Sniff - spoiler 23/1/18 Tuesday
2018-01-23 21:34:39 UTC
Nolly is never going to see Peggy again, is she? She will go to SA and
Peggy will die soon. That was a sad scene. And I was right about
Alice. She is not doing Dry January. Is the sstuff about the bloke at
work sudden? Is that why she is discontented there?

a***@gmail.com
2018-01-23 22:26:02 UTC

Or are the script writers just trying to make us think that (about Peggy) and planning some entirely different twist.
a***@gmail.com
2018-01-23 22:47:13 UTC

Where is the "edit" button? I failed to type a question mark.
Btms
2018-01-24 06:53:58 UTC
Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nolly is never going to see Peggy again, is she? She will go to SA and
> Peggy will die soon. That was a sad scene. And I was right about
> Alice. She is not doing Dry January. Is the sstuff about the bloke at
> work sudden? Is that why she is discontented there?

Well, if I was 90 I would think it unlikely this gr8 granddaughter would be
unlikely to return to uk in my lifetime.

2018-01-24 06:55:08 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
> Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nolly is never going to see Peggy again, is she? She will go to SA and
>> Peggy will die soon. That was a sad scene. And I was right about
>> Alice. She is not doing Dry January. Is the sstuff about the bloke at
>> work sudden? Is that why she is discontented there?
>>

> Well, if I was 90 I would think it unlikely this gr8 granddaughter would be
> unlikely to return to uk in my lifetime.

Oh dear. You know what I mean!

2018-01-24 08:27:34 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
> Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
>> Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> Nolly is never going to see Peggy again, is she? She will go to SA and
>>> Peggy will die soon. That was a sad scene. And I was right about
>>> Alice. She is not doing Dry January. Is the sstuff about the bloke at
>>> work sudden? Is that why she is discontented there?
>>>

>> Well, if I was 90 I would think it unlikely this gr8 granddaughter would be
>> unlikely to return to uk in my lifetime.
>>

> Oh dear. You know what I mean!

I did:-)

And agree with the sentiment.

2018-01-24 08:38:52 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 06:55:08 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
>> Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> v
>>> Nolly is never going to see Peggy again, is she? She will go to SA and
>>> Peggy will die soon. That was a sad scene. And I was right about
>>> Alice. She is not doing Dry January. Is the sstuff about the bloke at
>>> work sudden? Is that why she is discontented there?
>>>

>> Well, if I was 90 I would think it unlikely this gr8 granddaughter would be
>> unlikely to return to uk in my lifetime.
>>

>Oh dear. You know what I mean!

I do and I liked that scene, if only because Peggy, unlike so many elderly
people did not upset her ggdaughter by saying she wouldn't live long enough
to see her again. My father*, only in his 80s at the time (he died aged
94), when invited to d#2's wedding said, "I might be dead by then.". I've
heard of other elderly chaps doing similar.

*which reminds me, is Joe Grundy, still getting out and about with the
aging Bartleby, going to carry on for another 3.5 years and get his
'telegram' from whoever is monarch at the time?
the Omrud
2018-01-24 11:45:41 UTC
On 24/01/2018 08:38, Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 06:55:08 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Well, if I was 90 I would think it unlikely this gr8 granddaughter would be
>>> unlikely to return to uk in my lifetime.
>>>

>> Oh dear. You know what I mean!
>
> I do and I liked that scene, if only because Peggy, unlike so many elderly
> people did not upset her ggdaughter by saying she wouldn't live long enough
> to see her again. My father*, only in his 80s at the time (he died aged
> 94), when invited to d#2's wedding said, "I might be dead by then.". I've
> heard of other elderly chaps doing similar.

My mother says it every time I phone to let her know I'll be visiting on
Thursday (or whatever). However, this is the very least of her many,
many annoying habits.

David
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-01-24 11:58:56 UTC
In message <Fl_9C.521036$***@fx14.am4>, the Omrud
<***@gmail.com> writes:
>On 24/01/2018 08:38, Penny wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 06:55:08 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
>> scrawled in the dust...

>>> Oh dear. You know what I mean!
>> I do and I liked that scene, if only because Peggy, unlike so many

I thought it was a nice scene anyway. (Was/is the term Nol* kept using,
a South-African one?)

>>elderly
>> people did not upset her ggdaughter by saying she wouldn't live long enough

Yes, they do tend to do it, don't they! Sometimes it's done in a joking
manner, which _may_ be OK - _once_.

>> to see her again. My father*, only in his 80s at the time (he died aged
>> 94), when invited to d#2's wedding said, "I might be dead by then.". I've
>> heard of other elderly chaps doing similar.
>
>My mother says it every time I phone to let her know I'll be visiting
>on Thursday (or whatever). However, this is the very least of her
>many, many annoying habits.

Serious suggestions on how to discourage the habit? (I don't have any
such relations left, and the only person I can think of among my
friends, who was 80 earlier this month, is so full of beans that I
forget her age whenever I see her - she's a tiny bundle of energy. I
bought her a bird-box with camera [Lidl!], which she seemed delighted
with; she loves watching the birds.) If the "if I'm spared" _is_ done in
a jocular manner, you could take to replying something similarly jocular
about the will - but that could backfire badly.

Mike Jackson |\ _,,,---,,_
and Squeak /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ Shame there's no snooze button
[1998] |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'- on a cat who wants breakfast
zzz '---''(_/--' `-'\_)
Penny
2018-01-24 12:24:38 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:58:56 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>>> to see her again. My father*, only in his 80s at the time (he died aged
>>> 94), when invited to d#2's wedding said, "I might be dead by then.". I've
>>> heard of other elderly chaps doing similar.
>>
>>My mother says it every time I phone to let her know I'll be visiting
>>on Thursday (or whatever). However, this is the very least of her
>>many, many annoying habits.
>>
>Serious suggestions on how to discourage the habit? (I don't have any
>such relations left, and the only person I can think of among my
>friends, who was 80 earlier this month, is so full of beans that I
>forget her age whenever I see her - she's a tiny bundle of energy. I
>bought her a bird-box with camera [Lidl!], which she seemed delighted
>with; she loves watching the birds.) If the "if I'm spared" _is_ done in
>a jocular manner, you could take to replying something similarly jocular
>about the will - but that could backfire badly.

I'm not sure any sort of 'jocular' manner would make it any less
shocking/upsetting to a much younger person. In fact I've just remembered a
close friend, only 20 years my senior, who managed to upset me, or at least
stop conversation in its tracks every time he referred to his own
'expected' death. He wasn't in the best of health but lived for about 15
years after he first mentioned it and we did have a sensible conversation
(he had vascular dementia) a couple of months before he died.

I suppose the come back 'we can but hope' might shock the elderly person
out of it.
2018-01-24 12:48:34 UTC
On 24/01/2018 12:24, Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:58:56 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
> <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>>> My mother says it every time I phone to let her know I'll be visiting
>>> on Thursday (or whatever). However, this is the very least of her
>>> many, many annoying habits.
>>>
>> Serious suggestions on how to discourage the habit? (I don't have any
>> such relations left, and the only person I can think of among my
>> friends, who was 80 earlier this month, is so full of beans that I
>> forget her age whenever I see her - she's a tiny bundle of energy. I
>> bought her a bird-box with camera [Lidl!], which she seemed delighted
>> with; she loves watching the birds.) If the "if I'm spared" _is_ done in
>> a jocular manner, you could take to replying something similarly jocular
>> about the will - but that could backfire badly.
>
> I'm not sure any sort of 'jocular' manner would make it any less
> shocking/upsetting to a much younger person.

I have known a couple elderly people who have used the expression as a
kind of moral blackmail, which was quite in keeping with their rather
selfish personalities. I grew up with parents who had both survived
massive health challenges during WW2, constantly marvelled at their
survival (and my existence) and often discussed their ptential demise in
a very practical way. Their experiences seemed to engender a strong
tendency to black humour. Mum in her eighties would often say "I'm
really only sticking around until..(whatever event she was looking
forward to)" and would then follow this with some quip connected to the
idea of kicking the bucket.

After a preponderance of recent funerals, I now feel a need to address
the practicalities around my own death. Our children were a little
surprised when I announced that we needed to have a family meeting for
the death conversation but they now think it's quite entertaining and
are eagerly anticipating what they call the Death Summit which seems to
have taken on the guise of something like the WEF in Davos - they have
asked about keynote speakers and catering...

Shortly after the distressing experience of our cat's death, Son-in-Law
made me laugh by reassuring me that when my time came he would be quite
willing to take me to the vet.

In fact I've just remembered a
> close friend, only 20 years my senior, who managed to upset me, or at least
> stop conversation in its tracks every time he referred to his own
> 'expected' death. He wasn't in the best of health but lived for about 15
> years after he first mentioned it and we did have a sensible conversation
> (he had vascular dementia) a couple of months before he died.
>
> I suppose the come back 'we can but hope' might shock the elderly person
> out of it.

I think that's rather funny: my parents would have greatly appreciated
such a comment.

2018-01-24 14:43:51 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 12:48:34 +0000, LFS <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Our children were a little
>surprised when I announced that we needed to have a family meeting for
>the death conversation but they now think it's quite entertaining and
>are eagerly anticipating what they call the Death Summit which seems to
>have taken on the guise of something like the WEF in Davos - they have
>asked about keynote speakers and catering...

I'm wondering about themed food.....etc

2018-01-24 15:48:11 UTC
On 24-Jan-18 02:43 PM, Vicky wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 12:48:34 +0000, LFS<***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Our children were a little
>> surprised when I announced that we needed to have a family meeting for
>> the death conversation but they now think it's quite entertaining and
>> are eagerly anticipating what they call the Death Summit which seems to
>> have taken on the guise of something like the WEF in Davos - they have
>> asked about keynote speakers and catering...
>
> I'm wondering about themed food.....etc
>
> --
One of my favourites, as a child, was a pudding my mother called Dead Baby.

I think it was basically just a boiled suet pudding, served with syrup.
(See recent ref to Batter Pudding - we ate a lot of golden syrup, and
treacle, in those days!)

2018-01-24 15:55:39 UTC
On 24-Jan-18 03:48 PM, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> One of my favourites, as a child, was a pudding my mother called Dead Baby.
>
> I think it was basically just a boiled suet pudding, served with syrup.
> (See recent ref to Batter Pudding - we ate a lot of golden syrup, and
> treacle, in those days!)

(Excuse the bad form, please!)

I just goggled Dead Baby pudding and a lot of people remember something
called that, although one person said it was pink blancmange, which ours
definitely wasn't, and several said it was Jam Roly Poly which I don't
think ours was either. I'm sure we knew JRP as (Jam) Roly Poly or as
Baked Jam Roll and our JRP WAS always baked. I'm sure DB was boiled.

BTW, another fave was dumplings with syrup.

I'm reminded of a recipe I have somewhere for dumplings done in the oven
in a lemon sauce - must seek that out again!
2018-01-24 18:38:16 UTC
On 24/01/2018 15:55, Jenny M Benson wrote:

> I'm reminded of a recipe I have somewhere for dumplings done in the oven
> in a lemon sauce - must seek that out again!

Oh, do! They sound yummy!

My grandma used to make a delicious sponge pudding with beef bone marrow.

2018-01-24 19:31:06 UTC
On 24-Jan-18 06:38 PM, LFS wrote:
> On 24/01/2018 15:55, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>

>> I'm reminded of a recipe I have somewhere for dumplings done in the
>> oven in a lemon sauce - must seek that out again!
>
> Oh, do! They sound yummy!
>
> My grandma used to make a delicious sponge pudding with beef bone marrow.

Well all I can say is "thank goodness I started that search just AFTER
finishing my dinner!" - Like the advice never to go shopping when you're
hungry.

Here it is - and feel free to copy to the Umra Cook Book if you wish, Jane.

2 oz Suet
4 oz SR Flour
Water
1 oz Caster Sugar
Rind of 1 Lemon
Make 6-8 dumplings.

4 Tbsp Lemon Curd
4 Tbps Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Water.
Pour into a casserole dish. Put dumplings on. Cover & bake at
425F/220C/Mk7 for 25 mins.
2018-01-24 21:49:55 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 19:31:06 +0000, Jenny M Benson
<***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 24-Jan-18 06:38 PM, LFS wrote:
>> On 24/01/2018 15:55, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>

>>> I'm reminded of a recipe I have somewhere for dumplings done in the
>>> oven in a lemon sauce - must seek that out again!
>>
>> Oh, do! They sound yummy!
>>
>> My grandma used to make a delicious sponge pudding with beef bone marrow.
>>

>Well all I can say is "thank goodness I started that search just AFTER
>finishing my dinner!" - Like the advice never to go shopping when you're
>hungry.
>
>Here it is - and feel free to copy to the Umra Cook Book if you wish, Jane.
>
>2 oz Suet
>4 oz SR Flour
>Water
>1 oz Caster Sugar
>Rind of 1 Lemon
>Make 6-8 dumplings.
>
>4 Tbsp Lemon Curd
>4 Tbps Lemon Juice
>2 Tbsp Water.
>Pour into a casserole dish. Put dumplings on. Cover & bake at
>425F/220C/Mk7 for 25 mins.

My mother used to make dumplings with potatoes and flour and possibly
egg. Those were boiled and then covered with fried breadcrumbs,
cinnamon and sugar. The dough could also be wrapped around a plum or
apricot with the stone replaced with a lump of sugar, which was boiled
and then covered with breadcrumbs fried and sugar. She also made one
large dumpling to cut into slices with meat dishes too but I think
that was with bread not potato.

2018-01-25 18:38:25 UTC
On 24/01/2018 21:49, Vicky wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 19:31:06 +0000, Jenny M Benson
> <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Oh, do! They sound yummy!
>>>
>>> My grandma used to make a delicious sponge pudding with beef bone marrow.
>>>

>> Well all I can say is "thank goodness I started that search just AFTER
>> finishing my dinner!" - Like the advice never to go shopping when you're
>> hungry.
>>
>> Here it is - and feel free to copy to the Umra Cook Book if you wish, Jane.
>>
>> 2 oz Suet
>> 4 oz SR Flour
>> Water
>> 1 oz Caster Sugar
>> Rind of 1 Lemon
>> Make 6-8 dumplings.
>>
>> 4 Tbsp Lemon Curd
>> 4 Tbps Lemon Juice
>> 2 Tbsp Water.
>> Pour into a casserole dish. Put dumplings on. Cover & bake at
>> 425F/220C/Mk7 for 25 mins.
>
> My mother used to make dumplings with potatoes and flour and possibly
> egg. Those were boiled and then covered with fried breadcrumbs,
> cinnamon and sugar. The dough could also be wrapped around a plum or
> apricot with the stone replaced with a lump of sugar, which was boiled
> and then covered with breadcrumbs fried and sugar. She also made one
> large dumpling to cut into slices with meat dishes too but I think
> that was with bread not potato.

Oh yes! I remember these in Austria. Marillenknoedeln. Or
Zwetschgenknoedeln. A bit complicated, so only on highdays and holidays.
Delicious.

The large ones were called Serviettenknoedeln, and were made out of old
bread rolls cut up, soaked and squeezed, seasoned, and then boiled in a
napkin, and then sliced and sometimes fried. In the mountains they
called them Tirolerknoedeln (with bits of bacon), sliced and fried for
breakfast before a day's walking or skiing, very sustaining.

Here is a YouTube of making Marillenknoedeln, with a soft cheese (quark)
dough, though he says you can use potato as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmR87wMzRd0

2018-01-25 18:58:30 UTC
Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/01/2018 21:49, Vicky wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 19:31:06 +0000, Jenny M Benson
>> <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Well all I can say is "thank goodness I started that search just AFTER
>>> finishing my dinner!" - Like the advice never to go shopping when you're
>>> hungry.
>>>
>>> Here it is - and feel free to copy to the Umra Cook Book if you wish, Jane.
>>>
>>> 2 oz Suet
>>> 4 oz SR Flour
>>> Water
>>> 1 oz Caster Sugar
>>> Rind of 1 Lemon
>>> Make 6-8 dumplings.
>>>
>>> 4 Tbsp Lemon Curd
>>> 4 Tbps Lemon Juice
>>> 2 Tbsp Water.
>>> Pour into a casserole dish. Put dumplings on. Cover & bake at
>>> 425F/220C/Mk7 for 25 mins.
>>
>> My mother used to make dumplings with potatoes and flour and possibly
>> egg. Those were boiled and then covered with fried breadcrumbs,
>> cinnamon and sugar. The dough could also be wrapped around a plum or
>> apricot with the stone replaced with a lump of sugar, which was boiled
>> and then covered with breadcrumbs fried and sugar. She also made one
>> large dumpling to cut into slices with meat dishes too but I think
>> that was with bread not potato.
>>

> Oh yes! I remember these in Austria. Marillenknoedeln. Or
> Zwetschgenknoedeln. A bit complicated, so only on highdays and holidays.
> Delicious.
>
> The large ones were called Serviettenknoedeln, and were made out of old
> bread rolls cut up, soaked and squeezed, seasoned, and then boiled in a
> napkin, and then sliced and sometimes fried. In the mountains they
> called them Tirolerknoedeln (with bits of bacon), sliced and fried for
> breakfast before a day's walking or skiing, very sustaining.
>
> Here is a YouTube of making Marillenknoedeln, with a soft cheese (quark)
> dough, though he says you can use potato as well:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmR87wMzRd0

How dare you Kate? Please wash your mouth out!

a***@gmail.com
2018-01-25 19:23:20 UTC
A few years ago I bought in Germany a South Tyrolean book on dumplings, but all the recipes made prodigiously large quantities, so I have never yet made them up.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-01-25 18:59:30 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Kate B
<***@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes:
[]
>Oh yes! I remember these in Austria. Marillenknoedeln. Or
>Zwetschgenknoedeln. A bit complicated, so only on highdays and
>holidays. Delicious.
[]
>Here is a YouTube of making Marillenknoedeln, with a soft cheese
>(quark) dough, though he says you can use potato as well:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmR87wMzRd0

I thought Marillen meant apricots (lemons are Zitronen); I certainly had
a little round bottle of Marillenlikör someone brought me, which had
pictures of apricots on the label (and was very nice).

If vegetarians eat vegetables,..beware of humanitarians!
Kate B
2018-01-25 21:14:43 UTC
On 25/01/2018 18:59, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Kate B
> <***@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes:
> []
>> Oh yes! I remember these in Austria. Marillenknoedeln. Or
>> Zwetschgenknoedeln. A bit complicated, so only on highdays and
>> holidays. Delicious.
> []
>> Here is a YouTube of making Marillenknoedeln, with a soft cheese
>> (quark) dough, though he says you can use potato as well:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmR87wMzRd0
>>
> I thought Marillen meant apricots (lemons are Zitronen); I certainly had
> a little round bottle of Marillenlikör someone brought me, which had
> pictures of apricots on the label (and was very nice).

Marillen does mean apricots - you've snipped the bit in Vicky's post
where she says how her mother made dumplings with plums or apricots.
Apricots are Marillen in Austrian, Aprikosen in German; Plums are
Pflaumen in German, Zwetschgen in Austrian.

2018-01-25 21:15:23 UTC

.

>> My mother used to make dumplings with potatoes and flour and possibly
>> egg. Those were boiled and then covered with fried breadcrumbs,
>> cinnamon and sugar. The dough could also be wrapped around a plum or
>> apricot with the stone replaced with a lump of sugar, which was boiled
>> and then covered with breadcrumbs fried and sugar. She also made one
>> large dumpling to cut into slices with meat dishes too but I think
>> that was with bread not potato.
>>

>Oh yes! I remember these in Austria. Marillenknoedeln. Or
>Zwetschgenknoedeln. A bit complicated, so only on highdays and holidays.
>Delicious.
>
>The large ones were called Serviettenknoedeln, and were made out of old
>bread rolls cut up, soaked and squeezed, seasoned, and then boiled in a
>napkin, and then sliced and sometimes fried. In the mountains they
>called them Tirolerknoedeln (with bits of bacon), sliced and fried for
>breakfast before a day's walking or skiing, very sustaining.
>
>Here is a YouTube of making Marillenknoedeln, with a soft cheese (quark)
>dough, though he says you can use potato as well:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmR87wMzRd0

Thank you. I think you can make it with potatoes and then use soft
cheese inside instead of fruit too. And not sure about the vanilla
pods.

2018-01-25 21:20:50 UTC
wrote:

>Oh yes! I remember these in Austria. Marillenknoedeln. Or
>Zwetschgenknoedeln. A bit complicated, so only on highdays and holidays.
>Delicious.
>
>The large ones were called Serviettenknoedeln, and were made out of old
>bread rolls cut up, soaked and squeezed, seasoned, and then boiled in a
>napkin, and then sliced and sometimes fried. In the mountains they
>called them Tirolerknoedeln (with bits of bacon), sliced and fried for
>breakfast before a day's walking or skiing, very sustaining.
>
>Here is a YouTube of making Marillenknoedeln, with a soft cheese (quark)
>dough, though he says you can use potato as well:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmR87wMzRd0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMq65c7H0xA

this one is with potato and no egg, so if you use vegan margarine they
are vegan I think.

2018-01-25 23:30:28 UTC
On 25/01/2018 21:20, Vicky wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 18:38:25 +0000, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> Oh yes! I remember these in Austria. Marillenknoedeln. Or
>> Zwetschgenknoedeln. A bit complicated, so only on highdays and holidays.
>> Delicious.
>>
>> The large ones were called Serviettenknoedeln, and were made out of old
>> bread rolls cut up, soaked and squeezed, seasoned, and then boiled in a
>> napkin, and then sliced and sometimes fried. In the mountains they
>> called them Tirolerknoedeln (with bits of bacon), sliced and fried for
>> breakfast before a day's walking or skiing, very sustaining.
>>
>> Here is a YouTube of making Marillenknoedeln, with a soft cheese (quark)
>> dough, though he says you can use potato as well:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmR87wMzRd0
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMq65c7H0xA
>
> this one is with potato and no egg, so if you use vegan margarine they
> are vegan I think.

I like her kitchen :) And I had forgotten that Austrians boil potatoes
in their skins and then have to peel them - ok if they're cold, like
these, not so much fun when they're hot!

2018-01-26 09:42:40 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 23:30:28 +0000, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>I had forgotten that Austrians boil potatoes
>in their skins and then have to peel them - ok if they're cold, like
>these, not so much fun when they're hot!

I never peel potatoes before cooking, or afterwards, come to that.
2018-01-26 11:35:36 UTC
Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 23:30:28 +0000, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> I had forgotten that Austrians boil potatoes
>> in their skins and then have to peel them - ok if they're cold, like
>> these, not so much fun when they're hot!
>
> I never peel potatoes before cooking, or afterwards, come to that.

Nor I, sweet potatoes are another matter though.

2018-01-26 12:05:03 UTC
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:35:36 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 23:30:28 +0000, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>> scrawled in the dust...
>>
>>> I had forgotten that Austrians boil potatoes
>>> in their skins and then have to peel them - ok if they're cold, like
>>> these, not so much fun when they're hot!
>>
>> I never peel potatoes before cooking, or afterwards, come to that.
>
>Nor I, sweet potatoes are another matter though.

I don't normally peel potatoes either but for making dumplings you
don't want the skins in the dough.

2018-01-26 20:01:55 UTC
Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:35:36 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 23:30:28 +0000, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>>> scrawled in the dust...

>>> I never peel potatoes before cooking, or afterwards, come to that.
>>
>> Nor I, sweet potatoes are another matter though.
>
> I don't normally peel potatoes either but for making dumplings you
> don't want the skins in the dough.

Do the non peelers in these parts remove the eyes?

2018-01-26 19:50:26 UTC
Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 23:30:28 +0000, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> I had forgotten that Austrians boil potatoes
>> in their skins and then have to peel them - ok if they're cold, like
>> these, not so much fun when they're hot!
>
> I never peel potatoes before cooking, or afterwards, come to that.

We return from Austria tomorrow but have not seen a dumpling here.

😳

Clive Arthur
2018-01-26 10:54:05 UTC
On 25/01/2018 23:30, Kate B wrote:

<snip>

> I like her kitchen :)  And I had forgotten that Austrians boil potatoes
> in their skins and then have to peel them - ok if they're cold, like
> these, not so much fun when they're hot!

The first time I went to Ireland with SWMBO I was surprised that all her
large family peeled their boiled spuds at the table. Of course, they
were adept and I was fumbling.

Cheers
Clive
Serena Blanchflower
2018-01-24 18:54:20 UTC
On 24/01/2018 15:55, Jenny M Benson wrote:

> I'm reminded of a recipe I have somewhere for dumplings done in the oven
> in a lemon sauce - must seek that out again!

That sounds like a variation of Sussex Pond Pudding, which was a suet
pudding with lemon and sauce inside it.

Damn right I'm good in bed - I can sleep for days
Sam Plusnet
2018-01-25 02:25:55 UTC
On 24-Jan-18 18:54, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 24/01/2018 15:55, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>
>> I'm reminded of a recipe I have somewhere for dumplings done in the
>> oven in a lemon sauce - must seek that out again!
>
> That sounds like a variation of Sussex Pond Pudding, which was a suet
> pudding with lemon and sauce inside it.

That makes me wonder if they grow a lot of lemons in Sussex?

2018-01-24 21:44:05 UTC
Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24-Jan-18 02:43 PM, Vicky wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 12:48:34 +0000, LFS<***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Our children were a little
>>> surprised when I announced that we needed to have a family meeting for
>>> the death conversation but they now think it's quite entertaining and
>>> are eagerly anticipating what they call the Death Summit which seems to
>>> have taken on the guise of something like the WEF in Davos - they have
>>> asked about keynote speakers and catering...
>>
>> I'm wondering about themed food.....etc
>>
>> --
> One of my favourites, as a child, was a pudding my mother called Dead Baby.
>
> I think it was basically just a boiled suet pudding, served with syrup.
> (See recent ref to Batter Pudding - we ate a lot of golden syrup, and
> treacle, in those days!)

Yes! We often had it on the breakfast table as a spread.

the Omrud
2018-01-25 10:08:15 UTC
On 24/01/2018 21:44, Btms wrote:
> Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 24-Jan-18 02:43 PM, Vicky wrote:

>>> I'm wondering about themed food.....etc
>>>
>> One of my favourites, as a child, was a pudding my mother called Dead Baby.
>>
>> I think it was basically just a boiled suet pudding, served with syrup.
>> (See recent ref to Batter Pudding - we ate a lot of golden syrup, and
>> treacle, in those days!)
>
> Yes! We often had it on the breakfast table as a spread.

Oh dear, could you not afford bread?

--
David

---
2018-01-25 20:39:31 UTC
the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/01/2018 21:44, Btms wrote:
>> Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> One of my favourites, as a child, was a pudding my mother called Dead Baby.
>>>
>>> I think it was basically just a boiled suet pudding, served with syrup.
>>> (See recent ref to Batter Pudding - we ate a lot of golden syrup, and
>>> treacle, in those days!)
>>
>> Yes! We often had it on the breakfast table as a spread.
>
> Oh dear, could you not afford bread?

What did you use as a base for your spread then?

2018-01-25 21:22:45 UTC
On 25/01/18 20:39, Btms wrote:
> the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes! We often had it on the breakfast table as a spread.
>>
>> Oh dear, could you not afford bread?
>>

> What did you use as a base for your spread then?

I presumed one was using the table.

2018-01-26 07:07:19 UTC
Nick Odell <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
> On 25/01/18 20:39, Btms wrote:
>> the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Oh dear, could you not afford bread?
>>>

>> What did you use as a base for your spread then?
>>
> I presumed one was using the table.
>
> Nick

I see. You have not heard the expression to indicate the mise(sp) en seine
of a meal.

2018-01-26 10:08:53 UTC
On 26/01/2018 08:07, Btms wrote:

> I see. You have not heard the expression to indicate the mise(sp) en seine
> of a meal.

I have heard it spelled like that, but written down it should be mise en
scène. So your (sp) was misplaced :)

DINTAFPOU ?
Kate B
2018-01-26 17:32:05 UTC
On 26/01/2018 10:08, BrritSki wrote:
> On 26/01/2018 08:07, Btms wrote:
>
>> I see.  You have not heard the expression to indicate the mise(sp) en
>> seine
>> of a meal.
>
> I have heard it spelled like that, but written down it should be mise en
> scène. So your (sp) was misplaced :)
>
> DINTAFPOU ?

I rather like the idea of a mise en seine of a meal. I have the image of
one of those outrageous seafood pyramids of oysters and lobsters
decorated with fake fishnets. No doubt subsequently to be chucked in the
river in a fit of pique...

2018-01-26 18:52:47 UTC
On 26/01/2018 18:32, Kate B wrote:
> On 26/01/2018 10:08, BrritSki wrote:
>> On 26/01/2018 08:07, Btms wrote:
>>
>>> I see.  You have not heard the expression to indicate the mise(sp) en
>>> seine
>>> of a meal.
>>
>> I have heard it spelled like that, but written down it should be mise
>> en scène. So your (sp) was misplaced :)
>>
>> DINTAFPOU ?
>>

> I rather like the idea of a mise en seine of a meal. I have the image of
> one of those outrageous seafood pyramids of oysters and lobsters
> decorated with fake fishnets. No doubt subsequently to be chucked in the
> river in a fit of pique...

:) Seine nets of course....

Or fishnets a la Presidents Club ?
Btms
2018-01-26 20:01:55 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/01/2018 08:07, Btms wrote:
>
>> I see. You have not heard the expression to indicate the mise(sp) en seine
>> of a meal.
>
> I have heard it spelled like that, but written down it should be mise en
> scène. So your (sp) was misplaced :)
>
> DINTAFPOU ?

Thank you for clarifying. I say it often enough but it must be some years
since I wrote it down. I have a poor memory for spillings wich are
unfamilliare to me. Thank you. Not sure I will remember but will try.

2018-01-26 00:17:00 UTC
Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24-Jan-18 02:43 PM, Vicky wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 12:48:34 +0000, LFS<***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Our children were a little
>>> surprised when I announced that we needed to have a family meeting for
>>> the death conversation but they now think it's quite entertaining and
>>> are eagerly anticipating what they call the Death Summit which seems to
>>> have taken on the guise of something like the WEF in Davos - they have
>>> asked about keynote speakers and catering...
>>
>> I'm wondering about themed food.....etc
>>
>> --
> One of my favourites, as a child, was a pudding my mother called Dead Baby.
>
> I think it was basically just a boiled suet pudding, served with syrup.
> (See recent ref to Batter Pudding - we ate a lot of golden syrup, and
> treacle, in those days!)

Oh, and did you have Dead Man’s Arm at school? Jam and suet roly-poly.

2018-01-26 04:15:47 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Sally Thompson
<***@gmail.com.invalid> writes:
>Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
[]
>> One of my favourites, as a child, was a pudding my mother called Dead Baby.
>>
>> I think it was basically just a boiled suet pudding, served with syrup.
>> (See recent ref to Batter Pudding - we ate a lot of golden syrup, and
>> treacle, in those days!)
>>

>Oh, and did you have Dead Man’s Arm at school? Jam and suet roly-poly.

One thing I quite liked at school was referred to as elephant-shit; I
think it was meatloaf.

Just as many people feel Christmas hasn't begun until they've heard the carols
at King's, or that the election campaign hasn't begun until some politician
lambasts the BBC ... - Eddie Mair, Radio Times 2013/11/16-22
Clive Arthur
2018-01-26 10:47:01 UTC
On 26/01/2018 04:15, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Sally Thompson
> <***@gmail.com.invalid> writes:
>> Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> []
>>> One of my favourites, as a child, was a pudding my mother called Dead
>>> Baby.
>>>
>>> I think it was basically just a boiled suet pudding, served with syrup.
>>> (See recent ref to Batter Pudding - we ate a lot of golden syrup, and
>>> treacle, in those days!)
>>>

>> Oh, and did you have Dead Man’s Arm at school? Jam and suet roly-poly.
>>

> One thing I quite liked at school was referred to as elephant-shit; I
> think it was meatloaf.

No, it was Chris Ofili - Meatloaf was the 'Bat out of Hell' bloke.

Cheers
Clive
Serena Blanchflower
2018-01-24 19:45:23 UTC
On 24/01/2018 12:48, LFS wrote:
> After a preponderance of recent funerals, I now feel a need to address
> the practicalities around my own death. Our children were a little
> surprised when I announced that we needed to have a family meeting for
> the death conversation but they now think it's quite entertaining and
> are eagerly anticipating what they call the Death Summit which seems to
> have taken on the guise of something like the WEF in Davos - they have
> asked about keynote speakers and catering...
>
> Shortly after the distressing experience of our cat's death, Son-in-Law
> made me laugh by reassuring me that when my time came he would be quite
> willing to take me to the vet.

That sounds a wonderfully healthy attitude - on both sides. I have been
recently been hearing tales of someone I knew whose adult son was
completely unable to cope with either the prospect or reality of his
father's death. To the extent that he told his mother not to phone him,
as he got so stressed, thinking she was going to say that his father had
died :(

Your family's attitude sounds wonderful by comparison and is likely to
make any difficult times, in the future, much easier for all concerned.

Mobility is the enemy of beauty... (Fascinating Aida)
Nick Odell
2018-01-24 22:02:56 UTC
On 24/01/18 19:45, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 24/01/2018 12:48, LFS wrote:
>> After a preponderance of recent funerals, I now feel a need to address
>> the practicalities around my own death. Our children were a little
>> surprised when I announced that we needed to have a family meeting for
>> the death conversation but they now think it's quite entertaining and
>> are eagerly anticipating what they call the Death Summit which seems
>> to have taken on the guise of something like the WEF in Davos - they
>> have asked about keynote speakers and catering...
>>
>> Shortly after the distressing experience of our cat's death,
>> Son-in-Law made me laugh by reassuring me that when my time came he
>> would be quite willing to take me to the vet.
>
> That sounds a wonderfully healthy attitude - on both sides.  I have been
> recently been hearing tales of someone I knew whose adult son was
> completely unable to cope with either the prospect or reality of his
> father's death.  To the extent that he told his mother not to phone him,
> as he got so stressed, thinking she was going to say that his father had
> died :(
>
> Your family's attitude sounds wonderful by comparison and is likely to
> make any difficult times, in the future, much easier for all concerned.

We seem to be at a crossroads with attitudes towards death as with so
many other things. The old taboos concerning not talking about it seem
to be breaking down and we are getting "Death Cafes" as well as
excellent radio programmes such as Joan Bakewell's We Need To Talk About
series. I notice that the term "excess deaths" is creeping into stories
of medical miracles.

On a personal note, when I bought a winter coat recently I remarked
"That'll see me out" for the first time - then corpsed at the startled
reaction of those around me.

2018-01-24 22:45:40 UTC
On 24-Jan-18 10:02 PM, Nick Odell wrote:

> On a personal note, when I bought a winter coat recently I remarked
> "That'll see me out" for the first time - then corpsed at the startled
> reaction of those around me.

But rose again from the dead, apparently, I'm pleased to see.

(Yes, I do know. As this is Umra I presume the pun was intentional.)

the Omrud
2018-01-25 10:14:47 UTC
On 24/01/2018 22:02, Nick Odell wrote:

> On a personal note, when I bought a winter coat recently I remarked
> "That'll see me out" for the first time - then corpsed at the startled
> reaction of those around me.

I have a beloved leather coat I bought about 35 years ago in the
Lakeland shop (leather, not kitchen stuff) in Chester, which I couldn't
afford and agonised over, but wisely chose to buy (it cost about £100).
It's still very serviceable and frequently worn but rather worn, IYSWIM.

When I got a long-service award from work a few years ago, I decided to
treat myself to a new one. Lakeland has changed hands many times in the
last decades and the shop has moved out of Chester to Cheshire Oaks, but
they still sell excellent leather coats. In the process of choosing
one, I mentioned to the assistant that I had a 30-year-old coat of
theirs which was still going strong, and wondered if this new one would
also last for 30 years or more. At which point I realised that I'll be
over 90, so I probably won't need another one.

--
David

---
2018-01-25 12:26:49 UTC
the Omrud wrote:

>I mentioned to the assistant that I had a 30-year-old coat of
>theirs which was still going strong, and wondered if this new one would
>also last for 30 years or more. At which point I realised that I'll be
>over 90, so I probably won't need another one.

I found myself thinking, when I decorated hall, stairs and
landing last summer, it is 17 years since I last did it, will I
be up to it in another 17?

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-01-25 13:53:55 UTC
On 25/01/2018 13:26, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> the Omrud wrote:
>
>> I mentioned to the assistant that I had a 30-year-old coat of
>> theirs which was still going strong, and wondered if this new one would
>> also last for 30 years or more. At which point I realised that I'll be
>> over 90, so I probably won't need another one.
>
> I found myself thinking, when I decorated hall, stairs and
> landing last summer, it is 17 years since I last did it, will I
> be up to it in another 17?

Possibly not, but you probably won't be able to see it needs doing and
won't care either ;)
Mike
2018-01-25 14:45:37 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/01/2018 13:26, Chris J Dixon wrote:
>> the Omrud wrote:
>>
>>> I mentioned to the assistant that I had a 30-year-old coat of
>>> theirs which was still going strong, and wondered if this new one would
>>> also last for 30 years or more. At which point I realised that I'll be
>>> over 90, so I probably won't need another one.
>>
>> I found myself thinking, when I decorated hall, stairs and
>> landing last summer, it is 17 years since I last did it, will I
>> be up to it in another 17?
>>
> Possibly not, but you probably won't be able to see it needs doing and
> won't care either ;)

Mine dew, you may feel happier about still being able to climb the stairs
and even more if you can *still* see it needs doing!

2018-01-25 15:04:35 UTC
BrritSki wrote:

>On 25/01/2018 13:26, Chris J Dixon wrote:

>> I found myself thinking, when I decorated hall, stairs and
>> landing last summer, it is 17 years since I last did it, will I
>> be up to it in another 17?
>>
>Possibly not, but you probably won't be able to see it needs doing and
>won't care either ;)

Does that come from the same school of thought as "If you are
having trouble with reality, adjust your perception."?

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-01-25 19:54:35 UTC
On 25/01/2018 12:26, Chris J Dixon wrote; my response is lower down:
> the Omrud wrote:
>
>> I mentioned to the assistant that I had a 30-year-old coat of
>> theirs which was still going strong, and wondered if this new one would
>> also last for 30 years or more. At which point I realised that I'll be
>> over 90, so I probably won't need another one.
>
> I found myself thinking, when I decorated hall, stairs and
> landing last summer, it is 17 years since I last did it, will I
> be up to it in another 17?
>
> Chris

Once we get back from Sri Lanka men are coming to refit the kitchen,
last done in 2001. Given the cost I hope it does not need doing it
again in 2035.

tiny.cc/KRWpics
Chris McMillan
2018-01-26 16:12:55 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 25/01/2018 12:26, Chris J Dixon wrote; my response is lower down:
>> the Omrud wrote:
>>
>>> I mentioned to the assistant that I had a 30-year-old coat of
>>> theirs which was still going strong, and wondered if this new one would
>>> also last for 30 years or more. At which point I realised that I'll be
>>> over 90, so I probably won't need another one.
>>
>> I found myself thinking, when I decorated hall, stairs and
>> landing last summer, it is 17 years since I last did it, will I
>> be up to it in another 17?
>>
>> Chris
>>
> Once we get back from Sri Lanka men are coming to refit the kitchen,
> last done in 2001. Given the cost I hope it does not need doing it
> again in 2035.

With the wine cooler I hope, got to keep up with the Aldridges.

2018-01-26 16:27:40 UTC
Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>>> I found myself thinking, when I decorated hall, stairs and
>>> landing last summer, it is 17 years since I last did it, will I
>>> be up to it in another 17?
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>> Once we get back from Sri Lanka men are coming to refit the kitchen,
>> last done in 2001. Given the cost I hope it does not need doing it
>> again in 2035.
>>

> With the wine cooler I hope, got to keep up with the Aldridges.
>
> Sincerely Chris

Shirley, there will be a temperature controlled wine cellar complete with
dumb waitor linked to the kitchen?

2018-01-26 16:56:17 UTC
On 26/01/2018 16:12, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
> With the wine cooler I hope, got to keep up with the Aldridges.

No wine cooler - not enough space. More upsetting is the lack of a
Jenny tap - you know boiling water, fizzy water and so on from one tap.
I really wanted one of those but apparently we cannot afford it.

tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2018-01-26 17:09:40 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 26/01/2018 16:12, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
>> With the wine cooler I hope, got to keep up with the Aldridges.
>
> No wine cooler - not enough space. More upsetting is the lack of a
> Jenny tap - you know boiling water, fizzy water and so on from one tap.
> I really wanted one of those but apparently we cannot afford it.

Can’t help feeling these systems must be prone to scaling up in hard water
areas and, surely they must be wasteful in delivering boiling or cold water
through the one outlet pipe.

2018-01-26 17:34:44 UTC
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 17:09:40 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>> On 26/01/2018 16:12, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
>>> With the wine cooler I hope, got to keep up with the Aldridges.
>>
>> No wine cooler - not enough space. More upsetting is the lack of a
>> Jenny tap - you know boiling water, fizzy water and so on from one tap.
>> I really wanted one of those but apparently we cannot afford it.
>>

>Can’t help feeling these systems must be prone to scaling up in hard water
>areas and, surely they must be wasteful in delivering boiling or cold water
>through the one outlet pipe.

For us boiling water on tap might be an accident waiting to happen. We
are both clumsy now. Actually I've always been nervous of potentially
dangerous appliances. I exchanged the electric knife I was given just
after we married for something less scary.

2018-01-26 19:43:23 UTC
On 26-Jan-18 05:34 PM, Vicky wrote:
> I exchanged the electric knife I was given just
> after we married for something less scary.

My sister has always enthused about her electric carving knife which she
has had for yonks. We both have bread machines and when she said how
easy it was to cut the bread with the electric knife I decided to buy
one and I LOVE it. Definitely one of my best ever purchases.

2018-01-26 20:14:48 UTC
On 26/01/2018 17:34, Vicky wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 17:09:40 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
>> krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> No wine cooler - not enough space. More upsetting is the lack of a
>>> Jenny tap - you know boiling water, fizzy water and so on from one tap.
>>> I really wanted one of those but apparently we cannot afford it.
>>>

>> Can’t help feeling these systems must be prone to scaling up in hard water
>> areas and, surely they must be wasteful in delivering boiling or cold water
>> through the one outlet pipe.
>
> For us boiling water on tap might be an accident waiting to happen. We
> are both clumsy now. Actually I've always been nervous of potentially
> dangerous appliances. I exchanged the electric knife I was given just
> after we married for something less scary.

While, for me, the main attraction of a boiling water tap would be that
I think it might be safer than manhandling a full kettle, even with a
kettle tipper. I assume that, in a hard water area, a water softener
would be a pre-requisite to having a boiling water tap.

A dame that knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up. (Mae West)
Btms
2018-01-26 20:01:56 UTC
Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>> On 26/01/2018 16:12, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
>>> With the wine cooler I hope, got to keep up with the Aldridges.
>>
>> No wine cooler - not enough space. More upsetting is the lack of a
>> Jenny tap - you know boiling water, fizzy water and so on from one tap.
>> I really wanted one of those but apparently we cannot afford it.
>>

> Can’t help feeling these systems must be prone to scaling up in hard water
> areas and, surely they must be wasteful in delivering boiling or cold water
> through the one outlet pipe.

We have friends with one. Makes a horrible cup of tea. Like the machine
stuff in the workplace.

2018-01-26 17:10:46 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 26/01/2018 16:12, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
>> With the wine cooler I hope, got to keep up with the Aldridges.
>
> No wine cooler - not enough space. More upsetting is the lack of a
> Jenny tap - you know boiling water, fizzy water and so on from one tap.
> I really wanted one of those but apparently we cannot afford it.

If you need to enquire about the price - you can’t afford one!

2018-01-26 19:13:38 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 26/01/2018 16:12, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
>> With the wine cooler I hope, got to keep up with the Aldridges.
>
> No wine cooler - not enough space. More upsetting is the lack of a
> Jenny tap - you know boiling water, fizzy water and so on from one tap.
> I really wanted one of those but apparently we cannot afford it.

Lol!

2018-01-26 20:01:56 UTC
Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>>> I found myself thinking, when I decorated hall, stairs and
>>> landing last summer, it is 17 years since I last did it, will I
>>> be up to it in another 17?
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>> Once we get back from Sri Lanka men are coming to refit the kitchen,
>> last done in 2001. Given the cost I hope it does not need doing it
>> again in 2035.
>>

> With the wine cooler I hope, got to keep up with the Aldridges.
>
> Sincerely Chris

We have a wine cooler. They are not all that expensive iirc.

2018-01-25 13:58:47 UTC
Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 24/01/2018 12:48, LFS wrote:
>> After a preponderance of recent funerals, I now feel a need to address
>> the practicalities around my own death. Our children were a little
>> surprised when I announced that we needed to have a family meeting for
>> the death conversation but they now think it's quite entertaining and
>> are eagerly anticipating what they call the Death Summit which seems to
>> have taken on the guise of something like the WEF in Davos - they have
>> asked about keynote speakers and catering...
>>
>> Shortly after the distressing experience of our cat's death, Son-in-Law
>> made me laugh by reassuring me that when my time came he would be quite
>> willing to take me to the vet.
>
> That sounds a wonderfully healthy attitude - on both sides. I have been
> recently been hearing tales of someone I knew whose adult son was
> completely unable to cope with either the prospect or reality of his
> father's death. To the extent that he told his mother not to phone him,
> as he got so stressed, thinking she was going to say that his father had
> died :(
>
> Your family's attitude sounds wonderful by comparison and is likely to
> make any difficult times, in the future, much easier for all concerned.

This is absolutely true, I defy anyone to stop laughing. My stepmum is now
so confused that she is not only convinced my dad is still alive but she
can’t find him, that when you finally think she understands he died 12
years ago, she says with perfect seriousness, he must have died twice.

2018-01-25 14:50:48 UTC
Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>> On 24/01/2018 12:48, LFS wrote:
>>> After a preponderance of recent funerals, I now feel a need to address
>>> the practicalities around my own death. Our children were a little
>>> surprised when I announced that we needed to have a family meeting for
>>> the death conversation but they now think it's quite entertaining and
>>> are eagerly anticipating what they call the Death Summit which seems to
>>> have taken on the guise of something like the WEF in Davos - they have
>>> asked about keynote speakers and catering...
>>>
>>> Shortly after the distressing experience of our cat's death, Son-in-Law
>>> made me laugh by reassuring me that when my time came he would be quite
>>> willing to take me to the vet.
>>
>> That sounds a wonderfully healthy attitude - on both sides. I have been
>> recently been hearing tales of someone I knew whose adult son was
>> completely unable to cope with either the prospect or reality of his
>> father's death. To the extent that he told his mother not to phone him,
>> as he got so stressed, thinking she was going to say that his father had
>> died :(
>>
>> Your family's attitude sounds wonderful by comparison and is likely to
>> make any difficult times, in the future, much easier for all concerned.
>>

> This is absolutely true, I defy anyone to stop laughing. My stepmum is now
> so confused that she is not only convinced my dad is still alive but she
> can’t find him, that when you finally think she understands he died 12
> years ago, she says with perfect seriousness, he must have died twice.
>
> Sincerely Chris

That’s a dead cert.....

2018-01-25 19:55:32 UTC
On 25/01/2018 13:58, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
> he must have died twice.

Is he James Bond?

tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2018-01-26 08:46:59 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 25/01/2018 13:58, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
>> he must have died twice.
>
> Is he James Bond?

No, but his wife was number 002!

2018-01-24 14:40:19 UTC

Or "With any luck ... <pause for effect?... that won't happen soon".
the Omrud
2018-01-24 12:38:43 UTC
On 24/01/2018 11:58, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <Fl_9C.521036$***@fx14.am4>, the Omrud
> <***@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 24/01/2018 08:38, Penny wrote:
>>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 06:55:08 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
>>> scrawled in the dust...

>>>  I do and I liked that scene, if only because Peggy, unlike so many
>
> I thought it was a nice scene anyway. (Was/is the term Nol* kept using,
> a South-African one?)
>
>>> elderly people did not upset her ggdaughter by saying she wouldn't live long
>>> enough
>
> Yes, they do tend to do it, don't they! Sometimes it's done in a joking
> manner, which _may_ be OK - _once_.
>
>>> to see her again. My father*, only in his 80s at the time (he died aged
>>> 94), when invited to d#2's wedding said, "I might be dead by then.".
>>> I've heard of other elderly chaps doing similar.
>>
>> My mother says it every time I phone to let her know I'll be visiting
>> on Thursday (or whatever).  However, this is the very least of her
>> many, many annoying habits.
>>
> Serious suggestions on how to discourage the habit? (I don't have any
> such relations left, and the only person I can think of among my
> friends, who was 80 earlier this month, is so full of beans that I
> forget her age whenever I see her - she's a tiny bundle of energy. I
> bought her a bird-box with camera [Lidl!], which she seemed delighted
> with; she loves watching the birds.) If the "if I'm spared" _is_ done in
> a jocular manner, you could take to replying something similarly jocular
> about the will - but that could backfire badly.

We're way beyond any chance of reasoning with Mum. She has a mental
health problem, which is now overlaid with unrelated moderate to severe
dementia - this makes her easier to deal with, but means she'll never
remember a conversation about us feeling uncomfortable.

David
Sam Plusnet
2018-01-25 02:31:51 UTC
On 24-Jan-18 12:38, the Omrud wrote:

> We're way beyond any chance of reasoning with Mum.  She has a mental
> health problem, which is now overlaid with unrelated moderate to severe
> dementia - this makes her easier to deal with, but means she'll never
> remember a conversation about us feeling uncomfortable.

That does complicate matters.
We have a relative who lives around 200 miles away from us.
She seems unable to accept that our weather isn't the same as what she
can see out of her window.
Understandable for a 90 year old perhaps, but she's been doing the same
thing for the last 40 years.

2018-01-25 09:25:51 UTC
On 25/01/2018 03:31, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 24-Jan-18 12:38, the Omrud wrote:
>>
>> We're way beyond any chance of reasoning with Mum.  She has a mental
>> health problem, which is now overlaid with unrelated moderate to
>> severe dementia - this makes her easier to deal with, but means she'll
>> never remember a conversation about us feeling uncomfortable.
>
> That does complicate matters.
> We have a relative who lives around 200 miles away from us.
> She seems unable to accept that our weather isn't the same as what she
> can see out of her window.
> Understandable for a 90 year old perhaps, but she's been doing the same
> thing for the last 40 years.

We went through this with my Mum and my MiL, very difficult at the time,
but somehow a few years on it's all forgotten and we remember the real
person who was still there underneath.

This is a very apt thread as last night I finished Three Things About
Elsie, recommended by Sid a month ago. Thanks once more Sid, absolutely
wonderful book and will bear re-reading in a year or two. Funny,
profound and moving. Brilliantly written, very real characters and an
intriguing mystery too.
the Omrud
2018-01-25 10:17:34 UTC
On 25/01/2018 09:25, BrritSki wrote:
> On 25/01/2018 03:31, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 24-Jan-18 12:38, the Omrud wrote:
>>>
>>> We're way beyond any chance of reasoning with Mum.  She has a mental
>>> health problem, which is now overlaid with unrelated moderate to
>>> severe dementia - this makes her easier to deal with, but means
>>> she'll never remember a conversation about us feeling uncomfortable.
>>
>> That does complicate matters.
>> We have a relative who lives around 200 miles away from us.
>> She seems unable to accept that our weather isn't the same as what she
>> can see out of her window.
>> Understandable for a 90 year old perhaps, but she's been doing the
>> same thing for the last 40 years.
>>
> We went through this with my Mum and my MiL, very difficult at the time,
> but somehow a few years on it's all forgotten and we remember the real
> person who was still there underneath.

This may not be popular, but my sister and I are pleased to be losing
contact with the real person underneath. The mother with dementia is
far less manipulative and a little less difficult.

--
David

---
2018-01-25 10:35:50 UTC
In message <49iaC.600552$***@fx38.am4>, the Omrud
<***@gmail.com> writes:
[]
>This may not be popular, but my sister and I are pleased to be losing
>contact with the real person underneath. The mother with dementia is
>far less manipulative and a little less difficult.

Certainly not unpopular with me; I sympathise, though not from personal
experience.

What's awful about weird views is not the views. It's the intolerance. If
someone wants to worship the Duke of Edinburgh or a pineapple, fine. But don't
kill me if I don't agree. - Tim Rice, Radio Times 15-21 October 2011.
Chris McMillan
2018-01-25 14:08:33 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <49iaC.600552$***@fx38.am4>, the Omrud
> <***@gmail.com> writes:
> []
>> This may not be popular, but my sister and I are pleased to be losing
>> contact with the real person underneath. The mother with dementia is
>> far less manipulative and a little less difficult.
>>
> Certainly not unpopular with me; I sympathise, though not from personal
> experience.

My step mum is turning from capable to manipulative to simply dig her heels
in so even the care staff hint she’s not one of their easiest living alone
clients. Dog and bones describes her.

2018-01-25 10:40:45 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:17:34 +0000, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...

>On 25/01/2018 09:25, BrritSki wrote:

>> We went through this with my Mum and my MiL, very difficult at the time,
>> but somehow a few years on it's all forgotten and we remember the real
>> person who was still there underneath.
>
>This may not be popular, but my sister and I are pleased to be losing
>contact with the real person underneath. The mother with dementia is
>far less manipulative and a little less difficult.

Sounds like my stepmother who turned into quite a nice person once she'd
forgotten she didn't like me.
2018-01-25 11:54:20 UTC
Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:17:34 +0000, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> On 25/01/2018 09:25, BrritSki wrote:
>
>>> We went through this with my Mum and my MiL, very difficult at the time,
>>> but somehow a few years on it's all forgotten and we remember the real
>>> person who was still there underneath.
>>
>> This may not be popular, but my sister and I are pleased to be losing
>> contact with the real person underneath. The mother with dementia is
>> far less manipulative and a little less difficult.
>
> Sounds like my stepmother who turned into quite a nice person once she'd
> forgotten she didn't like me.

Was this dislike based on the ‘No girl is good enough for my son.’ idea?

2018-01-25 12:09:31 UTC
In message <MzjaC.1324985$***@fx47.am4>, Mike
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:17:34 +0000, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
>> scrawled in the dust...
[]
>>> This may not be popular, but my sister and I are pleased to be losing
>>> contact with the real person underneath. The mother with dementia is
>>> far less manipulative and a little less difficult.
>>
>> Sounds like my stepmother who turned into quite a nice person once she'd
>> forgotten she didn't like me.
>
>Was this dislike based on the ‘No girl is good enough for my son.’ idea?

Penny said stepmother, not mother-in-law ...

Eddie [Waring] underook elocution lessons in Leeds. After four weeks he was
asked to leave - all members in his class had begun to speak like him.
Stuart Hall, RT 7-13 August 2010
Mike
2018-01-25 12:19:30 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <MzjaC.1324985$***@fx47.am4>, Mike
> <***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>> Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:17:34 +0000, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
>>> scrawled in the dust...
> []
>>>
>>> Sounds like my stepmother who turned into quite a nice person once she'd
>>> forgotten she didn't like me.
>>
>> Was this dislike based on the ‘No girl is good enough for my son.’ idea?
>>
> Penny said stepmother, not mother-in-law ...

Oooops! So she did!

2018-01-25 16:52:00 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 12:09:31 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> scrawled in the dust...

>In message <MzjaC.1324985$***@fx47.am4>, Mike
><***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:17:34 +0000, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
>>> scrawled in the dust...
>[]
>>>
>>> Sounds like my stepmother who turned into quite a nice person once she'd
>>> forgotten she didn't like me.
>>
>>Was this dislike based on the ‘No girl is good enough for my son.’ idea?
>>
>Penny said stepmother, not mother-in-law ...

Thank you, I was completely thrown for a moment. I did meet her son once,
probably at the wedding. As he lives in his native America I've had no more
to do with him beyond being mildly amused to have two brothers called
David.
2018-01-25 20:39:35 UTC
Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:17:34 +0000, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> On 25/01/2018 09:25, BrritSki wrote:
>
>>> We went through this with my Mum and my MiL, very difficult at the time,
>>> but somehow a few years on it's all forgotten and we remember the real
>>> person who was still there underneath.
>>
>> This may not be popular, but my sister and I are pleased to be losing
>> contact with the real person underneath. The mother with dementia is
>> far less manipulative and a little less difficult.
>
> Sounds like my stepmother who turned into quite a nice person once she'd
> forgotten she didn't like me.

Were the feelings reciprocated?

2018-01-25 21:55:38 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 20:39:35 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:17:34 +0000, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
>> scrawled in the dust...

>>> This may not be popular, but my sister and I are pleased to be losing
>>> contact with the real person underneath. The mother with dementia is
>>> far less manipulative and a little less difficult.
>>
>> Sounds like my stepmother who turned into quite a nice person once she'd
>> forgotten she didn't like me.
>
>Were the feelings reciprocated?

I wasn't alone in finding her difficult to like.
2018-01-26 07:07:20 UTC
Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 20:39:35 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:17:34 +0000, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
>>> scrawled in the dust...

>>> Sounds like my stepmother who turned into quite a nice person once she'd
>>> forgotten she didn't like me.
>>
>> Were the feelings reciprocated?
>
> I wasn't alone in finding her difficult to like.

I meant did you like her more after she became nicer, but your memory of
her feelings about you had not diminished.

2018-01-25 13:52:26 UTC

Sorry to hear it. We were both fortunate in having wonderful parents.
a***@gmail.com
2018-01-25 10:09:49 UTC

As a little boy in Gloucester listening to the Coronation, I was surprised that the weather being described in London was not the same as at home.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-01-25 10:36:44 UTC
In message <2627f48d-d53d-4e1e-8ed0-***@googlegroups.com>,
"***@gmail.com" <***@gmail.com> writes:
[]
>As a little boy in Gloucester listening to the Coronation, I was
>surprised that the weather being described in London was not the same
>as at home.

Welcome to UMRA! (With apologies if you've been here a while; I haven't
noticed your email before.)

Jenny M Benson
2018-01-25 10:50:07 UTC
On 25-Jan-18 02:31 AM, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> That does complicate matters.
> We have a relative who lives around 200 miles away from us.
> She seems unable to accept that our weather isn't the same as what she
> can see out of her window.
> Understandable for a 90 year old perhaps, but she's been doing the same
> thing for the last 40 years.

Whenever I'm travelling some distance and the weather changes I always
wonder whether it has changed because I've moved from one "weather area"
to another or because all the weather has changed.

2018-01-25 11:36:03 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Jenny M Benson
<***@hotmail.co.uk> writes:
>On 25-Jan-18 02:31 AM, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> That does complicate matters.
>> We have a relative who lives around 200 miles away from us.
>> She seems unable to accept that our weather isn't the same as what
>>she can see out of her window.
>> Understandable for a 90 year old perhaps, but she's been doing the
>>same thing for the last 40 years.
>
>Whenever I'm travelling some distance and the weather changes I always
>wonder whether it has changed because I've moved from one "weather
>area" to another or because all the weather has changed.

YANA. (Also, when I was working, even though the distance was only 17-18
miles, I discovered that it often _did_ vary: my bit of Kent [Charing,
between Ashford and Maidstone] could have 1½-2 inches of snow, whereas
my workplace [Rochester/Chatham] had none.)

I hope you dream a pig.
Chris J Dixon
2018-01-25 12:34:55 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>YANA. (Also, when I was working, even though the distance was only 17-18
>miles, I discovered that it often _did_ vary: my bit of Kent [Charing,
>between Ashford and Maidstone] could have 1½-2 inches of snow, whereas
>my workplace [Rochester/Chatham] had none.)

When I worked in Loughborough but lived about 10 miles away in
Whitwick (now over 35 years ago) the change in altitude was such
that the amount of snow was significantly different, and
sometimes a diversionary route was necessary to avoid the highest
and steepest section.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-01-25 16:58:46 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:50:07 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>On 25-Jan-18 02:31 AM, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> That does complicate matters.
>> We have a relative who lives around 200 miles away from us.
>> She seems unable to accept that our weather isn't the same as what she
>> can see out of her window.
>> Understandable for a 90 year old perhaps, but she's been doing the same
>> thing for the last 40 years.
>
>Whenever I'm travelling some distance and the weather changes I always
>wonder whether it has changed because I've moved from one "weather area"
>to another or because all the weather has changed.

I sometimes wonder if I am living in a gloomy grey bubble while just over
the hill the sun shines. I know this happens as, between buying this house
and moving into it we often 'commuted' into the gloom and out of it again
at the end of the day. I blame the river.

OTOH there are plenty of days when I see black clouds approaching from the
west and proceeding beyond the hills to the south, leaving us in glorious
sunshine.

My neighbour says she never bothers with the weather forecast - every
valley has its own weather.
2018-01-24 13:38:56 UTC
Someone wrote:

All attributes vanished

What’s the S African word for grandma/Granny? I expected it to bevan
Afrikans word, but no.

Zulu word meaning grandmother/grandma. Became part of the iconic slogan
Yebo Gogo (Yes, Grandma) from the South African cellular service-provider
Vodacom

2018-01-26 00:11:05 UTC
the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/01/2018 08:38, Penny wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 06:55:08 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
>> scrawled in the dust...

>>> Oh dear. You know what I mean!
>>
>> I do and I liked that scene, if only because Peggy, unlike so many elderly
>> people did not upset her ggdaughter by saying she wouldn't live long enough
>> to see her again. My father*, only in his 80s at the time (he died aged
>> 94), when invited to d#2's wedding said, "I might be dead by then.". I've
>> heard of other elderly chaps doing similar.
>
> My mother says it every time I phone to let her know I'll be visiting on
> Thursday (or whatever). However, this is the very least of her many,
> many annoying habits.

Does she still buy green bananas?
<g>

2018-01-24 08:48:52 UTC
On 23/01/2018 21:34, Vicky wrote:
> Nolly is never going to see Peggy again, is she? She will go to SA and
> Peggy will die soon. That was a sad scene. And I was right about
> Alice. She is not doing Dry January. Is the sstuff about the bloke at
> work sudden? Is that why she is discontented there?

I don't think there was any possibility of Alice doing Dry January. It
was clear, when she and Chrisduffer left Ambridge View, the other day,
that they were heading straight for the pub. I assume that the reason
that this colleague is constantly suggesting ways that Alice could do
the job better is because she's making frequent mistakes at work,
probably due to a combination of hangovers and long lunches. This would
be why her boss didn't support her complaint about said colleague.

What would men be without women? Scarce, sir... mighty scarce. (Mark Twain)
krw
2018-01-24 15:50:00 UTC
On 24/01/2018 08:48, Serena Blanchflower wrote; my response is lower down:
> I assume that the reason that this colleague is constantly suggesting
> ways that Alice could do the job better is because she's making frequent
> mistakes at work, probably due to a combination of hangovers and long
> lunches.  This would be why her boss didn't support her complaint about
> said colleague.

In which case I recant the recent post as I had not made the link.

I assumed we were simply heading for an infidelity story but perhaps we
are going to cover alcoholism again. Or is it simply that no-one knows
what to do with Alice (send her to Palace).

tiny.cc/KRWpics
Serena Blanchflower
2018-01-24 18:55:55 UTC
On 24/01/2018 15:50, krw wrote:
> On 24/01/2018 08:48, Serena Blanchflower wrote; my response is lower down:
>> I assume that the reason that this colleague is constantly suggesting
>> ways that Alice could do the job better is because she's making
>> frequent mistakes at work, probably due to a combination of hangovers
>> and long lunches.  This would be why her boss didn't support her
>> complaint about said colleague.
>
> In which case I recant the recent post as I had not made the link.
>
> I assumed we were simply heading for an infidelity story but perhaps we
> are going to cover alcoholism again.  Or is it simply that no-one knows
> what to do with Alice (send her to Palace).

I think they've been signposting an alcoholism story for some time but,
of course, this could easily incorporate a bit of infidelity on the side.

Why do they call this a word processor? It's simple, ... you've seen
what food processors do to food, right?
Vicky
2018-01-24 21:45:02 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 15:50:00 +0000, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 24/01/2018 08:48, Serena Blanchflower wrote; my response is lower down:
>> I assume that the reason that this colleague is constantly suggesting
>> ways that Alice could do the job better is because she's making frequent
>> mistakes at work, probably due to a combination of hangovers and long
>> lunches.  This would be why her boss didn't support her complaint about
>> said colleague.
>
>In which case I recant the recent post as I had not made the link.
>
>I assumed we were simply heading for an infidelity story but perhaps we
>are going to cover alcoholism again. Or is it simply that no-one knows
>what to do with Alice (send her to Palace).

Hasn't she already had an infidelity story when she was in
Soughampton?

2018-01-24 23:00:59 UTC
On 24/01/2018 21:45, Vicky wrote; my response is lower down:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 15:50:00 +0000, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 24/01/2018 08:48, Serena Blanchflower wrote; my response is lower down:
>>> I assume that the reason that this colleague is constantly suggesting
>>> ways that Alice could do the job better is because she's making frequent
>>> mistakes at work, probably due to a combination of hangovers and long
>>> lunches.  This would be why her boss didn't support her complaint about
>>> said colleague.
>>
>> In which case I recant the recent post as I had not made the link.
>>
>> I assumed we were simply heading for an infidelity story but perhaps we
>> are going to cover alcoholism again. Or is it simply that no-one knows
>> what to do with Alice (send her to Palace).
>
> Hasn't she already had an infidelity story when she was in
> Soughampton?

As it was on R4X it is not cannon and anyway I thought it was never an
actual cormorant?

tiny.cc/KRWpics
krw
2018-01-24 15:45:29 UTC
On 23/01/2018 21:34, Vicky wrote; my response is lower down:
> Is the sstuff about the bloke at
> work sudden? Is that why she is discontented there?

There was a mention of something similar previously. Given that she is
working for a modern technological firm the behaviour indicated from the
manager has been unreasonable for about 20 years.

tiny.cc/KRWpics
Fenny
2018-01-24 18:58:53 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 15:45:29 +0000, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 23/01/2018 21:34, Vicky wrote; my response is lower down:
>> Is the sstuff about the bloke at
>> work sudden? Is that why she is discontented there?
>
>There was a mention of something similar previously. Given that she is
>working for a modern technological firm the behaviour indicated from the
>manager has been unreasonable for about 20 years.

I was thinking they were going for a "Me Too" storyline. But I think
it's just a bit of mansplaining and she needs to tell him to take a
long walk!