OT internet providers
Add Reply
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
2018-05-11 17:40:48 UTC
I am fed up with TalkTalk's slow rural broadband.

Maybe the 1980s wiring of my estate would affect any provider, but what providers do other use and are you satisfied with speed and reliabilty?
Btms
2018-05-11 17:50:34 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
I am fed up with TalkTalk's slow rural broadband.
Maybe the 1980s wiring of my estate would affect any provider, but what
providers do other use and are you satisfied with speed and reliabilty?
We are very rural. We use BT but the village has had super-fast broadband
installed. But their cost are astronomical. Last year we switched to
Vodafone who offered a good deal; then BT decided to offer a better one.

We have another house in Cornwall(again rural) and have enjoyed good
service from EE.

If you haven’t got fibre broadband you are stuck with old technology, says
my computer literate husband.
2018-05-11 19:55:19 UTC
On Fri, 11 May 2018 17:50:34 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
I am fed up with TalkTalk's slow rural broadband.
Maybe the 1980s wiring of my estate would affect any provider, but what
providers do other use and are you satisfied with speed and reliabilty?
We are very rural. We use BT but the village has had super-fast broadband
installed. But their cost are astronomical. Last year we switched to
Vodafone who offered a good deal; then BT decided to offer a better one.
We have another house in Cornwall(again rural) and have enjoyed good
service from EE.
If you haven’t got fibre broadband you are stuck with old technology, says
my computer literate husband.
I (living in a rural town IYKWIM) have not taken up the fibre broadband
offered by Plusnet here for an extra £5/month because it is only
fibre-to-the-box and the overhead wires between me and the box about 500m
away have always been the cause of any problems I've had with broadband
here. That said, I have no problem streaming TV on the rare occasions I
want to.
2018-05-11 19:23:42 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
I am fed up with TalkTalk's slow rural broadband.
Maybe the 1980s wiring of my estate would affect any provider, but what providers do other use and are you satisfied with speed and reliabilty?
I doubt if Sistel would be much use to you as I don't think the antenna
on Monte Bignone will be visible from your location in the UK. We gave
up trying to use a copper wire for both phone and internet as there was
something dodgy somewhere where the wires enter the house and the
connection was unreliable. This was with ADSL, so when they attached a
little antenna to a drainpipe that was just able to see the other
antenna up the mountain a bit, I was delighted with the 2Mbps upload
speed that we contracted for several years ago. It's been mostly pretty
reliable and we still pay for that service ostensibly, but the last time
they came out to realign things I think they tweaked something so we now
get an actual download speed of around 4Mbps. Shhhh.

I am sure you are all now laughing until tears run down your legs with
your super fast fibre, multiple access points and hordes of children
streaming live HD TV simultaneously, but it's fine for our use and we
can download an hour's TV in around an hour ! Looxury !!!!
Nick Odell
2018-05-11 21:22:13 UTC
[...]
If my sister were reading this, she'd be very, very jealous of your
service. Tony B is far better placed that me to tell you about the
National Broadband Network in Australia which has left her with no wired
connection to anything, a satellite broadband link that often doesn't
(link, that is) and mobile phone signal classification that has been
regraded from "poor" to "none" so she can't even connect to the internet
that way.

Enjoy it while you've got it, Britters.

Nick
Tony Bryer
2018-05-12 06:07:56 UTC
If my sister were reading this, she'd be very, very jealous of your
service. Tony B is far better placed that me to tell you about the
National Broadband Network in Australia which has left her with no wired
connection to anything, a satellite broadband link that often doesn't
(link, that is) and mobile phone signal classification that has been
regraded from "poor" to "none" so she can't even connect to the internet
that way.
No complaints about NBN here: I pay for 100/40 and get it. But my tower
was chosen by NBN as a test site so probably had the elite installers set
it all up. Others have been much less fortunate.
Tony B, OzRat, Melbourne
Vicky
2018-05-12 08:37:58 UTC
On Sat, 12 May 2018 16:07:56 +1000, Tony Bryer
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Nick Odell
If my sister were reading this, she'd be very, very jealous of your
service. Tony B is far better placed that me to tell you about the
National Broadband Network in Australia which has left her with no wired
connection to anything, a satellite broadband link that often doesn't
(link, that is) and mobile phone signal classification that has been
regraded from "poor" to "none" so she can't even connect to the internet
that way.
No complaints about NBN here: I pay for 100/40 and get it. But my tower
was chosen by NBN as a test site so probably had the elite installers set
it all up. Others have been much less fortunate.
We're with Talk Talk since Virgin sold us to them. It seems to all
work ok and we download quite a bit, tv, and use Alexa. Occasionally
there is a bit of a blip. Not often.
2018-05-11 21:26:24 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
I am fed up with TalkTalk's slow rural broadband.
Maybe the 1980s wiring of my estate would affect any provider, but what
providers do other use and are you satisfied with speed and reliabilty?
As Btms' husband said, if you're on the wrong sort of exchange, changing
provider will just change who sends the bills and passes on fault
requests to BT Wholesale - it's like "changing" utility company, you
don't get any different electricity or gas.

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ (you don't have to be a PlusNet
customer) will tell you some things about your exchange.

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker will tell
you more.

On the whole, changing supplier _may_ not change your speed - certainly
if you change to a company whose equipment is _not_ in your exchange,
then it will depend on whose equipment the company you switch to uses -
it may be the same as your present supplier. The same applies to
reliability: it's how good your supplier are at chasing BT Wholesale (or
whoever) that makes the difference; the top two companies for doing that
are reputed to be Zen and Andrews & Arnold (A&A). I'd thought they were
also the most expensive, but apparently Zen might not be: just yesterday
I had a look into this for someone else, and here are _some_ useful
links:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0021/113628/customer-satisfaction-tracker-2018.pdf
A huge report, but just go to pages 21 and 22, and add together "Very
satisfied" and "fairly satisfied" to compare. They only cover BT, EE,
PlusNet, Sky, TalkTalk, and Virgin Media.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3365800/best-and-worst-broadband-firms-for-customer-service-revealed-how-did-your-supplier-do/
covers more (12) - just scroll down to the chart with star ratings in
it. (Basically, avoid TalkTalk, but we know that!) Surprisingly it puts
its top choice - Zen - between Virgin and PlusNet in terms of value for
money; I'd heard Zen were excellent for customer service and technical
support, but I thought they were expensive.

There's another (rather bald) table at the bottom of
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/britains-worst-broadband-providers-customer-7769744
. (Zen wins there too.)

Hope those help.

Kylie may have the world's most beautiful bottom, but the important thing is -
she never, ever talks out of it. - Kathy Lette, RT 2014/1/11-17
LFS
2018-05-12 14:36:23 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
I am fed up with TalkTalk's slow rural broadband.
Maybe the 1980s wiring of my estate would affect any provider, but what providers do other use and are you satisfied with speed and reliabilty?
We're with EE, have been since it was Freeserve. I hesitate to say we've
always been perfectly satisfied because that may precipitate the
interference of the technology gods... The only complaint I have is that
they shut down their email server, which was a nuisance as I'd had an
email address with them since forever.

We stream quite a lot of TV without difficulty. I did a review of the
costs a couple of years ago to compare with other ISPs and it seemed
quite competitive but I haven't checked lately.