Ice Cream
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-06 14:11:31 UTC
Does anyrat have an ice cream maker? If so, what model. Is it worth it?
I love ice cream and am seriously tempted.
LFS
2018-06-06 14:23:03 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Does anyrat have an ice cream maker? If so, what model. Is it worth it?
I love ice cream and am seriously tempted.
I don't but I do have a recipe that doesn't require constant stirring
which I assume is the advantage of an ice cream maker.
2018-06-06 16:08:48 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Does anyrat have an ice cream maker? If so, what model. Is it worth it?
I love ice cream and am seriously tempted.
There's one in Lidl at the moment, or was on Saturday; I know nothing of
it, but mention it as they tend to sell out of such things. Their home
appliances are usually fair - and usually have a three year guarantee
anyway.

Have the courage to be ordinary - people make themselves so desperately unhappy
trying to be clever and totally original. (Robbie Coltrane, RT 8-14 Nov. 1997.)
John Ashby
2018-06-06 17:00:05 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Does anyrat have an ice cream maker? If so, what model. Is it worth it?
I love ice cream and am seriously tempted.
Yes, Andrew James and it depends. The ice cream is very good (perhaps
too good if you already love ice cream and are easily temptable), for me
the main drawback is finding things to do with the left-over egg whites,
there are only so many meringues one can eat.

2018-06-06 17:12:02 UTC
there are only so many meringues one can eat.
There are? That must be a VERY BIG number. I haven't yet discovered
what it is.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Sam Plusnet
2018-06-06 22:35:04 UTC
there are only so many meringues one can eat.
There are?  That must be a VERY BIG number.  I haven't yet discovered
what it is.
I don't know if it is universal, but our local Sainsbugs
(anti-clockwise) often has huginormous meringues on offer for £1.50.
On occasion we have shared one, between two people, over two days.
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-06 22:59:29 UTC
there are only so many meringues one can eat.
There are?  That must be a VERY BIG number.  I haven't yet discovered
what it is.
I don't know if it is universal, but our local Sainsbugs
(anti-clockwise) often has huginormous meringues on offer for £1.50.
On occasion we have shared one, between two people, over two days.
But if you buy meringues from the supermarket (noting in passing that
Morrisons Anniesland is clockwise while Morrisons Partick and Sainsbugs
Blairdardie are widdershins) then you have even less use for the egg whites.
LFS
2018-06-07 09:19:00 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Does anyrat have an ice cream maker? If so, what model. Is it worth
it? I love ice cream and am seriously tempted.
Yes, Andrew James and it depends. The ice cream is very good (perhaps
too good if you already love ice cream and are easily temptable), for me
the main drawback is finding things to do with the left-over egg whites,
there are only so many meringues one can eat.
My recipe uses both yolks and whites.
2018-06-06 17:08:38 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Does anyrat have an ice cream maker? If so, what model. Is it worth it?
I love ice cream and am seriously tempted.
I do. It’s a Magimix and it’s fine, but the only disadvantage to me is that
it doesn’t make very much at a time, and you have to keep the container
part in the freezer. However, I make a LOT of ice cream with very fresh
eggs from my own hens, not in the ice cream maker but using my Kenwood Chef
and whisk.

I experiment quite a bit but at the moment I make coffee, peach, pistachio,
apricot and vanilla. It doesn’t need repeated whisking. You have to be okay
with raw eggs, which is why I make it with my own eggs.

My basic recipe just in case (very old so imperial measures)
4 eggs
4 oz icing sugar
Half a pint (well, 300 ml) double cream
Whatever you are flavouring it with.

Separate the eggs. Whisk the whites until they are solid on the whisk.
Whisk in the icing sugar slowly. Beat the egg yolks in a small bowl with
(say) 4 tablespoons Camp, or about 4 oz peach purée (or whatever!), just
lightly with a fork. Whisk that into the meringue mix. Whisk the cream in a
separate bowl till thick but not clotted. Whisk that into your egg white
mixture. Bung it into a suitable container and freeze.

You can of course make half this quantity. I doubled it up a long time
ago...

If you are careful what you use to flavour, it makes a scoopable ice cream.
I have used tinned fruit but that is much harder because of the water
content. I buy Monin peach purée by the way, and a genuine Italian
pistachio paste.
2018-06-06 21:00:13 UTC
On 6 Jun 2018 17:08:38 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
I would ask you to marry me, or just and live here, but it would be
too fattening.
Sally Thompson
2018-06-07 06:11:02 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
:-)

I’m open to visitors who want samples!
You are trying too hard. BTM will never go for it.
Jenny M Benson
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
LFS
2018-06-07 09:23:53 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
That's how I make it, although I fold, rather than whisk, the yolk
mixture and cream into the meringue.

Adding a packet of halva gives a subtle sesame seed flavour.
2018-06-07 12:20:09 UTC
On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 10:23:53 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by LFS
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
My mother used to 'make' ice cream by buying a Walls block of vanilla,
mixing in mashed banana or, my favourite, chestnut puree and refreezing. I
have no idea if she stirred the mix from time to time but have a feeling
this wasn't necessary.

I was delighted to find her recipe for gooseberry fool, made by whisking
cooked gooseberries with sweetened condensed milk, freezes well and makes a
very good ice desert.

I do have an 'ice-cream maker', purchased many years ago, probably from
Lakeland. It is plastic and battery driven and sits in the freezer stirring
the mixture. I don't think I've used it since the rechargeable size C
batteries died but mostly made strawberry granitas with it when the girls
were small and we picked our own a lot. These days I make elderflower
ice-poles which don't need stirring. Which reminds me - definitely time to
pick elderflowers now.
2018-06-07 12:35:58 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Tough number for any battery (inc. rechargeable) to maintain a working
voltage at -18 o C.
2018-06-07 13:12:51 UTC
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 12:35:58 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
I do have an 'ice-cream maker', purchased many years ago, probably from
Lakeland. It is plastic and battery driven and sits in the freezer stirring
the mixture. I don't think I've used it since the rechargeable size C
batteries died but mostly made strawberry granitas with it when the girls
were small and we picked our own a lot. These days I make elderflower
ice-poles which don't need stirring. Which reminds me - definitely time to
pick elderflowers now.
Tough number for any battery (inc. rechargeable) to maintain a working
voltage at -18 o C.
It coped and was certainly a cheaper (and smaller) option for a machine one
doesn't use very often.
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-06-07 13:42:49 UTC
Even on a cruise round Greenland at about 0 C my camera battery was running down much faster than at home.
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Even at about zero C, on a cruise in Greenlandic waters, my camera battery was running down much faster than at home.
kosmo
2018-06-07 13:50:27 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Even at about zero C, on a cruise in Greenlandic waters, my camera
battery =
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
was running down much faster than at home.
Next time do not dangle your camera in the water.
Kosmo
BrritSki
2018-06-07 14:56:50 UTC
Post by kosmo
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Even at about zero C, on a cruise in Greenlandic waters, my
camera
Post by kosmo
battery =
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
was running down much faster than at home.
Next time do not dangle your camera in the water.
Or anything else...

"This water's cold"

"Yeah, deep too."
Sally Thompson
2018-06-07 16:44:54 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
It’s fun trying out new flavours:-). I suppose I do fold it rather than
whisk it. It’s a sort of slow whisk but I can’t be bothered to remove the
whisk and use something else.

Sometimes I substitute a good quality fruit yogurt for the cream. Delicious
but a harder texture.
2018-06-06 22:10:43 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Does anyrat have an ice cream maker? If so, what model. Is it worth it?
I love ice cream and am seriously tempted.
I don't use a machine but then I don't attempt to use any ingredients
other than cream, milk and sugar in the proportions 2:1:1 Whip the cream
and sugar stiffly adding the milk nearer the end. shove the
self-supporting aerated mix in the freezer and enjoy the next day.

Do not attempt this recipe if the temperature in the kitchen exceeds 35
deg C. DAMHIKT