OT: communication aid for stroke victims?
2018-08-30 18:34:41 UTC
My friends and I have just been to visit a recovering stroke victim. His
mind is perfectly sound, but trapped; he can understand everything we
say, but has great difficulty speaking in reply - which we can tell gets
him very frustrated. To cap it, the stroke has affected his right hand,
so he can only write a letter every two or three seconds when he tries
to clarify what he's saying by using a pen and pad, and the writing
isn't that great either.

He has adequate use of his left hand. I wondered if there might be some
keyboard-oriented device he could use. We're thinking we might look out
for a typewriter for him, but we're a bit concerned he might have
difficulty with loading paper, let alone ribbons etc.; he's completely
not technology minded. (_Before_ his stroke, he was always calling us
for help in using his TV boxes, for example.) He's by no means dim! He
is a sheep farmer, and served in the war; before the stroke he drove,
had a shotgun licence (protection of sheep - he lives remotely
[Rivergreen Mill into Google Maps will show you where]); he just doesn't
get along with technology. I had in mind something that is basically a
keyboard connected to a screen; although he hasn't learnt to type, I
think he could still communicate with that faster than with his pen and
pad. But it'd have to be foolproof, and work from being switched on;
there's no way he could use any sort of computer as we understand it.

Does anyone know of any such device - or, have other ideas? (Please, no
"you could do that with a Raspberry Pi" - my abilities in that sort of
area are long gone. Though if anyone in Northumberland/Tyne and Wear
would like to take it on, I'd consider funding it parts-wise, to a
point. But such a technological solution might not be the best anyway.)

Air conditioned environment - Do not open Windows.
Jenny M Benson
2018-08-30 19:22:27 UTC
Does anyone know of any such device - or, have other ideas?
Is there not an Occupational Therapist or similar on his Care Team wh9
could advise about this?
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-08-30 22:25:18 UTC
Does anyone know of any such device - or, have other ideas?
Is there not an Occupational Therapist or similar on his Care Team wh9
could advise about this?
I'm not in touch with his care team; in conversation with him, he
mentioned what we eventually worked out was "speech therapist", but I
presume a person with such a title is more concerned with improving his
speech than improving his communication in the meantime. But I don't
know.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they
don't want to hear. - Preface to "Animal Farm"