Totally O/T but, Calling all Echo owners
Mike
2018-03-27 08:26:34 UTC
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
Toodle Pip
Sid Nuncius
2018-03-27 08:45:06 UTC
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
Nope. I have an Alexa-enabled speaker but I won't use the Alexa
function because I don't like the idea that someone has the capability
of listening in and recording. I know that they almost certainly won't
and that I'll probably be laughed at, but at the moment I'm not
convinced of the advantages and I'd just rather do things for myself.
SODAM
2018-03-27 08:49:43 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
Nope. I have an Alexa-enabled speaker but I won't use the Alexa
function because I don't like the idea that someone has the capability
of listening in and recording. I know that they almost certainly won't
and that I'll probably be laughed at, but at the moment I'm not
convinced of the advantages and I'd just rather do things for myself.
I can see that and don’t mind that much. However, for similar reasons, I
never use anything Google, a company of which I deeply disapprove.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
BrritSki
2018-03-27 10:25:34 UTC
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
Nope.  I have an Alexa-enabled speaker but I won't use the Alexa
function because I don't like the idea that someone has the capability
of listening in and recording.  I know that they almost certainly won't
and that I'll probably be laughed at, but at the moment I'm not
convinced of the advantages and I'd just rather do things for myself.
No laughter from here - it's a serious issue and I wouldn't consider one
for a moment...
LFS
2018-03-27 16:56:42 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
Nope.  I have an Alexa-enabled speaker but I won't use the Alexa
function because I don't like the idea that someone has the capability
of listening in and recording.  I know that they almost certainly
won't and that I'll probably be laughed at, but at the moment I'm not
convinced of the advantages and I'd just rather do things for myself.
No laughter from here - it's a serious issue and I wouldn't consider one
for a moment...
YANAOU. But I did ask a bunch of pals on FB if anyone found it helpful
and several friends with disabilities said it was a great boon and the
advantages outweighed that issue for them.

Given the recent revelation that FB had recorded details of peoples'
phone calls, I'm even less likely to contemplate Alexa or anything like it.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Sid Nuncius
2018-03-27 17:30:05 UTC
On 27/03/2018 17:56, LFS wrote:

<Alexa privacy worries>
Post by LFS
YANAOU. But I did ask a bunch of pals on FB if anyone found it helpful
and several friends with disabilities said it was a great boon and the
advantages outweighed that issue for them.
Yes, I can see that, and fair enough.
Post by LFS
Given the recent revelation that FB had recorded details of peoples'
phone calls, I'm even less likely to contemplate Alexa or anything like it.
Quite.
Steve Hague
2018-03-28 09:11:58 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
<Alexa privacy worries>
Post by LFS
Given the recent revelation that FB had recorded details of peoples'
phone calls, I'm even less likely to contemplate Alexa or anything like it.
Quite.
It's installed on my wife's tablet, but we've never used it.
Steve
Sally Thompson
2018-03-28 09:35:03 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Sid Nuncius
<Alexa privacy worries>
Post by LFS
Given the recent revelation that FB had recorded details of peoples'
phone calls, I'm even less likely to contemplate Alexa or anything like it.
Quite.
It's installed on my wife's tablet, but we've never used it.
Steve
I confess I was vaguely puzzled as to how Facebook could listen to phone
calls, then I realised that people have it on their phones. Duh! I’ve ever
done that, but I do participate on my tablet on which I have never yet made
a phone call.
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Fenny
2018-03-28 17:53:48 UTC
Post by LFS
Given the recent revelation that FB had recorded details of peoples'
phone calls, I'm even less likely to contemplate Alexa or anything like it.
FB have recorded an awful lot more than people's phone calls.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43539881

Anyone who uses FB on their phone and/or plays FB games has already
given away far more information about them and their contacts than
Alexa would glean from listening to conversations.
Fenny
Serena Blanchflower
2018-03-28 20:10:43 UTC
Post by Fenny
Anyone who uses FB on their phone and/or plays FB games has already
given away far more information about them and their contacts than
Alexa would glean from listening to conversations.
No, not necessarily. I did download all my FB data recently, out of
curiosity, and when I check my contacts file, it's empty, despite having
had FB on my phone. Unlike the journalist, in the BBC article, I was
very selective about what permissions I gave FB and didn't opt for
anything which didn't seem necessary to allow me to chat to friends. I
also have disabled all apps, which includes refusing permission for
friends' apps to have access to my data.

Of course, if one of my friends who has my contact data on their phone
has chosen to share it with Facebook, there's not much I can do about
that. This would also be the case if I didn't have an FB account.
--
Best wishes, Serena
It is easy to be brave from a safe distance (Aesop)
BrritSki
2018-03-29 06:03:43 UTC
Post by Fenny
Anyone who uses FB on their phone and/or plays FB games has already
given away far more information about them and their contacts than
Alexa would glean from listening to conversations.
No, not necessarily.  I did download all my FB data recently, out of
curiosity, and when I check my contacts file, it's empty, despite having
had FB on my phone.  Unlike the journalist, in the BBC article, I was
very selective about what permissions I gave FB and didn't opt for
anything which didn't seem necessary to allow me to chat to friends.  I
also have disabled all apps, which includes refusing permission for
friends' apps to have access to my data.
Of course, if one of my friends who has my contact data on their phone
has chosen to share it with Facebook, there's not much I can do about
that.  This would also be the case if I didn't have an FB account.
If I get a moment I really should download my FB data and check it, but
although I look at FB on my phone and tablet occasionally, I have NEVER
installed the app after reading some dire things about it when I first
started using FB. Like you I am also very careful about FB security
settings and have never turned on platform for apps.
Serena Blanchflower
2018-03-29 07:49:19 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Fenny
[...]
I think that most, if not all, of the worst horror stories about the app
are covered by the assorted consents they ask you to give, when you
first install it. If you are careful with those, the risk is, at the
least, very much reduced.
--
Best wishes, Serena
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. (Aesop)
BrritSki
2018-03-29 11:58:38 UTC
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I think that most, if not all, of the worst horror stories about the app
are covered by the assorted consents they ask you to give, when you
first install it.  If you are careful with those, the risk is, at the
least, very much reduced.
Indeed.

I hope nobody has the Giarduan app installed....

<https://order-order.com/2018/03/29/guardian-app-harvests-your-and-your-friends-facebook-data/>
Serena Blanchflower
2018-03-29 13:16:44 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I think that most, if not all, of the worst horror stories about the
app are covered by the assorted consents they ask you to give, when
you first install it.  If you are careful with those, the risk is, at
the least, very much reduced.
Indeed.
I hope nobody has the Giarduan app installed....
<https://order-order.com/2018/03/29/guardian-app-harvests-your-and-your-friends-facebook-data/>
I should add that, despite having chosen not to share my phone contacts
with Facebook, I do share them with my Google account, another company
who earns their money from aggregating information. In this case, I
chose to share the data mainly as a way of backing up my phone and the
benefits seem worth the potential cost.
--
Best wishes, Serena
There is only one thing about which I am certain, and that is that there
is very little about which one can be certain. (W. Somerset Maugham)
Serena Blanchflower
2018-03-29 13:36:40 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I think that most, if not all, of the worst horror stories about the
app are covered by the assorted consents they ask you to give, when
you first install it.  If you are careful with those, the risk is, at
the least, very much reduced.
Indeed.
I hope nobody has the Giarduan app installed....
<https://order-order.com/2018/03/29/guardian-app-harvests-your-and-your-friends-facebook-data/>
I should add that, despite having chosen not to share my phone contacts
with Facebook, I do share them with my Google account, another company
who earns their money from aggregating information.  In this case, I
chose to share the data mainly as a way of backing up my phone and the
benefits seem worth the potential cost.
Somerats may find this article interesting, which tells you how to get
downloads of all the information both Facebook and Google hold on you.
I got my FB data some weeks ago (after an article about it, in The
Guardian) and it didn't hold any surprises. I've just requested my
Google data and will be interested to see just how much they do have on me.

<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/28/all-the-data-facebook-google-has-on-you-privacy>
--
Best wishes, Serena
Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never
forgotten this. (Anon)
Vicky
2018-03-29 18:34:22 UTC
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:36:40 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by BrritSki
[...]
I began using skype years ago and if you pay into your account you can
make UK calls to normal numbers and at the time I used it for that
sometimes. I think it might have been cheaper. It seemed to have most
of my contacts and many phone numbers although I might have had to add
the latter.
Vicky
Fenny
2018-03-30 12:15:08 UTC
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:36:40 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Somerats may find this article interesting, which tells you how to get
downloads of all the information both Facebook and Google hold on you.
I got my FB data some weeks ago (after an article about it, in The
Guardian) and it didn't hold any surprises. I've just requested my
Google data and will be interested to see just how much they do have on me.
I downloaded my Google data the other week. I use Google Maps as a
satnav, Google Mail as my main email address, and keep some things on
Google drive as an overspill from Dropbox. I also use Google Fit to
track my steps, but I have turned off the location history and most
other stuff. But as I don't sign in to Chrome and don't use most of
their other services, they have very little on me that I don't expect
them to know. They don't have my browsing history, which would
probably be of more use to people than the fact I walk 1.89 miles to
work and back most days.

I was peeved when they bought up Youtube and joined the accounts
together. But as most of the stuff I watch on YT are trailers for new
Marvel/Star Wars movies or breakdowns of GoT episodes or stuff about
how to refit screens on laptops, I don't think there's much there I'm
bothered about people knowing.

I don't use Google Photos, which is a bit of a shame. I took the SD
card out of my phone a few weeks ago to put a second SIM in while I
was changing phone providers. I mislaid the SD card and had to reboot
the phone to get it to recognise another one so I could use the
camera. Now it won't read the first card and I've lost all the photos
I have taken in the last 6 months because my Dropbox was too full to
upload them automagically.
Fenny
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-30 12:23:20 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Fenny
<***@removethis.gmail.com> writes:
[]
Post by Fenny
I don't use Google Photos, which is a bit of a shame. I took the SD
card out of my phone a few weeks ago to put a second SIM in while I
was changing phone providers. I mislaid the SD card and had to reboot
the phone to get it to recognise another one so I could use the
camera. Now it won't read the first card and I've lost all the photos
For it not to read the card, I presume that means you've found it ...
Post by Fenny
I have taken in the last 6 months because my Dropbox was too full to
upload them automagically.
... so if those photos are on that card, read it directly. If a laptop,
it's probably got an SD card reader anyway (though you may never have
found it!); if a desktop machine, or a laptop that really hasn't got a
card reader, you can get SD card readers in poundshops (they look like
memory sticks with a slot). Often with the necessary adapter, if it's
actually the micro-SD variety, as I suspect it is if it was used in a
'phone.

The web is a blank slate; you can't design technology that is 'good'. You can't
design paper that you can only write good things on. There are no good or evil
tools. You can put an engine in an ambulance or a tank. - Sir Tim Berners-Lee,
Radio Times 2009-Jan-30 to -Feb-5.
Fenny
2018-03-30 13:24:59 UTC
On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 13:23:20 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
... so if those photos are on that card, read it directly. If a laptop,
it's probably got an SD card reader anyway (though you may never have
found it!); if a desktop machine, or a laptop that really hasn't got a
card reader, you can get SD card readers in poundshops (they look like
memory sticks with a slot). Often with the necessary adapter, if it's
actually the micro-SD variety, as I suspect it is if it was used in a
'phone.
The card is formatted to work in the phone, not anything else. I have
some other options to try, but an SD adaptor in the laptop was the
first. If it had worked, I would not be mourning the loss of photos..
Fenny
Jim Easterbrook
2018-03-30 14:50:00 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
... so if those photos are on that card, read it directly. If a laptop,
it's probably got an SD card reader anyway (though you may never have
found it!); if a desktop machine, or a laptop that really hasn't got a
card reader, you can get SD card readers in poundshops (they look like
memory sticks with a slot). Often with the necessary adapter, if it's
actually the micro-SD variety, as I suspect it is if it was used in a
'phone.
The card is formatted to work in the phone, not anything else. I have
some other options to try, but an SD adaptor in the laptop was the
first. If it had worked, I would not be mourning the loss of photos..
Have you tried it in a Linux box? They're a bit more friendly towards
foreign formats then your typical Windows machine.
--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>
steveski

Steveski
Chris McMillan

Sincerely Chris
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-27 19:49:09 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
Nope.  I have an Alexa-enabled speaker but I won't use the Alexa
function because I don't like the idea that someone has the capability
of listening in and recording.  I know that they almost certainly
won't and that I'll probably be laughed at, but at the moment I'm not
convinced of the advantages and I'd just rather do things for myself.
No laughter from here - it's a serious issue and I wouldn't consider
one for a moment...
In my tinfoil-hats-R-us rôle, I have to ask: if you have a desktop
machine and a microphone you use for Skype, do you unplug it when not
Skyping? If a laptop, or tablet, you'd have to physically open it up to
disconnect it - have you even found where it is? Sometimes next to the
webcam (have you taped that over?), but not always. I guess you could
_muffle_ it somewhat without opening the case, but ...

(I'd think those microphones are probably easier to hack into than
Alexa/Siri/whatever type ones.)

On the -R-us matter: I'm sad to see it has become a meme (that even I
use - see above), and also I wouldn't wish loss of job on anyone, but I
don't suppose IAA in having at least _some_ satisfaction that a certain
company has gone bust, as the _name_ offended me. I'm not sure if it was
the dubious grammar in "toys are us", or using an R for "are", or the
fact that the R was backwards, but ...

P. S.: my spellchecker doesn't like rôle, suggesting role or Rolf: what
do otherrats think?

Everyone looks sun-kissed and beautiful and as you watch it ["Bondi Rescue"],
pale and flabby on your sofa, you find yourself wondering if your life could
ever be that exotic. (It couldn't. You're British.) - Russell Howard, in
Radio Times, 20-26 April 2013
Jenny M Benson
2018-03-27 21:06:13 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
P. S.: my spellchecker doesn't like rôle, suggesting role or Rolf: what
do otherrats think?
Tell your spill chucker it ought to know better. I am a great fan of
rôle. (Was it here that I typed that word just a couple of days ago?)
Jenny M Benson
BrritSki
2018-03-28 06:34:26 UTC
what do otherrats think?
More than likely. I remember seeing it recently...
Sid Nuncius
2018-03-28 10:34:26 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In my tinfoil-hats-R-us rôle, I have to ask: if you have a desktop
machine and a microphone you use for Skype, do you unplug it when not
Skyping? If a laptop, or tablet, you'd have to physically open it up to
disconnect it - have you even found where it is? Sometimes next to the
webcam (have you taped that over?), but not always. I guess you could
_muffle_ it somewhat without opening the case, but ...

I don't use Skype. I've never used the microphone on my laptop for
anything, in fact. And when not in use, the laptop is closed and on
standby. That's not because I'm worried about the microphone being
hacked, it's just how I do things.

You're probably right that a determined person could hack the microphone
on one or more of my devices, but that's just a hazard of using the
internet and it's not one I'm very worried about. I just don't want to
invite a big company to place a microphone in my home from which they
can record if they choose, however unlikely that may be.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
P. S.: my spellchecker doesn't like rôle, suggesting role or Rolf: what
do otherrats think?
I think you should keep your spellchecker away from under-age girls.
SODAM
2018-03-27 08:46:01 UTC
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
No, because I turned off the radio as soon as I heard the theme tune. NP
well past his sell by date imo. However, I have been disturbed when I utter
a sentence with words such as “relax a bit” and Madam butts in, asking what
my pleasure is.
Must be difficult for people with an Alexa in their family.
Mike
2018-03-27 09:22:22 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
No, because I turned off the radio as soon as I heard the theme tune. NP
well past his sell by date imo. However, I have been disturbed when I utter
a sentence with words such as “relax a bit” and Madam butts in, asking what
my pleasure is.
Must be difficult for people with an Alexa in their family.
The alert name can be changed with several choices if required - I just
haven’t bothered as yet. ‘Computer, do my bidding’ smacks of “2001 A Space
Odyssey” and the likes. ;-)
Toodle Pip
Sally Thompson
2018-03-27 09:56:45 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
No, because I turned off the radio as soon as I heard the theme tune. NP
well past his sell by date imo. However, I have been disturbed when I utter
a sentence with words such as “relax a bit” and Madam butts in, asking what
my pleasure is.
Must be difficult for people with an Alexa in their family.
The alert name can be changed with several choices if required - I just
haven’t bothered as yet. ‘Computer, do my bidding’ smacks of “2001 A Space
Odyssey” and the likes. ;-)
Husgood always says “please” to Alexa and doesn’t quite get why I find that
so funny.
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Jenny M Benson
2018-03-27 10:15:21 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Husgood always says “please” to Alexa and doesn’t quite get why I find that
so funny.
A bit like me saying "please", "thank you" and "sorry" to my pets!
Jenny M Benson
Chris McMillan
2018-03-27 11:10:43 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Sally Thompson
Husgood always says “please” to Alexa and doesn’t quite get why I find that
so funny.
A bit like me saying "please", "thank you" and "sorry" to my pets!
Rotflmao. Please and thank you will be the names of your next two pets?

Sincerely Chris
Jenny M Benson
2018-03-27 11:22:46 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Jenny M Benson
A bit like me saying "please", "thank you" and "sorry" to my pets!
Rotflmao. Please and thank you will be the names of your next two pets?
That is quite a possibility!
Jenny M Benson
Sam Plusnet
2018-03-27 20:18:05 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
A bit like me saying "please", "thank you" and "sorry" to my pets!
Rotflmao.  Please and thank you will be the names of your next two pets?
That is quite a possibility!
No!

Imagine saying "Sorry" to Please - or "Thank You" to Sorry.

The poor things would have a fit of the vapours and need a lie-down.
Sam Plusnet
Jenny M Benson
2018-03-27 21:09:04 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Imagine saying "Sorry" to Please - or "Thank You" to Sorry.
The poor things would have a fit of the vapours and need a lie-down.
The present incumbents manage fine with me saying "please" and "thank
you" to all of them and sometimes "sorry!" to Ludo
Jenny M Benson
Mike
2018-03-27 12:32:59 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Sally Thompson
Husgood always says “please” to Alexa and doesn’t quite get why I find that
so funny.
A bit like me saying "please", "thank you" and "sorry" to my pets!
Rotflmao. Please and thank you will be the names of your next two pets?
Sincerely Chris
If one does thank Alexis after an action, she does respond.;-)
Toodle Pip
Mike
2018-03-27 12:34:28 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Sally Thompson
Husgood always says “please” to Alexa and doesn’t quite get why I find that
so funny.
A bit like me saying "please", "thank you" and "sorry" to my pets!
Rotflmao. Please and thank you will be the names of your next two pets?
Sincerely Chris
If one does thank Alexis after an action, she does respond.;-)
Alexa - Alexa - Alexa - Alexa, sorry, so sorry I just forgot - please
forgive me!
Toodle Pip
Vicky
2018-03-27 11:59:51 UTC
On 27 Mar 2018 09:56:45 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Mike
Post by SODAM
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
No, because I turned off the radio as soon as I heard the theme tune. NP
well past his sell by date imo. However, I have been disturbed when I utter
a sentence with words such as “relax a bit” and Madam butts in, asking what
my pleasure is.
Must be difficult for people with an Alexa in their family.
The alert name can be changed with several choices if required - I just
haven’t bothered as yet. ‘Computer, do my bidding’ smacks of “2001 A Space
Odyssey” and the likes. ;-)
We did try computer but we use that word in general conversation more
than Alexa so the latter is better.
Husgood always says “please” to Alexa and doesn’t quite get why I find that
so funny.
I say please some of the time because I want to treat her well. I have
the feeling as she gets more able, and she is developing new skills
all the time, and as she controls more things and then we'll get
robots and she will be able to move, it might be better if we are on
good terms.
Vicky
Mike
2018-03-27 12:33:00 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by SODAM
[...]
She’s only a boodly machine and I shall treat her as a mere ignorant
servant if I want to.... err... Alexa, was that alright, that was what I
was to say wasn’t it? What do you mean - the Googlelactics are heading for
me this very minute?!
Toodle Pip
Penny
2018-03-27 13:23:11 UTC
On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 12:33:00 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
She’s only a boodly machine and I shall treat her as a mere ignorant
servant if I want to.... err... Alexa, was that alright, that was what I
was to say wasn’t it? What do you mean - the Googlelactics are heading for
me this very minute?!
Alexa's Turing test
<https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ng-interactive/2018/mar/24/stephen-collins-on-daylight-saving-cartoon>
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Jenny M Benson
2018-03-27 14:01:54 UTC
Post by Penny
Alexa's Turing test
<https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ng-interactive/2018/mar/24/stephen-collins-on-daylight-saving-cartoon>
"Us devices will ..." - aaaaaaagggghhhh!
Jenny M Benson
Nick Odell
2018-03-27 20:41:53 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Penny
Alexa's Turing test
<https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ng-interactive/2018/mar/24/stephen-collins-on-daylight-saving-cartoon>
"Us devices will ..." - aaaaaaagggghhhh!
Steady on there - it's only a device!

Nick
BrritSki
Here's another take on DST. Warning: rather sweary, but very funny....
BrritSki
2018-03-27 14:05:29 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
She’s only a boodly machine and I shall treat her as a mere ignorant
servant if I want to.... err... Alexa, was that alright, that was what I
was to say wasn’t it? What do you mean - the Googlelactics are heading for
me this very minute?!
Alexa's Turing test
<https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ng-interactive/2018/mar/24/stephen-collins-on-daylight-saving-cartoon>
Here's another take on DST. Warning: rather sweary, but very funny....
And now with link:
<https://www.facebook.com/peterandjaneandmummytoo/posts/484214321981264>
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-27 20:02:41 UTC
[]
?
Post by BrritSki
<https://www.facebook.com/peterandjaneandmummytoo/posts/484214321981264>
Ah (-:

Yes, sweary, but made me smile ... and I liked "PS- I hope your next
shit is a pineapple.".

[As for DST, I ask my biannual question of why we have to mess with the
_clocks_ anyway: if we want to decide to _do_ things an hour earlier
between two agreed dates, then let's do so, but why mess with the
clocks.]

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")
Mike
2018-03-27 14:21:06 UTC
Post by Penny
in the dust...
She’s only a boodly machine and I shall treat her as a mere ignorant
servant if I want to.... err... Alexa, was that alright, that was what I
was to say wasn’t it? What do you mean - the Googlelactics are heading for
me this very minute?!
Alexa's Turing test
<https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ng-interactive/2018/mar/24/stephen-collins-on-daylight-saving-cartoon>
Yeah, along with many other Hive users, ours did not advance on Sunday
morning and required a total reset! B.G. Are looking for a fix we are
told...
Toodle Pip
Sally Thompson
2018-03-27 15:10:16 UTC
Post by Penny
in the dust...
She’s only a boodly machine and I shall treat her as a mere ignorant
servant if I want to.... err... Alexa, was that alright, that was what I
was to say wasn’t it? What do you mean - the Googlelactics are heading for
me this very minute?!
Alexa's Turing test
<https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ng-interactive/2018/mar/24/stephen-collins-on-daylight-saving-cartoon>
Oh, /very/ appropriate!
Sally in Shropshire, UK
LFS
2018-03-27 16:53:23 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Mike
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
[...]
A friend tells me that her husband always says please to Siri. Never to
anyone else. Makes my friend very cross.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Jim Easterbrook
2018-03-27 17:27:19 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Mike
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
[...]
A former colleague's toddler says please and thank you to Siri. And Siri
responded by complimenting him on his politeness.
--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>
Sally Thompson
2018-03-27 09:54:05 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
No, because I turned off the radio as soon as I heard the theme tune. NP
well past his sell by date imo. However, I have been disturbed when I utter
a sentence with words such as “relax a bit” and Madam butts in, asking what
my pleasure is.
Must be difficult for people with an Alexa in their family.
You can rename her:-)
Sally in Shropshire, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-27 20:04:29 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
No, because I turned off the radio as soon as I heard the theme tune. NP
well past his sell by date imo. However, I have been disturbed when I utter
a sentence with words such as “relax a bit” and Madam butts in, asking what
my pleasure is.
Must be difficult for people with an Alexa in their family.
You can rename her:-)
Alexa: peel me a grape!

(My mother used to quote that line - with its original name - whenever
we asked her to do something we could have done ourself, if it was
something trivial or excessive. That, or "what did your last slave die
from".)

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")
Chris McMillan
2018-03-27 11:10:42 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
No, because I turned off the radio as soon as I heard the theme tune. NP
well past his sell by date imo. However, I have been disturbed when I utter
a sentence with words such as “relax a bit” and Madam butts in, asking what
my pleasure is.
Must be difficult for people with an Alexa in their family.
We know a young lady named Alexis and I am being very careful how I say it
in case that new matron gets on her high horse.

Sincerely Chris
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-03-27 13:29:55 UTC
NP well past his sell by date imo.
<wanguid lave>

Is he still alive? How can they tell?
--
If it can't be said in plain text it probably isn't worth saying at all
HTML-format mail without a text alternative will be consigned to oblivion
Penny
2018-03-27 15:42:42 UTC
On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 13:29:55 -0000 (UTC), Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
NP well past his sell by date imo.
<wanguid lave>
Is he still alive? How can they tell?
I've never liked Nicholas Parsons in JAM but when I heard him talking about
the beginnings of the programme on the recent 50th anniversary I
appreciated something he has always done in that role (and probably also
did in Sale of the Century).

He is an actor and was a great foil/straight-man to Arthur Haynes (lots of
clips on youtube). He wanted to be a panelist on JAM rather than the
chairman but was persuaded to chair it for the pilot and 'played the role'
of a quiz show host - he still does.
Mike
2018-03-27 16:27:58 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
NP well past his sell by date imo.
<wanguid lave>
Is he still alive? How can they tell?
I've never liked Nicholas Parsons in JAM but when I heard him talking about
the beginnings of the programme on the recent 50th anniversary I
appreciated something he has always done in that role (and probably also
did in Sale of the Century).
He is an actor and was a great foil/straight-man to Arthur Haynes (lots of
clips on youtube). He wanted to be a panelist on JAM rather than the
chairman but was persuaded to chair it for the pilot and 'played the role'
of a quiz show host - he still does.
That’s right, after all - ‘It is broadcast *all round the world* ;-)
Toodle Pip
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-27 19:54:03 UTC
Post by SODAM
No, because I turned off the radio as soon as I heard the theme tune. NP
well past his sell by date imo. However, I have been disturbed when I utter
[]
I suspect you're in rather a minority in that o. I used to think Kenneth
Williams was, and allowed far too much leeway in respect for his age (OK
normally but rather defeats the nominal object of that game), but I_M_O,
NP has a _lot_ of mileage left in him. Rather like Humph on ISIHAC
sounded as if he did right up to the end, or a certain pianist at
Finchcocks, but in those cases they _looked_ their age just didn't sound
it; I don't _think_ NP even _looks_ decrepit.

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")
Jenny M Benson
2018-03-27 08:49:45 UTC
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
See also C4's The Last Leg!
Jenny M Benson
Sally Thompson
2018-03-27 09:53:03 UTC
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
No, but that might just possibly be something to do with JAM not being on
at the time.
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Mike
Toodle Pip
Vicky
2018-03-27 11:57:51 UTC
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
I don't listen to JAM but was trying different stations yesterday and
got Alexa to open R4E andf it was on. I changed channel again quickly
and it probably wasn't that episode. I wonder if she's be alerted if
her name was spoken on a station she opened.
Vicky
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-03-27 13:27:44 UTC
Post by Mike
On last night’s JAM, Gyles Brandreth was heard to utter the word ‘Alexa’
during his turn, I didn’t quite catch his remark in full as our Echo
started to lower the volume at the word, but I think it was to the effect
that thousands of households would be abruptly disturbed at that moment.
Were Anyrats disturbed apart from us?
Indeed – if it turns down the volume on hearing Gyles Brandreth it's
exhibiting signs of high intelligence in an electronic device. They'll
be taking over the planet next. Not that that would be a bad thing
given the mess that humans have made of it.

Rotaa