OT: Overnight parcel service
2018-06-02 12:19:19 UTC
I ordered something online on Thursday afternoon. I got an email on
Friday lunchtime to say my parcel had been dispatched and I could
track my parcel online.

So when I got home last night I put the tracking number into the
appropriate website [1] and it said there was no information available
until the parcel had been logged into the system and to try again
tomorrow.

So I've just logged into the system and put in the required
information again.

I now see the info that the parcel was sent on 1 June by Overnight
Lightweight Parcel service. It was logged as being at a service hub
at approx 1.30 am 2 June.

There is no other information. No inkling of when it might be
delivered. Given that it's an "overnight" service, and the delivery
company page says "nationwide next day delivery" should I expect it
today, meaning I shouldn't go out this afternoon? Or is it only
overnight on school nights? Saturday is a normal delivery day for
most services - even though I still haven't had an item in the normal
post I've been waiting for and has been assured is on its way.

If I do go out and have to rearrange delivery, how long will that
take? There's no option anywhere to leave instructions to leave it
outside the back door, like I do with all my other deliveries.

[1] According to the website I can track my parcel with APC PinPoint.
2018-06-02 21:20:29 UTC
Post by Fenny
I ordered something online on Thursday afternoon. I got an email on
Friday lunchtime to say my parcel had been dispatched and I could
track my parcel online.
So when I got home last night I put the tracking number into the
appropriate website [1] and it said there was no information available
until the parcel had been logged into the system and to try again
tomorrow.
Parcel tracking seems to offer much more than it actually delivers
(sorry about that).

I ordered something which was at the opposite end of the spectrum from
that. Once I'd confirmed the transaction, I was told the delivery would
take a minimum of one, and a maximum of two, months (slow boat from
China evidently).
Tracking was provided, but nothing at all happened for the first month.
It then moved a couple of times, within China, at the very start of April.
There it stalled - but I couldn't even raise this as a problem until the
full two months had expired.
Flop
2018-06-02 21:52:21 UTC
Post by Fenny
[...]
Parcel delivery checking online is quite good at keeping someone
occupied for a couple of days. Most are overoptimistic; the rest are
fictional.

Ordered - day 0
Despatched (supplier email;Glasgow) - day 1
Checked online - not collected yet - day 1
- not collected yet - day 2
- collected - day 2
- despatched(Glasgow) 16:50 - day 2
- delivered (Reading) 17:45 - day 2

I think they have their own jargon eg "despatched" by the supplier means
"we have put it out for the supplier but not told them yet". Times are
randomly generated.

The only reliable courier I have found is DPD which will tell you how
many deliveries are left and the time the van will get to you. Usually
accurate to ±15minutes.
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
Penny
2018-06-02 22:08:20 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 22:52:21 +0100, Flop <***@flop.knot.me.uk> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Flop
Parcel delivery checking online is quite good at keeping someone
occupied for a couple of days. Most are overoptimistic; the rest are
fictional.
Ordered - day 0
Despatched (supplier email;Glasgow) - day 1
Checked online - not collected yet - day 1
- not collected yet - day 2
- collected - day 2
- despatched(Glasgow) 16:50 - day 2
- delivered (Reading) 17:45 - day 2
I think they have their own jargon eg "despatched" by the supplier means
"we have put it out for the supplier but not told them yet". Times are
randomly generated.
My recent experience has been better than that. Much of it came by Royal
Mail who were quite good at telling me they had heard of my parcel but
hadn't got it yet. Once they got it they delivered in a timely fashion.
Post by Flop
The only reliable courier I have found is DPD which will tell you how
many deliveries are left and the time the van will get to you. Usually
accurate to ±15minutes.
Yes, I was impressed by them - they'd never brought a parcel here before
yet managed to find the house and deliver when they said they would.