Do we have any young people hereabouts?
2017-09-19 10:34:16 UTC
I was listening to the omnibus this morning and realised that Toby and
Pip had called each other using some form of video calling rather than
simply talking to each other.

Whilst I realise that such facilities probably exist in this day and age
I have never used them and I wonder if it is automatic for people of
Pip/Toby's ages to do this automatically and not simply make a voice call?

I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited data
plans cheap these days?

Thank you.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Vicky
2017-09-19 10:42:57 UTC
I was listening to the omnibus this morning and realised that Toby and
Pip had called each other using some form of video calling rather than
simply talking to each other.
Whilst I realise that such facilities probably exist in this day and age
I have never used them and I wonder if it is automatic for people of
Pip/Toby's ages to do this automatically and not simply make a voice call?
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited data
plans cheap these days?
Thank you.
Those with ipads or iphones use facetime. I haven't got either and so
if I am with granddaughter and her dad wants to talk he uses skype.
Grandkids talk to any parent not with them that day that way.
2017-09-19 10:47:27 UTC
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited data
plans cheap these days?
I think most of those apps will work through wifi and so are,
effectively, free (so long as you're at home or somewhere you have wifi
freely available).
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases
is the one scientific absolute in the world. (Lynn M. Osban)
krw
2017-09-19 11:22:55 UTC
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited
data plans cheap these days?
I think most of those apps will work through wifi and so are,
effectively, free (so long as you're at home or somewhere you have wifi
freely available).
But Toby was on the Street having dumped Kit/Kitty and Pip was milking
and as far as I am aware they never got around to the automated parlour
they spent so long discussing and spent Roof's money on bonds and
pensions instead.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Sally Thompson
2017-09-19 19:16:30 UTC
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited data
plans cheap these days?
I think most of those apps will work through wifi and so are,
effectively, free (so long as you're at home or somewhere you have wifi
freely available).
I FaceTime my son from foreign because as Serena says it's free, unlike a
voice call. (Also I can show him where I am but that's secondary.) I also
sometimes FaceTime my grandson because it's nice to see his face.
2017-09-20 08:45:44 UTC
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited data
plans cheap these days?
I think most of those apps will work through wifi and so are,
effectively, free (so long as you're at home or somewhere you have wifi
freely available).
I FaceTime my son from foreign because as Serena says it's free, unlike a
voice call. (Also I can show him where I am but that's secondary.) I also
sometimes FaceTime my grandson because it's nice to see his face.
The downside to Facetime is not being able to conference call which if
bandwidth permits you can still do free with Skype.

Sincerely Chris
Peter Percival
2017-09-19 14:21:17 UTC
I was listening to the omnibus this morning and realised that Toby
and Pip had called each other using some form of video calling rather
than simply talking to each other.
Whilst I realise that such facilities probably exist in this day and
age I have never used them and I wonder if it is automatic for people
of Pip/Toby's ages to do this automatically and not simply make a
voice call?
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited
data plans cheap these days?
Thank you.
Skype is free.
to me what you really mean.
2017-09-19 18:03:18 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by krw
I was listening to the omnibus this morning and realised that Toby
and Pip had called each other using some form of video calling rather
than simply talking to each other.
Whilst I realise that such facilities probably exist in this day and
age I have never used them and I wonder if it is automatic for people
of Pip/Toby's ages to do this automatically and not simply make a
voice call?
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited
data plans cheap these days?
Thank you.
Skype is free.
As is Facetime, there's also Whatsapp. Whatsapp and Facetime are Apple
only. But from experience Facetime is iffy according to building
construction.

2017-09-19 18:44:58 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Skype is free.
As is Facetime, there's also Whatsapp. Whatsapp and Facetime are Apple
only.
I use WhatsApp on my Android phone.
2017-09-20 08:45:44 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Skype is free.
As is Facetime, there's also Whatsapp. Whatsapp and Facetime are Apple
only.
I use WhatsApp on my Android phone.
Didn't know it was an Android app too. Must pay better attention to my
smarter phone friends' wafflings.

Sincerely Chris a fobile luddite
steveski
2017-09-20 09:27:36 UTC
As is Facetime, there's also Whatsapp. Whatsapp and Facetime are
Apple only.
I use WhatsApp on my Android phone.
Didn't know it was an Android app too. Must pay better attention to my
smarter phone friends' wafflings.
Sincerely Chris a fobile luddite
As am I - I only use my phone for phoning (natch), alarms, WhatsApp and
GPS stuff.
2017-09-20 16:48:39 UTC
As is Facetime, there's also Whatsapp. Whatsapp and Facetime are
Apple only.
I use WhatsApp on my Android phone.
Didn't know it was an Android app too. Must pay better attention to my
smarter phone friends' wafflings.
Sincerely Chris a fobile luddite
As am I - I only use my phone for phoning (natch), alarms, WhatsApp and
GPS stuff.
Goodness, Steve! You're a whizz kid!

2017-09-20 08:51:52 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Skype is free.
As is Facetime, there's also Whatsapp. Whatsapp and Facetime are Apple
only.
They may be free app.s, but unless you have an unlimited contract or
only use them where there is wifi, using them isn't free.
I use WhatsApp on my Android phone.
Didn't know it was an Android app too. Must pay better attention to my
smarter phone friends' wafflings.
Sincerely Chris a fobile luddite
Not as much as me. (I have one - Android 4.2, IIRR - but only figured
out how to accept an incoming voice call on it within the last year!)

Veni Vidi Visa [I came, I saw, I did a little shopping] - Mik from S+AS Limited
(***@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998
Chris McMillan
2017-09-20 16:48:38 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Skype is free.
As is Facetime, there's also Whatsapp. Whatsapp and Facetime are Apple
only.
They may be free app.s, but unless you have an unlimited contract or
only use them where there is wifi, using them isn't free.
I use WhatsApp on my Android phone.
Didn't know it was an Android app too. Must pay better attention to my
smarter phone friends' wafflings.
Sincerely Chris a fobile luddite
Not as much as me. (I have one - Android 4.2, IIRR - but only figured
out how to accept an incoming voice call on it within the last year!)
I don't have a smart phone at all, although even a very basic one now lets
me use it as an on line machine I can't even see the screen enough to think
about it.

2017-09-21 00:32:47 UTC
In message <GZwwB.946968$***@fx03.am4>, Chris McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
I don't have a smart phone at all, although even a very basic one now lets
me use it as an on line machine I can't even see the screen enough to think
about it.
[]
I think you _can_ get tablets with SIM slots, which would make a giant
'phone - would that be usable? If so, look online - for your
circumstances ones of large size but low resolution, which for most
people would catch them out, would still be appropriate, and are cheaper

I always said I'd leave the premiership at 60, and I did - you should always
be prepared to step down for an older man. - Harold Wilson 1983-June
Chris McMillan
2017-09-21 10:19:38 UTC
I don't have a smart phone at all, although even a very basic one now lets
me use it as an on line machine I can't even see the screen enough to think
about it.
[]
I think you _can_ get tablets with SIM slots, which would make a giant
'phone - would that be usable? If so, look online - for your
circumstances ones of large size but low resolution, which for most
people would catch them out, would still be appropriate, and are cheaper
If I could manage without a mobile I would but its not remotely practical.
I'm way too cack handed to be carrying a tablet, I'd have lived an iPad
mini, but I'd have had to switch to audio feedback. I'm no multi tasker. I
can't carry on a conversation and type even, nor can I take notes at a
meeting and contribute to an event.

2017-09-20 10:54:46 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by krw
I was listening to the omnibus this morning and realised that Toby
and Pip had called each other using some form of video calling rather
than simply talking to each other.
Whilst I realise that such facilities probably exist in this day and
age I have never used them and I wonder if it is automatic for people
of Pip/Toby's ages to do this automatically and not simply make a
voice call?
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited
data plans cheap these days?
Thank you.
Skype is free.
As is Facetime, there's also Whatsapp.
There's no such thing as a free app.
2017-09-20 11:58:42 UTC
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:54:46 +0100, Sid Nuncius wrote:

There's no such thing as a free app.
There's no such thing as The Cabal, either . . .
2017-09-20 12:40:34 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by krw
I was listening to the omnibus this morning and realised that Toby
and Pip had called each other using some form of video calling rather
than simply talking to each other.
Whilst I realise that such facilities probably exist in this day and
age I have never used them and I wonder if it is automatic for people
of Pip/Toby's ages to do this automatically and not simply make a
voice call?
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited
data plans cheap these days?
Thank you.
Skype is free.
As is Facetime, there's also Whatsapp.
There's no such thing as a free app.
As with lunches, you only get your just desserts.
2017-09-19 23:42:35 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by krw
I was listening to the omnibus this morning and realised that Toby
and Pip had called each other using some form of video calling rather
than simply talking to each other.
Whilst I realise that such facilities probably exist in this day and
age I have never used them and I wonder if it is automatic for people
of Pip/Toby's ages to do this automatically and not simply make a
voice call?
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited
data plans cheap these days?
Thank you.
Skype is free.
But the data that it uses isn't, unless you've got a more expensive
contract than we'd assumed Pip has.

when people say they're perfectly happy without children, we don't have to
presume they're lying! - Paul Dolan, RT 2015/1/3-9
krw
2017-09-20 10:45:56 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by krw
I was listening to the omnibus this morning and realised that Toby
and Pip had called each other using some form of video calling rather
than simply talking to each other.
Whilst I realise that such facilities probably exist in this day and
age I have never used them and I wonder if it is automatic for people
of Pip/Toby's ages to do this automatically and not simply make a
voice call?
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited
data plans cheap these days?
Thank you.
Skype is free.
But the data that it uses isn't, unless you've got a more expensive
contract than we'd assumed Pip has.
Partly my point. Tobester is living off investments from Pipster and
Kenton as he is giving free gin to Lily. So how can he afford a data
contract for video calls?

Apparently my resident grandson uses such communication with his now
remote father.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Robin Stevens
2017-09-20 17:18:12 UTC
I was listening to the omnibus this morning and realised that Toby and
Pip had called each other using some form of video calling rather than
simply talking to each other.
Whilst I realise that such facilities probably exist in this day and age
I have never used them and I wonder if it is automatic for people of
Pip/Toby's ages to do this automatically and not simply make a voice call?
I assume it eats data like there is no tomorrow - so are unlimited data
plans cheap these days?
I'm not sure I count as young these days, but £29/month from my provider
(12 month contract, no phone included), which to me isn't particularly
cheap. Of course one doesn't need data to be unlimited, simply more than
enough. Or not to care, which might well be true for Toby.

Personally I've never used video chat, and it would seem very odd and
inconvenient to use it in the middle of the street. Were they definitely
using video or could it be that Toby had simply sent a snapshot to Pip?
Mike
2017-09-20 17:41:39 UTC
Post by Robin Stevens
Post by krw
[...]
Tobes remarked that he could see a bovine or two and I think he mentioned
milking paraffin ailia from which I deduced he could see the scene around
Pip on his phone as he mentioned what he could see of her surroundings once
the call was answered.
2017-10-02 20:26:24 UTC
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 17:18:12 +0000 (UTC), Robin Stevens
Post by Robin Stevens
I'm not sure I count as young these days, but £29/month from my provider
(12 month contract, no phone included), which to me isn't particularly
cheap. Of course one doesn't need data to be unlimited, simply more than
enough. Or not to care, which might well be true for Toby.
I get 12Gb/month for a tenner. I rarely use anything like that much,
but then, I don't use video calling. I think I managed to use about
15% of my data one month, while I was away and the wifi was patchy.