found it very interesting. https://www.malwaretech.com/2017/05/how-to-accidentally-stop-a-global-cyber-attacks.html