Just how big is Brookfield?
Anne B
2017-05-16 22:32:07 UTC
I own to being surprised at how often Brookfield seems to run out of
bedrooms. We had Jill having to move out to allow Heatherpet to move in,
and now we have the boys having to share to make room for Pip. Are there
really all that many traditional houses on sizeable farms with so few
bedrooms?

Anne B
Fenny
2017-05-16 23:06:22 UTC
On Tue, 16 May 2017 23:32:07 +0100, Anne B
Post by Anne B
I own to being surprised at how often Brookfield seems to run out of
bedrooms. We had Jill having to move out to allow Heatherpet to move in,
and now we have the boys having to share to make room for Pip. Are there
really all that many traditional houses on sizeable farms with so few
bedrooms?
Which of Phil & Jill's kids had to share a room? David isn't that
much younger than Shula and Kenton, but Lizzie is a fair bit younger
than all of them.
Anne B
2017-05-17 07:18:16 UTC
Post by Anne B
I own to being surprised at how often Brookfield seems to run out of
bedrooms. We had Jill having to move out to allow Heatherpet to move in,
and now we have the boys having to share to make room for Pip. Are there
really all that many traditional houses on sizeable farms with so few
bedrooms?
Which of Phil & Jill's kids had to share a room? David isn't that
much younger than Shula and Kenton, but Lizzie is a fair bit younger
than all of them.
Now you come to mention it, ISTR a fuss many years ago when Lizzie got
an en-suite bedroom.

And do I recall correctly that at one time there were B and B guests,
OAIAM? Where did they sleep?

Anne B
carolet
2017-05-17 08:07:40 UTC
Post by Anne B
I own to being surprised at how often Brookfield seems to run out of
bedrooms. We had Jill having to move out to allow Heatherpet to move in,
and now we have the boys having to share to make room for Pip. Are there
really all that many traditional houses on sizeable farms with so few
bedrooms?
A few weeks ago we heard Josh complaining that he couldn't work in his
room because Ben was playing his music. I took that to mean that they
were sharing a room then, though I suppose it could have been in the
room next door.
Post by Anne B
Post by Fenny
Which of Phil & Jill's kids had to share a room? David isn't that
much younger than Shula and Kenton, but Lizzie is a fair bit younger
than all of them.
Now you come to mention it, ISTR a fuss many years ago when Lizzie got
an en-suite bedroom.
And do I recall correctly that at one time there were B and B guests,
OAIAM? Where did they sleep?
Anne B
Rickyard?
2017-05-17 08:37:43 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Fenny
Which of Phil & Jill's kids had to share a room? David isn't that
much younger than Shula and Kenton, but Lizzie is a fair bit younger
than all of them.
Now you come to mention it, ISTR a fuss many years ago when Lizzie got
an en-suite bedroom.
And do I recall correctly that at one time there were B and B guests,
OAIAM? Where did they sleep?
Anne B
Rickyard?
It suggests that Brookfield is a four bedroom house (but was a downstairs
room once a bedroom and is now the office or was that an extension?)

I had assumed it was in a nearby room.
Mike
2017-05-17 09:07:13 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by carolet
A few weeks ago we heard Josh complaining that he couldn't work in his
room because Ben was playing his music. I took that to mean that they
were sharing a room then, though I suppose it could have been in the
room next door.
I had assumed it was in a nearby room.
Likewise, that is the impression I had.
2017-05-17 08:10:54 UTC
Post by Anne B
I own to being surprised at how often Brookfield seems to run out of
bedrooms. We had Jill having to move out to allow Heatherpet to move in,
and now we have the boys having to share to make room for Pip. Are there
really all that many traditional houses on sizeable farms with so few
bedrooms?
Which of Phil & Jill's kids had to share a room? David isn't that
much younger than Shula and Kenton, but Lizzie is a fair bit younger
than all of them.
Now you come to mention it, ISTR a fuss many years ago when Lizzie got
an en-suite bedroom.
And do I recall correctly that at one time there were B and B guests,
OAIAM? Where did they sleep?
Anne B
I too recall the en suite issue. By the time Jill was doing B&B there was
nobody other than her and Phil in Brookfield iirc?
2017-05-17 10:41:15 UTC
On Wed, 17 May 2017 08:10:54 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
Post by Anne B
I own to being surprised at how often Brookfield seems to run out of
bedrooms. We had Jill having to move out to allow Heatherpet to move in,
and now we have the boys having to share to make room for Pip. Are there
really all that many traditional houses on sizeable farms with so few
bedrooms?
Which of Phil & Jill's kids had to share a room? David isn't that
much younger than Shula and Kenton, but Lizzie is a fair bit younger
than all of them.
Now you come to mention it, ISTR a fuss many years ago when Lizzie got
an en-suite bedroom.
And do I recall correctly that at one time there were B and B guests,
OAIAM? Where did they sleep?
I too recall the en suite issue. By the time Jill was doing B&B there was
nobody other than her and Phil in Brookfield iirc?
There was a perceived need for a second bathroom - reasonable with several
teenagers in the house - but the only place it could go was as part of
Lizzie's bedroom because of the plumbing needs. Well, that was the story
but without seeing a floorplan it is hard to imagine a house where a second
bathroom (presumably next to the existing one to make use of existing
drainage) could not have its own access door off the landing. Anyway,
Lizzie got it en suite and made Phil cross by spending a ridiculous amount
on pink tiles (bleugh).
2017-05-17 10:47:25 UTC
Post by Anne B
I own to being surprised at how often Brookfield seems to run out of
bedrooms. We had Jill having to move out to allow Heatherpet to move in,
and now we have the boys having to share to make room for Pip. Are there
really all that many traditional houses on sizeable farms with so few
bedrooms?
Which of Phil & Jill's kids had to share a room? David isn't that
much younger than Shula and Kenton, but Lizzie is a fair bit younger
than all of them.
Now you come to mention it, ISTR a fuss many years ago when Lizzie got
an en-suite bedroom.
And do I recall correctly that at one time there were B and B guests,
OAIAM? Where did they sleep?
Anne B
I too recall the en suite issue. By the time Jill was doing B&B there was
nobody other than her and Phil in Brookfield iirc?
I thought they did B&B using Rickyard for the Bed and Brookfield kitchen
for the Breakfast?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-05-17 11:05:35 UTC
Post by Anne B
[...]
Possibly right but my point is that back then I think there were empty
bedrooms?
Jane Vernon
2017-05-17 11:58:05 UTC
Post by Anne B
I own to being surprised at how often Brookfield seems to run out of
bedrooms. We had Jill having to move out to allow Heatherpet to move in,
and now we have the boys having to share to make room for Pip. Are there
really all that many traditional houses on sizeable farms with so few
bedrooms?
Which of Phil & Jill's kids had to share a room? David isn't that
much younger than Shula and Kenton, but Lizzie is a fair bit younger
than all of them.
Now you come to mention it, ISTR a fuss many years ago when Lizzie got
an en-suite bedroom.
And do I recall correctly that at one time there were B and B guests,
OAIAM? Where did they sleep?
Anne B
I too recall the en suite issue. By the time Jill was doing B&B there was
nobody other than her and Phil in Brookfield iirc?
Where was David living then? I can't remember him living anywhere
except Brookfield.
--
Jane
BTME

2017-05-17 12:24:00 UTC
On Wed, 17 May 2017 12:58:05 +0100, Jane Vernon
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Btms
I too recall the en suite issue. By the time Jill was doing B&B there was
nobody other than her and Phil in Brookfield iirc?
Where was David living then? I can't remember him living anywhere
except Brookfield.
The Bungalow was built for David and Ruth in 1990. Jill offering holiday
accommodation, presumably Rickyard and perhaps the never-mentioned flat in
one of the barns, seems to have happened in the same year. B&B was later I
think and the Encyclopedia does mention it in relation to the en suite.
2017-05-17 17:22:09 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Btms
Post by Anne B
[...]
He had a year in Yurp - Holland IRRC. There was a recent reference between
him and Jill?

2017-05-17 08:36:09 UTC
Post by Anne B
I own to being surprised at how often Brookfield seems to run out of
bedrooms. We had Jill having to move out to allow Heatherpet to move in,
and now we have the boys having to share to make room for Pip. Are there
really all that many traditional houses on sizeable farms with so few
bedrooms?
Which of Phil & Jill's kids had to share a room? David isn't that
much younger than Shula and Kenton, but Lizzie is a fair bit younger
than all of them.
Now you come to mention it, ISTR a fuss many years ago when Lizzie got
an en-suite bedroom.
And do I recall correctly that at one time there were B and B guests,
OAIAM? Where did they sleep?
Anne B
Rickyard Cottage has always been b and b in my memory, my TA books live now
on a shelf that requires a step stool or McT'/ long arms

Sincerely Chris
Marjorie
2017-05-17 08:33:55 UTC
Post by Anne B
I own to being surprised at how often Brookfield seems to run out of
bedrooms. We had Jill having to move out to allow Heatherpet to move in,
and now we have the boys having to share to make room for Pip. Are there
really all that many traditional houses on sizeable farms with so few
bedrooms?
I think it probable that each child had their own bedroom in the past,
and that Brookfield mysteriously lost a bedroom at around the same time
as Blossom hill cottage gained one. This was all done to facilitate the
plot: Ursula could come and harass Helen, and Jill would have to move
out to make way for Heatherpet, despite having a cottage of her own that
she had chosen to rent out to Carole. We were asked to believe that Pip
(and all her personal possessions, clothes etc) were "in a corner of the
dining room", and Rickyard was forgotten for a while.

This should remind us just how bad things were during SOCO's reign, and
how much better they are now.
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje

---
http://www.avg.com
krw
2017-05-17 11:29:20 UTC
and how much better they are now.
I have reason to doubt that given the Home Farm nonsense, the failure to
sort out George's thieving ways, the way in which Nic conspired against
her own husband, the strange shenanigans over finances at the vets, the
disappearance of Dr Locke, a lot of droning on about drones, the entire
gin business without a proper business plan, nonsense about Brighton and
probably much more.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Marjorie
2017-05-18 16:26:43 UTC
and how much better they are now.
I have reason to doubt that given the Home Farm nonsense, the failure to
sort out George's thieving ways, the way in which Nic conspired against
her own husband, the strange shenanigans over finances at the vets, the
disappearance of Dr Locke, a lot of droning on about drones, the entire
gin business without a proper business plan, nonsense about Brighton and
probably much more.
I was glad to hear Nic conspire against her prejudiced, grumpy old man
of a husband.

But the rest of these dropped stitches mostly go back to SOCO's time.
Huw the Hyphen has his work cut out to knit them all back into the plot
in a plausible manner. I think he's doing quite well.

Of course there are still things to niggle about - there always were -
but somehow it is back to normal niggles, not the deep gloom that many
of us felt while characters were being dropped or transformed, stories
left unresolved, buildings redesigned, and past events reinvented.

http://www.avg.com
Nick Odell
2017-05-18 19:21:30 UTC
On Thu, 18 May 2017 17:26:43 +0100, Marjorie
<***@springequinox.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>
Post by Marjorie
Of course there are still things to niggle about - there always were -
but somehow it is back to normal niggles, not the deep gloom that many
of us felt while characters were being dropped or transformed, stories
left unresolved, buildings redesigned, and past events reinvented.
One niggle I have is that Niggle is no longer there to niggle about :(

2017-05-18 19:55:23 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Of course there are still things to niggle about - there always were -
but somehow it is back to normal niggles, not the deep gloom that many
of us felt while characters were being dropped or transformed, stories
left unresolved, buildings redesigned, and past events reinvented.
One niggle I have is that Niggle is no longer there to niggle about :(
Nick
It is a Niggle that Nigel is no longer a giggle,
And we mourn the forlorn loss we grieve for.
If we all shouted loudly and protested quite roundly,
Might the hyphen one hear us?
Not likely.
2017-05-18 20:39:52 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Of course there are still things to niggle about - there always were -
but somehow it is back to normal niggles, not the deep gloom that many
of us felt while characters were being dropped or transformed, stories
left unresolved, buildings redesigned, and past events reinvented.
One niggle I have is that Niggle is no longer there to niggle about :(
Nick
It is a Niggle that Nigel is no longer a giggle,
And we mourn the forlorn loss we grieve for.
If we all shouted loudly and protested quite roundly,
Might the hyphen one hear us?
Not likely.
Actually I would behappy for Elizabeth to come out of the shower and
everything frpm just before the NYE party Nigel died at was a dream.
None of it happened. Not Rob, not Nigel falling, the party goes well
and some other pleasant and enjoyable event happens. When did Mat go
off and turn nasty? That didn't happen either.
2017-05-18 21:22:40 UTC
On Thu, 18 May 2017 19:55:23 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
Post by Marjorie
Of course there are still things to niggle about - there always were -
but somehow it is back to normal niggles, not the deep gloom that many
of us felt while characters were being dropped or transformed, stories
left unresolved, buildings redesigned, and past events reinvented.
One niggle I have is that Niggle is no longer there to niggle about :(
Nick
It is a Niggle that Nigel is no longer a giggle,
And we mourn the forlorn loss we grieve for.
If we all shouted loudly and protested quite roundly,
Might the hyphen one hear us?
Not likely.
Come on boys and girls, all together now,
"I believe in Nigel!"
I can't decide if that is a long rubbish haiku or a rubbish limerick.
Btms
2017-05-19 06:38:54 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Of course there are still things to niggle about - there always were -
but somehow it is back to normal niggles, not the deep gloom that many
of us felt while characters were being dropped or transformed, stories
left unresolved, buildings redesigned, and past events reinvented.
One niggle I have is that Niggle is no longer there to niggle about :(
Nick
It is a Niggle that Nigel is no longer a giggle,
And we mourn the forlorn loss we grieve for.
If we all shouted loudly and protested quite roundly,
Might the hyphen one hear us?
Not likely.
I can't decide if that is a long rubbish haiku or a rubbish limerick.
I thought it was a rubbish limerick when I wrote it but you may know
better. But I like it.
2017-05-19 08:34:52 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Of course there are still things to niggle about - there always were -
but somehow it is back to normal niggles, not the deep gloom that many
of us felt while characters were being dropped or transformed, stories
left unresolved, buildings redesigned, and past events reinvented.
One niggle I have is that Niggle is no longer there to niggle about :(
Nick
It is a Niggle that Nigel is no longer a giggle,
And we mourn the forlorn loss we grieve for.
If we all shouted loudly
and protested quite roundly,
Might the hyphen one hear us? >>> Not likely.
I can't decide if that is a long rubbish haiku or a rubbish limerick.
I thought it was a rubbish limerick when I wrote it but you may know
better. But I like it.
The traditional layout is 5 lines as I've rearranged it above.

It's also traditional for lines 1,2 and 5 to rhyme. "Roundly" does not
rhyme with "loudly" either and line 1 doesn't scan properly.

Apart from that, spot on ! :)

DINTAFPOU ?
Btms
2017-05-19 09:24:59 UTC
Post by Marjorie
[...]
Well yes....but John Donne was condemned for breaking form, so pedantry is
fine but may not be the definitive critique. And the umra convention is
based upon SODAM's following of the school of McG. That said, her Ode to
Elly May was outstanding and actually worked. But this was an early work
and her later offerings were impressively close to the rhythm of the great
bridge disaster.
Yebbut even the great McGonagall didn't claim his works were limericks.
Btms
2017-05-19 10:54:05 UTC
Post by Marjorie
[...]
A bad limerick. I reckon it could hardly be outdone for bad. ๐Ÿ˜„
True :)
krw
2017-05-19 10:20:08 UTC
And the umra convention is
based upon SODAM's following of the school of McG. That said, her Ode to
Elly May was outstanding and actually worked. But this was an early work
and her later offerings were impressively close to the rhythm of the great
bridge disaster.
Hardly fair as she is not here to defend herself.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-05-19 10:54:05 UTC
And the umra convention is
based upon SODAM's following of the school of McG. That said, her Ode to
Elly May was outstanding and actually worked. But this was an early work
and her later offerings were impressively close to the rhythm of the great
bridge disaster.
Hardly fair as she is not here to defend herself.
But I have sent it to her. ๐Ÿ˜Š.
2017-05-19 10:58:52 UTC
Post by Marjorie
[...]
If it is school of McGyver, ought there not be mention of a Swiss Army
penknife somewhere?

2017-05-19 10:36:24 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by krw
[...]
Huw the hyphen. Must remember that one

2017-05-19 10:54:05 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by krw
[...]
Suggest he shall be: The Hyphen. We had the beetle and the SocPuppet.
I thought we'd already agreed on Huw Kinnel-He ?
krw
2017-05-19 11:57:22 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by krw
[...]
I had been calling him Jamiroquai.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-05-19 13:15:08 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by krw
[...]
I haven't seen this option. Whatever is easy or appeals.
2017-05-19 14:35:30 UTC
On Fri, 19 May 2017 13:21:04 +0200, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
Suggest he shall be: The Hyphen. We had the beetle and the SocPuppet.
I thought we'd already agreed on Huw Kinnel-He ?
I don't recall seeing that but have used 'kinnel .
2017-05-19 20:00:34 UTC
Post by BrritSki
I thought we'd already agreed on Huw Kinnel-He ?
FVO "we". The rest of us just try and work out Huw the Kinnel you're
all on about.