Ask EU: OT: external speakers for iPhones
2017-10-05 10:14:54 UTC
My blind friend loves her iPhone, but would like to be able to hear it
when walking, and yet keep it in a pocket or pouch.

Headphones/earphones are not an option, as (a) they'd interfere with her
spatial perception, (b) she has hearing aids which they'd also not get
on with.

Anyone know of a _small_, _flat_ Bluetoooth speaker, that could be
placed on a shoulder (with DSST or Velcro-clone)? Or non-Bluetooth (i.
e. wired)?

I _have_ found some possibilities designed for going inside motorcycle
helmets, which are small very flat speakers in some sort of cloth cover.
However, the stereo version has rather a lot of wires.

If you plug a mono earphone plug into an iPhone, will it (a) work (b)
damage the iPhone by shorting some parts? (She doesn't mostly use the
iPhone as a 'phone, so only needs to hear what it's saying - for
example, an excellent application called IIRR Lanzarillo, which tells
her the names of streets at every junction, and the name and function of
every shop.)

"The people here are more educated and intelligent. Even stupid people in
Britain are smarter than Americans." Madonna, in RT 30 June-6July 2001 (page
32)
Clive Arthur
2017-10-05 12:08:31 UTC
My blind friend loves her iPhone, but would like to be able to hear it
when walking, and yet keep it in a pocket or pouch.
Headphones/earphones are not an option, as (a) they'd interfere with her
spatial perception, (b) she has hearing aids which they'd also not get
on with.
Anyone know of a _small_, _flat_ Bluetoooth speaker, that could be
placed on a shoulder (with DSST or Velcro-clone)? Or non-Bluetooth (i.
e. wired)?
https://goo.gl/yw73DW

<snip>

Cheers
Clive
Sally Thompson
2017-10-05 15:43:10 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
My blind friend loves her iPhone, but would like to be able to hear
it when walking, and yet keep it in a pocket or pouch.
Headphones/earphones are not an option, as (a) they'd interfere with
her spatial perception, (b) she has hearing aids which they'd also
not get on with.
Anyone know of a _small_, _flat_ Bluetoooth speaker, that could be
placed on a shoulder (with DSST or Velcro-clone)? Or non-Bluetooth (i.
e. wired)?
https://goo.gl/yw73DW
<snip>
Cheers
LOL!

I _won't_ pass that on. (They _do_ have an electronic parrot - a novelty
from many years ago, which echoes back random snatches of conversation.
When fed with batteries, which it usually isn't.)

You remind me of a tale - I don't know if true, but can believe it - we
had in the family about Grandma. She boarded a train with a stuffed owl
on her shoulder; after a while, people just settled down, thinking of
her as just a dotty lady. (She was, but that's not part of this story.)

Then, some way into the journey, it caused some consternation when it
woke up and stretched its wings; being nocturnal creatures, it had just
been asleep. I presume it was one she was nursing back to health.

I've always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be - Neil Baldwin
Sally Thompson
2017-10-05 12:36:11 UTC
My blind friend loves her iPhone, but would like to be able to hear it
when walking, and yet keep it in a pocket or pouch.
If you plug a mono earphone plug into an iPhone, will it (a) work (b)
damage the iPhone by shorting some parts? (She doesn't mostly use the
iPhone as a 'phone, so only needs to hear what it's saying - for
example, an excellent application called IIRR Lanzarillo, which tells
her the names of streets at every junction, and the name and function of
every shop.)
I’m interested in the application but can’t find it under that name or
similar. Could you find out some time?
2017-10-05 12:37:04 UTC
My blind friend loves her iPhone, but would like to be able to hear it
when walking, and yet keep it in a pocket or pouch.
If you plug a mono earphone plug into an iPhone, will it (a) work (b)
damage the iPhone by shorting some parts? (She doesn't mostly use the
iPhone as a 'phone, so only needs to hear what it's saying - for
example, an excellent application called IIRR Lanzarillo, which tells
her the names of streets at every junction, and the name and function of
every shop.)
I’m interested in the application but can’t find it under that name or
similar. Could you find out some time?
Found it! Lazarillo.
2017-10-05 13:40:41 UTC
[...]
Can’t help. Has she contacted AbilityNet?