Umra Book Club
2018-08-31 07:10:37 UTC
Pat Barker's The Silence Of The Girls is quite brilliant, IMO. I've not
been bonkers about some of her books since the Regeneration Trilogy, but
this is really top class, I think, and I was completely spellbound for
much of it.

Review here, if interested:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R2LFS6UF50D3FM
2018-08-31 09:13:44 UTC
On Fri, 31 Aug 2018 08:10:37 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
Pat Barker's The Silence Of The Girls is quite brilliant, IMO. I've not
been bonkers about some of her books since the Regeneration Trilogy, but
this is really top class, I think, and I was completely spellbound for
much of it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R2LFS6UF50D3FM
I forget who or where recommended MC Beaton as a writer of Regency
romances like Georgette Heyer. I got the Miser of Mayfair. I gave up
after an honest attempt to read it. She is rubbish and does try to get
the language but it slips and the character deliniation and plots are
clunky. I was very disappointed.

Ok I am just a grumpy old woman.
Nick Odell
2018-08-31 09:24:53 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Pat Barker's The Silence Of The Girls is quite brilliant, IMO. I've not
been bonkers about some of her books since the Regeneration Trilogy, but
this is really top class, I think, and I was completely spellbound for
much of it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R2LFS6UF50D3FM
I forget who or where recommended MC Beaton as a writer of Regency
romances like Georgette Heyer. I got the Miser of Mayfair. I gave up
after an honest attempt to read it. She is rubbish and does try to get
the language but it slips and the character deliniation and plots are
clunky. I was very disappointed.
Ok I am just a grumpy old woman.
MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin pops up from time to time on BBC Radio 4Extra.
I find it quite amusing.

Nick
Rosemary Miskin
2018-08-31 09:59:32 UTC
M.C Beaton's Agatha Raisin pops up from time to time on BBC Radio 4Extra.
I find it quite amusing.
And her Hamish Macbeth stories make an amusibgm light read -even if
the murder rate in a remote area of the Highlands seems implausible.

Rosemary
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-08-31 19:00:14 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Pat Barker's The Silence Of The Girls is quite brilliant, IMO. I've not
been bonkers about some of her books since the Regeneration Trilogy, but
this is really top class, I think, and I was completely spellbound for
much of it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R2LFS6UF50D3FM
I forget who or where recommended MC Beaton as a writer of Regency
romances like Georgette Heyer. I got the Miser of Mayfair. I gave up
after an honest attempt to read it. She is rubbish and does try to get
the language but it slips and the character deliniation and plots are
clunky. I was very disappointed.
Ok I am just a grumpy old woman.
MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin pops up from time to time on BBC Radio 4Extra.
I find it quite amusing.
Nick
On Thursday Jill bought a couple of E V Thompson novels in a second hand bookshop in Bangor, County Down, just round the corner from the station. They clearly don't expect customers to read anything twice, as they had an offer to buy any sales back at half price.