Sunday spoiler
2018-01-14 22:41:44 UTC

Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
2018-01-14 22:58:48 UTC
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Could one of the bodies Rob killed be polluting the Am? Will it be
Scruff or Umbrella(he apparently went home after Rob was seen
falsifying accounts or something)
198kHz
2018-01-14 23:33:20 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Could one of the bodies Rob killed be polluting the Am? Will it be
Scruff or Umbrella(he apparently went home after Rob was seen
falsifying accounts or something)
Scruff came back, eventually.
Umbrella (Stefan?) also returned and tried to blackmail Rob.
198kHz
Mike
2018-01-15 14:18:24 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Could one of the bodies Rob killed be polluting the Am? Will it be
Scruff or Umbrella(he apparently went home after Rob was seen
falsifying accounts or something)
Continuity sayeth after Monday repeat: The way Roy reacted I thought he had
seen an alligator!
the Omrud
2018-01-15 16:17:10 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Could one of the bodies Rob killed be polluting the Am? Will it be
Scruff or Umbrella(he apparently went home after Rob was seen
falsifying accounts or something)
Continuity sayeth after Monday repeat: The way Roy reacted I thought he had
seen an alligator!
That's what I said to Wife. Well, actually I said "crocodile".
David
Mike
2018-01-15 16:28:48 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
Post by Vicky
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Could one of the bodies Rob killed be polluting the Am? Will it be
Scruff or Umbrella(he apparently went home after Rob was seen
falsifying accounts or something)
Continuity sayeth after Monday repeat: The way Roy reacted I thought he had
seen an alligator!
That's what I said to Wife. Well, actually I said "crocodile".
Close enough - either set of jaws pursuing you in the Am is likely to
effect a similar reaction!
2018-01-15 16:49:30 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
Post by Vicky
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
I did have that thought.
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
Post by Vicky
Could one of the bodies Rob killed be polluting the Am? Will it be
Scruff or Umbrella(he apparently went home after Rob was seen
falsifying accounts or something)
No, I think that's what we're supposed to think. More likely to be an
agrochemical, I fear.
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
Continuity sayeth after Monday repeat: The way Roy reacted I thought he had
seen an alligator!
That's what I said to Wife. Well, actually I said "crocodile".
Indeed! Or a body floating by.

Since she was - at least I didn't hear anyone else - the only one who
actually turned up for this swimming "dare" (or whatever it was: _have_
we had it in previous years, or is it just an invention for this year?),
I'm wondering if there will be "amusing" situations when the police
arrive. "Hmm, you were - swimming? Yes, madam." (Or whatever word they
use as an equivalent to "sir" in such circumstances. They have great
expertise in imbuing "sir" with disdain!)

The best way to achieve immortality is by not dying.
p***@never.here
2018-01-16 10:27:55 UTC
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 16:49:30 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:

snipped
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Indeed! Or a body floating by.
Since she was - at least I didn't hear anyone else - the only one who
actually turned up for this swimming "dare" (or whatever it was: _have_
we had it in previous years, or is it just an invention for this year?),
I was tempted to ask the same question. I've been following TA for
more years than I care to remember but I can't remember any reference
to a " traditional New Year swim" before. Can any umrat?
Pete
Penny
2018-01-16 12:14:04 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Indeed! Or a body floating by.
Since she was - at least I didn't hear anyone else - the only one who
actually turned up for this swimming "dare" (or whatever it was: _have_
we had it in previous years, or is it just an invention for this year?),
I was tempted to ask the same question. I've been following TA for
more years than I care to remember but I can't remember any reference
to a " traditional New Year swim" before. Can any umrat?
There are plenty of places where this *is* a tradition so I just took that
as what was meant - starting a new tradition here.

Apparently cold water swimming brings on a euphoric state - never been
tempted myself.

2018-01-16 19:28:02 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Indeed! Or a body floating by.
Since she was - at least I didn't hear anyone else - the only one who
actually turned up for this swimming "dare" (or whatever it was: _have_
we had it in previous years, or is it just an invention for this year?),
I was tempted to ask the same question. I've been following TA for
more years than I care to remember but I can't remember any reference
to a " traditional New Year swim" before. Can any umrat?
New to us too.
Sincerely Chris
The Serpentine dip has regularly featured on the National News.
2018-01-16 22:32:28 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Indeed! Or a body floating by.
Since she was - at least I didn't hear anyone else - the only one who
actually turned up for this swimming "dare" (or whatever it was: _have_
we had it in previous years, or is it just an invention for this year?),
I was tempted to ask the same question. I've been following TA for
more years than I care to remember but I can't remember any reference
to a " traditional New Year swim" before. Can any umrat?
New to us too.
Sincerely Chris
The Serpentine dip has regularly featured on the National News.
Oh, perhaps this is a Serpentine tubstitute;-)
2018-01-16 23:39:34 UTC
The Serpentine dip has regularly featured on the National News.
Oh, perhaps this is a Serpentine tubstitute;-)
Oh, well played, sir!

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I
have one. -Cato the Elder, statesman, soldier, and writer (234-149 BCE)
Chris J Dixon
2018-01-17 08:23:19 UTC
The Serpentine dip has regularly featured on the National News.
Oh, perhaps this is a Serpentine tubstitute;-)
Bravo!

***@cdixon.me.uk
Plant amazing Acers.
p***@never.here
2018-01-17 11:45:31 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Indeed! Or a body floating by.
Since she was - at least I didn't hear anyone else - the only one who
actually turned up for this swimming "dare" (or whatever it was: _have_
we had it in previous years, or is it just an invention for this year?),
I was tempted to ask the same question. I've been following TA for
more years than I care to remember but I can't remember any reference
to a " traditional New Year swim" before. Can any umrat?
New to us too.
Sincerely Chris
The Serpentine dip has regularly featured on the National News.
Agreed, but I was asking about Ambridge and the Am.
Pete
Btms
2018-01-17 15:29:04 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Indeed! Or a body floating by.
Since she was - at least I didn't hear anyone else - the only one who
actually turned up for this swimming "dare" (or whatever it was: _have_
we had it in previous years, or is it just an invention for this year?),
I was tempted to ask the same question. I've been following TA for
more years than I care to remember but I can't remember any reference
to a " traditional New Year swim" before. Can any umrat?
New to us too.
Sincerely Chris
The Serpentine dip has regularly featured on the National News.
Agreed, but I was asking about Ambridge and the Am.
Yes but I thought Chris was saying she had not heard of this anywhere.
However, I think I may have misunderstood her reference to the idea as a
new one.
2018-01-19 10:58:32 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Indeed! Or a body floating by.
Since she was - at least I didn't hear anyone else - the only one who
actually turned up for this swimming "dare" (or whatever it was: _have_
we had it in previous years, or is it just an invention for this year?),
I was tempted to ask the same question. I've been following TA for
more years than I care to remember but I can't remember any reference
to a " traditional New Year swim" before. Can any umrat?
New to us too.
Sincerely Chris
The Serpentine dip has regularly featured on the National News.
Yes, but I was thinking in Ambridge as presumably that was why it was
featured without a proper introduction, though quite likely what you say is
what the SW meant us to get the drift from.

2018-01-19 12:36:18 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Indeed! Or a body floating by.
Since she was - at least I didn't hear anyone else - the only one who
actually turned up for this swimming "dare" (or whatever it was: _have_
we had it in previous years, or is it just an invention for this year?),
I was tempted to ask the same question. I've been following TA for
more years than I care to remember but I can't remember any reference
to a " traditional New Year swim" before. Can any umrat?
New to us too.
Sincerely Chris
The Serpentine dip has regularly featured on the National News.
Yes, but I was thinking in Ambridge as presumably that was why it was
featured without a proper introduction, though quite likely what you say is
what the SW meant us to get the drift from.
There's a lot of it about - the Loony Dook into various bits of the
Firth of Forth is another, and a friend of mine took part in a Cornish
one as well.
2018-01-19 18:18:50 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, but I was thinking in Ambridge as presumably that was why it was
featured without a proper introduction, though quite likely what you say is
what the SW meant us to get the drift from.
There's a lot of it about - the Loony Dook into various bits of the
Firth of Forth is another, and a friend of mine took part in a Cornish
one as well.
Yes, so I can imagine Alice thinking it up whilst drunk over
Christmas. But the fact that we have heard nothing about it, not even
anecdotally down The Bull, as in "Wow! did you hear what Alice and XXX
did on NYD? Are they completely barking?", is poor script writing
IMO. Just to suddenly have Kirsty and Roy wandering down to the Am on
a cold afternoon is extremely random.
2018-01-19 19:21:01 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, but I was thinking in Ambridge as presumably that was why it was
featured without a proper introduction, though quite likely what you say is
what the SW meant us to get the drift from.
There's a lot of it about - the Loony Dook into various bits of the
Firth of Forth is another, and a friend of mine took part in a Cornish
one as well.
Yes, so I can imagine Alice thinking it up whilst drunk over
Christmas. But the fact that we have heard nothing about it, not even
anecdotally down The Bull, as in "Wow! did you hear what Alice and XXX
did on NYD? Are they completely barking?", is poor script writing
IMO. Just to suddenly have Kirsty and Roy wandering down to the Am on
a cold afternoon is extremely random.
A bit of spoiler space

And now on Friday evening we have a couple of sudden flashes of
self-awareness and plans for behavioural change....
2018-01-19 19:28:58 UTC
Post by Fenny
Yes, so I can imagine Alice thinking it up whilst drunk over
Christmas. But the fact that we have heard nothing about it, not even
anecdotally down The Bull, as in "Wow! did you hear what Alice and XXX
did on NYD? Are they completely barking?", is poor script writing
IMO. Just to suddenly have Kirsty and Roy wandering down to the Am on
a cold afternoon is extremely random.
Yes, we heard about it, on NYD. That was where Alice told Ed about Pip
being pregnant.

You can read the summary at <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09k1frx>.
Q. What's purple and shouts "Help"?
A. A damson in distress.
Fenny
2018-01-19 22:34:48 UTC
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 19:28:58 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Fenny
Yes, so I can imagine Alice thinking it up whilst drunk over
Christmas. But the fact that we have heard nothing about it, not even
anecdotally down The Bull, as in "Wow! did you hear what Alice and XXX
did on NYD? Are they completely barking?", is poor script writing
IMO. Just to suddenly have Kirsty and Roy wandering down to the Am on
a cold afternoon is extremely random.
Yes, we heard about it, on NYD. That was where Alice told Ed about Pip
being pregnant.
You can read the summary at <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09k1frx>.
Shows how much attention I was paying! Probably down to me being home
for the first time in over a week and luxuriating in my solitude :-)
2018-01-20 11:31:26 UTC
Post by Fenny
Yes, so I can imagine Alice thinking it up whilst drunk over
Christmas. But the fact that we have heard nothing about it, not even
anecdotally down The Bull, as in "Wow! did you hear what Alice and XXX
did on NYD? Are they completely barking?", is poor script writing
IMO. Just to suddenly have Kirsty and Roy wandering down to the Am on
a cold afternoon is extremely random.
Yes, we heard about it, on NYD. That was where Alice told Ed about Pip
being pregnant.
You can read the summary at <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09k1frx>.
So yet another epi has slipped my mind.

2018-01-19 19:34:20 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, but I was thinking in Ambridge as presumably that was why it was
featured without a proper introduction, though quite likely what you say is
what the SW meant us to get the drift from.
There's a lot of it about - the Loony Dook into various bits of the
Firth of Forth is another, and a friend of mine took part in a Cornish
one as well.
Yes, so I can imagine Alice thinking it up whilst drunk over
Christmas. But the fact that we have heard nothing about it, not even
anecdotally down The Bull, as in "Wow! did you hear what Alice and XXX
did on NYD? Are they completely barking?", is poor script writing
IMO. Just to suddenly have Kirsty and Roy wandering down to the Am on
a cold afternoon is extremely random.
Yes, that was what caused me to raise it in this thread: OK, I'm pretty
bad at paying attention, but I don't _think_ I'd heard _any_ discussion
about it before this episode. And from the number of people Kirsty was
saying had made their excuses _not_ to come, there must have been some
such discussions.

The main and the most glorious achievement of television is that it is killing
the art of conversation. If we think of the type of conversation television is
helping to kill, our gratitude must be undying. (George Mikes, "How to be
Inimitable" [1960].)
Flop
2018-01-19 21:52:23 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris McMillan
Yes, but I was thinking in Ambridge as presumably that was why it was
featured without a proper introduction, though quite likely what you say is
what the SW meant us to get the drift from.
There's a lot of it about - the Loony Dook into various bits of the
Firth of Forth is another, and a friend of mine took part in a Cornish
one as well.
Yes, so I can imagine Alice thinking it up whilst drunk over
Christmas. But the fact that we have heard nothing about it, not even
anecdotally down The Bull, as in "Wow! did you hear what Alice and XXX
did on NYD? Are they completely barking?", is poor script writing
IMO. Just to suddenly have Kirsty and Roy wandering down to the Am on
a cold afternoon is extremely random.
The scriptwriters are trying to be more even-handed.

We have had so many storylines just disappearing into thin air.

It is time for more to just appear from nowhere.
--
Flop
General Norman Schwarzkopf was asked if he thought there was room for
OUR job is to arrange the meeting."
Anne B
2018-01-20 20:44:40 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
There's been one at Burghead for decades, and there's one at Cullen or
Hopeman I think. I reckon the Moray Firth is too cold for a dook in
August, let alone in midwinter.

Anne B
Btms
2018-01-21 08:08:15 UTC
Post by Kate B
There's a lot of it about - the Loony Dook into various bits of the
Firth of Forth is another, and a friend of mine took part in a Cornish
one as well.
Bude.
I say - steady on, Bottoms! There's really no need to be like that
about it.
2018-01-21 13:16:56 UTC
Post by Kate B
There's a lot of it about - the Loony Dook into various bits of the
Firth of Forth is another, and a friend of mine took part in a Cornish
one as well.
Bude.
I say - steady on, Bottoms! There's really no need to be like that
about it.
🙄 And greetings from ⛷
2018-01-20 21:02:50 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Indeed! Or a body floating by.
Since she was - at least I didn't hear anyone else - the only one who
actually turned up for this swimming "dare" (or whatever it was: _have_
we had it in previous years, or is it just an invention for this year?),
I was tempted to ask the same question. I've been following TA for
more years than I care to remember but I can't remember any reference
to a " traditional New Year swim" before. Can any umrat?
New to us too.
Sincerely Chris
The Serpentine dip has regularly featured on the National News.
Yes, but I was thinking in Ambridge as presumably that was why it was
featured without a proper introduction, though quite likely what you say is
what the SW meant us to get the drift from.
Sincerely Chris
Yes. More of a sheeps deep in Borsetshire.
2018-01-15 18:03:05 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Could one of the bodies Rob killed be polluting the Am? Will it be
Scruff or Umbrella(he apparently went home after Rob was seen
falsifying accounts or something)
Continuity sayeth after Monday repeat: The way Roy reacted I thought he had
seen an alligator!
That's what I said to Wife.  Well, actually I said "crocodile".
My money was on the Hob Hound.

2018-01-15 18:24:31 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Could one of the bodies Rob killed be polluting the Am? Will it be
Scruff or Umbrella(he apparently went home after Rob was seen
falsifying accounts or something)
Continuity sayeth after Monday repeat: The way Roy reacted I thought he had
seen an alligator!
That's what I said to Wife.  Well, actually I said "crocodile".
My money was on the Hob Hound.
john
You don’t want ter go messin’ wiv tha’ ‘ob ‘ound Kirsty Miller!
2018-01-15 18:34:45 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Could one of the bodies Rob killed be polluting the Am? Will it be
Scruff or Umbrella(he apparently went home after Rob was seen
falsifying accounts or something)
Continuity sayeth after Monday repeat: The way Roy reacted I thought he had
seen an alligator!
That's what I said to Wife.  Well, actually I said "crocodile".
My money was on the Hob Hound.
I blame the teachers.
2018-01-15 19:28:05 UTC
  On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 22:41:44 +0000, LFS
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Could one of the bodies Rob killed be polluting the Am? Will it be
Scruff or Umbrella(he apparently went home after Rob was seen
falsifying accounts or something)
Continuity sayeth after Monday repeat: The way Roy reacted I thought he had
seen an alligator!
That's what I said to Wife.  Well, actually I said "crocodile".
My money was on the Hob Hound.
I blame the teachers.
More probably gin - Scruff - than whisky...
2018-01-15 08:57:09 UTC
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
I am of the same opinion!
2018-01-15 09:11:25 UTC
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Exactly McT’s comment!!

2018-01-15 09:12:52 UTC
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Exactly McT’s comment!!
Sincerely Chris
It can only be one person!

2018-01-15 09:55:45 UTC
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Something is rotten in the state of AmMark!
2018-01-15 10:02:02 UTC
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs. The Am pollution is more
likely to be runoff from somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to someone just
finishing scraping out the muck the other day? Can't remember who or which
farm, but it looks like a signpost now.
2018-01-15 11:51:28 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs. The Am pollution is more
likely to be runoff from somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to someone just
finishing scraping out the muck the other day? Can't remember who or which
farm, but it looks like a signpost now.
How about run off of essential oils, from Kate's yurts?
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it. (Anon)
Flop
2018-01-15 12:06:30 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs. The Am pollution is more
likely to be runoff from somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to someone just
finishing scraping out the muck the other day? Can't remember who or which
farm, but it looks like a signpost now.
How about run off of essential oils, from Kate's yurts?
But if Matt's first accident wasn't an accident.....
Clive Arthur
2018-01-15 13:06:13 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs. The Am pollution is more
likely to be runoff from somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to someone just
finishing scraping out the muck the other day? Can't remember who or which
farm, but it looks like a signpost now.
How about run off of essential oils, from Kate's yurts?
Nah, it's a Tumble Tussock leak.

Cheers
Clive
Mike
2018-01-15 13:13:42 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs. The Am pollution is more
likely to be runoff from somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to someone just
finishing scraping out the muck the other day? Can't remember who or which
farm, but it looks like a signpost now.
How about run off of essential oils, from Kate's yurts?
Nah, it's a Tumble Tussock leak.
Cheers
Well, Eddie and Joe would shrug that off but... Clarrieluv would be
be-Cider self.
Clive Arthur
2018-01-15 18:58:46 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs. The Am pollution is more
likely to be runoff from somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to someone just
finishing scraping out the muck the other day? Can't remember who or which
farm, but it looks like a signpost now.
How about run off of essential oils, from Kate's yurts?
Nah, it's a Tumble Tussock leak.
Cheers
Well, Eddie and Joe would shrug that off but... Clarrieluv would be
be-Cider self.
The Grundies look to be making quite a success of this Tumble Tussock.
Lexi obviously likes it and I expect Eddie wants to be big in cider.

(c) Humph.

Cheers
Clive
Serena Blanchflower
2018-01-15 13:14:52 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs. The Am pollution is more
likely to be runoff from somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to someone just
finishing scraping out the muck the other day? Can't remember who or which
farm, but it looks like a signpost now.
How about run off of essential oils, from Kate's yurts?
Nah, it's a Tumble Tussock leak.
Or, possibly, something connected with the proposed change of
agronomist. Either a run off from one of the farms he works for, of
chemicals he recommends or a run off from Home Farm, caused by Adam's
preferred methods of farming.
The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than
those who try to do nothing and succeed. (Lloyd Jones)
Btms
2018-01-15 18:42:37 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs. The Am pollution is more
likely to be runoff from somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to someone just
finishing scraping out the muck the other day? Can't remember who or which
farm, but it looks like a signpost now.
How about run off of essential oils, from Kate's yurts?
Nah, it's a Tumble Tussock leak.
Cheers
But that’s made from apples, not leaks. Igmc
2018-01-15 16:49:57 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs. The Am pollution is more
likely to be runoff from somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to someone just
finishing scraping out the muck the other day? Can't remember who or which
farm, but it looks like a signpost now.
How about run off of essential oils, from Kate's yurts?
I'd really love it to be that!

The best way to achieve immortality is by not dying.
Mike
2018-01-15 17:20:30 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by LFS
Someone has obviously been dumping kefir in the Am....
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs. The Am pollution is more
likely to be runoff from somewhere. Wasn't there a reference to someone just
finishing scraping out the muck the other day? Can't remember who or which
farm, but it looks like a signpost now.
How about run off of essential oils, from Kate's yurts?
I'd really love it to be that!
That’s a very yurtful comment to make but, perhaps Nolly was loitering with
in tent awaiting her opportunity to take revenge on her incompetent mother.
2018-01-19 13:03:21 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs.
I believe feeding food waste to poor pigs is illegal.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2018-01-19 14:48:43 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs.
I believe feeding food waste to poor pigs is illegal.
Indeed it is, all pigswill must be sterilized before it is scoffed.
2018-01-19 19:39:52 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs.
I believe feeding food waste to poor pigs is illegal.
Indeed it is, all pigswill must be sterilized before it is scoffed.
Food waste that is food humans have left (i. e. meal leftovers), yes.
The Kefir is food that humans have never bought.

I was amused at Susan's new idea - if it can't be sold for its taste,
sell it as something with health benefits. I thought at first that she
was suggesting selling it as a skin cream or something similar, but it
seems she is still thinking of it as being consumed: she's right that
the various little bottles of off milk do seem to sell for exorbitant
prices, but from the single example (of one of those, not Kefir) I was
eventually persuaded to try, they'll have a much larger market if it
_does_ taste nice. (I. e. the one I tried did - strawberry flavour IIRR;
I suppose stuff that tastes nasty will still sell to the hair shirt
brigade, but that's a much smaller market.)

Inimitable" [1960].)
Flop
2018-01-19 21:50:14 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
[...]
Does anyone have any idea of the cost involved in obtaining clinical
evidence for a health related claim?

Bridge Farm could not. BL would be pushed to fund such trials.

And "that's a much smaller market".
Phil
2018-01-20 06:53:14 UTC
Post by Flop
Does anyone have any idea of the cost involved in obtaining clinical
evidence for a health related claim?
Bridge Farm could not. BL would be pushed to fund such trials.
And "that's a much smaller market".
<cynic mode>
Approximately £0. See homeopathy etc.
--
Phil
Liverpool, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-01-20 09:53:34 UTC
Post by Phil
Post by Flop
Does anyone have any idea of the cost involved in obtaining clinical
evidence for a health related claim?
Bridge Farm could not. BL would be pushed to fund such trials.
And "that's a much smaller market".
<cynic mode>
Approximately £0. See homeopathy etc.
My thoughts exactly. OK, not quite 0, as it's probably wise to have a
good lawyer check your text to make sure there's nothing in it that can
be challenged, but. Having recently wandered round a branch of
Netherland and Housebuilder (as my friend wanted to; I'd never go in
there, except about once a decade when I want some malt extract, which I
buy purely because I like the taste, and they're one of the few places I
can be fairly sure have it), I am sure they could find some way of
marketing the kefir that wouldn't be illegal. (I don't think even
"clinically tested" has any defined meaning.)

The squeamish will squeam a lot.
(Barry Norman on the film "300", in Radio Times 30 March-5 April 2013.)
Anne B
2018-01-20 20:42:17 UTC
Having recently wandered round a branch of Netherland and Housebuilder
It's not a synonym, ackshly. The Netherlands has 12 provinces of which
only two are called Holland.

Anne B
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-01-20 20:55:59 UTC
Post by Anne B
Having recently wandered round a branch of Netherland and Housebuilder
It's not a synonym, ackshly. The Netherlands has 12 provinces of which
only two are called Holland.
I know; it was only a spur-of-the-moment usage (-:. [The other lot
aren't the only housebuilders, either.]
Post by Anne B
Anne B
(And there are Hollands in the UK, IIRR.)

While no one was paying attention, weather reports became accurate and the
news became fiction. Did not see that coming. - Scott Adams, 2015
Anne B
2018-01-21 18:44:49 UTC
Post by Anne B
Anne B
(And there are Hollands in the UK, IIRR.)
Yes, there are. One in Orkney springs to mind.

Anne B
Chris McMillan
2018-01-22 11:28:36 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Anne B
Anne B
(And there are Hollands in the UK, IIRR.)
Yes, there are. One in Orkney springs to mind.
Anne B
Wiki he say too. “The Parts of Holland is a historical subdivision used in
south-east Lincolnshire, England from 1889 to 1974.[1] The name is still
recognised locally and survives in the district of South Holland.”

Sincerely Chris
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-01-22 13:46:29 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(And there are Hollands in the UK, IIRR.)
Yes, there are. One in Orkney springs to mind.
Anne B
Wiki he say too. “The Parts of Holland is a historical subdivision used in
south-east Lincolnshire, England from 1889 to 1974.[1] The name is still
recognised locally and survives in the district of South Holland.”
Parts being a singular noun. I don't know how the three subdivisions of
Lincolnshire (Holland, Kesteven and Lindsey) are referred to
collectively: Partes, Partses or even Parts.

I approach these serious matters with trepidation lately as I got chewed
up somewhat recently. I was annoyed by somebody on the wireless who
ought to have known better who spoke of "criterias", on top of a medical
character in a TV drama speaking of "the MRSA bacteria". Apparently
anything goes these days and you can spell as you like, and if you don't
like it you are worse than those Nazis.

I blame the teachers.

Rotaa
Penny
2018-01-22 18:17:35 UTC
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 13:46:29 +0000, Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
a medical
character in a TV drama speaking of "the MRSA bacteria"
I don't see much wrong with that, a bacterium is never alone for long.
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-01-22 19:03:40 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
a medical
character in a TV drama speaking of "the MRSA bacteria"
I don't see much wrong with that, a bacterium is never alone for long.
Well, obviously there are lots of the little beasties and they are all
bacteria, but it's the MRSA, or Staphylococcus aureu, bacteriUM, as
opposed to the Clostridium difficile bacteriUM. And don't get me started
on those who pronounce the latter as if it's French and not Latin.

Rotaa
Mike
2018-01-23 09:06:53 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
a medical
character in a TV drama speaking of "the MRSA bacteria"
I don't see much wrong with that, a bacterium is never alone for long.
Well, obviously there are lots of the little beasties and they are all
bacteria, but it's the MRSA, or Staphylococcus aureu, bacteriUM, as
opposed to the Clostridium difficile bacteriUM. And don't get me started
on those who pronounce the latter as if it's French and not Latin.
Rotaa
I read them as though they were French Letters....
Flop
2018-01-21 10:02:25 UTC
Post by Phil
[...]
Agreed - marketing is the key.

However, the ASA is very strict on claims for any product which even
hints at a health benefit.

https://www.asa.org.uk/type/non_broadcast/code_section/12.html

----
ps your N&H are exceptionally good at interpreting advertising
restrictions. They advertise their vitamins as cheaper than major
competitors. Then advise a daily dose* that is twice that of any others.

* - the one thing about vitamins that is not regulated.
BrritSki
2018-01-19 15:18:17 UTC
What about rich pigs ?
Jim Easterbrook
2018-01-19 15:24:31 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs.
I believe feeding food waste to poor pigs is illegal.
What about rich pigs ?
They live in tax havens where the laws are different.
F'r'Us :)
Mike
2018-01-19 15:26:38 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs.
I believe feeding food waste to poor pigs is illegal.
What about rich pigs ?
Feeding the Conservative party - don’t encourage ‘em!
2018-01-19 15:56:53 UTC
EU rules apply to them b******* as well.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Jenny M Benson
2018-01-19 18:22:04 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs.
Years ago I worked in a pub kitchen, along with the landlord's sister
who helped out on her parent's farm. We saved all the suitable waste
food for their pigs but were told not to include the banana peel (b
splits were the popular pud) because the pigs didn't like them. I was
surprised, therefore, to hear a pig owner on tv the other day saying
that their pigs were very partial to banana peel.
2018-01-19 18:36:29 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Surely the waste kefir will be fed to the pigs.
Years ago I worked in a pub kitchen, along with the landlord's sister
who helped out on her parent's farm. We saved all the suitable waste
food for their pigs but were told not to include the banana peel (b
splits were the popular pud) because the pigs didn't like them. I was
surprised, therefore, to hear a pig owner on tv the other day saying
that their pigs were very partial to banana peel.
Today’s GQT mentioned feeding the porcines tidbits from the kitchen and
pointed out that any garden produce that had entered the kitchen and thus
risked contamination from animal products should never be fed to piggy
wiggies and said there was an item on their website; doing my umratic duty,
I went to the website and found (at that time), no mention, not even a
squeak. No mention was made of animals coming into contact with any
foodstuffs whilst still growing ;-)
2018-01-19 22:11:23 UTC
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 18:22:04 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
Years ago I worked in a pub kitchen, along with the landlord's sister
who helped out on her parent's farm. We saved all the suitable waste
food for their pigs but were told not to include the banana peel (b
splits were the popular pud) because the pigs didn't like them. I was
surprised, therefore, to hear a pig owner on tv the other day saying
that their pigs were very partial to banana peel.
My friend's disabled daughter owned a goat which was particularly partial
to banana peel so I took to saving any we had from the compost bin and
taking them down to her when I visited friend. The goat would start
bleating as soon as she spotted me walking down the street. She liked
pineapple too and I'd take her the trimmings but we didn't eat pineapple as
often as bananas.

I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
2018-01-20 08:03:42 UTC
I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
I just wanted to say that I find that a particularly appealing sentence.
2018-01-20 08:16:13 UTC
I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
I just wanted to say that I find that a particularly appealing sentence.
A death sentence if the chickens are on warfarin. <fx: Bell tolls>

Also appealing ?
Penny
2018-01-20 10:10:01 UTC
On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 09:16:13 +0100, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
I just wanted to say that I find that a particularly appealing sentence.
:)
Post by BrritSki
A death sentence if the chickens are on warfarin. <fx: Bell tolls>
Ponders and decides if the hens had eaten the rat poison it probably
wouldn't be the grapefruit which killed them.
2018-01-20 11:03:49 UTC
I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
I just wanted to say that I find that a particularly appealing sentence.
... but perhaps a little eco citrical,
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-01-20 13:14:00 UTC
I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
I just wanted to say that I find that a particularly appealing sentence.
Not out. It was missing leg stump.

Rotaa
John Ashby
2018-01-20 14:12:56 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
I just wanted to say that I find that a particularly appealing sentence.
Not out. It was missing leg stump.
Rotaa
That would be "leghorn stump".

john
Rosalind Mitchell

Rotaa
Mike
2018-01-20 15:03:25 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
I just wanted to say that I find that a particularly appealing sentence.
Not out. It was missing leg stump.
Rotaa
That would be "leghorn stump".
Ooh, well played!
Rotaa
This way lies the Rhode to insanity.
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-01-20 17:41:39 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
I just wanted to say that I find that a particularly appealing sentence.
Not out. It was missing leg stump.
Rotaa
That would be "leghorn stump".
Ooh, well played!
Rotaa
This way lies the Rhode to insanity.
Surely you're Dorking Mr McToodles?

Rotaa
Mike
2018-01-20 18:10:14 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Mike
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
I just wanted to say that I find that a particularly appealing sentence.
Not out. It was missing leg stump.
Rotaa
That would be "leghorn stump".
Ooh, well played!
Rotaa
This way lies the Rhode to insanity.
Surely you're Dorking Mr McToodles?
Rotaa
I’m sorrel I mentioned it now.
2018-01-20 20:14:02 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Mike
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
I just wanted to say that I find that a particularly appealing sentence.
Not out. It was missing leg stump.
Rotaa
That would be "leghorn stump".
Ooh, well played!
Rotaa
This way lies the Rhode to insanity.
Surely you're Dorking Mr McToodles?
Rotaa
I’m sorrel I mentioned it now.
Enough of this banterm.

2018-01-20 09:46:20 UTC
I also took grapefruit skins to another friend's chickens.
I just wanted to say that I find that a particularly appealing sentence.
+1, now you mention it.

Min
2018-01-21 18:06:57 UTC
I can't believe a thread about nasty tasting kefir
being Good For You hasn't mentioned Filboid Studge
yet.

So I will.
Min
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-01-21 18:32:02 UTC
Post by Min
I can't believe a thread about nasty tasting kefir
being Good For You hasn't mentioned Filboid Studge
yet.
So I will.
Are you being saki, Min?

Rotaa
Min
Min
Penny
2018-01-21 23:21:07 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 10:06:57 -0800 (PST), Min <***@googlemail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Min
I can't believe a thread about nasty tasting kefir
being Good For You hasn't mentioned Filboid Studge
yet.
So I will.
I don't think i'd read that one before - certainly didn't remember it if I
had. It made me think of Shredded Wheat and was, quite possibly, written
with that product in mind.
Anthony Smith
"The Mouse that Helped"
Anthony Smith
2018-01-22 13:03:29 UTC
Post by Min
I can't believe a thread about nasty tasting kefir
being Good For You hasn't mentioned Filboid Studge
yet.
So I will.
--
Min