OT: Thunderbird
Add Reply
Mike Ruddock
2017-04-18 09:35:55 UTC
I use T'bird for my email and as I still get more spam than I care for
(1) I would like to educate the system to my tastes.

There is a line of boxes at the bottom of the message pane and I use
Delete a lot. I have just noticed that the next box, which is usually
Archive is occasionally Junk. Clearly this would be useful but only
seems to appear when the item concerned is not in fact junk.

How can I persuade T'Bird to show me this option all the time? (and what
is Archive anyway?)

1. Which raises the question of what, if not zero, would be my
quantity of choice?

Mike Ruddock

---
2017-04-18 10:45:53 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
There is a line of boxes at the bottom of the message pane and I use
Delete a lot. I have just noticed that the next box, which is usually
Archive is occasionally Junk.
I use thunderbird but do not have these boxes so cannot advise.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-04-18 20:33:54 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I use T'bird for my email and as I still get more spam than I care for
(1) I would like to educate the system to my tastes.
There is a line of boxes at the bottom of the message pane and I use
Delete a lot. I have just noticed that the next box, which is usually
Archive is occasionally Junk. Clearly this would be useful but only
seems to appear when the item concerned is not in fact junk.
Maybe, you have previously marked (and forgotten doing so) a lot of junk
as junk, and it is now being hidden from your view as a result, so you
only see it on new material that TB thinks (based on what, I don't know)
might be a new form of junk. Quite how the already-identified junk is
being hidden from you I'm not sure: I would guess it's being moved into
a junk folder (which may or may not be called "junk"), rather than just
being deleted. (If you have such a folder, have a look what's in it.)
Post by Mike Ruddock
How can I persuade T'Bird to show me this option all the time? (and
what is Archive anyway?)
I think it's move-to-a-folder, which probably gets compressed in some
way from time to time (transparently, i. e. you can still look at things
in it, but it takes fractionally more time for them to appear, as they
have to be uncompressed).
Post by Mike Ruddock
1. Which raises the question of what, if not zero, would be my
quantity of choice?
All depends on your definition of spam.
Post by Mike Ruddock
Mike Ruddock
---
I knew I'd kept this somewhere:

1. Click the Avast icon to display the user interface panel.

2. Click "Settings"

3. Click "Enable Avast email signature" to remove the ticked box.

Close the user interface panel.

(courtesy of "Monty" in alt.windows7.general .)

Everything will be all right in the end. And if everything isn't all right,
then it isn't the end. - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011)
Mike Ruddock
2017-04-19 07:48:00 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
1. Which raises the question of what, if not zero, would be my
quantity of choice?
All depends on your definition of spam.
Post by Mike Ruddock
Mike Ruddock
---
1. Click the Avast icon to display the user interface panel.
2. Click "Settings"
3. Click "Enable Avast email signature" to remove the ticked box.
Close the user interface panel.
(courtesy of "Monty" in alt.windows7.general .)
Thank you. Will try.

Mike Ruddock
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-04-19 20:52:26 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Mike Ruddock
Mike Ruddock
---
1. Click the Avast icon to display the user interface panel.
2. Click "Settings"
3. Click "Enable Avast email signature" to remove the ticked box.
Close the user interface panel.
(courtesy of "Monty" in alt.windows7.general .)
Thank you. Will try.
Mike Ruddock
You succeeded!

I think you can set up a .sig in Thunderbird that includes the "-- "
line, too.

Flop
2017-04-20 08:30:53 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Thank you. Will try.
Mike Ruddock
You succeeded!
I think you can set up a .sig in Thunderbird that includes the "-- "
line, too.
Very simple...

Click on to the group folder ['news' or whatever].

Then 'View settings for this Account'.

The sig box is there.

ps will work for each Account separately.
--
Flop
General Norman Schwarzkopf was asked if he thought there was room for
OUR job is to arrange the meeting."
Jenny M Benson
2017-04-19 14:47:28 UTC
(and what is Archive anyway?)
Archive is "put this out of the way but keep it so I can refer back to
it later if I need to." I use Archive a lot so that my Inboxes aren't
cluttered with lots of stuff I need to keep but not look at much (or ever?)

If I remember correctly you don't start out with an Archive folder, but
one is created under the appropriate Account (if you have several
different Accounts, as I do) the first time you tell TB to Archive
something. My Archives messages go into Year folders (ie under Archive
there are folders for 2010, 2011, 2012 etc) and I think that was not the
default but a choice I opted for.
2017-04-19 23:29:45 UTC
(and what is Archive anyway?)
Archive is "put this out of the way but keep it so I can refer back to
it later if I need to." I use Archive a lot so that my Inboxes aren't
cluttered with lots of stuff I need to keep but not look at much (or ever?)
If I remember correctly you don't start out with an Archive folder, but
one is created under the appropriate Account (if you have several
different Accounts, as I do) the first time you tell TB to Archive
something. My Archives messages go into Year folders (ie under Archive
there are folders for 2010, 2011, 2012 etc) and I think that was not the
default but a choice I opted for.
<swerve>
I accidentally "archived" a number of emails in my gmail account (I had
intended to move them from the inbox to a suitable folder but clicked
the wrong button) and had the devil's own job to find them again.
Why does gmail encourage archiving, if the archive is inaccessible &
they effectively vanish beyond trace?
2017-04-20 07:15:46 UTC
I accidentally "archived" a number of emails in my gmail account (I had
intended to move them from the inbox to a suitable folder but clicked
the wrong button) and had the devil's own job to find them again.
Why does gmail encourage archiving, if the archive is inaccessible &
they effectively vanish beyond trace?
You can see ALL your emails by clicking on - guess what! - "All Mail"
that is just under Drafts on the LH panel. Anything not marked INBOX is
archived.

Or if you want to see just the archived stuff, just type "is:archived"
into the search box on the top line. I didn't know this was there, but I
figured it out by looking at what happens when you click on
Starred/Important etc. after trying the more intuitive "in:archive".
Penny
2017-04-20 08:37:06 UTC
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 00:29:45 +0100, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
I accidentally "archived" a number of emails in my gmail account (I had
intended to move them from the inbox to a suitable folder but clicked
Folder?
I don't have folders, just tags - which is fine as you can then apply
several tags if it seems appropriate.
Post by Sam Plusnet
the wrong button) and had the devil's own job to find them again.
If you know who they were from or what they were about you can search for
them easily, just type in the box at the top.
2017-04-20 20:21:08 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
I accidentally "archived" a number of emails in my gmail account (I had
intended to move them from the inbox to a suitable folder but clicked
Folder?
I don't have folders, just tags - which is fine as you can then apply
several tags if it seems appropriate.
Oh it's the wrong word I'm sure - if gmail troubles itself to explain
its philosophy to the user I haven't come across it.

Simply that the column on the left hand side has "Inbox" at the top,
where new emails land, and below that a number of what I think of as
folders into which I can sort emails.
I have created a few which suit my purposes.
From time to time I go through the emails I've kept & move them from
Inbox to their destination.
I had around ten or twelve emails ticked & managed to click "archive"
instead of "Move To"[1].
All those destinations are listed in that left-hand column & can thus be
accessed, but "Archive" seems to be deliberately hidden.

Thanks to Britters I now know that there is a secret spell which can
make the invisible visible again - but I haven't a clue why this needs
to be so. Making it so easy to hit the archive button, but so hard to
recover from this makes it a bit like playing snakes & ladders.
the wrong button) and had the devil's own job to find them again.
If you know who they were from or what they were about you can search for
them easily, just type in the box at the top.
I had a dozen or so emails ticked, & didn't have a mental list of what
each one was - I wasn't expecting to need one.
[1] Ah. I know why I think of them as "folders". The "Move To" button
has a Windows-type folder symbol on it.
2017-04-20 21:05:43 UTC
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 21:21:08 +0100, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
I accidentally "archived" a number of emails in my gmail account (I had
intended to move them from the inbox to a suitable folder but clicked
Folder?
I don't have folders, just tags - which is fine as you can then apply
several tags if it seems appropriate.
Oh it's the wrong word I'm sure - if gmail troubles itself to explain
its philosophy to the user I haven't come across it.
--8<-- snip of explanation of how you use gmail

I used the wrong word too, gmail calls them labels, not tags.
You can set up filters to attach the appropriate label to your incoming
mail as it arrives which would save you the housekeeping task you do.

[Inbox] is a label too and, unless you tell it otherwise, all mail has
[inbox] attached to it when it arrives, pressing archive merely removes the
[inbox] label but any other label automatically attached (by your filters)
remains so you can find things just by clicking the appropriate
label/folder (whether they still have [inbox] attached or not).

I suggest it would be worth creating filters based upon your existing
labels/folders - you can use emails already sorted to create the filters
from (select message then find 'Filter messages like these' from the
More... menu. It will offer to label all the matching emails so may pick up
some you have missed. You can create as many filters as you need to ensure
all the 'banana' correspondence gets put in the 'banana' box based upon who
it is to, who it is from, any word in title or body and so on.

Another feature I like is the ability to specify a colour for each label so
I can spot at a glance if anything has arrived from a family member,
Instantly see responses to Geograph tickets etc.
2017-04-20 21:38:48 UTC
Another feature I like is the ability to specify a colour for each label so
I can spot at a glance if anything has arrived from a family member,
Instantly see responses to Geograph tickets etc.
Yes, this is one of the more useful features.