OT: TV ... SS-GB
2017-04-06 08:14:33 UTC
We've just watched it (with subtitles).

Can anyrat tell me if the ending was changed from the book to the
tv-series? It seemed to me that the ending was setup to make a sequel
possible and I can't remember if this was so in the book (or even if I
have read it. This is one of the few pluses of getting old, I can
re-read books that I like).
BrritSki
2017-04-06 08:48:53 UTC
Post by DavidK
We've just watched it (with subtitles).
Can anyrat tell me if the ending was changed from the book to the
tv-series? It seemed to me that the ending was setup to make a sequel
possible and I can't remember if this was so in the book (or even if I
have read it. This is one of the few pluses of getting old, I can
re-read books that I like).
I have read the book, but cannot remember the ending.

I too thought that we were being set up for the sequel.
Mike Ruddock
2017-04-06 09:13:23 UTC
Post by DavidK
We've just watched it (with subtitles).
Can anyrat tell me if the ending was changed from the book to the
tv-series? It seemed to me that the ending was setup to make a sequel
possible and I can't remember if this was so in the book (or even if I
have read it. This is one of the few pluses of getting old, I can
re-read books that I like).
I have read the book, but cannot remember the ending.
I too thought that we were being set up for the sequel.
TTBOMR there are changes, some forced upon the tv version by cost
considerations (expensive to show the raid upon Brickle Sands), others
possibly with an eye to marketing (the American woman dies in one
version but not in the other). It is made clear in the book that the
papers with the nuclear calculations on were deliberately destroyed in
order to force the Americans to raid Brickle Sands, thus precipitating
their entry into a war with Germany.

The book ends with Huth's execution. There is nothing after that to
indicate that Archer made his way over the moors waving a map. He
promised Huth to go to Germany and tell Huth's father that his son died
in the cross-fire during the attack on Brickle Sands. End of.

Mike Ruddock

---
2017-04-06 09:57:29 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by BrritSki
Post by DavidK
[...]
I thought that was fairly clear in the TV version too.
Vicky
2017-04-06 11:01:29 UTC
On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 10:13:23 +0100, Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by BrritSki
Post by DavidK
[...]
Well, I stopped watching after 3 or 4 but it is nice to know Archer
survived. I just didn't feel I wanted to see more.