Mew BTec in Farming Admin
2017-09-21 10:42:46 UTC
Farming Today was talking about the shortage of admin staff on farms
and how much admin there is. There is a new course beginning and they
expect the graduates to find jobs very easily. I could see Brian
employing someone but I don't think Brookfield could afford someone.

It might be a way to bring a new person into Ambridge. I suppose it
could be m or f. Is there anyone in Ambridge now who could do the
course? Emma would be bright enough but not able to spare the time or
do it unless it's free in some way. Josh wouldn't want to put the
effort in and it is not get-rich-quick enough for him or Toby. Maybe
Rex?

I wish TA planners would listen to FT and get ideas from it. There are
so many that are clearly relevant to a story about farming folk!
2017-09-21 11:18:00 UTC
Is it just for barn cats ?
krw
2017-09-21 12:05:04 UTC
Post by Vicky
Farming Today was talking about the shortage of admin staff on farms
and how much admin there is. There is a new course beginning and they
expect the graduates to find jobs very easily. I could see Brian
employing someone but I don't think Brookfield could afford someone.
It might be a way to bring a new person into Ambridge. I suppose it
could be m or f. Is there anyone in Ambridge now who could do the
course? Emma would be bright enough but not able to spare the time or
do it unless it's free in some way. Josh wouldn't want to put the
effort in and it is not get-rich-quick enough for him or Toby. Maybe
Rex?
I wish TA planners would listen to FT and get ideas from it. There are
so many that are clearly relevant to a story about farming folk!
Didn't there used to be a travelling farm secretary that helped out Tony
before he got married - Libby Jones?

Nothing new under the sun.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Penny
2017-09-21 13:49:20 UTC
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:05:04 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
I was trying to remember her name - gave up (it's not Ms Jones) and
consulted Google groups and then The Book.

Mary Weston came into Tony Archer's life in 1973. He met her at a Young
Farmers' dance - he was smitten. A month later she turned up at Willow Farm
as the travelling farm secretary. They became engaged and the wedding date
was set but it all went wrong...
2017-09-21 13:59:22 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
Thank you. I knew he went through women a bit in those days. I can't
think where John and Johnny get it from.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Chris McMillan
2017-09-21 17:37:10 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
There a Libby Jones as well, but she might be a Phil Archer conquest. My
books are elsewhere ......

2017-09-21 17:49:06 UTC
Snipped
Mary Weston came into Tony Archer's life in 1973. He met her at a Young
Farmers' dance - he was smitten. A month later she turned up at Willow Farm
as the travelling farm secretary. They became engaged and the wedding date
was set but it all went wrong...
Thank you. I knew he went through women a bit in those days. I can't
think where John and Johnny get it from.
Was it Pat who drove Tony to abject dullness?
2017-09-21 19:51:23 UTC
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 17:37:10 GMT, Chris McMillan
Didn't there used to be a travelling farm secretary that helped out Tony
before he got married - Libby Jones?
Nothing new under the sun.
I was trying to remember her name - gave up (it's not Ms Jones) and
consulted Google groups and then The Book.
Mary Weston came into Tony Archer's life in 1973. He met her at a Young
Farmers' dance - he was smitten. A month later she turned up at Willow Farm
as the travelling farm secretary. They became engaged and the wedding date
was set but it all went wrong...
Thank you. I knew he went through women a bit in those days. I can't
think where John and Johnny get it from.
There a Libby Jones as well, but she might be a Phil Archer conquest. My
books are elsewhere ......
So there was - doesn't appear in The Book but TAE says:
Elizabeth Jones (Betty, Libby)- played by Hedli Niklaus
Libby was a twenty-something milk recorder who caught Tony's eye while Pat
was away in Wales nursing her sick mother in 1977. On the pretext of not
wanting to waste a double ticket, Tony took her to the Cricket Club dance.
But knowing her brother of old, Jennifer made sure Libby stayed the night
at Home Farm afterwards, just in case.
2017-09-21 22:31:33 UTC
Elizabeth Jones (Betty, Libby)- played by Hedli Niklaus
That Hedli used to really get around. Au pair, milk recorder, teacher.

Wonder what she is doing now.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-09-22 08:15:51 UTC
Elizabeth Jones (Betty, Libby)- played by Hedli Niklaus
That Hedli used to really get around. Au pair, milk recorder, teacher.
Wonder what she is doing now.
Waiting for an invitation to be reborn as another character, maybe one with
a voice this time.
2017-09-22 09:35:24 UTC
Elizabeth Jones (Betty, Libby)- played by Hedli Niklaus
That Hedli used to really get around. Au pair, milk recorder, teacher.
Wonder what she is doing now.
Waiting for an invitation to be reborn as another character, maybe one with
a voice this time.
Think the trouble is the making space for younger voices with plot lines
that work inside the time slot; compounded by the salary budget. I assume
there is a budget. The seven characters per episode ceiling is presented
as the max number manageable in an episode. But not every epi has seven.
Cast are paid per epi so there must be some rivalry over who gets what. We
wont have been the only ones glad to see the back of Rob.

😜
2017-09-22 10:07:10 UTC
The seven characters per episode ceiling is presented
as the max number manageable in an episode.
Given that the cast required gather for a week or part week the seven
voice per day is often ignored these days - more or less as the drama
determines, particularly from newer writers. Noticeably long term
writers tend to stick to it.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-09-22 10:30:15 UTC
In message
<494556297.527765418.699436.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.o
rg>, Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
Cast are paid per epi so there must be some rivalry over who gets what. We
[]
We have long assumed this is so - have we ever been explicitly so told?
(If so how long ago, and is it still the case?)

No, I haven't changed my mind - I'm perfectly happy with the one I have, thank
you.
krw
2017-09-22 12:47:42 UTC
In message
Cast are paid per epi so there must be some rivalry over who gets
what.  We
[]
We have long assumed this is so - have we ever been explicitly so told?
(If so how long ago, and is it still the case?)
I am pretty sure that Smethurst mentions it in one of his books and
comment by cast members when allowed to appear on the DumTeeDum podcast
(current cast were banned for a while) imply that the same arrangement
applies. No booking - no money.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-09-23 07:29:09 UTC
In message
Cast are paid per epi so there must be some rivalry over who gets what. We
[]
We have long assumed this is so - have we ever been explicitly so told?
(If so how long ago, and is it still the case?)
I am not assuming; I know.
2017-09-23 16:03:49 UTC
In message
Cast are paid per epi so there must be some rivalry over who gets what. We
[]
We have long assumed this is so - have we ever been explicitly so told?
(If so how long ago, and is it still the case?)
Ay am not assuming; Ay know <sniff>.
Fixed your post for you, Lynda.

2017-09-23 17:30:15 UTC
In message
Cast are paid per epi so there must be some rivalry over who gets what. We
[]
We have long assumed this is so - have we ever been explicitly so told?
(If so how long ago, and is it still the case?)
Ay am not assuming; Ay know <sniff>.
Fixed your post for you, Lynda.
john
We were informed at an Archer’s day in Brum on Sept. 26th. 1997* that
scripts are sent out with dates to attend the recording sessions; if they
are in a recording - they get paid, if they don’t receive a script, then
they are not required to attend and receive no fee, end of story.

* I’m sure of the date as Eddy sang happy birthday to me accompanied on his
geetar, (50th burfday ‘twas)
2017-09-24 08:17:47 UTC
In message
Cast are paid per epi so there must be some rivalry over who gets what. We
[]
We have long assumed this is so - have we ever been explicitly so told?
(If so how long ago, and is it still the case?)
Ay am not assuming; Ay know <sniff>.
Fixed your post for you, Lynda.
john
We were informed at an Archer’s day in Brum on Sept. 26th. 1997* that
scripts are sent out with dates to attend the recording sessions; if they
are in a recording - they get paid, if they don’t receive a script, then
they are not required to attend and receive no fee, end of story.
* I’m sure of the date as Eddy sang happy birthday to me accompanied on his
geetar, (50th burfday ‘twas)
No prizes for guessing how old McT will be on Tuesday!

And before anyone asks we’re off to the railway museum in Swindon, all new
since we went with Wunderkind when she was about 7.

2017-09-24 08:36:10 UTC
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 08:17:47 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
* I’m sure of the date as Eddy sang happy birthday to me accompanied on his
geetar, (50th burfday ‘twas)
No prizes for guessing how old McT will be on Tuesday!
And before anyone asks we’re off to the railway museum in Swindon, all new
since we went with Wunderkind when she was about 7.
Sincerely Chris
Many happy returns to McT on Tuesday and I hope you both, or all? have
a lovely time. Will grandson be going too?
2017-09-24 13:09:19 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
* I’m sure of the date as Eddy sang happy birthday to me accompanied on his
geetar, (50th burfday ‘twas)
No prizes for guessing how old McT will be on Tuesday!
And before anyone asks we’re off to the railway museum in Swindon, all new
since we went with Wunderkind when she was about 7.
Sincerely Chris
Many happy returns to McT on Tuesday and I hope you both, or all? have
a lovely time. Will grandson be going too?
School, Adam is almost six. And work.

Sincerely Chris
p***@never.here
2017-09-24 10:52:42 UTC
In message
Cast are paid per epi so there must be some rivalry over who gets what. We
[]
We have long assumed this is so - have we ever been explicitly so told?
(If so how long ago, and is it still the case?)
Ay am not assuming; Ay know <sniff>.
Fixed your post for you, Lynda.
john
We were informed at an Archer’s day in Brum on Sept. 26th. 1997* that
scripts are sent out with dates to attend the recording sessions; if they
are in a recording - they get paid, if they don’t receive a script, then
they are not required to attend and receive no fee, end of story.
Interesting, thanks. Did you get any idea how far in advance the
scripts would be sent out? I don't know how in demand TA actors are,
but are they really expected to sit at home waiting for any crumbs
that may fall off the TA table with no guarantee there will be any.

If it is that hit and miss as far as the actors are concerned I would
have thought they would all be out looking for/ doing other work to
supplement their income.
.
I must be missing something but if the TA do not guarantee the actors
work then what guarantee is there that the actors will be available
when the TA require them.

What happens if, after all the planning meetings, script writing etc
one or more of the actors return the scripts saying they are
unavailable on the recording dates? Hasty re-writes, rescheduling of
recording session?
* I’m sure of the date as Eddy sang happy birthday to me accompanied on his
geetar, (50th burfday ‘twas)
Happy Birthday. Have a great day on Tuesday..
Pete
Mike
2017-09-24 11:18:35 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In message
[...]
If the amount of notice was mentioned, the intervening years have affected
my hippo campus I think. I gather that it is tough on the actors but I
suppose they must know some time allowing for shuffling of their other
plans. There are no contracts and no guarantees - assumptions should not be
made it seems.
2017-09-24 11:54:29 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In message
[...]
It is down to the actors to advise their unavailability in good time, so
they are not included in storylines over that time. If push comes to shove
they can opt out but as this will require rewrites, it is frowned upon. If
it happens too often they are at risk of being unused. The younger ones
often have more opportunities and may be recast if they find themselves
much in demand.
p***@never.here
2017-09-25 10:26:26 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In message
[...]
Thanks. That works if the actor knows they are going to be unavailable
"in good time" but what if the don't? What obligation does TA(BBC)
have to the actors?. Do they let them know in advance whether they are
going to be "used" in the next, I don't know, 3/ 6 / 12 months so that
they know whether to look for other work, knowing there there won't be
a clash? Or is it still, as Mike posted earlier in the thread - that
the actors really do not know until the day the day the scripts are
sent out whether they are required or not?
Pete
Btms
2017-09-25 12:31:09 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Post by p***@never.here
In message
[...]
It is a bit of a one sided deal in favour of the beeb. It could be that a
big story line like Helen/Rob might be flagged up for the chief
protagonists but generally it is left to the actors to give notice of
unavailability and hope the ptb don’t decide to have a huff.

Generally, the actors have no clue about their storylines until they
receive the script. However, Graham Seed was told of Nigel’s demise if
what he reported is correct. No reason to think it was not correct.

HTH
p***@never.here
2017-09-25 16:59:45 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Post by p***@never.here
In message
[...]
It does. Thank you.
Pete
Vicky
2017-09-25 17:48:18 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
[]
[...]
What they call zero hours contracts?
2017-09-25 17:54:20 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Btms
Post by p***@never.here
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
[]
[...]
Yeah, that’s a dead cert....
2017-09-25 19:41:13 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Btms
Post by p***@never.here
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
[]
[...]
...and you

Yes you...

You don't think you're getting away with that, do you?

BTN!

2017-09-25 19:56:38 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Btms
It is a bit of a one sided deal in favour of the beeb. It could be that a
big story line like Helen/Rob might be flagged up for the chief
protagonists but generally it is left to the actors to give notice of
unavailability and hope the ptb don’t decide to have a huff.
Generally, the actors have no clue about their storylines until they
receive the script. However, Graham Seed was told of Nigel’s demise if
what he reported is correct. No reason to think it was not correct.
HTH
What they call zero hours contracts?
Yeah, that’s a dead cert....
I'm accepting a joint nomination from Nick for Mike and Vicky.
2017-09-25 20:30:09 UTC
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 20:56:38 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Vicky
Post by Btms
It is a bit of a one sided deal in favour of the beeb. It could be that a
big story line like Helen/Rob might be flagged up for the chief
protagonists but generally it is left to the actors to give notice of
unavailability and hope the ptb don?t decide to have a huff.
Generally, the actors have no clue about their storylines until they
receive the script. However, Graham Seed was told of Nigel?s demise if
what he reported is correct. No reason to think it was not correct.
HTH
What they call zero hours contracts?
Yeah, that’s a dead cert....
I'm accepting a joint nomination from Nick for Mike and Vicky.
Well, it is nice to get a BTN at last but I didn't mean it like that!
I meant like the controversial zero hours contracts!
2017-09-25 19:40:18 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Btms
Post by p***@never.here
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
[]
[...]
I say! That's in very poor taste, don't you think?

BTN!......

2017-09-25 10:30:39 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Did you get any idea how far in advance the
scripts would be sent out?
According to someone pretending to be David Archer in the Mail on Sunday
they get the scripts 4 days before recording and not always then.
Booking for the recording is earlier than that.

He had not seen the script before he and Roof were told that she had
cancer apparently.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-09-25 11:50:45 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Did you get any idea how far in advance the
scripts would be sent out?
According to someone pretending to be David Archer in the Mail on Sunday
they get the scripts 4 days before recording and not always then.
Booking for the recording is earlier than that.
He had not seen the script before he and Roof were told that she had
cancer apparently.
Niggle had little notice of his skeletal rearrangement either! A fine way
to ‘get the sack’.
2017-09-25 12:12:35 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Did you get any idea how far in advance the
scripts would be sent out?
According to someone pretending to be David Archer in the Mail on Sunday
they get the scripts 4 days before recording and not always then.
Booking for the recording is earlier than that.
He had not seen the script before he and Roof were told that she had
cancer apparently.
Niggle had little notice of his skeletal rearrangement either! A fine way
to ‘get the sack’.
According to the same article in the Mail Niggle had been told - but
could not tell anyone else who found out when they read the scripts.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-09-25 12:23:33 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Did you get any idea how far in advance the
scripts would be sent out?
According to someone pretending to be David Archer in the Mail on Sunday
they get the scripts 4 days before recording and not always then.
Booking for the recording is earlier than that.
He had not seen the script before he and Roof were told that she had
cancer apparently.
Niggle had little notice of his skeletal rearrangement either! A fine way
to ‘get the sack’.
According to the same article in the Mail Niggle had been told - but
could not tell anyone else who found out when they read the scripts.
I thought he only found out when he received the script.
2017-09-25 12:34:03 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Did you get any idea how far in advance the
scripts would be sent out?
According to someone pretending to be David Archer in the Mail on Sunday
they get the scripts 4 days before recording and not always then.
Booking for the recording is earlier than that.
He had not seen the script before he and Roof were told that she had
cancer apparently.
Niggle had little notice of his skeletal rearrangement either! A fine way
to ‘get the sack’.
According to the same article in the Mail Niggle had been told - but
could not tell anyone else who found out when they read the scripts.
Sounds right to me.
He flatly refused to tell them?
2017-09-25 16:37:36 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Did you get any idea how far in advance the
scripts would be sent out?
According to someone pretending to be David Archer in the Mail on Sunday
they get the scripts 4 days before recording and not always then.
Booking for the recording is earlier than that.
He had not seen the script before he and Roof were told that she had
cancer apparently.
Niggle had little notice of his skeletal rearrangement either! A fine way
to ‘get the sack’.
According to the same article in the Mail Niggle had been told - but
could not tell anyone else who found out when they read the scripts.
Sounds right to me.
He flatly refused to tell them?
There were some rumours, but they soon got squashed.

2017-09-25 17:39:41 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Did you get any idea how far in advance the
scripts would be sent out?
According to someone pretending to be David Archer in the Mail on Sunday
they get the scripts 4 days before recording and not always then.
Booking for the recording is earlier than that.
He had not seen the script before he and Roof were told that she had
cancer apparently.
Niggle had little notice of his skeletal rearrangement either! A fine way
to ‘get the sack’.
According to the same article in the Mail Niggle had been told - but
could not tell anyone else who found out when they read the scripts.
Sounds right to me.
He flatly refused to tell them?
There were some rumours, but they soon got squashed.
john
But they probably paved the way, they may have fallen short until concrete
evidence provided more body to the rumours.
2017-09-25 12:37:13 UTC
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 13:12:35 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by p***@never.here
Did you get any idea how far in advance the
scripts would be sent out?
According to someone pretending to be David Archer in the Mail on Sunday
they get the scripts 4 days before recording and not always then.
Booking for the recording is earlier than that.
He had not seen the script before he and Roof were told that she had
cancer apparently.
Niggle had little notice of his skeletal rearrangement either! A fine way
to ‘get the sack’.
According to the same article in the Mail Niggle had been told - but
could not tell anyone else who found out when they read the scripts.
I found it online
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-4903076/Timothy-Bentinck-David-Archer-squire-Ambridge.html>
(or <https://goo.gl/LTGytG>)
and was surprised to read, " I broke my contract to take up some lucrative
TV work in Australia." I don't think they have 'contracts' in the usual
sense of the word.
p***@never.here
2017-09-25 17:01:42 UTC
dust...
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
Thanks for posting the link Penny. I hadn't seen it before. Makes
interesting reading.
Pete
Btms
2017-09-25 12:31:09 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Did you get any idea how far in advance the
scripts would be sent out?
According to someone pretending to be David Archer in the Mail on Sunday
they get the scripts 4 days before recording and not always then.
Booking for the recording is earlier than that.
He had not seen the script before he and Roof were told that she had
cancer apparently.
Niggle had little notice of his skeletal rearrangement either! A fine way
to ‘get the sack’.
I thought he was told?
2017-09-21 14:29:45 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
Perhaps she didn't turn up again and didn't account for herself.