OT: Photographic Software
Mike Ruddock
2017-05-08 10:42:36 UTC
Can anyone point me at some software to enable me to catalogue, edit and
print out my digital photographs.

I don't need any of those very complex things which tell me the range of
wavelengths present in the picture. I just want to be able to print the
pictures out in a range of sizes.

Mike Ruddock
Penny
2017-05-08 11:16:10 UTC
On Mon, 8 May 2017 11:42:36 +0100, Mike Ruddock <***@btinternet.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Mike Ruddock
Can anyone point me at some software to enable me to catalogue, edit and
print out my digital photographs.
Cataloguing? No
I use Irfanview for most things http://www.irfanview.com/ it's small but
pretty comprehensive, the only limitations are a lack of 'layers' and fancy
selection tools.
Post by Mike Ruddock
I just want to be able to print the
pictures out in a range of sizes.
That would be down to the selections made in the printer dialogue and the
capabilities of your printer.
Simplest solution, put the files on a stick and take it to Boots :)
2017-05-08 18:34:24 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Can anyone point me at some software to enable me to catalogue, edit and
print out my digital photographs.
Cataloguing? No
I use Irfanview for most things http://www.irfanview.com/ it's small but
pretty comprehensive, the only limitations are a lack of 'layers' and fancy
selection tools.
I was going to say the same: IrfanView plus Windows Explorer (to put
them into folders and subfolders).

I also like using it to edit embedded text: I then C when viewing one.
That has the advantage over other methods that the text actually becomes
part of the file, so doesn't get separated from it, however often you
move it (it even survives emailing).

I think the main thing to decide is, do you want to create "albums"
where the same picture may appear in more than one album? Things like
"dog pictures" and "family pictures", where there might be an image of a
family with their dog that you'd want to be in both "albums". If you
_do_ want to do this, there's no alternative but to use one of the fancy
cataloguing utilities. I don't like those because they basically compile
lists of the files in question - which lists then break if you move a
file. But if you want this ("tagging", or the same thing by another
name), then you have no option. (Well, you could I suppose put multiple
copies of the images in the relevant folders; disc space is cheap these
days - but I have a strong dislike of duplicates of any sort (not least
because they tend to diverge: I would never remember where all the
others are, so if say editing the comments, I'd not do them all the
same).)
Post by Penny
Post by Mike Ruddock
I just want to be able to print the
pictures out in a range of sizes.
IV will let you pick size and position on the page (and optionally will
also print the comments, and/or the filename, with or without path. And
other parameters if you want [e. g. size, date of taking]).
Post by Penny
That would be down to the selections made in the printer dialogue and the
capabilities of your printer.
Well, IV will do size and position; quality is indeed a function of what
you do when printing.
Post by Penny
Simplest solution, put the files on a stick and take it to Boots :)
(-: IV will also print out all the pictures in a folder, several to a
page (and you can play with the sizes/number of rows and columns), via
its thumbnail and contact sheet facilities.

(It _does_ also have the histogram feature you said you don't need, but
of course you don't have to use it; I forget where it is, though I think
it is one of the toolbar buttons. Though the toolbar is configurable
anyway.)

Religion often uses faith as a blindfold, saying anyone who doesn't believe
the same as us must be wiped out. It's not God saying that. It's people, which
is so dangerous. - Jenny Agutter, RT 2015/1/17-23
Penny
2017-05-08 21:09:41 UTC
On Mon, 8 May 2017 19:34:24 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(-: IV will also print out all the pictures in a folder, several to a
page (and you can play with the sizes/number of rows and columns), via
its thumbnail and contact sheet facilities.
I'd forgotten, I've used it in the past to produce simple web pages of
photos - a sort of thumbnail 'contact sheet' which clicks through to a
larger image http://www.labyrinths.plus.com/fish/

It's a very clever little program if you take the time to explore.
Marjorie
2017-05-15 10:36:44 UTC
Post by Penny
Simplest solution, put the files on a stick and take it to Boots :)
(-: IV will also print out all the pictures in a folder, several to a
page (and you can play with the sizes/number of rows and columns), via
its thumbnail and contact sheet facilities.
(It _does_ also have the histogram feature you said you don't need, but
of course you don't have to use it; I forget where it is, though I think
it is one of the toolbar buttons. Though the toolbar is configurable
anyway.)
I am pleased to see these recommendations for Irfanview, as I have just
installed it. This is because the Photos app in Win 10 has once again
stopped working. It did this once before, and was out of action for some
months, and then suddenly appeared again after a Windows update. I can
see on the internet that lots of other people are having the same
problem, and suggesting very complicated fixes, but bypasing Photos and
using Irfanview sounds like the best solution.
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje

---
http://www.avg.com
BrritSki
2017-05-15 10:54:37 UTC
Post by Marjorie
I am pleased to see these recommendations for Irfanview, as I have just
installed it. This is because the Photos app in Win 10 has once again
stopped working. It did this once before, and was out of action for some
months, and then suddenly appeared again after a Windows update. I can
see on the internet that lots of other people are having the same
problem, and suggesting very complicated fixes, but bypasing Photos and
using Irfanview sounds like the best solution.
I am not a user of Photos app or Irfan View. On Win10 I was using the
built-in app for the small amount of editing I do (mainly cropping and
rotating, very rarely do I adjust brightness or other settings), but now
that my Win10 laptop is away for repair I am using Picturetrail for the
the basic editing functions.
<https://www.picturetrail.com/webpages/editor/product.shtml>

I must put in a word for Jim Easterbrook's Photini software though which
I use when creating albums in either Facebook or Flickr. No image
editing capability, but lets you change names and add descriptions very
weasily (TWATBILI) as well as add other tags before uploading.

Very smooth and professional as you'd expect from Jim :)
Mike
2017-05-15 10:56:34 UTC
Post by Marjorie
[...]
And stoatily useable?
2017-05-09 10:40:57 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I just want to be able to print the
pictures out in a range of sizes.
That would be down to the selections made in the printer dialogue and the
capabilities of your printer.
Simplest solution, put the files on a stick and take it to Boots :)
And ask the staff to do the computery sales part. The sales screens are
mega fast.

2017-05-08 18:43:26 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Can anyone point me at some software to enable me to catalogue, edit and
print out my digital photographs.
I don't need any of those very complex things which tell me the range of
wavelengths present in the picture. I just want to be able to print the
pictures out in a range of sizes.
Windows Photo Gallery might be a good option. I don't, generaly, use it
for printing but I think it allows you to print in a range of sizes.

I use it a lot for cataloguing pictures and doing some basic editing
(things like cropping, straightening, or adjusting the colour balance).
It wouldn't be right for you if you want a full picture editor though.
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the
continent, a part of the main. (John Donne)