Discussion:
Post epi repeat spoiler 9th. May
(too old to reply)
Mike
2018-05-09 13:22:53 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
‘But Olwen, it got a car charger!’

--
Toodle Pip
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-09 14:46:15 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In message <NCCIC.145801$***@fx37.am4>, Mike
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>
>‘But Olwen, it got a car charger!’
>
Although I don't really like Olwen, I really enjoyed her telling Pat to
stop trying to organise her life. I fear it'll have gone in one ear and
out the other though.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)***@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep
enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?" - Jean Kerr
Mike
2018-05-09 15:08:44 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <NCCIC.145801$***@fx37.am4>, Mike
> <***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>
>> ‘But Olwen, it got a car charger!’
>>
> Although I don't really like Olwen, I really enjoyed her telling Pat to
> stop trying to organise her life. I fear it'll have gone in one ear and
> out the other though.

I think Olwen wants to live her own life and this does not entail any
help/interference from Pat in any form, physical, financial or moral; so
Pat ‘Butt Out’!

--
Toodle Pip
Sally Thompson
2018-05-09 17:31:57 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <NCCIC.145801$***@fx37.am4>, Mike
>> <***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>>
>>> ‘But Olwen, it got a car charger!’
>>>
>> Although I don't really like Olwen, I really enjoyed her telling Pat to
>> stop trying to organise her life. I fear it'll have gone in one ear and
>> out the other though.
>
> I think Olwen wants to live her own life and this does not entail any
> help/interference from Pat in any form, physical, financial or moral; so
> Pat ‘Butt Out’!
>

I am so behind Olsen in this!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-09 23:22:37 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Sally Thompson
<***@gmail.com.invalid> writes:
>Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <NCCIC.145801$***@fx37.am4>, Mike
>>> <***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>>>
>>>> ‘But Olwen, it got a car charger!’
>>>>
>>> Although I don't really like Olwen, I really enjoyed her telling Pat to
>>> stop trying to organise her life. I fear it'll have gone in one ear and
>>> out the other though.
>>
>> I think Olwen wants to live her own life and this does not entail any
>> help/interference from Pat in any form, physical, financial or moral; so
>> Pat ‘Butt Out’!
>>
That's what I was enjoying! (Though as I said, I don't think Pat will
"hear" the message.)
>
>I am so behind Olsen in this!
>
(As in "Olsen's book of British birds [the expurgated version]"?)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)***@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

All's well that ends.
steveski
2018-05-10 00:27:48 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thu, 10 May 2018 00:22:37 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Sally Thompson
> <***@gmail.com.invalid> writes:

[]

>>I am so behind Olsen in this!
>>
> (As in "Olsen's book of British birds [the expurgated version]"?)

Up yer chough.

--
Steveski
Btms
2018-05-10 06:16:02 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Sally Thompson
> <***@gmail.com.invalid> writes:
>> Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>>> In message <NCCIC.145801$***@fx37.am4>, Mike
>>>> <***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>>>>
>>>>> ‘But Olwen, it got a car charger!’
>>>>>
>>>> Although I don't really like Olwen, I really enjoyed her telling Pat to
>>>> stop trying to organise her life. I fear it'll have gone in one ear and
>>>> out the other though.
>>>
>>> I think Olwen wants to live her own life and this does not entail any
>>> help/interference from Pat in any form, physical, financial or moral; so
>>> Pat ‘Butt Out’!
>>>
> That's what I was enjoying! (Though as I said, I don't think Pat will
> "hear" the message.)
>>
>> I am so behind Olsen in this!
>>
> (As in "Olsen's book of British birds [the expurgated version]"?)

Up to a point; but Olwen is willing to impose her ethics on the lives of
others. When they shared these values, the relationship worked. Their
values have changed over the years.

--
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Mike
2018-05-10 07:47:06 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Sally Thompson
> <***@gmail.com.invalid> writes:
>> Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>>> In message <NCCIC.145801$***@fx37.am4>, Mike
>>>> <***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>>>>
>>>>> ‘But Olwen, it got a car charger!’
>>>>>
>>>> Although I don't really like Olwen, I really enjoyed her telling Pat to
>>>> stop trying to organise her life. I fear it'll have gone in one ear and
>>>> out the other though.
>>>
>>> I think Olwen wants to live her own life and this does not entail any
>>> help/interference from Pat in any form, physical, financial or moral; so
>>> Pat ‘Butt Out’!
>>>
> That's what I was enjoying! (Though as I said, I don't think Pat will
> "hear" the message.)
>>
>> I am so behind Olsen in this!
>>
> (As in "Olsen's book of British birds [the expurgated version]"?)

No, the edition by Darles Chickens....

--
Toodle Pip
krw
2018-05-10 12:57:43 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 09/05/2018 16:08, Mike wrote; my response is lower down:
> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <NCCIC.145801$***@fx37.am4>, Mike
>> <***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>>
>>> ‘But Olwen, it got a car charger!’
>>>
>> Although I don't really like Olwen, I really enjoyed her telling Pat to
>> stop trying to organise her life. I fear it'll have gone in one ear and
>> out the other though.
>
> I think Olwen wants to live her own life and this does not entail any
> help/interference from Pat in any form, physical, financial or moral; so
> Pat ‘Butt Out’!
>
Last night we were dining in a restaurant in Southampton Street in
London. Across the road a reasonably cleanly dressed lady of
indeterminate age (between 50 and 70 I would guess) settled down to read
the paper and had a shopping trolley adjacent. From restaurant staff we
were advised that she has been there regularly (and presumably
throughout the night) since September. During the hour we watched a
couple of other male street residents spoke to her. One brought a
collection of flattened cardboard boxes (no doubt from shops in adjacent
Covent Garden) and he put one down to sit on (she had some thick
cushions of some description). This one is also a regular we gather.
Both were cleaner / tidier than some of the others.

More generally there seem to be more street residents in London than was
the case, so I can only assume that under Boris support for such people
has been withdrawn - a few years ago they were almost non-existent.

My wife would have loved to know why she was there - not to help but
more to understand.

We have had back story from Olwen - and to my mind it sounded as though
she was responsible for her own downfall and can neither use her
undoubted intelligence to work out when to control her outpourings or to
gracefully accept assistance when provided. So is this really some form
of mental illness or simply an unwillingness to conform to societal
norms (and perhaps those two descriptions are simply different names for
the same problem?)?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-10 15:49:10 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In message <pd1fk7$16er$***@gioia.aioe.org>, krw <***@whitnet.uk> writes:
[]
>We have had back story from Olwen - and to my mind it sounded as though
>she was responsible for her own downfall and can neither use her
>undoubted intelligence to work out when to control her outpourings or
>to gracefully accept assistance when provided. So is this really some
>form of mental illness or simply an unwillingness to conform to
>societal norms (and perhaps those two descriptions are simply different
>names for the same problem?)?
>
Very perceptive, especially the idea that an unwillingness to conform to
societal norms can be treated as mental illness (with consequent removal
of individual rights).

I agree that in Olwen's case, refusal to accept assistance is one of her
problems - though when that assistance is offered by "someone like" Pat,
I do sympathise (and might even do the same).
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)***@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. -Ambrose Bierce, writer
(1842-1914)
Vicky
2018-05-10 17:14:37 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thu, 10 May 2018 13:57:43 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 09/05/2018 16:08, Mike wrote; my response is lower down:
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <NCCIC.145801$***@fx37.am4>, Mike
>>> <***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>>>
>>>> ‘But Olwen, it got a car charger!’
>>>>
>>> Although I don't really like Olwen, I really enjoyed her telling Pat to
>>> stop trying to organise her life. I fear it'll have gone in one ear and
>>> out the other though.
>>
>> I think Olwen wants to live her own life and this does not entail any
>> help/interference from Pat in any form, physical, financial or moral; so
>> Pat ‘Butt Out’!
>>
>Last night we were dining in a restaurant in Southampton Street in
>London. Across the road a reasonably cleanly dressed lady of
>indeterminate age (between 50 and 70 I would guess) settled down to read
>the paper and had a shopping trolley adjacent. From restaurant staff we
>were advised that she has been there regularly (and presumably
>throughout the night) since September. During the hour we watched a
>couple of other male street residents spoke to her. One brought a
>collection of flattened cardboard boxes (no doubt from shops in adjacent
>Covent Garden) and he put one down to sit on (she had some thick
>cushions of some description). This one is also a regular we gather.
>Both were cleaner / tidier than some of the others.
>
>More generally there seem to be more street residents in London than was
>the case, so I can only assume that under Boris support for such people
>has been withdrawn - a few years ago they were almost non-existent.

Boris isn't mayor now, is he? Hasn't been for a while.
>
>My wife would have loved to know why she was there - not to help but
>more to understand.
>
>We have had back story from Olwen - and to my mind it sounded as though
>she was responsible for her own downfall and can neither use her
>undoubted intelligence to work out when to control her outpourings or to
>gracefully accept assistance when provided. So is this really some form
>of mental illness or simply an unwillingness to conform to societal
>norms (and perhaps those two descriptions are simply different names for
>the same problem?)?

She seemed to me to be a rather unpleasant person. It is ok to want
to be independent, but if you accept help then it should be a little
more gracefully and she should not have gone out of her way to upset
Helen when Helen had the inspector there. Helen's history is pretty
well known and she is doing a good job and building a life and funding
it for her children. Olwen is a bitch.


--

Vicky
Btms
2018-05-10 20:00:14 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 09/05/2018 16:08, Mike wrote; my response is lower down:
Snipped
>
Snipped
>
We have had back story from Olwen - and to my mind it sounded as though she
was responsible for her own downfall and can neither use her undoubted
intelligence to work out when to control her outpourings or to gracefully
accept assistance when provided. So is this really some form of mental
illness or simply an unwillingness to conform to societal norms (and
perhaps those two descriptions are simply different names for the same
problem?)?


Have you considered a personality disorder?
--
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Jim Easterbrook
2018-05-10 20:45:57 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thu, 10 May 2018 20:00:14 +0000, Btms wrote:
>
> Have you considered a personality disorder?

No thanks, I've already got one.
--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>
1959/1985? M B+ G+ A L- I- S- P-- CH0(p) Ar++ T+ H0 Q--- Sh0
Btms
2018-05-10 20:48:34 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2018 20:00:14 +0000, Btms wrote:
>>
>> Have you considered a personality disorder?
>
> No thanks, I've already got one.

That’s what they all say

--
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-10 21:05:14 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In message
<643326627.547678090.261269.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.o
rg>, Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
>Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 May 2018 20:00:14 +0000, Btms wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you considered a personality disorder?
>>
>> No thanks, I've already got one.
>
>That’s what they all say
>
Would you consider changing your mind?

No, I'm perfectly happy with the one I've got, thank you.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)***@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The desire to remain private and/or anonymous used to be a core British value,
but in recent times it has been treated with suspicion - an unfortunate by-
product of the widespread desire for fame. - Chris Middleton,
Computing 6 September 2011
Sam Plusnet
2018-05-10 21:18:57 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 10-May-18 21:45, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2018 20:00:14 +0000, Btms wrote:
>>
>> Have you considered a personality disorder?
>
> No thanks, I've already got one.
>
<Mode Eccles>

"You dirty rotten swine you!"

--
Sam Plusnet
Fred
2018-05-11 08:40:22 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thursday, 10 May 2018 22:18:59 UTC+1, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 10-May-18 21:45, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 May 2018 20:00:14 +0000, Btms wrote:
> >>
> >> Have you considered a personality disorder?
> >
> > No thanks, I've already got one.
> >
> <Mode Eccles>
>
> "You dirty rotten swine you!"
>
> --
> Sam Plusnet

Bluebottle, shirley?

Fred
steveski
2018-05-10 22:54:37 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thu, 10 May 2018 20:45:57 +0000, Jim Easterbrook wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2018 20:00:14 +0000, Btms wrote:
>>
>> Have you considered a personality disorder?
>
> No thanks, I've already got one.

Tea on monitor! :-)

--
Steveski
Mike
2018-05-11 07:54:10 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2018 20:00:14 +0000, Btms wrote:
>>
>> Have you considered a personality disorder?
>
> No thanks, I've already got one.

Is that the 30 minute or full hour type?

--
Toodle Pip
the Omrud
2018-05-11 09:24:57 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 10/05/2018 21:00, Btms wrote:

> We have had back story from Olwen - and to my mind it sounded as though she
> was responsible for her own downfall and can neither use her undoubted
> intelligence to work out when to control her outpourings or to gracefully
> accept assistance when provided. So is this really some form of mental
> illness or simply an unwillingness to conform to societal norms (and
> perhaps those two descriptions are simply different names for the same
> problem?)?
>
> Have you considered a personality disorder?

I'm expecting to inherit my mother's.

--
David
Loading...